PDA

View Full Version : Are the 2005 WS = 1996 Yankees

FanofBill
08-08-2005, 01:16 PM
A lot of people has said that this team has a bunch of no names but any great team has to begin somewhere.
Look at the 96 Yankees, outside of NY at the time who knows of Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Andy Pettite, Mariano Rivera. But now they're household names. Noone expected the Yankees to win the World Series that year, most people thought that the Braves would have beat them.
After this year, Mark Buerle, Jon Garland, Tadahito Iguchi, Aaron Rowand, Scott Podsednik will be household names.

Rooney4Prez56
08-09-2005, 03:50 PM
I hope not....after that team, they got ESPN love. I don't want the Sox to get that much attention. I don't want the Sox to become the Yankees.

SomebodyToldMe
08-09-2005, 03:53 PM
I hope not....after that team, they got ESPN love. I don't want the Sox to get that much attention. I don't want the Sox to become the Yankees.

If they become the Yanks that win all those championships, I wouldn't mind.

Stroker Ace
08-09-2005, 03:55 PM
I was thinking about posting a thread that compared the 05 Sox to the 03 Marlins. Both teams won on pitching, defense, and speed. Both brought in a veteran catcher (Marlins- other pudge, Sox-A.J.), ESPN thought/thinks neither will go far in the playoffs, Both have great managers, and most importantly.... BOTH HAD OZZIE GUILLEN ON THE COACHING STAFF(Marlins- 3rd base, Sox- Manager.)

Sxy Mofo
08-09-2005, 03:59 PM
I was thinking about posting a thread that compared the 05 Sox to the 03 Marlins. Both teams won on pitching, defense, and speed. Both brought in a veteran catcher (Marlins- other pudge, Sox-A.J.), ESPN thought/thinks neither will go far in the playoffs, Both have great managers, and most importantly.... BOTH HAD OZZIE GUILLEN ON THE COACHING STAFF(Marlins- 3rd base, Sox- Manager.)

That's the team i see our sox most closely resembling (the make up anyway - our sox have won a lot more games). They had juan pierre, great pitching, good coaching, the O.Z.

Iguana775
08-09-2005, 04:08 PM

Yea, why would anyone want to win a world championship.... :rolleyes:

MsSoxVixen22
08-09-2005, 04:36 PM
I kinda like the fact that the Sox are flying under the radar that way when we win it all we can go back and give them crap!

downstairs
08-09-2005, 05:25 PM
I don't know... they kind of remind me of the 2005 White Sox.

Lets just hope that future MLB teams compare themselves to us.

Optipessimism
08-09-2005, 09:44 PM
I don't know... they kind of remind me of the 2005 White Sox.

Lets just hope that future MLB teams compare themselves to us.

Yeah, like the 2006 White Sox.

MIgrenade
08-09-2005, 09:49 PM
A lot of people has said that this team has a bunch of no names but any great team has to begin somewhere.
Look at the 96 Yankees, outside of NY at the time who knows of Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Andy Pettite, Mariano Rivera. But now they're household names. Noone expected the Yankees to win the World Series that year, most people thought that the Braves would have beat them.
After this year, Mark Buerle, Jon Garland, Tadahito Iguchi, Aaron Rowand, Scott Podsednik will be household names.

I kinda thought about this, but I wouldn't say anything until the Sox actually get some hardware. I also remember that team not having a ton of high average guys but a ton of low ERA's. I'll have to go back and check though.

SoxSpeed22
08-09-2005, 09:51 PM
I'm hopin' we wouldn't need anything as graceless as Jeffery Maier and Rich Garcia to bail us out in the ALCS.

Rooney4Prez56
08-09-2005, 09:53 PM

I just realized how bad that sounded. I meant to say I hope we dont become the Yankees in the sense that I'd rather have the Sox fly under the radar.

MIgrenade
08-09-2005, 10:00 PM
I was wrong, they had 4 guys hitting over .300. I'd say they could hit quite a bit better than the Sox.

FanofBill
08-09-2005, 10:45 PM
I was wrong, they had 4 guys hitting over .300. I'd say they could hit quite a bit better than the Sox.

Yeah, you're right. I checked too and they do have more stars on that team too, like Wetteland, David Cone, Wade Boggs. Hey, I didn't realize it but Tim Raines was on that team too.
Anyway, I just hope we get the same results as these 96 Yankees or 03 Marlins and win the Worls Series. It,s been too long.

Medford Bobby
08-09-2005, 11:02 PM
:D: 84 Tigers.................:cool: :bandance: