PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV and MLB Extra Innings package

BedfordChisox
08-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Folks,

On my DirecTV feed, the Sox broadcast of the 8/8 game vs. the Yankees is blacked out on Ch. 640 (Chicago Comcast Sports Net). No biggy... I have purchased the MLB Extra Innings package, so I tune over to Ch. 735 to watch the game. Well, it's the Yankee broadcast that they're showing on Ch. 735. I'd prefer to listen to Hawk and DJ, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm just happy to see the game.

On a whim, I decide to flip back around the channels (something about not wanting to watch baseball's richest man's home run trot). Lo and behold, the same game is being shown on Ch. 622 - the YES Network (the Yankees network). Note: While getting any of the channels in the 600s requires a premium package, the MLB Extra Innings package costs a lot more (for all practical purposes, it's a pay-per-view package)

Now, riddle me this: If DirecTV is going to black out a game on the sports package (the 600s), and move it to the MLB Extra Innings package (the 700s) wouldn't it make sense to:
1) Black out ALL broadcasts of the same game on the sports package (i.e. in this case, black out both Ch. 622 and Ch. 640) to create an incentive for the viewer to purchase the MLB Extra Innings package; or
2) If you're going to black out only one of the available broadcasts for a particular game, shouldn't you show the "blacked out" broadcast on the MLB Extra Innings package. In that way, you would create an incentive for the fans of a particular team to purchase the MLB Extra Innings package when their regular broadcast is one of those chosen for black out.

I noticed this same thing a few weeks ago during our series at Detroit. The Detroit Fox Sports Net station was showing the game (Ch. 636), but Ch. 640 was blacked out. Of course, the Detroit broadcast was what was fed to the MLB Extra Innings package.

I realize that this is not an issue when the Sox are on WGN (they're never blacked out on WGN), and I also know that I have no shot of getting the Sox broadcast if the game is showing on Ch. 26.

I would like to say that DirecTV is just being stupid, but I think I'm the fool. Since just about every MLB team has their "own" station, is there any incentive at all to purchasing the MLB Extra Innings package if the "powers that be" continue to black out only one of the two available feeds? It's too late to do anything about it now (no refunds after the season starts - Thanks DirecTV), but before I waste money next season, I thought I'd ask others here if they have noticed the same thing. If you have, and if you've dropped the MLB Extra Innings package on account of it, how many games have you not been able to see (discounting those games on Ch. 26) because of your decision to cancel it?

seventytwo
08-08-2005, 08:47 PM
You're only receiving the Yankee game on 622 because you have MLB Extra Innings. If you didn't fork out for MLB X-Innings, you wouldn't be seeing the feed on the local Fox sports channels.

BedfordChisox
08-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Okay, thanks. That answers the question. I had no idea that what was being blacked out (and "not blacked out") on my feed was dependent upon the fact that I have MLB Extra Innings. I guess I need to keep forking the ransom... err... payment over.

SOXfnNlansing
08-08-2005, 11:00 PM
why don't you just pay the $15/mo to watch all the Sox games on MLB.TV? That'll take care of the problem for the channel 26 games at least. You may still be stuck with the other announcers though.

MadCitySoxFan
08-09-2005, 10:50 AM
why don't you just pay the $15/mo to watch all the Sox games on MLB.TV? That'll take care of the problem for the channel 26 games at least. You may still be stuck with the other announcers though.

Since the feed on mlb.tv last night was the YES feed (awful, even worse when Paul O'Neill is in the booth), I fired up the radio feed of Rooney and Farmer and after some tinkering was able to synch it up pretty close to the tv feed. That's about ideal as far as I'm concerned. I just output the video from my laptop to a tv and it's pretty much like watching it on cable.

Baby Fisk
08-09-2005, 11:46 AM
I have had the Extra Innings package for two seasons now and would die without it. I'd only be able to see approx. 8-10 Sox games the entire year (national broadcasts or Jays games) if I didn't order it.

The feed situation is hit and miss. They usually alternate feeds, eg. Friday: Sox feed. Saturday: other team's feed. Sunday: Sox feed. A couple of times, I've gotten the Sox feed two games in a row. The worst was during the Boston series, when the powers that be decided to go with the blasted NESN feed three games in a row. Baby Fisk was very cranky over this. Some tantrums and irritability went down. :angry:

...of course, now whenever I get the other team's feed, I watch with the stereo on instead. If you've never watched a Sox game with scandinavian death metal playing loudly, you're missing out! :Rocker: