PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 8/10

Lip Man 1
08-08-2005, 05:07 PM
This Date In Sox History:

AUGUST 10, 1990

Attack of the Smurfs.....

Texas at Sox Game #2

In you had gone to Las Vegas to try to get odds on this it would be at least a thousand to one but it happened. Craig Grebeck and Ozzie Guillen were two of the smallest players in the major leagues. They were two of the smallest Sox players since the days of Luis Aparicio, Nellie Fox and later Harry Chappas....needless to say they weren’t much for the long ball.

Nolan Ryan was still one of the hardest throwers in baseball and a guy who could still throw a pitch at a hundred miles an hour if he had to.

The Sox had already won Game #1 of the make up twin bill 5-2 and were looking for the sweep. In the last of the 2nd inning with one out and two on, Grebeck came up to face Ryan. He hadn’t hit a home run all season. Lo and behold Grebeck tomahawked a high fastball high and deep into left field where the ball dropped about four rows into the seats of the lower deck for a three run home run.

Guillen came up as the next hitter, like Grebeck he hadn’t found the seats at all so far in 1990. But incredibly Ozzie swung at another fast ball and hit a screaming line drive that found the seats in right center field for a home run. Like Grebeck’s the ball made it in by only a few rows but it was still a home run and the Sox were on their way to a 5-1 win.

That’s not the end of the story however....Lance Johnson the next hitter got the high hard one before grounding out to end the inning. The Sox didn’t forget though that Ryan threw at him. The next week in Texas, Game #1 of another double header was marred by a fight out at second base in a game where Texas won 1-0 in 13 innings. Ryan went ten innings, allowing only three hits and striking out 15! The nightcap was won by the Sox 4-2 thanks to Carlton Fisk’s record setting home run off Charlie Hough. It gave him the most home runs by a catcher at that time.

The bad blood between the teams continued well into 1993 when Robin Ventura had enough of Ryan throwing at Sox hitters and charged the mound after he was knocked down. Ryan got the better of the fight, of course it helped that Ventura’s arms were being held by ‘Pudge’ Rodriguez!

And to think it all started when the two guys you’d least expect to hit Nolan Ryan took him back to back!

Lip

jackbrohamer
08-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Didn't Ryan hit Grebeck in the second of the two double headers, to punish him for hitting the HR a week earlier?

Trav
08-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Someone once told me that Ventura didn't want to charge the mound but there was an agreement that whoever was hit next would charge the mound. They say that after he got to Ryan he stopped to the point that Ryan's punches were landed after Robin had proven his (and the Sox) point. During his guest appearance during a recent Sox game (DJ asked him about the incident) he made no mention of this. That either shows that the above is untrue or that Robin is a heck of a guy. If anyone has more info on this please post.

shaunburnette
08-08-2005, 06:56 PM
:nolanventura

ouch

EastCoastSoxFan
08-09-2005, 10:40 AM
I was in the left field upper deck seats at Old Comiskey for the back-to-back jacks by Grebeck and Ozzie; and, as I recall, the fireworks debris hadn't even settled from Grebeck's homer before Ozzie launched his on Ryan's first pitch.
And I still don't recall which was louder, the laughing or the cheering...

ode to veeck
08-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Fisk called Ryan the toughest pitcher he ever faced

jdm2662
08-09-2005, 10:57 AM
I remember the fight very well. The first game at Texas, Ryan beamed Grebeck right in the ribs. The very first batter for Texas, Greg Hibbard clocked him and the fight broke out. Hell, even Jeff Torborg was in the middle getting some shots in. When everything settled down, here comes Ryan out of the dug out with his hand in the air. Any respect I had for him was lost on that day. Hawk never seemed to be big fan of his either.

And Lip, don't forget, the Fisk HR also set the record for most HRs as a White Sox.