PDA

View Full Version : Pitcher batting in spot other than 9th?

downstairs
08-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Not counting goofy managerial decisions like Tony LaRussa had once to always hit his pitcher 8th...

Has there every been a pitcher (pre-DH MLB, or post-DH National League) that was such a good hitter that he normally hit in a spot other than 9th?

Its hard to research batting orders... wondering if anyone remembers off the top of their heads?

TornLabrum
08-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Not counting goofy managerial decisions like Tony LaRussa had once to always hit his pitcher 8th...

Has there every been a pitcher (pre-DH MLB, or post-DH National League) that was such a good hitter that he normally hit in a spot other than 9th?

Its hard to research batting orders... wondering if anyone remembers off the top of their heads?

I know Gary Peters batted sixth once or twice.

Soxzilla
08-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Rich Ankiel was probably a better hitter than he was pitcher...the only problem was, he was a terrible pitcher.

StockdaleForVeep
08-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Didnt prior do this once?

Garland_IS_God
08-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Rich Ankiel was probably a better hitter than he was pitcher...the only problem was, he was a terrible pitcher.

i read he's trying to come back as an outfielder. brookes kieschnick style.

A_ROW33
08-06-2005, 03:09 PM
except backwards, Kieschnick was drafted and brought up a hitter then converted to a pitcher.

rowand33
08-06-2005, 03:22 PM

he actually did decent in A ball this year. .270 AVG, .368 OBP, 11 HR 45 RBI in 185 AB

ATXBMX
08-06-2005, 04:26 PM
umm, Babe Ruth?

RKMeibalane
08-06-2005, 04:29 PM
The Cardinals started hitting their starters eighth during the 1998 season, so that Steroid Boy could have more men on base in front of him when he came to the plate.

Lip Man 1
08-06-2005, 10:53 PM
On May 26, 1968 in game one of a double header at New York, Sox manager Eddie Stanky had Gary Peters hit 6th. He batted ahead of the late Duane Josephson, Luis Aparicio and Tim Cullen. By the way the Sox lost 5-1.

Lip

I want Mags back
08-07-2005, 07:31 PM
In the PRE-DH ERA, as u said, there was this guy who pitched for Boston, his name was Ruth, maybe you've heard of him

MisterB
08-08-2005, 02:28 AM
In the PRE-DH ERA, as u said, there was this guy who pitched for Boston, his name was Ruth, maybe you've heard of him

I'm not sure where Ruth normally was in the Boston lineup during the regular season, but Retrosheet (http://www.retrosheet.org/) has his World Series box scores. Of Ruth's 5 WS games with the Red Sox he batted 9th twice and 6th once as the starting pitcher, and pinch hit the other 2 times - once for the pitcher in the 9 hole and once for the cleanup hitter (and staying in to play LF).

tlebar318
08-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Ken Brett...George's brother by the way did it for the White Sox I think it was in 1976? The lineup had him hitting 5th or 6th because our DH was not as good a hitter as Ken was....at least that is how I remember it--I was only 11 at the time....

MisterB
08-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Ken Brett...George's brother by the way did it for the White Sox I think it was in 1976? The lineup had him hitting 5th or 6th because our DH was not as good a hitter as Ken was....at least that is how I remember it--I was only 11 at the time....

Actually, Brett batted 8th in a late September start in '76. But he did pinch hit several times that season, one time in place of Brian Downing who was batting 5th in the order.

TDog
08-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Actually, Brett batted 8th in a late September start in '76. But he did pinch hit several times that season, one time in place of Brian Downing who was batting 5th in the order.

I missed that late September game, because I was away at college. The game I remember Brett hitting for himself in the order -- the first time he did it -- he batted ninth. He came up 12 times that season and got one hit, and that apparently came as a pinch-hitter. If they hadn't traded Carlos May away for him, they would have had someone better to DH the games Brett hit for himself. Brett didn't bat at all for the 1977 team, before they shipped traded him to California in June. He never hit for the Angels, Twinks or Royals, his post-White Sox American League teams.

Brett had credentials as a hitter. In 1973, he homered in four straight starts and got two hits in the game in which he gave up Henry Aaron's 700th home run. I don't know where he hit in the order, but I do know that Rick Wise batted ninth the night in 1971 when he hit two home runs while pitching a no-hitter.

You have to be a good pitcher as well as a good hitter to bat anywhere but ninth. If you're not effective enough to last deep in the game, your team is stuck with a reliever hitting somewhere other than ninth. In high school, before the DH, which is more complicated at the amateur level, a hitting pitcher would have gone to the outfield after being knocked out.

For the White Sox, Ken Brett batting eighth -- Ken Brett batting at all -- was more a reflection of how bad the rest of the team was hitting than an indication he was a superior hitter.

DarkCloudDropo
08-08-2005, 11:47 AM
I know Gary Peters batted sixth once or twice.

He pinch hit on occasion too.

I just looked it up. He was 16 for 66 as a pinch hitter. Not bad for a pitcher.:smile: