PDA

View Full Version : my closest Sox encounter

my5thbench
08-06-2005, 09:51 AM
as a n/central Indiana fan my trips to Comiskey have always been big events,
going to dblheaders when possible for an all day affair.

During the '60's my Dad sold Pabst Blue Ribbon throughout our great state,
in Angola he became acquainted with the owner of the Redwood Inn bar &
restaurant,(Jim Rivera, former Sox outfielder) it was a bit of a resort town with swimming boating & tobbagon
runs in the winter. Rivera & Dad became fast friends & he often visited our
cottage on Pretty Lake near here in the '70's. We played euchre & drank beer & shared our Sox memories with Jim, some of Dad's memories went back
to the '30's.

The country club on that lake had an LPGA tourney for a few years & Dad
entered Jungle Jim in the pro am as a celebrity, it was a small tourney & celebraties were mostly limited to Big Ten coaches etc. Jim was paired with a cute blond rookie & they shared a cart. She was wearing a new
white blouse & Jim was chewing tobacco & spitting constantly. Soon she
became annoyed to notice that there were tobacco stains all over her
clean white top.

On or about the 18th green while the group prepared to putt, Jungle Jim
removed the chew from his mouth & covered the young lady's ball with it.
As she adressed her ball to putt she nearly lost her lunch & we rudely died
laughing.

I previously posted this at White Sox.com to those of you who have read it
there my apologies for being a bore through duplication

Nellie_Fox
08-07-2005, 02:11 AM
Actually, I kind of wish you hadn't posted this. I hate people who get amusement at the expense of others. Treating someone who has done nothing to deserve it with disrespect is not funny.

bobwsx
08-07-2005, 06:45 AM
Actually, I kind of wish you hadn't posted this. I hate people who get amusement at the expense of others. Treating someone who has done nothing to deserve it with disrespect is not funny. Geez some people are soooooo damn sensitive....IT WAS A JOKE...THEY WHERE HAVING FUN WITH HER!!!!!!!Remove the stick from your:booty:

Craig Grebeck
08-07-2005, 10:05 AM
My main problem with this is not the way she was treated...it's that it just isn't that funny

But i'm not 13, so there you go...

Heffalump
08-07-2005, 10:24 AM
My main problem with this is not the way she was treated...it's that it just isn't that funny

But i'm not 13, so there you go...

I second that.

Jerko
08-07-2005, 10:30 AM
http://www.trimpe.org/jr/pictures/***-monkey.jpg

Nellie_Fox
08-08-2005, 01:44 AM
Geez some people are soooooo damn sensitive....IT WAS A JOKE...THEY WHERE HAVING FUN WITH HER!!!!!!!Remove the stick from yourNo, the weren't having fun with her. "With" indicates that she was having fun as well. She clearly was not. They were having fun at her expense.

They were being bullies, and I hate bullies. Are you a bully, bobwsx?

thecell
08-08-2005, 09:08 AM
as a n/central Indiana fan my trips to Comiskey have always been big events,
going to dblheaders when possible for an all day affair.

During the '60's my Dad sold Pabst Blue Ribbon throughout our great state,
in Angola he became acquainted with the owner of the Redwood Inn bar &
restaurant,(Jim Rivera, former Sox outfielder) it was a bit of a resort town with swimming boating & tobbagon
runs in the winter. Rivera & Dad became fast friends & he often visited our
cottage on Pretty Lake near here in the '70's. We played euchre & drank beer & shared our Sox memories with Jim, some of Dad's memories went back
to the '30's.

The country club on that lake had an LPGA tourney for a few years & Dad
entered Jungle Jim in the pro am as a celebrity, it was a small tourney & celebraties were mostly limited to Big Ten coaches etc. Jim was paired with a cute blond rookie & they shared a cart. She was wearing a new
white blouse & Jim was chewing tobacco & spitting constantly. Soon she
became annoyed to notice that there were tobacco stains all over her
clean white top.

On or about the 18th green while the group prepared to putt, Jungle Jim
removed the chew from his mouth & covered the young lady's ball with it.
As she adressed her ball to putt she nearly lost her lunch & we rudely died
laughing.

I previously posted this at White Sox.com to those of you who have read it
there my apologies for being a bore through duplication

Great story. I have a cottage out in Angola.

Unfortunately, Jungle Jim was a bully. You both should attend finishing school so as not to offend anybody.

bobwsx
08-08-2005, 05:14 PM
No, the weren't having fun with her. "With" indicates that she was having fun as well. She clearly was not. They were having fun at her expense.

They were being bullies, and I hate bullies. Are you a bully, bobwsx?No I am not a bully!!!I didn't think the story was that funny.I also didn't think it was that big of a deal.I'm sure if we where there to witness it,we might have a different outlook.

MarySwiss
08-08-2005, 05:24 PM
No I am not a bully!!!I didn't think the story was that funny.I also didn't think it was that big of a deal.I'm sure if we where there to witness it,we might have a different outlook.

That big a deal for whom?

SpammySosa
08-08-2005, 05:26 PM
No I am not a bully!!!I didn't think the story was that funny.I also didn't think it was that big of a deal.I'm sure if we where there to witness it,we might have a different outlook.

Perhaps,but then try to picture this happening to someone important to you-sister,mother,wife,whatever.I think it is easy to see how it might not be so funny and is a big deal. I am certain that Jim Rivera didn't mean anything malicious by it,as I have the utmost respect for him based on my own experiences as well as others.