PDA

View Full Version : Brew Crew vs. Messiahs

SOXintheBURGH
08-06-2005, 09:42 PM
I was sitting and work thinking about this...

(Since all I do at work is think about baseball and the next possible moment I can get to WSI)...

And then I get home from work and Kruk (I know, I know.. I'm sorry) mentioned the Brewers future.

Starting next year, who will win a World Series first? The True Blue Brew Crew; or the the Scrubs?

:reinsy
Your thoughts?

Whitesox029
08-06-2005, 09:51 PM
The Brewers are half way through their rebuilding process. The Cubs have yet to realize that the team they have isn't working and will likely make a bunch of salary dumping trades at the deadline next year to start all over (if they're smart...if not, they'll suffer through the purgatory of .500 teams). The Brew Crew is much improved over last year while the Cubs are getting progressively worse each year.
I saw the Brewers at Miller Park a week ago yesterday and they have a dangerous lineup. Brady Clark is a very promising player. He should have been an all-star this year and he will be so in years to come. The Brewers are merely passing the cubs on the way up.

batmanZoSo
08-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Well, the Brew Crew have all eternity to get the job done.

So, I'm-a go with them. :wink:

SOXintheBURGH
08-06-2005, 09:59 PM
The Brewers are half way through their rebuilding process. The Cubs have yet to realize that the team they have isn't working and will likely make a bunch of salary dumping trades at the deadline next year to start all over (if they're smart...if not, they'll suffer through the purgatory of .500 teams). The Brew Crew is much improved over last year while the Cubs are getting progressively worse each year.
I saw the Brewers at Miller Park a week ago yesterday and they have a dangerous lineup. Brady Clark is a very promising player. He should have been an all-star this year and he will be so in years to come. The Brewers are merely passing the cubs on the way up.

That's more or less what I mean. Mill-ay-wau-kay (which is Algonquin for "the Good Land") already has a formidable line-up, which will only improve. They have some pitching too.

What will seriously happen first?

Will Milwaukee get it all together with their lineup and pitching?

Will the Cubs actually not be the Cubs?

It's kind of hard to tell.

I hate to admit it, but seriously.. I see a Cubs championship before 2020 (a century and then some is a good measuring stick).

Whitesox029
08-06-2005, 10:10 PM
I hate to admit it, but seriously.. I see a Cubs championship before 2020 (a century and then some is a good measuring stick).
That's not to say the Brewers can't do it by 2010 if they play their cards right...right? Anything can happen in 15 years. The Pirates, Royals, Rockies, and D-Rays could be contenders by then. Past the next 5 years or so you can't predict.

slavko
08-06-2005, 10:27 PM
It's an era of free agency and the Blue Fools still have that big revenue stream. Money still talks. And don't forget they have Macias which sounds like Mesias (Messiah in German).

Erik The Red
08-06-2005, 10:30 PM
The Brew Crew are closer right now, as they're on the upswing. But the Scrubs clearly have the advantage when it comes to how much they can spend. Of course, look at how many championships 3/4 of a billion dollars or so have bought the Yankmees in the last several years.

It's pretty much a crapshoot, and will come down to who can develop the better players. The Brewers have the advantage in that respect, because they have to contend year in and year out with being a small-market team.

SOXintheBURGH
08-06-2005, 11:12 PM
The Brew Crew are closer right now, as they're on the upswing. But the Scrubs clearly have the advantage when it comes to how much they can spend. Of course, look at how many championships 3/4 of a billion dollars or so have bought the Yankmees in the last several years.

It's pretty much a crapshoot, and will come down to who can develop the better players. The Brewers have the advantage in that respect, because they have to contend year in and year out with being a small-market team.

That's more or less what it comes down too.

Brewers pulling a 2003 - Fish?

We'll develop some pitching and talented hitters, and some key FAs.

or

Cubs pulling a 2004 - Red Cubs?

We'll just throw some money around and pray.

Ol' No. 2
08-07-2005, 10:39 AM
I saw the Brewers at Miller Park a week ago yesterday and they have a dangerous lineup. Brady Clark is a very promising player. He should have been an all-star this year and he will be so in years to come. The Brewers are merely passing the cubs on the way up.Unfortunately for the Cubs, they can't really tear the team down and rebuild because their fans aren't smart enough to understand the need for it and would never stand for it. Exhibit A: Most of them still think the Cubs can do it this year. Plus, being baseball naifs, they love their free-swinging HR hitters.

Erik The Red
08-07-2005, 12:49 PM

or

We'll just throw some money around and pray.
Yeah, seriously. I don't ever want to hear any whining from BoSox fans about the "Evil Empire". Here's a question: who had the 2nd highest payroll all those years?

Yeah, thought so. ****.

Fredsox
08-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Starting next year, who will win a World Series first? The True Blue Brew Crew; or the the Scrubs?

I think that World Championships stem from overall organizational commitment both at the major and minor league levels. If ownership is truly committed to winning and willing to spend appropriately (<> endless $), and the players that they acquire have both the talent and the desire, the team should compete seriously for a title.

I can't speak for the Brew Crew from any real knowledge but they seem to interested in competing. They've at least made it to a WS in my lifetime, more than I can say about the cub.

I do not believe that cub ownership really cares about winning more than it takes to keep the cash register ringing. As such, I think MKE will win before the cub will.

mdep524
08-07-2005, 01:27 PM

or

We'll just throw some money around and pray. Good point, 'burgh. With the NL being as weak as it is, it would be hard for even mediocre Cubs teams not to be competitive for the next few years. If they go out and spend some money in the offseason and at deadline time, they could pull a Red Cubs.

Sure they had a good team, but let's be honest, the reason the Red Sox finally won the WS last year wasn't the end of some curse, they just outspent the hell out of the competition (minus the Yankees). Nothing "magical" about that.

fquaye149
08-07-2005, 02:03 PM
I was sitting and work thinking about this...

(Since all I do at work is think about baseball and the next possible moment I can get to WSI)...

And then I get home from work and Kruk (I know, I know.. I'm sorry) mentioned the Brewers future.

:reinsy
Your thoughts?

lol @ the random jerry picture.

But I think the Brewers are poised for 2007 to be with ST. L. as the top teams in that division. Their pitching has been good. They have a good pitching coach in Maddux. They have a good minor league system because of being lousy so long. They have one of the best young 2nd basemen and the top prospect in baseball about to come up. Carlos Lee will be solid, as will Brady Clark.

If they can find some help at catcher and outfield, I don't see why they wouldn't be a formidable team in years to come.

TDog
08-07-2005, 02:54 PM
What makes you think either team will ever win the World Series?

In about 1971, Jerome Holtzman said the Sox would win the Series before the Cubs. When pressed on a White Sox pregame show, he said he had no reason to believe the Sox would win the World Series soon and that it was just a guess, more of a slam at the way the Cubs choke, I think. More than 30 years later, neither team has made it to the World Series.

With more teams in each league and more rounds of playoffs, the chances of getting to the Series with a good team are diminished and the chances of being knocked off in a short playoff round even if you have a great team area increased.

It has been almost a century since the Cubs won the Series, and I'm not sure if the Cubs or the Brewers or even the White Sox will ever win another.

I was in a Cab in Ireland, and the driver was telling me about how the local football (soccer) team was playing for the championship. They hadn't won in five or seven years, he said. He asked me about my team in America. I said I was a baseball fan, and I could tell you stories that would make you cry.

If I were to vote in the poll, I would vote for none of the above.

Banix12
08-07-2005, 10:06 PM
I think the Brewers future largely depends on their new owner and how he decides to run his team. So far I like what he has done in allowing Doug Melvin to sign up players like Ben Sheets to long term deals for solid amounts of money instead of letting their players run off and sign elsewhere.

I look at the cubs and I think of the White Sox a couple of years ago say around 2002-2003. A team that was tricked by one really good season (cubs 2003/sox 2000) into believing that they were a better team than what they were. Over reliant on the homerun and pitching that never quite seems to live up to the hype, despite enourmous promise.

The cubs have still never won more than 89 games in a season in this little run of theirs lately, proof to me that they were never that great to begin with. They need a complete overhaul and I don't see it happening.

Melvin is a much better GM than Hendry and if he can get support from ownership to increase payroll just a little bit i think he could build a very competitive team that can compete for the next few years.

I'm also a huge Ned Yost fan, I think it was great that they are keeping him around.