08-07-2005, 05:37 PM
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

TomParrish79
08-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Hell of a play by Rowand

Unregistered
Congrats to JG on #16.

Helluva catch by Rowand to save the game.

:winner

ChiSox14305635
:hawk:
I luuuuvvvvv series wins! :cool:

chisoxmike
What a play by Aaron! :gulp:
Way to go Jon :gulp:

72 wins on August 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Realist
Our Nana: :bandance:

Their Nana: http://www.ezupa.com/misc/banana-still.gif

MarySwiss
08-07-2005, 05:40 PM
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

YES, on so many levels!

Aaron, YES!

I hate Richie Sexson (just thought I'd throw that in, gratis)

And will you Konerko-bashers please take a day or two off now?

NSSoxFan
Great catch by Rowand to save the lead in the 8th.

Garland with another strong outing. Good to see him grab his 16th victory.

Go get the Yankees.
:gulp:

Kogs35
nice job today :bandance: congrats to jg:bandance: and awesome defense by paulie and aaron:bandance: :bandance: :gulp: :gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
Great win. Tonight's win and today's win remind me of the way the Sox played earlier this season: low scoring, well-pitched,, fundamentally sound games. I can't wait for Pods to start drawing some walks and stealing some more bases again, because it will allow the Sox offense to really break through again.

Now, let's go send a message to the world and sweep the Yankees in New York!

:supernana::bandance::supernana::bandance:

TaylorStSox
08-07-2005, 05:41 PM
YES, on so many levels!

Aaron, YES!

I hate Richie Sexson (just thought I'd throw that in, gratis)

How can you hate Sexson?

tschneid83
looked good today....

on to NY

munchman33
Okay...I'm sorry Konerko. He seems to be turning it on a little.

He's still overpaid, though. And a complete jerk.

ChiSox14305635
Beat ya to it. :redface:

Though I actually prefer your title thread then my own. :D:

Cowhead418
But guys, all this means is that if we win one more game then we can't lose 90 games. It's still very possible for us to have a losing season.

WTG Garland! 16th win is huge! Buehrle is going to have a hard time winning the Cy Young because of you! Finally a home series win.:cool:

Unregistered
08-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Beat ya to it. :redface:

Though I actually prefer your title thread then my own. :D:Haha, yeah - serves me right for not refreshing the Clubhouse page before posting.
:D:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Another wonderful victory and series win.
:thumbsup:

Now let's wait and see how long it takes for a Dark Cloud to whine about the Sox runs coming off dingers. We all know it's coming...

Here in the Mod Lounge the over/under is Post #25.
:cool:

RallyBowl
08-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Good series. Now let's Spank the Yanks!

Realist
08-07-2005, 05:45 PM

Now let's wait and see how long it takes for a Dark Cloud to whine about the Sox runs coming off dingers. We all know it's coming...

I'll take the over... I gotta feeling it's gonna be Post #28

Frater Perdurabo

I've not been on WSI very much lately because I was in Chicago and other Midwest locales and didn't have access to a computer for almost two weeks. If I had access to WSI, I would have complimented Konerko on his streak. During the last week (not counting today), Paulie has hit .333, with a .448 OBP and a .750 SLG! So, hat's off to Paulie on his recent tear! Keep it up!

:supernana::):supernana::gulp::supernana:

MRKARNO
I would have thought that everyone would be pissed because we scored all of our runs via the long ball.:D:

This game looked exactly like the beginning of the year when we were totally dominating. Good pitching, perfect defense and just enough offense, longball or not. A large percentage of our runs came via the HR early on as well. This is a good note to be going into New York and Boston on. Now let's go on a 6 game winning streak. :D:

skobabe8
08-07-2005, 05:47 PM
I hope Scotty has a HUGE series in NY.

cheeses_h_rice
08-07-2005, 05:47 PM
I thought the Sox were playing tonight.

:(:

soxjim
08-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Way to Go SOX. Start spreading the news we are leaving today you are going to get spanked new york new york.

MarySwiss
08-07-2005, 05:51 PM
How can you hate Sexson?

Oh, I don't know. Maybe because he signed a zillion-dollar contract with my second-favorite team (D'Backs), played for about five minutes, broke a nail or something, and spent the rest of the season on the DL (but of course he was healthy enough to pick up his paychecks).

Howzzat?

harwar
08-07-2005, 06:02 PM
I hope Scotty has a HUGE series in NY.

I am also thinking along these lines.
I not only think scotty will have a good series but the team as a whole will be good.
They will be fired up going into yankee stadium,especially El Duque.

TaylorStSox
08-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Oh, I don't know. Maybe because he signed a zillion-dollar contract with my second-favorite team (D'Backs), played for about five minutes, broke a nail or something, and spent the rest of the season on the DL (but of course he was healthy enough to pick up his paychecks).

Howzzat?

Tearing your shoulder up is equivalent to breaking a nail? Are you one of those people that bashes Frank for not playing hurt too?

BigEdWalsh
08-07-2005, 06:10 PM
I would do 72 bananas but...no.

:supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :pudge :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:
HAPPY CARLTON FISK DAY!!:party:

MarySwiss
08-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Way to Go SOX. Start spreading the news we are leaving today you are going to get spanked new york new york.

Which reminds me: Allow me to share yet another 2001 WS memory. Game Six. Yankmees had won the last three games and were looking to win the Series. D'Backs kicked their asses.

Now here's the cool part that most of the country missed: as the game ended, the PA system at Bank One Ballpark blared out "New York, New York." Rubbing their nose in it as they've rubbed so many noses. Next day, the NY papers were all over the D'Backs org for being "classless."

Well, sure. I guess it wasn't classless for Yankmees fans to yell "Sayonara" when they beat Ichiro and Seattle. Of course not, because anything Yankmees fans do is perfectly okay. Reason #123,480 to hate the Yankmees.

And I do. And I would SO love to see us sweep them! GO SOX!!

LuvSox
08-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Rowand is a grinder, isn't he? :bandance:

MarySwiss
08-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Tearing your shoulder up is equivalent to breaking a nail? Are you one of those people that bashes Frank for not playing hurt too?

Flame me all you want; the two are not equal. Frank played hurt a lot over the years, spent his entire career as a Sox, and has been a mainstay for the Sox forever. Sexson signed a big contract and came up lame early in his one and only season with the D'Backs, missing the rest of it. But he's fine now. Another miracle cure!

BTW, Taylor, is the Original Ferraro Bakery still on Taylor Street? Fabulous bakery!

fquaye149
08-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Flame me all you want; the two are not equal. Frank played hurt a lot over the years, spent his entire career as a Sox, and has been a mainstay for the Sox forever. Sexson signed a big contract and came up lame early in his one and only season with the D'Backs, missing the rest of it. But he's fine now. Another miracle cure!

are you insane? Shoulder injuries are not always career ending. There's no reason he shouldn't be just fine this year.

Look - do you think he WANTED to miss the season? He would have signed for a LOT more this year if he had been healthy and put up his normal numbers.

It's not like he was David Wells who got hurt AND took potshots at Frank. And at the same time I don't hate Wells because he couldn't help getting hurt and he was a decent teammate.

Hate someone like Sheffield who wouldn't play hard in Milwaukee because he wanted to get traded. Hate someone like A-rod if accounts that he's a bad clubhouse guy are true. But why in the fudge would you hate Sexson for something he couldn't control?

PicktoCLick72
08-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Great win on my favorite player's day. THis one's for you Carleton.:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

MarySwiss
08-07-2005, 06:35 PM
are you insane? Shoulder injuries are not always career ending. There's no reason he shouldn't be just fine this year.

Look - do you think he WANTED to miss the season? He would have signed for a LOT more this year if he had been healthy and put up his normal numbers.

It's not like he was David Wells who got hurt AND took potshots at Frank. And at the same time I don't hate Wells because he couldn't help getting hurt and he was a decent teammate.

Hate someone like Sheffield who wouldn't play hard in Milwaukee because he wanted to get traded. Hate someone like A-rod if accounts that he's a bad clubhouse guy are true. But why in the fudge would you hate Sexson for something he couldn't control?

First, no, I am not insane.

Second, you have no way of knowing if--had he been healthy--he would have put up his "normal" numbers--whatever the hell that means.

Third, just for the record, I am (for the most part) glad I found this Web site. But there is one thing about it I dislike--and that's the tendency some of the posters show to flame anyone they don't agree with. I would like to rise above that, but if you really think David Wells was a "decent teammate," maybe you should be the one pleading insanity.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-07-2005, 06:36 PM
A great victory today, because the sox took their first home series in almost a month now. I don't care how they score, as long as it's one more than they give up. :supernana: :supernana:

delben91
08-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Great game today. Garland was just flat-out on, just as he has been most of the season. And what a play by Rowand, just plain wow.

I'll be at the next 3 in New York boys, let's make them good. :D:

FarWestChicago
08-07-2005, 06:51 PM
And will you Konerko-bashers please take a day or two off now?:walnuts

Julio Ramirez is the best center fielder I ever played with. Nobody else is even close.

SoxSpeed22
08-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Excellent catch and good job by Garland getting 16. Start the ESPN road trip with a W!
"Win or Die trying's not just a saying, it's a deal."
:rowand"But I caught the ball."
"Oh."

fquaye149
08-07-2005, 06:59 PM
First, no, I am not insane.

Second, you have no way of knowing if--had he been healthy--he would have put up his "normal" numbers--whatever the hell that means.

Third, just for the record, I am (for the most part) glad I found this Web site. But there is one thing about it I dislike--and that's the tendency some of the posters show to flame anyone they don't agree with. I would like to rise above that, but if you really think David Wells was a "decent teammate," maybe you should be the one pleading insanity.

a.) It's not that I disagree with you (which I do) but the fact that you are taking the absolutely undefensible position of RIPPING A PLAYER FOR BEING INJURED.

b.) if you think David Wells is an unwaveringly horrible teammate ask Buehrle what he thinks of Boomer and if Mark thinks he would be half the pitcher he is without Wells' guidance.

Good grief. This is almost as bad as Shoota's hate of Crede. At least Shoota had statistical reasons.

Chips
08-07-2005, 07:06 PM
72 for #72
:rowand :gulp: :bandance:

Heffalump
08-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Great win on my favorite player's day. THis one's for you Carleton.:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

I'll drink to that!!!....Another great win...Great pitching from Garland....Konerko looks like he is heating up a bit !!!.Some good defense!..,...Bring on them Yanks !!

Not trying to be a smartass, but if he was your favorite player, shouldn't you know how to spell his name?

Anyways,

GO SOX !!!!

Meixner007
08-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Rowand your mine!!!!!

MarySwiss
08-07-2005, 07:21 PM
a.)

[a) It's not that I disagree with you (which I do) but the fact that you are taking the absolutely undefensible position of RIPPING A PLAYER FOR BEING INJURED.]

Disagree all you want. I was here. You weren't. And IIRC, Sexson did the obligatory moan-and-groan, you're-paying-me-all-this-money, wish-I-could-help dirge, then when the D'Backs tried to re-sign him (several times), he went free-agent after wrapping his bankbook around 8.6 mil for 28 games. Nice payday, doncha think? True, he's only making 6 mil this year--not bad after not posting "normal" (your word) numbers--but he signed a multi-year deal worth $50 million. Just in case you're thinking of starting a tag day for him.

[b.) if you think David Wells is an unwaveringly horrible teammate ask Buehrle what he thinks of Boomer and if Mark thinks he would be half the pitcher he is without Wells' guidance.]

Ask Frank what he thinks. And do you know FOR A FACT that Buehrle thinks this, or are you just tossing this out as justification? BTW, there you go again; I didn't say he was an "unwaveringly horrible teammate"; I just disagreed with your characterization of him as a "decent teammate." If you want to refute, refute what is actually said.

[c.) Good grief. This is almost as bad as Shoota's hate of Crede. At least Shoota had statistical reasons.

Once again, flame all you want. Last bastion.

The fact remains that I think you're entitled to your opinion, although it would be nice if you expressed one that didn't rely on distortions, misquotes, and inflammatory statements. So why do you have such a problem with me being entitled to mine?

fquaye149
08-07-2005, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=fquaye149]a.)

[a) It's not that I disagree with you (which I do) but the fact that you are taking the absolutely undefensible position of RIPPING A PLAYER FOR BEING INJURED.]

Disagree all you want. I was here. You weren't. And IIRC, Sexson did the obligatory moan-and-groan, you're-paying-me-all-this-money, wish-I-could-help dirge, then when the D'Backs tried to re-sign him (several times), he went free-agent after wrapping his bankbook around 8.6 mil for 28 games. Nice payday, doncha think? True, he's only making 6 mil this year--not bad after not posting "normal" (your word) numbers--but he signed a multi-year deal worth $50 million. Just in case you're thinking of starting a tag day for him.

[b.) if you think David Wells is an unwaveringly horrible teammate ask Buehrle what he thinks of Boomer and if Mark thinks he would be half the pitcher he is without Wells' guidance.]

Ask Frank what he thinks. And do you know FOR A FACT that Buehrle thinks this, or are you just tossing this out as justification? BTW, there you go again; I didn't say he was an "unwaveringly horrible teammate"; I just disagreed with your characterization of him as a "decent teammate." If you want to refute, refute what is actually said.

[c.) Good grief. This is almost as bad as Shoota's hate of Crede. At least Shoota had statistical reasons.]

Once again, flame all you want. Last bastion.

The fact remains that I think you're entitled to your opinion, although it would be nice if you expressed one that didn't rely on distortions, misquotes, and inflammatory statements. So why do you have such a problem with me being entitled to mine?

a.) this is a business, not a charity. Lots of people get injured in one year contracts and go elsewhere. At least he pretended he wished he could help. Boomer is the exception in offering to take a paycut because he felt bad about being injured. However, that's his perogative. Sexson made very little in Milwaukee.

b.) We are all well aware of Wells' problems with Frank. However, that doesn't mean he is a horrible teammate. The reason I know Mark likes him so much is that Mark has said on many occasions what a positive impact Boomer had on him and how much he helped him mature as a pitcher.

c.) whatever. hate if you want. but it's completely ridiculous.

whitesoxwilkes
08-07-2005, 07:33 PM

Huzzah for MarySwiss!

Konerko's been carrying this team for the past 3 weeks or so.

I don't care if the guy's prone to an occasional stupid comment, he's one hell of a hitter and needs to spend a few more years on the south side.

UofCSoxFan
08-07-2005, 07:38 PM
A good outfielder doesn't see the wall...he tastes it.

Way to go Aaron.

MarySwiss
08-07-2005, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=MarySwiss]

a.) this is a business, not a charity. Lots of people get injured in one year contracts and go elsewhere. At least he pretended he wished he could help. Boomer is the exception in offering to take a paycut because he felt bad about being injured. However, that's his perogative. Sexson made very little in Milwaukee.
b.) We are all well aware of Wells' problems with Frank. However, that doesn't mean he is a horrible teammate. The reason I know Mark likes him so much is that Mark has said on many occasions what a positive impact Boomer had on him and how much he helped him mature as a pitcher.
c.) whatever. hate if you want. but it's completely ridiculous.

So, "pretending to wish you could help" makes you exempt from...oh, never mind. What's the point? I'm done arguing with someone who says baseball is "a business," but a ballplayer is noble if he "pretends to wish he could help" and is justified in collecting a big paycheck from Arizona because he "made very little in Milwaukee."

Again--and I'll say it slowly--I never said Wells was a horrible teammate. I questioned your description of him as a "decent teammate."

You think my opinion is ridiculous. (Yet more flaming.) Think what you want. That's your right. As far as I'm concerned, any further dialogue on this subject is "ridiculous." For obvious reasons.

Bye, now.

MarySwiss
08-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Huzzah for MarySwiss!

I don't care if the guy's prone to an occasional stupid comment, he's one hell of a hitter and needs to spend a few more years on the south side.

Thanks, Whitesoxwilkes! I've been feeling a mite abused lately, and your positive comments are much appreciated.

NWSox
08-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Excellent catch and good job by Garland getting 16. Start the ESPN road trip with a W!
"Win or Die trying's not just a saying, it's a deal."
:rowand"But I caught the ball."
"Oh."

My 7 year old was watching the game with me and said the same thing. "Dad, it's just like the commercial!" Very cool play.

Daver
08-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Huzzah for MarySwiss!

At between 8 and ten mil a year?

Questionable.

FarWestChicago
08-07-2005, 08:03 PM

Questionable.:walnuts

Ron Schueler is the best GM I've ever played for.

whitesoxwilkes
08-07-2005, 08:07 PM

Questionable.

Therein lies the rub. 8 million is high, 10 million is way too much.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-07-2005, 08:10 PM

Well I don't know if he'll spend a few more years on the South Side (I personally doubt it), but I guarantee if Konerko keeps hitting, we'll have yet another stupid comment of his to discuss and debate. The more he hits, the bigger his mouth becomes.

cbone
08-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Great win today! Garland back in form, get Pods going and look out. As echoed ealier in this thread, I hope Pods lights it up in NY and Boston.

Daver
08-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Therein lies the rub. 8 million is high, 10 million is way too much.

Do you really think his agents will negotiate a contract for less than that before the season ends?

If he is offered arbitration, and accepts it, which I beleive he will, he will make close to 9 mil next season.

Ol' No. 2
08-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Now for the bad news. As we all know, several experts predicted the Sox to win no more than 72 games. So I guess the rest of the season is lost. They won't win another game.

Unregistered
08-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Now for the bad news. As we all know, several experts predicted the Sox to win no more than 72 games. So I guess the rest of the season is lost. They won't win another game.
I knew it wouldn't be long before the Dark Clouds showed up. :D:

mr_genius
08-07-2005, 08:23 PM

Questionable.

like it or not, that is his market value

so if we let Konerko go who do you suggest we sign?

chisoxfanatic
08-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Looks like Rowand won once again!!! He always wins, rarely having to die trying, because he seems to get the job done at all times.

Konerko is not a bad guy like some will say. He's gonna be one of our main contributers during this second half and in the playoffs. How could a fan favorite be a bad guy?

I'm really liking what I'm seeing from Garland. If this were previous seasons, he would've allowed more than 1 run to score in that third inning indeed. He is a definite candidate for the Cy Young award...The guy's been outstanding in all but one outing!

It's time to dance with the banana!!! :supernana:

Daver
08-07-2005, 08:30 PM
like it or not, that is his market value

so if we let Konerko go who do you suggest we sign?

Do you really think another team is going to pay him 9 mil a years to hit .250?

mr_genius
08-07-2005, 08:34 PM

they've done dumber things in the past

he has a .278 career BA and is good for 30-40 hrs a year (according to his agent, lol).

btw, aren't we paying Dye like 12 million this year?

Unregistered
08-07-2005, 08:38 PM
btw, aren't we paying Dye like 12 million this year?Close - try $4 million. :smile:

Maybe we can pay half of Konerko's salary, in anticipation of the inevitable half of the season where he doesn't hit. :cool:

mr_genius
08-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Close - try $4 million. :smile:

sweet. weren't the A's paying him like 11 million a year for the past 2 seasons?

Maybe we can pay half of Konerko's salary, in anticipation of the inevitable half of the season where he doesn't hit. :cool:

haha, i still like paulie.

hose
08-07-2005, 08:50 PM
A good outfielder doesn't see the wall...he tastes it.

Way to go Aaron.

good one :cool:

I couldn't tell from where I was sitting if the ball was over the fence or in Aaron's glove. Talk about dramatics...:o:.

Vince McMahon couldn't have scripted it better with Aaron layed out after running into the wall and then slowly getting up .:bandance:

chisoxfanatic
08-07-2005, 08:52 PM
I couldn't tell from where I was sitting if the ball was over the fence or in Aaron's glove. Talk about dramatics...:o:.

I was worried that Rowand was HURT!!! He didn't get up for a while...Wheew, thankfully he wasn't!

Brian26
08-07-2005, 09:10 PM

In a heartbeat.

NSSoxFan
08-07-2005, 09:12 PM

Daver, you shoud rephrase your question to ask will any smart team pay him 9 mil.

Brian26
08-07-2005, 09:14 PM

I'm torn on Konerko. He's been one of my favorite players over the past five years, but I highly doubt KW is going to make an effort to bring him back for the kind of money Konerko's looking for. This is based on KW's success this past offseason in going a different route w/ the lower-priced/riskier free agent pick-ups. I see KW spending that PK money elsewhere (pitching) and try to slide Gload into first or possibly going after Overbay.

Chisox003
08-07-2005, 09:18 PM
I'm torn on Konerko. He's been one of my favorite players over the past five years, but I highly doubt KW is going to make an effort to bring him back for the kind of money Konerko's looking for. This is based on KW's success this past offseason in going a different route w/ the lower-priced/riskier free agent pick-ups. I see KW spending that PK money elsewhere (pitching) and try to slide Gload into first or possibly going after Overbay.

Konerko has to come for a whole lot less than his market value, because a team like the Mets that has $$$ to spend are going to pay a LOT for the big name, 40 HR, 100 RBI hitter

I dont see PK back here next year, so lets get him a ring

fquaye149
08-07-2005, 09:22 PM
[QUOTE=fquaye149]

So, "pretending to wish you could help" makes you exempt from...oh, never mind. What's the point? I'm done arguing with someone who says baseball is "a business," but a ballplayer is noble if he "pretends to wish he could help" and is justified in collecting a big paycheck from Arizona because he "made very little in Milwaukee."

Again--and I'll say it slowly--I never said Wells was a horrible teammate. I questioned your description of him as a "decent teammate."

You think my opinion is ridiculous. (Yet more flaming.) Think what you want. That's your right. As far as I'm concerned, any further dialogue on this subject is "ridiculous." For obvious reasons.

Bye, now.

ok - you can "dumb it down" for me, but a patronizing tone doesn't make it right. I've been hearing you talk about Sexson for like 7 posts and what it boils down to is you're pissed at him for

a.) signing a large contract
b.) getting hurt
c.) not resigning with the team.

It's pretty ****ing ridiculous. Whatever. You got burned by a bad contract. I never said it was noble to say you wish you could play...but it's certainly not a damning fact that he said he wished he could play. And if you want to think of baseball as more than a business, fine...but if you start faulting players for signing large contracts then you're being quite naive. Money talks and bull**** walks. Sure it's not idyllic, but Sexson is hardly the only one guilty of it.

I mean, what the ****? What are you so mad about? The d-backs wouldn't have won anything last year with a healthy Sexson, nor is Tony Perez a significant offensive downgrade. Why all the resentment? You're like the Sox fans still mad at Magglio (although at least they have the reasoning that he blatantly lied to our team and tried to cheat us out of money by lying about his injury).

And YES. I would consider David Wells a "decent teammate." He's not a bad teammate just because he didn't get along with Frank and he's not a great teammate just because Buehrle loved him. I would say decent teammate is a reasonable estimation.

MRKARNO
08-07-2005, 09:54 PM

You can bet that the Yankees and Mets will fighting over him and when that happens, crazy contracts ensue (12 mil a year for 4 years quite possibly).

I'm willing to keep him at 9 million, but if we could possibly spend the money on a left handed hitter, I would much rather that. We dont need more pitching. We need left-handed hitting.

nedlug
08-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Well I don't know if he'll spend a few more years on the South Side (I personally doubt it), but I guarantee if Konerko keeps hitting, we'll have yet another stupid comment of his to discuss and debate. The more he hits, the bigger his mouth becomes.

If those two are logically following, then I hope Paulie's mouth is running the rest of the year and into the playoffs!

ChiSoxGirl
08-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Rowand your mine!!!!!

That was going to be my post! :redface:

Rowand Rules! :bandance: Anyone think he has a decent shot at Gold Glove this season with Hunter being done for the year???

The Garland we've come to love this year returned to the ballpark after a one game hiatus this past Tuesday, and what a welcome sight he was!

Win #72 on a day honoring the beloved #72. Brooks, your timing was absolutely impeccable!

Let's go get 'em in NYC and Boston!

ChiSoxGirl
08-08-2005, 12:05 AM
I was worried that Rowand was HURT!!! He didn't get up for a while...Wheew, thankfully he wasn't!

Truer words have never been spoken! I was talking to my t.v. after he made that phenomenal play. "Rowand... get up, buddy! Oh My God, please don't be hurt!"

NDSox12
08-08-2005, 12:29 AM
Rowand Rules! :bandance: Anyone think he has a decent shot at Gold Glove this season with Hunter being done for the year???

That's a good question. I hadn't even thought of that, but with Hunter out you would think that would open the door for someone else to win a gold glove. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other AL center fielder who is better defensively than Rowand.

Do outfield gold gloves go by position (LF, CF, RF) or do they just give them to three outfielders regardless of position?

ChiSoxGirl
08-08-2005, 12:39 AM
Do outfield gold gloves go by position (LF, CF, RF) or do they just give them to three outfielders regardless of position?

Per Encarta Encyclopedia through MSN, which has a current list of A.L. outfield Gold Glove winners dating back to 1957, the outfield Gold Glove awards are distributed for each position.

And FYI, Hunter took it every season since 2001, and J.D. won it in 2000 for Kansas City!

Rowand has my vote for this year! Who's with me?

Iwritecode
08-08-2005, 12:49 AM

Wait a minute... You guys have a lounge too?

Man, I need to fill out an application... :wink:

SOX ADDICT '73
08-08-2005, 01:23 AM
I've been hearing you talk about Sexson for like 7 posts...
That's only because you keep egging her on. Leave MarySwiss alone. I'm sure she would have been content venting her frustration over Sexson in one post and leaving it at that. What, are you his agent or something?

I remember being more than a little ticked over the Boomer Wells saga: big name pitcher comes to the Sox a year after we made the post-season; was supposed to put us over the top in '01; pitches poorly, then gets hurt; returns to the Yankmees a year later, and has an outstanding season...sure, he couldn't help the injury, but that didn't make it suck any less for Sox fans.

How did a post-game thread celebrating a Sox victory turn into a bitch session about a Seattle Mariners first baseman?

voodoochile
08-08-2005, 01:28 AM
:winner

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

WOOHOO!!!

Jerome
08-08-2005, 01:38 AM
I've not been on WSI very much lately because I was in Chicago and other Midwest locales and didn't have access to a computer for almost two weeks. If I had access to WSI, I would have complimented Konerko on his streak. During the last week (not counting today), Paulie has hit .333, with a .448 OBP and a .750 SLG! So, hat's off to Paulie on his recent tear! Keep it up!

:supernana::):supernana::gulp::supernana:

Konerko was responsible for 4 of our last 7 runs in the wins, right?

What did smallball get us exactly? We need Konerko's homers just as much as we need Podsednik's SBs.

By the way, because of Buhrle and Garland, plus Garcia, not even mentioning El Duque, I think KW deserves some credit for assembling a staff that can compete with anyone in a playoff series.

Whitesox029
08-08-2005, 02:12 AM
I can hear PAULIE! PAULIE! PAULIE! in my mind right now...
GO SOX!

MarySwiss
08-08-2005, 02:19 AM
That's only because you keep egging her on. Leave MarySwiss alone. I'm sure she would have been content venting her frustration over Sexson in one post and leaving it at that. What, are you his agent or something?

I remember being more than a little ticked over the Boomer Wells saga: big name pitcher comes to the Sox a year after we made the post-season; was supposed to put us over the top in '01; pitches poorly, then gets hurt; returns to the Yankmees a year later, and has an outstanding season...sure, he couldn't help the injury, but that didn't make it suck any less for Sox fans.

How did a post-game thread celebrating a Sox victory turn into a bitch session about a Seattle Mariners first baseman?

Thanks, Sox Addict. Actually, you're exactly right. I was ticked about Sexson, mainly because D'Backs fans (which I am one of, second to the Sox) had such high hopes when he came here. I know he couldn't help being injured, and of course I don't really hate him, why should I?

And the Sox won; that's the important thing.

fquaye149
08-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks, Sox Addict. Actually, you're exactly right. I was ticked about Sexson, mainly because D'Backs fans (which I am one of, second to the Sox) had such high hopes when he came here. I know he couldn't help being injured, and of course I don't really hate him, why should I?

And the Sox won; that's the important thing.

I mean, I'm sorry I made such a big deal about it, because, truth be told, I couldn't care less about Sexson.

I can understand why you'd be frustrated that he was hurt, just like we were frustrated when Wells got hurt. I just didn't think it was fair you blame the PERSON. It seemed a little vindicitive.

But anyway - I'm sorry I blew this out of proportion.

72 wins - Go Sox!

MarySwiss
08-08-2005, 10:14 AM
I mean, I'm sorry I made such a big deal about it, because, truth be told, I couldn't care less about Sexson.
I can understand why you'd be frustrated that he was hurt, just like we were frustrated when Wells got hurt. I just didn't think it was fair you blame the PERSON. It seemed a little vindicitive.
But anyway - I'm sorry I blew this out of proportion.
72 wins - Go Sox!

Well, you didn't blow it out of proportion all alone; I helped!

And in fairness to Sexson, IIRC he did try to come back but reinjured his shoulder. In fact, I really liked him and felt really sorry for him until he wound up leaving the team. But that's ancient history now.

Anyway, apology accepted, and I apologize as well. Now let's go get those Yankees!

BeviBall!
08-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Meanwhile, Sexson is still standing, mouth agape and staring in disbelief, that AR caught that ball.

MarySwiss
08-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Meanwhile, Sexson is still standing, mouth agape and staring in disbelief, that AR caught that ball.

Ah, yesss! Excellent point! Just thinking about that catch just now brought out a big grin!

jdm2662
08-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Great time yesterday. I got there just in time for the ceremony. I was also lucky enough to go to Fisk's last game in '93. It was a shame how his tenure ended, but he didn't have it anymore.

As for the game, great catch Rowand! That was the game right there! Bring on the Yankees and the face of baseball!!!

Fake Chet Lemon
08-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Two straight wins in front of big crowds. That's great to see the team getting used to winning those. :bandance: