PDA

View Full Version : Rowands Play: Best Catch Since....?

TomBradley72
08-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Looking at Rowand's catch in yesterday's WSox/Seattle game.....can anyone remember a more important/better catch by a White Sox outfielder? Near sell out crowd, Carlton Fisk Day, haven't won a series at home in a month, getting ready to go to Yankee Stadium and Fenway....between the quality of the catch and the overall context....can anyone think of an outfield play that had a greater impact? (no pun intended :))

EastCoastSoxFan
08-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Well, it wasn't a catch, but I remember Maggs throwing a guy out at the plate to preserve a tie game in the 8th inning of our first playoff game against the M's in 2000 (almost identical to the play that Barry Bonds failed to make against the Braves in game 7 of the '92 playoffs)...

mikeybooyah
08-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Looking at Rowand's catch in yesterday's WSox/Seattle game.....can anyone remember a more important/better catch by a White Sox outfielder? Near sell out crowd, Carlton Fisk Day, haven't won a series at home in a month, getting ready to go to Yankee Stadium and Fenway....between the quality of the catch and the overall context....can anyone think of an outfield play that had a greater impact? (no pun intended :))

I think it was the catch of the year, without a doubt. I think everyone thought it was gone except for Rowand. Huge win for the sox. I hope it gives us a lot of momentum heading into NYC and Boston.

Baby Fisk
08-08-2005, 04:51 PM
The Seattle announcers were shocked and stunned. Rowand made a great catch late in the game in Detroit on June 30th too (it comes to mind because I was there!), among several others this year. He's a grinder that's for sure.

Did anyone else watch him lying there and think he was muttering "Guys? A little help?"

DumpJerry
08-08-2005, 05:32 PM
I was there yesterday thinking Rowand was gone.:?:

Paulwny
08-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Greater impact but not a better catch.

From an article by Mike Downey/ Trib, interviewing Koufax:

"We had a chance in the seventh, but Lopez put Rivera in right field and he made an amazing over-the-shoulder catch with runners on. And their run held up."

At 69, Koufax's memory is as sharp as his curveball used to be.

Yes, that's the way Game 5 went down. Al Lopez, the wily White Sox manager, came out of the dugout in the seventh inning of Game 5 with two Los Angeles Dodgers on base. But not to take out the pitcher.

Instead, Lopez waved with his arm for Al Smith to move from right field over to left. Jim McAnany came out and into right field went "Jungle Jim" Rivera.

The batter, Charlie Neal, stung a Shaw pitch to right-center toward the gap of the Dodgers' converted football stadium, the Coliseum.

And just when it became obvious that fleet center fielder Jim Landis would not be able to get to the ball, out of nowhere came Rivera to make what commonly was referred to in those days as a circus catch.

Randar68
08-08-2005, 05:43 PM

This against a bottom-barrell team at home and having a significant double-digit lead?

I recall Chris Singleton making quite a few important and spectacular catches in our last playoff season coming down the stretch. Aside from the wall shots Rowand gives hiself, I don't think he's made one catch "spectacular" enough to make either Singleton or Cameron's top-5, if not 10...

Desert Rat
08-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Great catch by Rowand! He also made another clutch, sliding grab the first night in San Diego ( I was there for that one and it shut up the crowd pretty quick!)

MisterB
08-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Didn't Lance Johnson make a diving catch to preserve Wilson Alvarez' no-hitter back in '91? I seem to remember him making one.

TomBradley72
08-08-2005, 05:51 PM
This against a bottom-barrell team at home and having a significant double-digit lead?

I recall Chris Singleton making quite a few important and spectacular catches in our last playoff season coming down the stretch. Aside from the wall shots Rowand gives hiself, I don't think he's made one catch "spectacular" enough to make either Singleton or Cameron's top-5, if not 10...

Cameron only had significant time in 97 or 98...so I doubt any catch he made was equivalent to Aaron's yesterday as far as "context" goes. I'm sure Ken Berry made catches that we more spectacular....I was looking at quality + importance of a specific catch in a specific game. I coudn't remember a bigger one.

Randar68
08-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Cameron only had significant time in 97 or 98...so I doubt any catch he made was equivalent to Aaron's yesterday as far as "context" goes. I'm sure Ken Berry made catches that we more spectacular....I was looking at quality + importance of a specific catch in a specific game. I coudn't remember a bigger one.

This wasn't a big game, it was a big situation in a relatively meaningless game in the big picture. It was a very nice catch,but also being one that may have been made easier on Aaron had he not been watching the ball the whole way (slowing him down).

BTW, how many HR's has Rowand ever pulled back, because in just 2 full seasons with the Sox Cameron must have pulled back at least a dozen.

chisoxfanatic
08-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Did anyone else watch him lying there and think he was muttering "Guys? A little help?"

I was thinking..."They should edit his Win or Die Trying commercial and put THAT in there instead!"

Rowand's catch has to go down as the gutsiest of the season. The guy never fears the wall regardless of his speed while heading into the wall. He has won mroe than died trying, and his work ethic is contageous. I'd like for Pods and Dye to get into a little competition over who could make a more outstanding catch without getting injured in the process...

BeviBall!
08-08-2005, 05:58 PM
What about Valentin's catch in Cleveland? Diving into the stands in the 9th to pretty much lock up the division in 2000.

MsSoxVixen22
08-08-2005, 05:58 PM
The Seattle announcers were shocked and stunned. Rowand made a great catch late in the game in Detroit on June 30th too (it comes to mind because I was there!), among several others this year. He's a grinder that's for sure.

Yeah that's excactly what I was thinking too! It must've hurt like hell hitting the wall like he did. ARo is the ****. :gulp:

HITMEN OF 77
08-08-2005, 06:40 PM
That catch by Rowand was the best since last year in Detroit during the TBC game when Konerko caught that line drive with the bases loaded in 8th or 9th. That was amazing....

4th Gen. Sox Fan
08-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Best catch since the top of the 1st off of Jeter tonight.:luis&nell

Southsider101
08-08-2005, 08:54 PM
I was sitting in the bleachers yesterday and heard the thud when Rowand hit the wall. The only thing better than yesterday's catch was last April in a game against the Devil Ray's when Rowand had TWO outstanding catches. One was similar to yesterday's and the other was a Willy May's-like over the shoulder catch in deep center.

jabrch
08-08-2005, 09:07 PM

Wow...

Randar, I used to ride with you on the Rowand is a 4th OF, or Rowand can only be a corner OF at best. I have come around on this one. I can't name an AL CF who is clearly better defensively than Aaron. He has come a long way from where he was a few years ago. That catch - simply fantastic.

Steelrod
08-08-2005, 09:31 PM

Hope you are watching Monday night vs. New York. I don't recall either Singleton or Cameron having a defensive inning to compare with Aaron's 1st inning tonight!!!

soxwon
08-08-2005, 09:48 PM
pods catch last wednesday.

Randar68
08-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Wow...

Randar, I used to ride with you on the Rowand is a 4th OF, or Rowand can only be a corner OF at best. I have come around on this one. I can't name an AL CF who is clearly better defensively than Aaron. He has come a long way from where he was a few years ago. That catch - simply fantastic.

Tonight's catch was a much better and tougher play. That was a much better catch, IMO.

You ever hear of a guy named Torii? As much as we love to hate him, he has much better range than Rowand and again, how many HR's does Rowand pull back? I honestly can't remember him having done it once in his career.

Look, Rowand has come a long way, I'll be the first to admit that, but to compare him or hold him in a higher defensive esteem than Cameron, Singleton, or Torii is just silliness.

Randar68
08-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Hope you are watching Monday night vs. New York. I don't recall either Singleton or Cameron having a defensive inning to compare with Aaron's 1st inning tonight!!!

That second catch was a nice catch, but come on. Cameron and Singleton were much better defensive CF'ers than Rowand. It's really not close. If you can't recall that, then you might want to go back and watch some of the plays those guys made that Rowand would not have been within 15 feet of...

rowand33
08-08-2005, 10:27 PM
That second catch was a nice catch, but come on. Cameron and Singleton were much better defensive CF'ers than Rowand. It's really not close. If you can't recall that, then you might want to go back and watch some of the plays those guys made that Rowand would not have been within 15 feet of...

I think Rowand vs. Singleton can be argued

But the White Sox Mike Cameron is, IMO, one of the best center fielders to ever play the game and certainly the best center fielder I've ever seen.

His plays didn't look flashy cause he just knew where the ball was going.

Fantastic fielder.

Soxzilla
08-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Tonight's catch was a much better and tougher play. That was a much better catch, IMO.

You ever hear of a guy named Torii? As much as we love to hate him, he has much better range than Rowand and again, how many HR's does Rowand pull back? I honestly can't remember him having done it once in his career.

Look, Rowand has come a long way, I'll be the first to admit that, but to compare him or hold him in a higher defensive esteem than Cameron, Singleton, or Torii is just silliness.

Our rotation, the best since the early 90's, is much better then those that pitched when Cameron and Singleton patrolled CF. I think that is a pretty big part in your whole argument.

I honestly can't think of a time that Rowand's had the opportunity to pull back a homerun.

StockdaleForVeep
08-08-2005, 11:41 PM
I remember a great catch chris singleton made which ended up dislocating his thumb and therefore sending him on a slide that ended his chicago career

elrod
08-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Rowand's first catch tonight was spectacular because he was running full speed and didn't know where the wall was.

MIgrenade
08-09-2005, 12:00 AM

I deffinitely see Rowand on the El talking to the Devil...maybe that's why he took so long to get up.

danjames
08-09-2005, 12:00 AM
I've never understood the Singleton love. Maybe I was asleep/too young at the time, but he sure seemed to let a ton of balls drop in front of him. I was never a fan.

jabrch
08-09-2005, 01:25 AM
A) I deliberately left him off the list since he isn't active right now

B) If Hunter didn't play in the BaggyDome, with the short wall, he'd never pull most of those HRs away

C) Hunter doesn't have nearly the range Rowand does to his left and right. Hunter plays in a spot where he knows he can get to the wall. He doesn't cut off short balls and he doesn't cut gappers. He gets more ESPN highlight clips, but I wouldn't say he is as good as his press clippings say he is.

D) I'd still take a young Griffey Jr. or Jim Edmonds over any of them. Those are the best two I have ever seen.

doublem23
08-09-2005, 01:34 AM
The two best catches I've ever seen by someone in a Sox uniform...

- Ray Durham's circus, diving over the back grab in shallow RF against the Angels Opening Night, 2000.

- Chris Singleton leaping into and over the left/center wall robbing Paul O'Neill of a home run in... Oh, I don't know, 2001?

TomBradley72
08-09-2005, 09:51 AM
The two best catches I've ever seen by someone in a Sox uniform...

- Ray Durham's circus, diving over the back grab in shallow RF against the Angels Opening Night, 2000.

- Chris Singleton leaping into and over the left/center wall robbing Paul O'Neill of a home run in... Oh, I don't know, 2001?

What about Ivan Calderon's on Monday Night baseball in Detroit...late 80's...

harwar
08-09-2005, 10:38 AM
The two best catches by CFers that i've seen.
Ken Berry going up and over that little wall they put up in the outfield and the first thing we saw was his glove sticking up in the air from the other side.
Lance Johnson ("One dog') going full tilt boogie toward the wall in left center,digging his spikes in and going up the wall,catching the ball and falling back,holding on to the ball,and not getting injured.

Randar68
08-09-2005, 01:19 PM
B) If Hunter didn't play in the BaggyDome, with the short wall, he'd never pull most of those HRs away

Come on, now. That's silly. The dome wall is short, sure. However, Torii, on some of those catch has his head and shoulders higher than the top of that wall.

And the comment about Singleton's catch in Yankee stadium is right on. That was an AMAZING catch.

Also, when Cameron and Singleton played, the walls in Comiskey were further back and there was more ground to cover.

Randar68
08-09-2005, 01:20 PM
I've never understood the Singleton love. Maybe I was asleep/too young at the time, but he sure seemed to let a ton of balls drop in front of him. I was never a fan.

Great range, and not only a very strong arm, but very accurate as well. Took good routes on balls and generally made very good reads. He did have a problem on balls in front of him, but I don't ever recall him making a bad read on a ball that ended up over his head...

fquaye149
08-09-2005, 01:41 PM

Last I checked, Hunter is not playing baseball (nor is Singleton, I think)

and Cameron is in the NL.

I don't know who in the AL is a better defensive centerfielder right now (and is actually playing major league baseball)

Chez
08-09-2005, 01:54 PM
What about Ivan Calderon's on Monday Night baseball in Detroit...late 80's...

The Calderon catch gets my vote.

my5thbench
08-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Aaron's catch was amazing....however I'm sure if you ask Jim edmonds

he would gladly point out some better ones of his own, sorry I can't do teal

StockdaleForVeep
08-09-2005, 02:20 PM
If we're talking all time catches then id have to go with a Griffey Jr or Bo Jackson up the wall catch

SOX LA Mikey
08-09-2005, 03:00 PM
How about Pod's catch in Yankee Stadium last night?

Moises Alou take notes - in enemy territory No Less

Realist
08-09-2005, 03:33 PM
How about Pod's catch in Yankee Stadium last night?

Moises Alou take notes - in enemy territory No Less

That was another beauty. Dye made a very nice catch last nite also. The OF was really throwing the leather

FarmerAndy
08-09-2005, 04:26 PM
People keep bringing up Cameron and Singleton in remembering great centerfield catches in recent years. Nobody has mentioned Brian Simmons.

I remember a game in '99 when Simmons made 2 incredible catches out there, crashing into the wall hard both times. He never really had his chance out there because of a couple major injuries. It's hard to tell if he would have been a decent player or not, but he did make some amazing plays in center. He always sacraficed his body to make a catch too. Before Rowand took the nickname, Brian Simmons was the original "crash."