PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Was AWESOME Today

TomBradley72
08-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Ken Harrelson was absolutely awesome during today's game against Seattle. In addition to the game itself he provided: great memories of Fisk's career, Black Jack's career, a "who's who" of major league catchers in the 60's, 70's and 80's...and some great recollections of what made the old Yankees special. He has his imperfections...but for my money (and I've heard just about every announcing team via satellite)...there a very few (if any) announcers in MLB that offer what he did today. While other teams...especially the northsiders..serve up generic pablum. Hawk delivers a unique experience for the White Sox fan who truly loves the game.

Brian26
08-07-2005, 10:21 PM
I've said it before, but I'd pay money to sit at a table next to Hawk and listen to him tell old war stories for hours on end. Alvin Dark, Catfish, Yaz...I eat that stuff up.

kevingrt
08-07-2005, 10:48 PM
I've said it before, but I'd pay money to sit at a table next to Hawk and listen to him tell old war stories for hours on end. Alvin Dark, Catfish, Yaz...I eat that stuff up.

That is so ture. The guy is very funny too, I'd rather golf a round with him though. He is a really good golfer.

tschneid83
08-07-2005, 11:38 PM

I agree I love hearing hawk tell stories. Maybe it is because I am younger and do not know any of these things. I guess it is how learn about all of the baseball things I missed out on.

go sox.... beat them yankees

pczarapa
08-08-2005, 12:29 AM
Ken Harrelson was absolutely awesome during today's game against Seattle. In addition to the game itself he provided: great memories of Fisk's career, Black Jack's career, a "who's who" of major league catchers in the 60's, 70's and 80's...and some great recollections of what made the old Yankees special. He has his imperfections...but for my money (and I've heard just about every announcing team via satellite)...there a very few (if any) announcers in MLB that offer what he did today. While other teams...especially the northsiders..serve up generic pablum. Hawk delivers a unique experience for the White Sox fan who truly loves the game.

I couldn't agree more, Hawk was absolutely spot on today.

skobabe8
08-08-2005, 03:58 AM
:hawk (licking fingers to comb eyebrows) "Still got it!"

The Critic
08-08-2005, 04:51 AM
It took me a while to really warm up to Hawk but now I can't imagine a Sox broadcast without him.
The catchphrases, the anecdotes, the ".......no." - it's all just right.

Thumbs up and/or "metal horns" to Hawk!
:D:

BeviBall!
08-08-2005, 08:53 AM
How many words did DJ get in when BlackJack was in the booth? Maybe 15? He got the freeze-out, grade school cafeteria style.

wdelaney72
08-08-2005, 09:48 AM
How many words did DJ get in when BlackJack was in the booth? Maybe 15? He got the freeze-out, grade school cafeteria style.

You are absolutely right... and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Sad
08-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Hawk was just on WSCR w/ North... was talking about back in his day how the "clubhouse spread" was a big bowl of chips and a keg of Hamms...:redneck

Hangar18
08-08-2005, 10:07 AM

YES, but per the Chicago Media, hes a "homer" who adds nothing to the broadcasts, has NO KNOWLEDGE of baseball past, and spouts tired Cliches and Nicknames for players. Q: Who wants to hear that right?
A: Sox fans do. Hawk Harrelson is yet one more, in a very long line of very famous SOX announcers who call the game right and are memorable already.
Caray, Piersall, Drysdale, not to mention Rooney even Brickhouse ......

I would also LOVE to drink some beer with the Hawk-eroo, and talk baseball all nite long .........that would be awesome

MsSoxVixen22
08-08-2005, 10:13 AM
I agree I love hearing hawk tell stories. Maybe it is because I am younger and do not know any of these things. I guess it is how learn about all of the baseball things I missed out on.

go sox.... beat them yankees

Yeah that's how I feel. I'd love to listen to Hawks stories. That's how I learn alot of baseball stuff. Besides, it was worth it the other nite to hear him say "booty."
:tongue:

KnightSox
08-08-2005, 10:27 AM
I agree Hawk did a good job,but I would have thought Fisk would have visited the booth.I know when Hawk was GM he put Fisk in left in an attempt to prolong his career,which he was unhappy about.I would have liked to hear Carlton telling old stories including Deion's fly ball incident.

PaulDrake
08-08-2005, 10:30 AM
YES, but per the Chicago Media, hes a "homer" who adds nothing to the broadcasts, has NO KNOWLEDGE of baseball past, and spouts tired Cliches and Nicknames for players. Q: Who wants to hear that right?
A: Sox fans do. Hawk Harrelson is yet one more, in a very long line of very famous SOX announcers who call the game right and are memorable already.
Caray, Piersall, Drysdale, not to mention Rooney even Brickhouse ......

I would also LOVE to drink some beer with the Hawk-eroo, and talk baseball all nite long .........that would be awesome I'm getting old. Bob Elson? Don Wells? Milo Hamilton?

TornLabrum
08-08-2005, 11:33 AM
I'm getting old. Bob Elson? Don Wells? Milo Hamilton?

Ralph Kiner? Red Rush?

TomBradley72
08-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Bud Kelly? Bob Waller?

PaulDrake
08-09-2005, 05:05 PM
All right already with the name dropping! :D: How 'bout Jack Drees?

TornLabrum
08-09-2005, 05:12 PM
All right already with the name dropping! :D: How 'bout Jack Drees?

In '73 a friend and I flew to NYC. As it turned out Drees was on the plane, but we didn't find that out until we had landed and saw him leaving the luggage check area at JFK. So in honor of Drees, let's add Billy Pierce?

hellenicsoxfan
08-09-2005, 05:17 PM
I can remember when Hawk and Wimpy were together, a few times during rain delays they were allowed to stay on the air and just talk baseball. It was fascinating, great fun to listen to and also very informative. I miss those. Now we get reruns of Becker and Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

veeter
08-09-2005, 05:23 PM
When I'm watching the game and someone, (wife, kids, etc.) starts talking over Hawk I get irritated because he's usually saying something very interesting. That's the sign of a good broadcaster. Where you don't want to miss what he's saying.