PDA

View Full Version : John Rooney's contract status

32nd&Wallace
08-08-2005, 02:11 PM
I saw in the Media Guide that Rooney's contract is up after 2005. Anybody know if the Sox have signed him to something long-term. Hopefully, he'll be broadcasting Sox games well into his old age.

dickallen15
08-08-2005, 02:27 PM
I saw in the Media Guide that Rooney's contract is up after 2005. Anybody know if the Sox have signed him to something long-term. Hopefully, he'll be broadcasting Sox games well into his old age.

I am almost certain he won't go anywhere. He had a chance to go to St. Louis a couple years ago, and he decided to stay.

rmusacch
08-08-2005, 02:52 PM

Is his contract with the Sox or with ESPN Radio 1000? Maybe his contract expiring coincides with the expiration of the Sox contract with ESPN Radio 1000. He may have to sign a new contract with the Score.

miker
08-08-2005, 02:58 PM
IIRC, the announcers are hired by the White Sox. If (and he should) re-signs, he will be doing the games on The Score.

Now if they could fix it so it doesn't sound like their signal is coming from upstate Wisconsin...

TornLabrum
08-08-2005, 03:16 PM

I've been trying to find this in the media guide and can't. What page is it on?

Hangar18
08-08-2005, 03:17 PM

The Cubs are SALIVATING at the chance at putting him in their booth...........
"Look in tomorrows Tribune for your commemorative pull-out of Long Time Cub Broadcaster John Rooney!"

TornLabrum
08-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Is his contract with the Sox or with ESPN Radio 1000? Maybe his contract expiring coincides with the expiration of the Sox contract with ESPN Radio 1000. He may have to sign a new contract with the Score.

Rooney and Farmer are employed by the Sox. Bryan Dolgin is employed by the radio station.

Ol' No. 2
08-08-2005, 03:31 PM
IIRC, the announcers are hired by the White Sox. If (and he should) re-signs, he will be doing the games on The Score.

Now if they could fix it so it doesn't sound like their signal is coming from upstate Wisconsin...That will be fixed, too. WSCR's signal is not directional, so it will be much better west of the city.

Stroker Ace
08-08-2005, 04:52 PM
With him and Farmer being the best radio team in the AL, he's not going anywhere.

downstairs
08-08-2005, 05:23 PM
With him and Farmer being the best radio team in the AL, he's not going anywhere.

Well, he and his agent may get some huge egos and ask too much. Negotiations can always go wrong, as we've seen with great players.

Hopefully not... but negotiations are not one-sided.

Brian26
08-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Well, he and his agent may get some huge egos and ask too much. Negotiations can always go wrong, as we've seen with great players.

Hopefully not... but negotiations are not one-sided.

John Rooney is that last person on this planet that would have a huge ego. He has a family rooted in the northwest burbs and has become a part of White Sox culture. The Sox will work something out with him.

halfpricemonday
08-08-2005, 11:11 PM
A little more info on Rooney's contract situation, from Fred Mitchell at the Cubune:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050808mitchell,1,27891.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Nothing too interesting, although I find it somewhat amusing that he refers to the "internet site" that rated Rooney and Farmio the best radio team in the AL. It wasn't just some random blogger with time on their hands; it was freaking USA Today!

Oh well, here's hoping we'll have many more years of Rooney and Farmer on the South Side.

Rooney4Prez56
08-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Maybe he can run for president, as my username suggests!
He could bring some White Sox attitude to the White House!

Seriously, I hope he stays, he's the best broadcaster in Chicago.