PDA

View Full Version : Looking back...83 playoffs

mike squires
08-07-2005, 01:13 AM
OK, talking abut the playoffs in a prior thread brought up another question. Why did Larussa leave Burns in for so long? The guy threw 150 pitches and I'm pretty sure the bullpen was fresh. I realize Borojas gave up another two runs but man...150 pitches. That is unheard of today. Burns gave up 8 walks that day. That being said, Burns pitched a hell of a game that day. I'm just curious. Especially the way Tony likes to use that pen.

RadioheadRocks
08-07-2005, 01:22 AM
OK, talking abut the playoffs in a prior thread brought up another question. Why did Larussa leave Burns in for so long? The guy threw 150 pitches and I'm pretty sure the bullpen was fresh. I realize Borojas gave up another two runs but man...150 pitches. That is unheard of today. Burns gave up 8 walks that day. That being said, Burns pitched a hell of a game that day. I'm just curious. Especially the way Tony likes to use that pen.

Not sure why either... remember that game like it was yesterday. Say what you will about Britt Burns... he pitched the game of his life that day and deserved a much better fate.

DenverSock
08-07-2005, 01:25 AM

the reason he left him in was quite simply, there was nobody left in the bullpen! Everybody knew going in that Britt Burns needed to finish the game, and he nearly did. (broke my heart too.)

SaltyPretzel
08-07-2005, 01:41 AM
I'll never forget. Right after the game, my dad pulled out of his pocket 4 tickets for game 5. :whiner:

mike squires
08-07-2005, 01:54 AM
the reason he left him in was quite simply, there was nobody left in the bullpen! Everybody knew going in that Britt Burns needed to finish the game, and he nearly did. (broke my heart too.)

Looking back threw the media guide, Koosman and Agusto only pitched 1/3 of an inning. Maybe the situations didn't call for those two but I was just curious. The Sox squandered many chances that game 4 including the winning run standing 90 feet away with Rudy Law at the plate. Rudy was the best hitter for the Sox that series. .389.

IowaSox1971
08-07-2005, 02:45 AM
Games were managed differently back then. Pitch counts were rarely used in determining whether to take a pitcher out. If a pitcher was still effective, he usually stayed in the game.

cbone
08-07-2005, 08:04 AM
... remember that game like it was yesterday. .

I remember the whole series. I am like i a little kid waiting for Christmas this year. I am trying to enjoy the season, but knowing that post-season is a reality for us is great. Seeing Pods get back on track last night just gave me a really good feeling.

C-Dawg
08-07-2005, 08:27 AM
The Burns game was the one with the weird double play with Dybzynsky caught in the rundown and Law I believe out at the plate - it was such a rally killer I was almost afraid to watch the rest of the game. Although it was 0-0 it seemed we were doomed from that moment forwards.

mike squires
08-07-2005, 10:13 AM
I know it's a small point but it wasn't quite a double play. Dyb actually made it back to second without being tagged out. they opted to throw home when Vance Law broke for the plate. Law hit Dempsey hard. I've mentioned this before but Dempsey NEVER touches Law with the ball. But, that being said...Law NEVER touches home either.:whiner: