PDA

View Full Version : Garland and Buehrle's Cy chances hinge on these 3 weeks.

Jurr
08-08-2005, 06:35 PM
We are all starting to watch the papers throw around Garland and Buehrle as Cy Young candidates. Harden has a chance, and Halliday was looking like the man earlier. Mariano Rivera is also going to get some votes. However, as stupid as it is, Garland or Buehrle will be given the Cy Young if they come up big in the next couple of weeks.

Beating the Clevelands, Seattles, and Detroits of the world is a good thing. They are major league clubs, and they do matter in the standings. However, the media will not give these two players the props they deserve as far as Cy Young voting unless they look very good against the Red Sox, Yankees, and Twins. These teams are the media darlings (well, not so much the Twins anymore), and the Sox will be highly scrutinized during these upcoming games. People are still very sketptical about the Sox, and beating the Yankees and Red Sox will go a long way to getting the team that last stamp of respectability.

Now, we don't care what the media thinks, and we've said that all year long. However, when it's time to hand out hardware to the players, the media begins to matter a little more. If Garland and Buehrle come out strong against these high profile teams, they'll become the frontrunners.

If the two pitchers do have good showings and get the final media approval, who do we as Sox fans root for? I'm definitely a Buehrle guy, but I have a lot of love for Garland. The guy has been maligned the whole time he's been in Chicago, and now he's coming up huge. What are your thoughts? Who would you love to see holding up the Cy Young at the end of the year?

MarySwiss
08-08-2005, 06:39 PM
All things being equal? Co-winners.

PicktoCLick72
08-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Who Roy halliday?

chisoxfanatic
08-08-2005, 06:44 PM
I'd rather Buehrle over Garland. No knock against Garland, I do love him greatly as well; but, Buehrle's been busting his behind for us for quite a while now. It would be a textbook finish to the season for him to get some hardware to his name.

He gone
08-08-2005, 06:45 PM
All things being equal? Co-winners.

I agree :D:

Last night I was watching ESPN News and they said at the top of the broadcast that 2 CY Young candidates were pitching yesterday. I thought Cool they are going to talk about Garland and Clemans. WRONG! They were talking about Clemans and Carpenter :angry:

SCREW ESPN!!!!!!!!!

JB98
08-08-2005, 06:50 PM
I want to see Buerhle get it. Garland is having a helluva year, but I look at Mark as the leader of the best pitching staff in the league. Very few can match his consistency. With the success of the team, people around baseball are finally starting to realize how good he is. Up until this season, he's been a relative unknown, even in the city of Chicago.

Chisox003
08-08-2005, 06:57 PM
AHHH!!

On ESPN (I know, I know...Consider the source) they are going over AL Cy Youngs, and the guy goes "Ok, AL Cy Young. There's Jon Garland, Bob Wickman, and Mariano Rivera...."

WHAAAAAAAAT?!?! :thud: :roflmao:

RallyBowl
08-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Mark deserves it. Garland will get his.

mr_genius
08-08-2005, 07:03 PM
ESPN's expert analyst is going with Rivera. suprise suprise

also

Garland currently has better numbers than Buehrle. The Cy Young won't be based on which player has "busted their butt" better for the Sox over the past few years, IMO.

Rooney4Prez56
08-09-2005, 04:43 PM
I'm for Buehrle, and not because he's my favorite player! Buehrle has a lower ERA, and more IP. Buehrle has anchored this starting staff for years, and its time he got his due. Garland's having a career year, but he's been too inconsistent over the years.

Stroker Ace
08-09-2005, 04:51 PM
I'm going for Buehrle for the reasons posted above. He's gone out for the Sox for 5 years now and has given it his all. Garland has finally turned the corner and will get his in the near future.

GAsoxfan
08-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Garland currently has better numbers than Buehrle.

Garland has more wins than Buehrle, but that's about it. Buehrle has a lower ERA, more innings pitched, less walks, more strikeouts, higher winning %, lower WHIP, lower OBA and BAA. Granted, some of those numbers are very close (walks, WPCT, WHIP, and BAA), but the fact remains that Buehrle's are better. I don't see how you can say Garland has better numbers than Buehrle.

Garland has been great this year, but Buehrle has been the better pitcher, and if not for some crappy defense, he would have the same win totals as Garland.

Revolutn
08-09-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm lovin Garland's performance, however, I have to agree that Buehrle has been the core of the pitching staff for several years, and more consistant.

I'm elated that Garland has 'turned the corner' and hope he will continue to perform strong like we all knew he was capable of but heretofore not producing.

With Garland I have fears of a Loaiza style carreer year and then dropping off....but will be OH so Happy to be proven wrong.....only time and Garland will tell the tale of that tape....

SouthSiiiiiide!

Rev

Erik The Red
08-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Well, neither Buehrle nor Garland are pitching against the Yankees this series, and if the rotations aren't altered then they won't pitch against the Yanks in a couple weeks, either (according to a thread on the NYYFans board).

PicktoCLick72
08-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Why do people keep thinking Garland is going to fall of like Loiaza. Loiaza developed a new pitch no one could hit gor a year and a half but the league caught up to him. Garland has always had good stuff and finally was able to take hold of it this year. Do not compare the two, they are two different stories.

Optipessimism
08-09-2005, 10:38 PM
I hope Mark gets it. Garland is already going to get a big enough raise at the end of the season. We know how stingy JR can be at times, so lets not push it.

Chips
08-09-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm for Buehrle, and not because he's my favorite player! Buehrle has a lower ERA, and more IP. Buehrle has anchored this starting staff for years, and its time he got his due. Garland's having a career year, but he's been too inconsistent over the years.

I think the Cy Young award is given based on a pitchers performance in a given year not taking into consideration years past.

But I still like Mark for the award.

iamkoza
08-10-2005, 11:16 AM
IF rivera ends up with less than 50 saves, and the yankees miss the playoffs.... there is no way he should win the CY Young award, I would call the police and report a crime committed by east coast media types and have them all arrested :)

Iwritecode
08-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Well, neither Buehrle nor Garland are pitching against the Yankees this series, and if the rotations aren't altered then they won't pitch against the Yanks in a couple weeks, either (according to a thread on the NYYFans board).

Garland should pitch on the 19th against NY.