PDA

View Full Version : Flaws of the Messiah and Wood

eastchicagosoxfan
08-08-2005, 01:45 PM
I've read in this forum that both players have fundemental flaws that will continually relegate them to the DL. I'm just curious, but what are these flaws. I understand both have poor mechanics, but can someone elaborate.

Hangar18
08-08-2005, 01:55 PM
I've read in this forum that both players have fundemental flaws that will continually relegate them to the DL. I'm just curious, but what are these flaws. I understand both have poor mechanics, but can someone elaborate.

Wait a second ............ didnt the Sun-Times do a huge piece on how
The Messiahs mechanics were "perfect", and that there hasnt been a
pitcher with more perfect mechanics in decades?? ANyone remember that piece? Had an animated picture of The Messiah in full windup, noting step by step, each position of his delivery ........... and mentioning that his oversized (and blue panty-hosed) calves were a big reason for his being able to get so much Force and Energy into his pitches. Also spoke glowingly about how great Tom House must be, because he is the one responsible for teaching The Messiah these "perfect" mechanics. Anyone remember all the Media hulla-bulloo
about his "perfect mechanics"??????

BigEdWalsh
08-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Their biggest flaw is the team that they play for. Afterall, they're cursed. Tsk tsk.

1951Campbell
08-08-2005, 02:31 PM
Wood, Wood, Wood. Has a pitcher who never notched 15 wins in a season ever been so hyped?

PatK
08-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Wood doesn't drive with his legs, so all his velocity comes from his arm, putting strain on it.

He also throws across his body, further straining his arm. And not by choice (like El Duque), he varies his arm angle through his delivery, which results in his sometimes horrendous control, which makes him throw way more pitches than he should.

Tekijawa
08-08-2005, 03:24 PM
I don't think that there is anything wrong with Prior's Delivery. He's just had a couple of freak injuries. I honestly don't think that Prior learned the mental aspect of being a major league pitcher yet, especially when it comes to what type of injury you can work through and what type of injury you sit for. I think that he's been "coddled" for so long in preperation of being a great pitcher that he has a low "threshold" for pain, for lack of a better word. Example if you have been raised to shut it down because of a small twinge in your arm since the age of 12 to prevent damaging a great arm how are you going to learn to pitch through that "pain" once your Arm gets you to the MLB? My guess is that a few other pitchers might have been able to work though some of the Stuff Prior felt that he couldn't. Once he learns to be a little "tougher" than he can move to the next level... and become one of the greats, I once heard that Maddux has a similar "problem" early in his career...

Ol' No. 2
08-08-2005, 03:35 PM
I don't think that there is anything wrong with Prior's Delivery. He's just had a couple of freak injuries. I honestly don't think that Prior learned the mental aspect of being a major league pitcher yet, especially when it comes to what type of injury you can work through and what type of injury you sit for. I think that he's been "coddled" for so long in preperation of being a great pitcher that he has a low "threshold" for pain, for lack of a better word. Example if you have been raised to shut it down because of a small twinge in your arm since the age of 12 to prevent damaging a great arm how are you going to learn to pitch through that "pain" once your Arm gets you to the MLB? My guess is that a few other pitchers might have been able to work though some of the Stuff Prior felt that he couldn't. Once he learns to be a little "tougher" than he can move to the next level... and become one of the greats, I once heard that Maddux has a similar "problem" early in his career...This is pure speculation on my part, but I suspect the source of Prior's problem may be what was believed to be one of his strengths. He gets a lot of his power from his legs, which saves wear on his arm. But those famously large calves are still attached to a couple of ordinary Achilles' tendons, which have to bear a lot more stress than normal. There may be other pitchers who have had Achilles' tendon problems, but I can't think of one right now. In trying to compensate, he may have succumbed to the Dizzy Dean effect, putting more stress on his elbow.

itsnotrequired
08-08-2005, 03:40 PM
I don't think that there is anything wrong with Prior's Delivery. He's just had a couple of freak injuries. I honestly don't think that Prior learned the mental aspect of being a major league pitcher yet, especially when it comes to what type of injury you can work through and what type of injury you sit for. I think that he's been "coddled" for so long in preperation of being a great pitcher that he has a low "threshold" for pain, for lack of a better word. Example if you have been raised to shut it down because of a small twinge in your arm since the age of 12 to prevent damaging a great arm how are you going to learn to pitch through that "pain" once your Arm gets you to the MLB? My guess is that a few other pitchers might have been able to work though some of the Stuff Prior felt that he couldn't. Once he learns to be a little "tougher" than he can move to the next level... and become one of the greats, I once heard that Maddux has a similar "problem" early in his career...

What this guy said...

Prior has damn near "perfect" mechanics. The injuries to date could be classified as freak. He is due for a nice long career if his handlers (his wife, agent and Cub Cubs pitching coaches) would just turn him loose.

Wood is more of a thrower than a pitcher. Lots of strikeouts but also a lot of walks. Striking out those 20 batters in one game could have been the worst thing to happen in his career. People expect a performance like that all the time. Oh and, he is scheduled for yet another surgery in the upcoming off-season. With no more than 14 wins in a single season, this guy could be the most over-rated player in all of baseball.

Hope the Cubs are getting their money's worth on a $11 million/yr setup man...

Ol' No. 2
08-08-2005, 04:08 PM
What this guy said...

Prior has damn near "perfect" mechanics. The injuries to date could be classified as freak. He is due for a nice long career if his handlers (his wife, agent and Cub Cubs pitching coaches) would just turn him loose.

Wood is more of a thrower than a pitcher. Lots of strikeouts but also a lot of walks. Striking out those 20 batters in one game could have been the worst thing to happen in his career. People expect a performance like that all the time. Oh and, he is scheduled for yet another surgery in the upcoming off-season. With no more than 14 wins in a single season, this guy could be the most over-rated player in all of baseball.

Hope the Cubs are getting their money's worth on a $11 million/yr setup man...Arguments with Cubs fans:

Who's better?

2004: Wood vs. Buehrle
early 2005: Wood vs. Garland
late 2005: Wood vs. Vizcaino?

PatK
08-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Arguments with Cubs fans:

Who's better?

2004: Wood vs. Buehrle
early 2005: Wood vs. Garland
late 2005: Wood vs. Vizcaino?
:redneck:tongue::bandance: