PDA

View Full Version : Omar Vizquel revisited

mdep524
08-06-2005, 12:02 PM
No question Scott Podsednik is the heart of this Sox team, and the key to the whole Smallball mentality. I don't think his slump is anything more than a few weeks of mediocre play, and he should be back to form for the playoffs. But... his slump has revealed the inconsistency of the Sox smallball attack from hitters 3-9.

Iguchi, obviously, has been amazing. But could the Sox use a little fortification on the offensive side not from a slugger like Griffey, but instead from a playoff experienced, speedy, clever smallball player like Omar Vizquel?

Maybe Brian Sabean will come to his senses and realize his team sucks, in 2005 AND 2006. Would Vizquel, a 38-year-old shortstop with 2 more years on his contract, have a chance of getting through waivers? Not a certainty, but I think its a possibility. The usual suspects Boston and NYY obviously have no use for him, nor do StL, Anaheim or Oakland, the other playoff certainties. Would any other team on the fringe have interest? A rebuilding team wouldn't.

If he gets through and the Sox acquire him, he could start at SS or even DH, and Uribe could be the super-utility infielder, replacing the underwhelming Geoff Blum. He could bat 2nd, (Iguchi hitting third) or strengthen the bottom of the order at the 8 or 9 spot. Mostly, he would give the Sox a huge insurance policy against a Smallball meltdown or slump in the playoffs, as between him, Pods and Iguchi we'd have three of the best making things happen for our line up.

Thoughts?

Tragg
08-06-2005, 12:16 PM
IMO, We need a real bat in this lineup. For the price of getting Vizquel, we could have gotten Huff, who would have helped this team a lot more than Vizquel would. And the price was too high for Huff. We'd probably have to offer MORE talent to get Vizquel, than we were willing to give up to get a premium hitter in Griffey. Vizquel is a .290 hitter who doesn't walk much and has no power.

The problem with good-hitting SS (a few exceptions) and Catchers is that when you boil it down, you are paying a pile of money and or compensation to the other team for what is, in effect, a .280 hitter, with little power (and you also pay a premium price in talent if you trade for such a player).

The Giants are in a weak division and believe that they can contend next year. And with Barry returning, they probably can. If they were holding a fire sale, I'd take him; but they aren't.

Brian26
08-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Can Omar Vizquel clear waivers through the other 28 teams before we had a chance to claim him? I think someone else would pick him up. His contact isn't so nuts that another team wouldn't claim him.

TheOldRoman
08-06-2005, 12:27 PM
When you think about it, Vizquel likely would clear waivers. I was saying for the last month that we should aquire Omar. Uribe is great for us, but Vizquel would be a huge improvement over him offensively. He would also allow Iguchi to be moved down in the order, where he wouldn't have to take pitches. It's no coincidence that Iguchi has been hitting .480 during Scotty's slump - he isn't taking the great pitches he normally does.
Vizquel can take pitches in the 2 spot and still hit close to .300. He would help this team, and allow Uribe to become the utilityman. Brian Sabean decided to buy instead of sell at the deadline, and while he is a moron, you can't blame him. The Giants are a horrible team in a horrible division, so they still have a chance. Hopefully the Padres catch fire and bury the Giants in the next month. If that happens, maybe they will move Vizquel, but I doubt it.

Frater Perdurabo
08-06-2005, 12:28 PM
There is no point in lamenting things past; there's no reason to knock the Sox for not making a splashy move because it's too late to do anything about it now that we've passed the July 31 deadline.

If the Giants can clear him through waivers, I'd love to add Vizquel to the Sox. Short of adding Pujols or Ramirez, this team's way on offense definitely is not via the long ball. They need to get more guys on base, steal bases and move runners around. Vizquel fits the bill perfectly.

Frater Perdurabo
08-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Any other bat that could help the Sox likely would be helpful to every other team. Think Aubrey Huff's getting through waivers? Think again.

With Frank gone and Carl questionable, I too think it would be a good idea to have Iguchi bat third with Pods leading off and Vizquel batting second. I also think it might not be a bad idea to get Rowand up near the top of the order, perhaps even batting cleanup. Rowand has proven he's pretty damn good with RISP, and he'd get plenty of RBI opportunities with Pods, Vizquel and Iguchi on base in front of him. Konerko then would have less pressure as the #5 hitter. A.J., Everett, Dye and Crede would follow. Uribe could spell Crede and Iguchi on occasion and Ozzie could "rest" everybody at DH to spell Carl on occasion.

DickAllen72
08-06-2005, 12:46 PM
If we could have gotten only one player (out of all the players rumored to be on the market) at the deadline, Vizquel would have been the best fit.

This team has no backup leadoff hitter and no backup number two hitter. If Pods slumps or God forbid either he or Iguchi goes down, the Sox offense is in big trouble.

Vizquel starting at SS would have given the Sox a .300 hitter in the lineup who could steal bases, play smart baseball, and most importantly has playoff experience.

Uribe as the super sub would have given the Sox excellent depth on the bench. He'd still start games at SS as well as 2B and 3B each week, keeping everyone fresh.

If there is any way they can still acquire him through waivers (which I doubt), KW should jump all over it.

mdep524
08-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Any other bat that could help the Sox likely would be helpful to every other team. Think Aubrey Huff's getting through waivers? Think again. Aubrey Huff and Omar Vizquel are too totally different situations. Huff is a young possible star on the rise, any team would love his services for years to come. The only teams that would even be remotely interested in Vizquel are 2005 contenders. The demand for a SS is pretty low, IMO. As I saud earlier, the Yankees, Red Sox, A's, Angels, Cardinals, Braves and Dodgers have long-term shortstop solutions. So who would bite on this 38 year old? The Nationals? I can't think of any other team making a playoff push this year.

With Frank gone and Carl questionable, I too think it would be a good idea to have Iguchi bat third with Pods leading off and Vizquel batting second. I also think it might not be a bad idea to get Rowand up near the top of the order, perhaps even batting cleanup. Rowand has proven he's pretty damn good with RISP, and he'd get plenty of RBI opportunities with Pods, Vizquel and Iguchi on base in front of him. Konerko then would have less pressure as the #5 hitter. A.J., Everett, Dye and Crede would follow. Uribe could spell Crede and Iguchi on occasion and Ozzie could "rest" everybody at DH to spell Carl on occasion.It'd be nice. :smile: