PDA

View Full Version : The Lumbering Ox

FarWestChicago
11-27-2001, 02:35 AM
OK, the A's offered him $15.17 million per year for 6 years and King George offered him $17 million per year for 7 years. Will he stay or will he Pay-Rod? Of course, the Skanks are a little better than the Texas Pay-Rods, LOL!

RedPinStripes
11-27-2001, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
OK, the A's offered him $15.17 million per year for 6 years and King George offered him $17 million per year for 7 years. Will he stay or will he Pay-Rod? Of course, the Skanks are a little better than the Texas Pay-Rods, LOL!

If he goes to NY, he automatically a scumbag in my book. :angry:

kermittheefrog
11-27-2001, 02:39 AM

Speaking of the lumbering Ox this might be an interesting read:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20011121daily.html

Feel free to skip past the Ichiro as MVP anti-rant. There is an interesting comparison of Lumbering Ox, Mo Vaughn or maybe I should say the Hit Dog and the Big Hurt.

Paulwny
11-27-2001, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by ComiskeyBum

Get ready to write his name in your scumbag book.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-yanks272481536nov27.story?coll=ny%2Dbaseball%2Dhea dlines

ma-gaga
11-27-2001, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Get ready to write his name in your scumbag book.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-yanks272481536nov27.story?coll=ny%2Dbaseball%2Dhea dlines

As a general rule: Newsday, and the NY Post are NOT the authoritive places to go to get unbiased free-agent information from. The NY Post is on a level all to themselves, and Newsday is a bit better, but if you believed them, Chris Webber, Vince Carter and Gary Payton would all be Knicks running with Spreewell, Camby and Houston... BTW, the Mets are going to get Juan Gonzolez for $13M. Plus pitching, plus defense, but all while holding their budget under $90M.

Not that there is anything wrong with biased coverage. :D Just know your sources.

Paulwny
11-27-2001, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

As a general rule: Newsday, and the NY Post are NOT the authoritive places to go to get unbiased free-agent information from. The NY Post is on a level all to themselves, and Newsday is a bit better, but if you believed them, Chris Webber, Vince Carter and Gary Payton would all be Knicks running with Spreewell, Camby and Houston... BTW, the Mets are going to get Juan Gonzolez for $13M. Plus pitching, plus defense, but all while holding their budget under $90M.

Not that there is anything wrong with biased coverage. :D Just know your sources.

I don't disagree but, Newsday was the only one that I saw who reported that the yankmee/cub Sosa deal would never happen and the yankmees were actually negotiating with the tribe for Justice.
Newsday must have some contacts. I never read the Post.

FarWestChicago
11-27-2001, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Not that there is anything wrong with biased coverage. :D Just know your sources. My reports are all from the local coverage here. This morning one reporter who swore up until last week the Ox was staying said he'll be in pinstripes before Friday.

NUCatsFan
11-27-2001, 12:43 PM
My reports are all from the local coverage here. This morning one reporter who swore up until last week the Ox was staying said he'll be in pinstripes before Friday.

Which one was saying that?

FarWestChicago
11-27-2001, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by NUCatsFan

Which one was saying that? Susan Slusher (I think that's her name) from the Chron was on with Gary and Rod this morning. She bailed after dozens of assurances he was staying during my afternoon commute listening to the Razor and Mr. T. :smile:

ma-gaga
11-27-2001, 01:18 PM
My reports are all from the local coverage here. This morning one reporter who swore up until last week the Ox was staying said he'll be in pinstripes before Friday.

Local coverage for FWC is the source I'd use. The team's local beat writers usually have a better idea on what's going on with their team.

:discomoron
'I'm a "columnist", not a beat writer.'

Dadawg_77
11-27-2001, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by ComiskeyBum

I won't call him a scumbag, hell if George offere me 17 mill to play baseball, I a yankee as of then. Plus if Oakland gave him the no trade clause he would of stayed in Oakland.

Iwritecode
11-27-2001, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

I won't call him a scumbag, hell if George offere me 17 mill to play baseball, I a yankee as of then. Plus if Oakland gave him the no trade clause he would of stayed in Oakland.

Ya know, players used to play because they loved the game, not because of how much money they could make...

:manos

Ahem.

Spiff
11-27-2001, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

The no-trade clause thing was so idiotic too. If he plays well, they won't want to trade him. And if he doesn't, nobody's going to want to take on his salary.

NUCatsFan
11-27-2001, 04:48 PM
Susan Slusher (I think that's her name) from the Chron was on with Gary and Rod this morning. She bailed after dozens of assurances he was staying during my afternoon commute listening to the Razor and Mr. T.

You know, I don't listen to much of KNBR anymore (except ESPN's AllNight). Think I got too fed up with the "San Francisco is the best in almost every sport" feel of the station. Though I did flip it on this morning. Certainly sounded like Rod was ripping into Giambi himself.

kermittheefrog
11-27-2001, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00

The no-trade clause thing was so idiotic too. If he plays well, they won't want to trade him. And if he doesn't, nobody's going to want to take on his salary.

Yeah seriously, no trade clauses are all about making the player feel welcome. Eventually Giambi is gonna be a 10 and 5 man anyway. If they are doing well there is no way he's going anywhere but if they suck it's not like he wouldn't approve a trade to a contender.

CerberusWG
11-27-2001, 08:00 PM
Excuse me while I vomit all over myself. This is absolutley disgusting, 15-17 million a year? No wonder baseball is so f'd up. While George Steinbrenner dreams for Giambi, I dream for a salary cap and a life threatening accident involving Bud Selig.

kermittheefrog
11-27-2001, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
Excuse me while I vomit all over myself. This is absolutley disgusting, 15-17 million a year? No wonder baseball is so f'd up. While George Steinbrenner dreams for Giambi, I dream for a salary cap and a life threatening accident involving Bud Selig.

And what problems do you think a salary cap would solve?

Jerry_Manuel
11-27-2001, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
And what problems do you think a salary cap would solve?

Unless their is a heavy luxury tax on teams when they go over the cap the answer is nothing.

LongDistanceFan
11-27-2001, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Unless their is a heavy luxury tax on teams when they go over the cap the answer is nothing. so i guess its final............ the oxman in a nyy.

Jerry_Manuel
11-27-2001, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
so i guess its final............ the oxman in a nyy.

Well nothing is done yet, but it doesn't look good if you are an A's fan.

GASHWOUND
11-27-2001, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG

I vomited a couple times today but thats a different story. But this is F'd up. The Spanks get whom ever they want while we(Sox) don't get *****.
What would the Spanks paroll be if Giambi's 17 mill was added to the already robust payroll?

:reinsy
"No people in the seats, no free agents."

Ahhh, shut up.
:angry: