PDA

View Full Version : Chicago sportsblabbers agree: Flubs R Done!

cheeses_h_rice
08-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Apparently Zambrano left the game last night early with a hurt back, giving up on his team. Apparently Aramis Ramirez failed to leg out a ground ball. Apparently the additions of Nomar and Carrie Woods won't push them over the top.

They're done. Stick a fork in 'em.

'Tis a thing of beauty hearing Silvy & Carm, Mike North, and Boers & Bernstein giving the Flubs the business this morning.

August through November belong to the White Sox and the White Sox only.

Dig it.

:gulp:

itsnotrequired
08-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Watch, the Cubs will start a four game winning streak and all these drillrod's tunes will change in a second. "Cubs are on the move!"

JRIG
08-08-2005, 10:25 AM
With Bernie Williams now DH-ing quite a bit in NY, I think the Flubs have the worst outfield defense in the majors.

Matt Lawton, Macias, and Burnitz?

Ick.

SOXPHILE
08-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Hmmm. Mr. Pseudo-intellectual wine sipping priss Bernstein on friday was telling us "Cubs will be fine this weekend. Come on, it's the Mets !" But then again, I shouldn't be surprised. Other quotes from him and T-Diddly:

1) October, 2003- "Cardinals, Astros and the rest of that NL Central are gonna be looking up the Cubs tailpipe for the next few seasons".

2) June, 2004- "There is no way the Cardinals are going to keep winning at this pace. They and the rest of creepy Cardinal Nation will cool off, come back to earth a little, and the Cubs will challenge them for the division".

3)August-September, 2004- "It's over. This Wild Card race in the NL is over. The Cubs are going to walk to the Wild Card. They might as well give it to them now. Who do you think is gonna win it ? The Astros ? The Marlins ? Come on !! There's no way they don't make it. They're too good not to."

Baby Fisk
08-08-2005, 10:29 AM
With Bernie Williams now DH-ing quite a bit in NY, I think the Flubs have the worst outfield defense in the majors.

Ick.The ESPN guys said as much last night, while the Mets were running the bases AT WILL. Damn, it was fun to watch. Dusty Clown Shoes Baker, your days are numbered!

cheeses_h_rice
08-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Hmmm. Mr. Pseudo-intellectual wine sipping priss Bernstein on friday was telling us "Cubs will be fine this weekend. Come on, it's the Mets !" But then again, I shouldn't be surprised. Other quotes from him and T-Diddly:

1) October, 2003- "Cardinals, Astros and the rest of that NL Central are gonna be looking up the Cubs tailpipe for the next few seasons".

2) June, 2004- "There is no way the Cardinals are going to keep winning at this pace. They and the rest of creepy Cardinal Nation will cool off, come back to earth a little, and the Cubs will challenge them for the division".

3)August-September, 2004- "It's over. This Wild Card race in the NL is over. The Cubs are going to walk to the Wild Card. They might as well give it to them now. Who do you think is gonna win it ? The Astros ? The Marlins ? Come on !! There's no way they don't make it. They're too good not to."

Bernstein is a Sox fan, and I would not be surprised if he admitted he was bending over backwards to give the Flubs the benefit of the doubt and talking them up to a) stem the tide of abusive phone calls from Flubs fans accusing him of being a partisan Sox fan, and b) stick it up the Flubs' giggy when they fail to come through.

Steve Stone does the same thing all the time to the Flubs in his WSCR segments -- he continually talks up how good Carrie Woods and Korey Patterson are, probably knowing full well that they are fundamentally flawed players, and he has said all along that the Flubs should run away with the Wild Card. It's a clever way of deflecting the immediate criticisms that would surely come from irate Flubs fans if he said otherwise, and also getting a little 'dig' in at the team when they ultimately fail.

jdm2662
08-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Just give it a couple of weeks. The Cubs will put out a four or five game winning streak, and the Cubbie blue will be on their way again!!!!!!!

SOXPHILE
08-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Oh yeah, I know he's a Sox fan, and I do think he bends over backwards a little too far too accomodate idiot Cub fans. It's just funny how quickly they change their tune when things go the complete opposite direction from what they said would happen. Time and time again I hear stuff like "Cubs are fine. Come on, it's the (Rockies, Mets, Reds), they should take 2 of 3 from them if not sweep them." Then, this morning, he's saying (correctly) that the Cubs suck, they're lazy, Baker's a dope, etc., as if he's been telling us this the whole time. (Well, they have been, as far as Baker goes :cool: ).

cheeses_h_rice
08-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Oh yeah, I know he's a Sox fan, and I do think he bends over backwards a little too far too accomodate idiot Cub fans. It's just funny how quickly they change their tune when things go the complete opposite direction from what they said would happen. Time and time again I hear stuff like "Cubs are fine. Come on, it's the (Rockies, Mets, Reds), they should take 2 of 3 from them if not sweep them." Then, this morning, he's saying (correctly) that the Cubs suck, they're lazy, Baker's a dope, etc., as if he's been telling us this the whole time. (Well, they have been, as far as Baker goes :cool: ).

Heh. I agree.

Sounds like a certain columnist for the Cub-Times, doesn't it?

:windsock:

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-08-2005, 11:41 AM
they'll pull out a winning streak only because they're starting a series with the REDS :angry:

SoxSpeed22
08-08-2005, 11:53 AM
they'll pull out a winning streak only because they're starting a series with the REDS :angry:Don't be so sure about that winning streak, the Reds have always matched up well against them, they can win 2 out of 3.

Jerko
08-08-2005, 11:54 AM
IIRC the Cubs have a 2 game losing streak going vs. the Reds.

Iwritecode
08-08-2005, 12:02 PM
they'll pull out a winning streak only because they're starting a series with the REDS :angry:

IIRC, it was the Reds and Mets that dashed their playoff hopes last year.

LuvSox
08-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Get a good laught today: Check out the message board at Northsidebaseball.com. Some of those idiots are listing their pick for a new manager. Someone actually picked Jerry Manual, seriously!

The jokes just write themselves!

Tragg
08-08-2005, 12:39 PM

Ick.

And couple that with an up the middle infield defense of nomar and todd walker. double ick.

CaptainBallz
08-08-2005, 01:05 PM
"Calling all Black and White squads, be on the lookout for numerous "Chicago fans", approximately 15-70 years old, male and female, known since around 2002 to dress in fruity blue attire and carry an annoying, aloof, and smug attitude, littering the streets and garbage cans with lame blue and red merchandise and disguising themselves in black and white costumes, professing their love for all "Chicago teams." They are highly uneducated and fickle and will try to high five anybody wearing black and white, while not really understanding why. Take heed around 333 W 35th st, where you will notice them congregating while looking highly nervous and confused. Suspects are not armed with knowledge, but are extremely dangerous. Pursue with caution..."

PatK
08-08-2005, 01:26 PM
I would think that Nomar wouldn't be as bad as he is, since he could catch the ball in that giant nose of his.

Another stellar example of the Cubs overpaying someone who's best playing days are behind them.

Hangar18
08-08-2005, 01:42 PM
The Cubs are "done" ............ til they WIN 2 in a row. Which then gets
the Chicago Media in a cub-loving-Frenzy ............

slavko
08-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Saw plenty of cubbie Blue in the stands on Sunday's Sox telecast. Along with plenty of babe shots. Somebody has figured out what sells Sox baseball to the masses.

Hangar18
08-08-2005, 01:46 PM
The Cubs are "done" ........ til they Play the REDS and the PITTSBURGH "we-love-giving-players-to-our-divisional-rival-cubs" PIRATES, at which point the Media will say "Cubs on Rise!", or "Cub bats heating up"

Iwritecode
08-08-2005, 01:53 PM
The Cubs are "done" ............ til they WIN 2 in a row. Which then gets
the Chicago Media in a cub-loving-Frenzy ............

No, they'll still be done. Just because the media refuses to acknowledge it doesn't make it any less true...

Maybe we should start taking bets on who's officially eliminated from the WC race first. The Twins or the Cubs???

Optipessimism
08-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Ahh, I wouldn't say the media really believes they are done yet. They've done this the whole year. The media is so fickle. One moment they can't stand the Flubs and the next the are the team that will win it all and signal the second coming of Jesus Christ.

The Flubs are an all or nothing team. I predict that they will go on another hot streak and everyone on the Score and ESPN 1000 is going to be rallying behind the team again and throwing out cliches like 'it ain't over 'til it's over' and 'the fat lady hasn't started singing yet.' They'll be so caught up in an 8-10 game winning streak that they won't see the 3-18 stretch ahead.

I say it's better that way. I love Flubbie despair.

cheeses_h_rice
08-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Ahh, I wouldn't say the media really believes they are done yet. They've done this the whole year. The media is so fickle. One moment they can't stand the Flubs and the next the are the team that will win it all and signal the second coming of Jesus Christ.

The Flubs are an all or nothing team. I predict that they will go on another hot streak and everyone on the Score and ESPN 1000 is going to be rallying behind the team again and throwing out cliches like 'it ain't over 'til it's over' and 'the fat lady hasn't started singing yet.' They'll be so caught up in an 8-10 game winning streak that they won't see the 3-18 stretch ahead.

I say it's better that way. I love Flubbie despair.

I agree that the Flubs tend to play well the second the media gives up on them, so I wouldn't be surprised if they swept the Reds. But the fact that they're not even shown in the NL Wild Card standings in most newspapers anymore should tell you something.

TornLabrum
08-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Get a good laught today: Check out the message board at Northsidebaseball.com. Some of those idiots are listing their pick for a new manager. Someone actually picked Jerry Manual, seriously!

The jokes just write themselves!

Who is Jerry Manual?

SOXfnNlansing
08-08-2005, 03:11 PM
http://www.pinoytennis.com/cubsfun/images/under_fire.jpg Here's a funny picture I found.

DumpJerry
08-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Who is Jerry Manual?
That's the guy Flub fans want as their manager. I hear he sits in the left field bleachers of the Urinal at all home games and 20% of the road games, so he's part of the problem, I mean crowd.... Jerry Manuel is busy with (IIRC) the Mets these days......

Yes, this Manual guy sits in the Urinal's bleachers when the Flubs are on the road......he's ripe for the job. His mother kicked him out of the basement for his 45th birthday.

bumptious96
08-08-2005, 03:14 PM
The best was on Sportscenter they had Buster Olney talking about the Cubs playoff chances and the re-arrival of Nomah and Carrie Woods.

While he was blithering on, ESPN put up the standings of the NL Wildcard, and the FLUBS weren't EVEN ON THE SCREEN!

They are so far back and have so many teams in front of them they weren't even on the graphic they showed for the Wildcard standings.

Absolutely unbelievable that they are still rambling on about their chances every night and making themselves look like asses when they do stuff like that.

thewalkoffshot
08-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Anyone notice that the user who suggested Jerry Manuel, was a user named Kuzman, who happens to share the name and location of a user here at WSI.

Good work on spreading Jerry Manuel's name, to make the team even greater. Too bad no one took the bait over there.

downstairs
08-08-2005, 05:20 PM

Well, I hate (and I mean hate) the Flubs, and I would have assumed most of those things at the time.

I mean, they've collapsed big-time many times. As much as I love it, its not like (for example) I didn't think they were going to the WS in 2003, and to the playoffs last year.

What do you expect Burnsie to do? Have an all-Sox anti-Cubs show?

He- more than most others- is not biased either way. He calls a spade a spade, and I like him and Boers for that.

I do remember last year, about 10-15 games from the end of the season, him saying "barring an absolute collapse, the Cubs are in the playoffs."

I agreed. And I was very happy he caveated his statement with "barring an absolute collapse"... because I KNEW it was coming...

LuvSox
08-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Who is Jerry Manual?

The E police! :)

doublem23
08-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Chicago sportscasters... Catching up to what everyone's known since 1909. :rolleyes:

spiffie
08-09-2005, 10:00 AM
The E police! :)
:manos
They have cops for that now?! I'm screwed!