PDA

View Full Version : First chioce to trade

RedPinStripes
11-27-2001, 01:22 AM
This should get interesting.

kermittheefrog
11-27-2001, 01:49 AM
Could we put Rowand up there too? Actually how about just his goatee?

FarWestChicago
11-27-2001, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Could we put Rowand up there too? Actually how about just his goatee? I'm not complaining. I like it. But, when the hell did you start with this sense of humor thing? :D:

RedPinStripes
11-27-2001, 01:56 AM
O boy. That could fire up that Rowand thread that just won't die. :D:

kermittheefrog
11-27-2001, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I'm not complaining. I like it. But, when the hell did you start with this sense of humor thing? :D:

I've always had it, it just took me a while to figure out that non-statheads don't think jokes about Garret Anderson's lack of plate discipline are funny.

kermittheefrog
11-27-2001, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by ComiskeyBum
O boy. That could fire up that Rowand thread that just won't die. :D:

Watch someone show up and start arguing that because I said Clemente was a great hitter that swung at everything I'm a hypocrit.

FarWestChicago
11-27-2001, 02:08 AM

Watch someone show up and start arguing that because I said Clemente was a great hitter that swung at everything I'm a hypocrit. Clemente was exceptional. I have seen you allow for exceptions before. Look at the year Bonds had 11 years after he was "officially" washed up. :D:

RedPinStripes
11-27-2001, 02:09 AM

Watch someone show up and start arguing that because I said Clemente was a great hitter that swung at everything I'm a hypocrit.

Give it time. I'm sure another entertaining brawl is coming.

kermittheefrog
11-27-2001, 02:18 AM
Clemente was exceptional. I have seen you allow for exceptions before. Look at the year Bonds had 11 years after he was "officially" washed up. :D:

The exceptions are almsot all guys like Bonds and Clemente with amazing ability. Remember when I said we should sign Henderson? I still think we should, if you have hall of fame ability then it doesn't matter nearly as much how old you are.

Oh and back on the subject of my sense of humor. Would you believe that I'm actually notable for it at school?

CLR01
11-27-2001, 02:40 AM

Oh and back on the subject of my sense of humor. Would you believe that I'm actually notable for it at school?

LOL....no. :)

FarWestChicago
11-27-2001, 02:44 AM

The exceptions are almsot all guys like Bonds and Clemente with amazing ability. Remember when I said we should sign Henderson? I still think we should, if you have hall of fame ability then it doesn't matter nearly as much how old you are.

Oh and back on the subject of my sense of humor. Would you believe that I'm actually notable for it at school? Can you believe the year Bonds had? I don't care how old he was. It was ridiculous! As a stathead you should have been astonished.

And, unlike my surly friend CLR (still smarting from that last Bears win) I'm willing to give you a chance on the sense of humor. :D:

kermittheefrog
11-27-2001, 02:55 AM
Can you believe the year Bonds had? I don't care how old he was. It was ridiculous! As a stathead you should have been astonished.

And, unlike my surly friend CLR (still smarting from that last Bears win) I'm willing to give you a chance on the sense of humor. :D:

I'm still shocked. I never thought I'd see a .500 OBP season let alone Bonds breaking the slugging average record. *amazing*

FarWestChicago
11-27-2001, 02:57 AM

I'm still shocked. I never thought I'd see a .500 OBP season let alone Bonds breaking the slugging average record. *amazing* And, don't forget the walks record! :smile:

Vsahajpal
11-27-2001, 04:15 AM
not to break away from this scintillating conversation, but why would the Sox trade Ray Durham? He's a pretty darn good catalyst, arguably the team's best baserunner, and a heck of a 2nd baseman. Granted, he isn't the prototypical leadoff hitter with his swing for the fences mentality, but I think it'd be a mistake to trade him, considering Hummel's a year away.

I would deal Carlos Lee, possibly package him with Kip Wells for Shannon Stewart, and let either Ray or Shannon bat leadoff, with the other batting 2nd.

MikeKreevich
11-27-2001, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
not to break away from this scintillating conversation, but why would the Sox trade Ray Durham? He's a pretty darn good catalyst, arguably the team's best baserunner, and a heck of a 2nd baseman. Granted, he isn't the prototypical leadoff hitter with his swing for the fences mentality, but I think it'd be a mistake to trade him, considering Hummel's a year away.

I would deal Carlos Lee, possibly package him with Kip Wells for Shannon Stewart, and let either Ray or Shannon bat leadoff, with the other batting 2nd.

You have to give up something to get something.
Ray Ray will never be a lead off man. He's not a very good base stealer. He can't go to his right. He' getting older.
Trading him will open up a spot for Valentin at second. Trading Clayton won't bring you much.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-27-2001, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Vic speaks like almost every Cubs fan I've ever heard offer an opinion about Durham. There is a real fascination the North Side fans have with him. I can't explain it.

Durham is fast but can't/won't steal a base. His OBP has fallen as his power swings increase. In the field, he can't move to his right (ask any Sox Fan), his glove is too small (ask Jerry Manuel), and unless he's receiving a laser beam from Jose Valentin, he can't turn a double play (ask Royce Clayton).

Having said all that, he's head and shoulders better than any other option the Sox have at second base. I say keep him, but definitely look for a new leadoff man.

kermittheefrog
11-27-2001, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat

Ray Ray will never be a lead off man. He's not a very good base stealer. He can't go to his right. He' getting older.
Trading him will open up a spot for Valentin at second. Trading Clayton won't bring you much.

How can you say Durham will never be a leadoff man when that has been his exact job for several years now and one of the teams he leadoff for scored 900 some runs leading the AL?

PaleHoseGeorge
11-27-2001, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat

The only good reason I can think of for trading Durham is to solve our logjam at shortstop. The number of problems created by KW's stupid trade of Myette and [insert name of forgotten pitcher here] for Alex Rodriguez's understudy was the biggest mistake (in a mountain of mistakes) our rookie GM made last winter.

Trading Durham solves nothing. You still have puss arm at shortstop, Valentin out of position again at second base, and nobody left to fill the hole at third base--unless you're willing to bet the farm Crede gets the job full-time. Manuel seemed reluctant to commit to that last September.

Let's face it. The problem isn't Durham. The problem is the fact Kenny Williams has wasted nearly a year trying to trade Royce Clayton and NOBODY wants him. I would cut the guy before I rearranged my entire infield just to accommodate his whining butt.

Shortstops who bat eighth come a dime a dozen.

RedPinStripes
11-27-2001, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

The only good reason I can think of for trading Durham is to solve our logjam at shortstop. The number of problems created by KW's stupid trade of Myette and [insert name of forgotten pitcher here] for Alex Rodriguez's understudy was the biggest mistake (in a mountain of mistakes) our rookie GM made last winter.

Trading Durham solves nothing. You still have puss arm at shortstop, Valentin out of position again at second base, and nobody left to fill the hole at third base--unless you're willing to bet the farm Crede gets the job full-time. Manuel seemed reluctant to commit to that last September.

Let's face it. The problem isn't Durham. The problem is the fact Kenny Williams has wasted nearly a year trying to trade Royce Clayton and NOBODY wants him. I would cut the guy before I rearranged my entire infield just to accommodate his whining butt.

Exactly!

RedPinStripes
11-27-2001, 03:43 PM
Singleton's getting more votes then I thought.

"I'm still the man Jerry"
:flameswing

kermittheefrog
11-27-2001, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

BOOOOOOOOOYAH!!! Even the Orioles were smart enough to cut Brady Anderson despite his fat contrat. Oh wait, we're rumored to be after him *sigh*

duke of dorwood
11-27-2001, 07:12 PM
:walk

Whew ! Still a fan favorite

CLR01
11-27-2001, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by ComiskeyBum
Singleton's getting more votes then I thought.

"I'm still the man Jerry"
:flameswing

What the hell do you people know anyway. Singleton rocks and you all are just jealous.

"Keep voting for me and i assure you there will be no baseball next year."

:slowswing

Spiff
11-27-2001, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by CLR01

What the hell do you people know anyway. Singleton rocks and you all are just jealous.

"Keep voting for me and i assure you there will be no baseball next year."

:slowswing

We root for the white sox so I guess there's your answer...