PDA

View Full Version : New Statues

Chips
08-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Fisk mentioned there would be more statues coming up in future years, and that was confirmed later on by whoever ran the ceremony. I was wondering which players and managers will be honored next. I would love to see statues of Nellie Fox and Shoeless Joe.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm of the mind that the only statues should be of players with retired numbers. Luis or Nellie or both if possible, should be next.

Lip

Juice16
08-07-2005, 09:29 PM
I think a double play combo statue of Fox/Aparicio would be sweet

bobwsx
08-07-2005, 09:32 PM
I think a double play combo statue of Fox/Aparicio would be sweetI agree that would be cool.I know my dad would love that.

Fredsox
08-07-2005, 09:49 PM
How about a statue of Wilbur Wood to pay homage to all the beer-swilling over weight heros of the 1970s?
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/4images/details.php?image_id=72

Milw
08-07-2005, 10:19 PM
I'm of the mind that the only statues should be of players with retired numbers. Luis or Nellie or both if possible, should be next.

Lip
Shoeless Joe and Ed Walsh should get statues. Not their fault that numbers hadn't been invented yet.

Lip Man 1
08-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Joe would be somewhat difficult for Sox management to justify with Bud and MLB don't ya think? Given the circumstances surrounding him (and that's not saying he's guilty or not guilty just that according to MLB he's persona non grata...)

Lip

Brian26
08-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Joe would be somewhat difficult for Sox management to justify with Bud and MLB don't ya think? Given the circumstances surrounding him (and that's not saying he's guilty or not guilty just that according to MLB he's persona non grata...)

Lip

I don't see a Joe Jackson statue anytime soon, nor do I see an Ed Walsh statue happening. Luis and Nellie are a given, as is Billy Pierce.

TornLabrum
08-07-2005, 10:46 PM

Lip

I don't think they'd have any trouble with it. He was on the All-Century ballot and elected to the All-Century Sox team. His picture is in The Cell along with all the other team members.

Still, I'd love to see a dual statue of Looie and Nellie first.

doublem23
08-08-2005, 01:09 AM
Knowing JR, next would be a statue of Harold Baines, but he'd be asleep in bed, and he'd make sure to sell the advertising to Seally.

:rolleyes:

Ron Karkovice
08-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Knowing JR, next would be a statue of Harold Baines, but he'd be asleep in bed, and he'd make sure to sell the advertising to Seally.

:rolleyes:

I was wondering if they would prefer the player to be in the HOF... I wouldnt mind a Harold statue.

Nellie_Fox
08-08-2005, 02:11 AM
I think a double play combo statue of Fox/Aparicio would be sweetAbsolutely. I think they are forever linked in the minds of Sox fans. It would be perfect to have them be together in one statue, with one feeding an underhanded "double-play" flip to the other.

Nellie quote: "What is the top requirement for a second baseman? A fine shortstop. I am fortunate in having the greatest shortstop in baseball, Luis Aparicio." (1960)

The Critic
08-08-2005, 03:55 AM
How about a few more Sox Hall-Of-Famers?
You know, like Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton, guys like that....
:redneck

DaleJRFan
08-08-2005, 10:13 AM
how about Mark Buehrle and Jon Garland...

eastchicagosoxfan
08-08-2005, 10:21 AM
We Sox fans love that 1977 team. However, two of the biggest stars on the team, Zisk and Gamble, were on the Southside for a season only. Is there anyone from the Southside Hitmen that could be immortalized in a statue? Bill Veeck is the only guy that comes to mind, but I doubt that that will happen.

Stroker Ace
08-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Still, I'd love to see a dual statue of Looie and Nellie first.As would I.

greasywheels121
08-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Frank's going to get one sooner or later.

TomBradley72
08-08-2005, 11:56 AM
We Sox fans love that 1977 team. However, two of the biggest stars on the team, Zisk and Gamble, were on the Southside for a season only. Is there anyone from the Southside Hitmen that could be immortalized in a statue? Bill Veeck is the only guy that comes to mind, but I doubt that that will happen.

A White Sox fan from 1977? Harry Caray? Jim Spencer doing a "curtain call"?
Bill Veeck sitting in the bleachers?

SoxSpeed22
08-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Rube Foster, founder of the Negro leagues. Not enough respect for him.

TheOldRoman
08-08-2005, 12:43 PM
I don't think they'd have any trouble with it. He was on the All-Century ballot and elected to the All-Century Sox team. His picture is in The Cell along with all the other team members.

Still, I'd love to see a dual statue of Looie and Nellie first.
I don't know about a dual statue, I think they both deserve their own statues. It would be cool if their statues were positioned with eachother like they were turning a double play, though.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-08-2005, 12:56 PM
I don't know about a dual statue, I think they both deserve their own statues. It would be cool if their statues were positioned with eachother like they were turning a double play, though.

That would be awesome looking, just like the pic in the photo gallery!!!

skottyj242
08-08-2005, 01:08 PM
I was wondering if they would prefer the player to be in the HOF... I wouldnt mind a Harold statue.

Oresto's not in the Hall.

Sxy Mofo
08-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Frank's going to get one sooner or later.

That's going to be a popular one when it gets put up after he retires. Everyone will want to get a picture next to it just to see how big the he is up close

miker
08-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Ribbie and Roobarb!

rudylawdog
08-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Bill Veek

rudylawdog
08-08-2005, 05:04 PM
sorry, I missed a c . . . Bill Veeck

IronFisk
08-08-2005, 05:17 PM

Lip

It's pretty well established that Shoeless Joe got screwed...anyone out there think otherwise? He was probably the greatest talent the WS ever had, and played a vital role in those glory years - INCLUDING that 1919 World Series - wink, wink.

I'd say if you REALLY want to get on the fans good side, and send a giant message to the MLB (like...HOF?!?!), put Joe out there next! His defense has to start somewhere.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-08-2005, 05:29 PM

As much as I would like to see a Veeck statue put up, I don't see Reinsdorf doing that anytime soon. After Jerry and his group bought the team from Veeck, they didn't make any flattering comments about the way he ran things. Which is why during his final years Veeck made many appearances at the shrine he installed ivy in.

Southsider101
08-08-2005, 08:03 PM
I'd love to see a statue of Joe Jackson, but we all know Clueless Bud and MLB would nix that in a heartbeat. I vote for Billy Pierce.

bunnybrief
08-08-2005, 08:55 PM
A statue of Joe Jackson....inquiring minds want to know, eh? ...

santo=dorf
08-09-2005, 10:09 AM

Lip

(Too lazy to look it up) Did Jackson even have a number when he was with the Sox? What was it? (I don't recall seeing them having numbers in Eight Men Out)

TheOldRoman
08-09-2005, 10:12 AM
(Too lazy to look it up) Did Jackson even have a number when he was with the Sox? What was it? (I don't recall seeing them having numbers in Eight Men Out)
The Sox didn't have uniform numbers until I believe 1930.