PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* "Jenks want muffins" Postgame thread

GregoryEtc
08-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Ugly.

BJ looked good though.

CanBuehrleWait
08-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Does anybody think he could develop a slider or cutter to go with that gas and nasty curve? If Loiaza could maybe he could too.. he'd be outrageous.

oeo
08-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Homerun or nothing.

:chunks

SOXSINCE'70
08-05-2005, 09:49 PM
I'M NOT PANICKING,but can this team please win 2 games in a row
at home the way they used to in April,May,June and July soon????:(:

Just asking.

LongLiveFisk
Another egg laid in front of a large home crowd. :angry:

Come on guys, regroup and get them tomorrow!

Tragg
Pitching's been there all week; the hitting's just awful.
For the next month, our schedule's tough; the Tribe has an easy schedule. WE played a pretty easy schedule the last 18 games, going 9-9. We need to step it up an maintain double digits.
The pitching should serve us well.

soxjim
Another sleep walk effort at home.

OzzieBall2005
08-05-2005, 09:50 PM
It was another game played by the 2004 White Sox recently. Jenks' curveball defies physics. I am happy we got an enormous lead, cuz I'm not sweating anything. They'll get things back on track soon enough.

itsnotrequired
08-05-2005, 09:50 PM
This loss wasn't as "bad" as recent losses. Seattle had good pitching and the Sox didn't commit any errors. A couple rally killing double plays didn't help the Sox cause.

I'm more disappointed that another large home crowd gets a Sox loss. 3-7 over the last 10 and 4-13 going back to the Oakland sweep. Ugh. In the big scheme of things, the loss doesn't mean much but I sure would like to see a few more wins for the home crowd.

SOXSINCE'70
08-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Homerun or nothing.

:chunks

Agreed.Whatever happened to "Smart Ball"??
Swinging for the fences is great,when there's 2 runners aboard
with no outs.Swinging for fences with bases empty and 2 outs
is fruitless.Even baseball mediot Tim McGarver could figure that out.:angry:

NSSoxFan
08-05-2005, 09:52 PM
It doesn't seem like our hitters are going up there with the intent to string together some base hits. Instead they look like they are pressing to hit the ball out of the park. It is starting to become frustrating that we can't seem to win consistently at home post-ASG. I hope we come out tomorrow, hopefully give Podsednik a seat against Moyer, and change our approach. With Mark and Jon going the next two days it would be ideal to see two straight victories heading into our East coast trip.

Go get 'em tomorrow.

RadioheadRocks
They just need to go back to playing Smart Ball again, instead of living and dying by the HR ball.

tschneid83
well.... that was not good

out hit them 8 to 7 but could not get anything going....

Fake Chet Lemon
08-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Home Sell Out = White Sox Loss

Home Sell Out = No Smart Ball, But Guys Swinging For The Fences

Round 1 Playoffs + Home Sell Out + Oakland A's = ???????????

Georgey3085
I know home runs get points faster, but the Sox can't win in the playoffs if they swing for the fences all the time. I really hope that Ozzie and Walker get these guys heads out thier butts and they start getting singles and walks and everything else. Thats more important, thats how we won in Baltimore, COME ON GUYS! :(:

itsnotrequired
Pitching's been there all week; the hitting's just awful.
For the next month, our schedule's tough; the Tribe has an easy schedule. WE played a pretty easy schedule the last 18 games, going 9-9. We need to step it up an maintain double digits.
The pitching should serve us well.

Sox have been hitting well (near .300 as a team over the last week) but just aren't getting the clutch hits like earlier in the season. Pitching is decent but like the hitting, isn't clutch.

soxwon
08-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Chicago- we have a problem, this is ugly.

NSSoxFan
08-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Chicago- we have a problem, this is ugly.

If this is ugly, and we still have a 13 game lead...I'll take it.

Dan H
08-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Like oeo said, home run or nothing. That is how it has been the last few games. And in this game it was even worse since both homers were solo shots. The Sox have to get back to some clutch hitting. The piling up of homers and losing is what they did last year. Hope tomorrow starts the end of the slump. They are not even losing to contenders here. Brutal game. Garcia also needs to get rolling again. He has not been good the last three or four starts.

samram
08-05-2005, 09:56 PM
They just need to go back to playing Smart Ball again, instead of living and dying by the HR ball.

Well, unfortunately the Smart Ball igniter can't get on base right now.

FarWestChicago
08-05-2005, 09:57 PM

Round 1 Playoffs + Home Sell Out + Oakland A's = ???????????You have been quite the stalwart Dark Cloud for a while. Sure, you pale in comparison to Lip, but he is the master. You defintely deserve serious depressive kudos. :thumbsup:

oeo
08-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Well, unfortunately the Smart Ball igniter can't get on base right now.

Yep, if Pods doesn't get on base, nothing happens. We NEED him out of this slump, and I definately hope a slump like this does not happen to him in the postseason.

Bisco Stu
08-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Suddenly, I don't want homefield.

Just kidding. Just like I'm not fearful of the Sox playing the A's in the ALDS, I'm not afraid of this "homefield jinx" (Sox are 0-7 at home in the postseason since 1960, meaning they've never won a postseason game at USCF).

But the flat play at home vs. the superlative road play has me wondering what is and what is not an advantage...

soxwon
08-05-2005, 10:00 PM
If this is ugly, and we still have a 13 game lead...I'll take it.

im just saying, its obvious we are NOT playing well recently.
We dont have the enthusiasm lately.
and the way the indians are playing, with an easy schedule.
If we dont get our stuff together quickly, it MIGHT be a race.

we need to win the next 2 games going into NY.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Even when Frank wasn't hitting for average, he was good for 3 or 4 walks every two games. That activity was important and we will continue to miss him A LOT.

The teams historically that succeed and make the playoffs like Oakland and the Yankees are all second half teams. The Sox are always a first half team. We still have plenty of time to become a second half team. It would be nice to start becoming that team while playing some bums like the Mariners.

RallyBowl
08-05-2005, 10:01 PM

Round 1 Playoffs + Home Sell Out + Oakland A's = ???????????

Interesting, and I understand what you mean. But come on. Really. This team is better than that. I cant wait to see what these threads look like if we lose 1 or 2 games in the ALDS or WS. Optimistic? Maybe. Crazy? No.

Jenks wants muffins? You sir, are the man.

On nights like tonight, I wonder, "How'd the scrubs do today?". Appreciate this team. They are very good. They will pick it up.

NSSoxFan
08-05-2005, 10:02 PM

:roflmao:

Fake Chet Lemon
08-05-2005, 10:05 PM
You have been quite the stalwart Dark Cloud for a while. Sure, you pale in comparison to Lip, but he is the master. You defintely deserve serious depressive kudos. :thumbsup:

I pride myself on trying to be objective. If there is something factually incorrect in any of my posts, I would encourage someone to point out where I am wrong. I challenge anyone. Then again, I was at the Jerry Dybzinski game in 1983. I haven't been the same ever since.

FarWestChicago
08-05-2005, 10:09 PM
I pride myself on trying to be objective. If there is something factually incorrect in any of my posts, I would encourage someone to point out where I am wrong. I challenge anyone. Then again, I was at the Jerry Dybzinski game in 1983. I haven't been the same ever since.Well, you've been one upped anyway. I can almost see the "we're doomed in the playoffs" thing after a crappy game/streak like right now. Sure, it's a stretch and a bit of precognitive arrogance, but what the heck, it's something you can visualize if you let the gloom wash over you. But, now we have a guy with must win games NOW or the Jndjans are going to knock us out of the playoffs? :redneck :rolling:

NSSoxFan
08-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Well, you've been one upped anyway. I can almost see the "we're doomed in the playoffs" thing after a crappy game/streak like right now. Sure, it's a stretch and a bit of a precognitive arrogance, but what the heck, it's something you can visualize if you let the gloom wash over you. But, now we have a guy with must win games NOW or the Jndjans are going to knock us out of the playoffs? :redneck :rolling:

It's quite sad that the prospect of winning 100 games has a lot of fans dilusional as hell. That is seriously the only thing I can think of as to why there are still dark clouds that roll in.

BanditJimmy
08-05-2005, 10:14 PM
When you look in that bench and your healthy options are Ozuna, Perez, & Widger.... I don't see many teams being able to pull off games late with that core.

Although teams were looking to rape Kenny at the deadline, I think the team's stubbornness of not wanting to trade away McCarthy for another stick can end up proving costly even if Everett does come back healthy soon. Everett is much more a role player than an everyday DH in the three hole.

Damn we are going to miss big Frank.

Kenny better make damn sure he is working that waiver wire, still a long shot with the best record in baseball.

AJPosguchi
08-05-2005, 10:14 PM
As long as we continue to get solid starting pitching, we'll at least play .500 ball; even if we continue the "timely hitting" slump we are in.

pczarapa
08-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Another egg laid in front of a large home crowd. :angry:

Come on guys, regroup and get them tomorrow!

Man, I think that's 10 of the last 14 they've dropped at home, this sucks.

chisox83
08-05-2005, 10:24 PM
smart ball is dead.

fquaye149
08-05-2005, 10:26 PM
look - the players probably have a long list of things to do during the offseason

can't we just turn down the chance for post season play so our guys can get their chores done?

i mean, after all...

RallyBowl
08-05-2005, 10:26 PM
smart ball is dead.

8 Posts, huh?

Fake Chet Lemon
08-05-2005, 10:28 PM
It's quite sad that the prospect of winning 100 games has a lot of fans dilusional as hell. That is seriously the only thing I can think of as to why there are still dark clouds that roll in.

That's not what has fans worried. It's history. A those that don't learn from it are doomed to repeat kind of thing.

1983- We had the AL's best regular season record. I popped my mouth off to all my Cub fan relatives. We got smoked in round one and I got pounded.

2000- We had the AL's best regular season record. I popped my mouth off to all my Cub fan relatives. We got smoked in round one and I got pounded.

2005- We may have the AL's best regular season record. I've popped my mouth off to all my Cub fan relatives. My Cub fans relatives are smiling and waiting to pounce right now........believe me, I'm praying this team storms through the playoffs. But historical perspective and recent trends have me a little nervous, that's all.

FarWestChicago
08-05-2005, 10:30 PM
It's history. A those that don't learn from it are doomed to repeat kind of thing.I'm not sure how this applies since you aren't on the team and can't do anything about what happens to the Sox. :?:

BanditJimmy
08-05-2005, 10:32 PM
That's not what has fans worried. It's history. A those that don't learn from it are doomed to repeat kind of thing.

1983- We had the AL's best regular season record. I popped my mouth off to all my Cub fan relatives. We got smoked in round one and I got pounded.

2000- We had the AL's best regular season record. I popped my mouth off to all my Cub fan relatives. We got smoked in round one and I got pounded.

2005- We may have the AL's best regular season record. I've popped my mouth off to all my Cub fan relatives. My Cub fans relatives are smiling and waiting to pounce right now........believe me, I'm praying this team storms through the playoffs. But historical perspective and recent trends have me a little nervous, that's all.

Suggestion:

Stop popping your mouth.

We have a good team but there is still a lot to work on if we indeed are going to make a statement in the play-offs. Every loss shows how severe some of our offensive flaws are.

RallyBowl
08-05-2005, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure how this applies since you aren't on the team and can't do anything about what happens to the Sox. :?:

No kidding. What will all the complaining and worrying and predicting do? Nothing. Hey, don't look now fellas, we are probably going to lose a few more games this season. Weak stomachs, you all have.

Viva Medias B's
08-05-2005, 10:39 PM
I am comfortable with the double digit lead we have in the division, but I am tired of seeing flatness at home.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-05-2005, 10:41 PM
What did everyone think of the batting order without Everett tonight? With Podsednik slumping, and Everett out a few days I'd love to experiment with Iguchi. Drop him into an RBI slot. Instead of worrying about giving up an at bat, let's unleash him for a couple-three days and see what happens. The guy can hit! It may hurt our efforts to revive smart ball, that's a concern. But with Pods slumping anyway a few doubles by Iguchi from the 5 hole may help this offense out until Carl gets back. Then back to #2 when Carl gets back.

ktsmith
08-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Since Oakland came in and swept up the cell, this Sox team hasn't been the enjoyment it once was. The home record is abysmal, I don't see any energy to comeback and win a game like earlier in the season. During the last two home losses, the bottom of the 9th has been 3 and out. I like to stay positive, but this team, which started out incredibly good, has looked no better than a division contender in the National League West. Hopefully, they will turn it around, but I don't see signs of that now. By the way, since Kenny Williams cancelled the Gong Show at U.S. Cellular and did away with Shingo, we've sucked at home. But of course, most of you brilliant posters on this site will never even think twice about it. You don't even have a sense of recent White Sox history.

FarWestChicago
08-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Since Oakland came in and swept up the cell, this Sox team hasn't been the enjoyment it once was. The home record is abysmal, I don't see any energy to comeback and win a game like earlier in the season. During the last two home losses, the bottom of the 9th has been 3 and out. I like to stay positive, but this team, which started out incredibly good, has looked no better than a division contender in the National League West. Hopefully, they will turn it around, but I don't see signs of that now. By the way, since Kenny Williams cancelled the Gong Show at U.S. Cellular and did away with Shingo, we've sucked at home. But of course, most of you brilliant posters on this site will never even think twice about it. You don't even have a sense of recent White Sox history.:therapy:

You are the Official Deep End Winner of the night! :cool:

duke of dorwood
08-05-2005, 10:48 PM
1.Pods
2. Uribe
3. Tadahito
4. AJ
5 Konerko
6.Dye
7 Rowand
8.DH
9. Crede

OzzieBall2005
08-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Best part of the night: Joe Crede got his mind right and shaved off those chops. Saw it on COmcast Sports Net after the game.

ktsmith
08-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Suggestion:

Stop popping your mouth.

We have a good team but there is still a lot to work on if we indeed are going to make a statement in the play-offs. Every loss shows how severe some of our offensive flaws are.

If this team wanted to make a statement, they would be on pace to win 115 games. They had the chance to have that good of a season, but now, with this home vacation crap, the A's will probably be on their heels for best record by next week. Also, it just goes with the territory; if you start out great and then play flat, your going to be criticized. No team is perfect, but good teams keep winning, while teams that started great become a fluke if they don't

Nard
08-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Great game guys.

So who was that hottie next to that granny in the suite?

Corlose 15
08-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Why is it anytime someone posts something remotely negative when the Sox are playing like crap, its immediately dismissed as a irrational "Dark Cloud"?

This team has been mediocre since the All Star Break and its getting old. Time for Ozzie to give them a swift kick in the rear. The 2000 team had a great first half only to have a mediocre second half leading to a first round sweep. Lets hope this team gets it turned around and has some momentum going into the playoffs.

FarWestChicago
If this team wanted to make a statement, they would be on pace to win 115 games. They had the chance to have that good of a season, but now, with this home vacation crap, the A's will probably be on their heels for best record by next week. Also, it just goes with the territory; if you start out great and then play flat, your going to be criticized. No team is perfect, but good teams keep winning, while teams that started great become a fluke if they don'tUmmm, you didn't hide the fact you are an A's troll very well. See you later :tsk:

NSSoxFan
If this team wanted to make a statement, they would be on pace to win 115 games. They had the chance to have that good of a season, but now, with this home vacation crap, the A's will probably be on their heels for best record by next week. Also, it just goes with the territory; if you start out great and then play flat, your going to be criticized. No team is perfect, but good teams keep winning, while teams that started great become a fluke if they don't

Yea, the 2001 World Champion Seattle Mariners come to mind.

:rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
08-05-2005, 10:56 PM
From the White Sox web site:

"the South Siders slipped to 5-6 when the stadium is full. They also have lost three straight sellouts and four of their last five."

Now 17-16 at home since June 1st.

But hey they hit two more home runs right?

Lip

NSSoxFan
08-05-2005, 10:57 PM

"the South Siders slipped to 5-6 when the stadium is full. They also have lost three straight sellouts and four of their last five."

Lip

The King of The Clouds has arrived.

FarWestChicago
08-05-2005, 10:57 PM

LipVery weak, Lip. Your disciples are kicking your butt tonight. Try again.

Lip Man 1
08-05-2005, 10:59 PM
NS:

Just calling it like I see it. The 'small ball' approach has disappeared. Perhaps you would enlighten us with the answer as to why it has.

Meanwhile this may be interesting to you from the Tribune recap:

"Pineiro (4-7), with just one win in his previous 16 starts,"

Have an enjoyable night.

Lip

Lip Man 1
08-05-2005, 11:00 PM
West:

Like you I'm restraining myself, I'd hate to get 'banned' by you just as the team is hitting the home stretch. I mean after all this is your web site right?

Lip

FarWestChicago
08-05-2005, 11:02 PM
West:

Like you I'm restraining myself, I'd hate to get 'banned' by you just as the team is hitting the home stretch. I mean after all this is your web site right?

LipLOL!! Lip, you and restraint have never belonged in the same sentence. Keep freaking out. I'm sure it will produce a lot of good. :cool:

chisox83
08-05-2005, 11:05 PM
NS:

Meanwhile this may be interesting to you from the Tribune recap:

"Pineiro (4-7), with just one win in his previous 16 starts,"

Have an enjoyable night.

Lip

Actually, this is my fault since I finally dropped Pineiro from my fantasy team this week. Figures.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-05-2005, 11:05 PM
By the way, since Kenny Williams cancelled the Gong Show at U.S. Cellular and did away with Shingo, we've sucked at home. But of course, most of you brilliant posters on this site will never even think twice about it. You don't even have a sense of recent White Sox history.

Enough with your Shingo posts. L-E T I-T G-O! Or are you just trolling?

FarWestChicago
08-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Enough with your Shingo posts. L-E T I-T G-O! Or are you just trolling?I thought he was an A's troll. :?:

Brian26
08-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Just rolled in from the game. Had an enjoyable time and had the opportunity to meet Mr. and Mrs. Aloha, who are 100% class.

Some observations:

I'm not sold on Blum at all. I know we don't have many other options with Carl down, but I just have a feeling Blum isn't going to produce at all, and Ozzie seems to be using him all the time now. I don't know what the answer is, but I just hate picking up a .245 hitter at the break and immediately sticking him in the lineup every day or every other day. He ended an inning twice tonight (2nd and 4th) with men on base.

Other thing I hate is that Freddy seems to just slow up his pace way too much sometimes, and I think he loses some batters that way. I just wish he'd pitch a little bit faster...think it would help him keep him more in the game. Really he pitched a pretty decent game. He got out of some jams.

Did anyone catch the Uribe fake-out on Betancourt in the 7th on Snelling's double? It's the same thing he did to the Cubs...kept Betancourt from scoring on the play.

infohawk
08-05-2005, 11:21 PM
I took a look at some pre- and post-all star break numbers out of curiosity. I'm not going to bore anyone with them, but they were interesting on two fronts.

First of all, the Sox post-break offense is actually out-performing the pre-break offense with regard to average and .OBP. Six of the nine regulars are vastly improved. The three that are under-performing are Uribe, Crazy Carl and, as pointed out over the past several days by many on this board, Scotty. Obviously, Scotty is slumping and the sooner he breaks out the better off we will be.

Secondly, 4/5 of the starting rotation is pitching worse then they did before the break. The two biggest culprits are Buerhle (ERA 1.80 higher) and Freddy (ERA 1.29 higher). The ERAs for Garland and Contreras are marginally higher, and El Duque actually has a lower ERA than before the break. Overall, the starters are still performing well, but prior to the break they were "scary" good as a whole. Most of the relievers have actually improved except for Marte (I'm sure everyone's shocked!).

The good news is that, generally speaking, the offense and bullpen have picked up some of the slack for the starters slight dip in absolute dominance. Without the increased production, the Sox might have lost a few more one and two-run ballgames. No doubt that what seems like the team is flat or lethargic is due to Scotty's struggles. He has been abysmal over the last several games. Scott provides a lot of the energy to this team. He's the "straw that stirs the drink." Small-ball begins at the top of the order. It's hard for Iguchi to play small-ball and get a guy over when nobody is on base in front of him. (I might mention that, unshackled from focusing on moving runners over, Tadihito has seen his post-break average and .OBP skyrocket. This guy is good!) It's also hard for the middle of the order hitters to focus on getting a base-hit to drive in a runner on second or third when there's nobody on the bases. Maybe it's not a coincidence that Crazy Carl's numbers have dropped along with Scott's. For this team, it's all about focusing on the task at hand.

All I know is that I'm glad that "struggling" for this team means playing only slightly better than .500 ball. They don't go into tailspins like the 2001-2004 versions. I have no doubt that they'll get their mojo back! Regardless, they entered the break 9.5 games up. They are now 13 games up and haven't even been playing their best ball.

mdep524
08-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Hey all, just got back from tonight's game. I would've been back sooner but I had to travel all the way back from 2004 to my house. :redneck Not much intensity out there tonight. Maybe they're looking ahead to the NYY/Bos/Min series? Oh well, it'd be nice to see a little execution out there on offense.

Brian26
08-05-2005, 11:26 PM
All I know is that I'm glad that "struggling" for this team means playing only slightly better than .500 ball. They don't go into tailspins like the 2001-2004 versions. I have no doubt that they'll get their mojo back! Regardless, they entered the break 9.5 games up. They are now 13 games up and haven't even been playing their best ball.

Let's be honest- this team is not going to and was never going to play .700 ball all year. The season is a 162-game marathon. At some point, we were going to hit a little down period. The greatest of the great teams can't win all of their games. We still could go .500 for the rest of the year and be close to 100 wins. There's nothing to be worried about right now.

balke
08-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Lip: If the Sox come back and win the series after this, will you shut your trap for a couple weeks? You have something negative to say every week. We have the best record in baseball, and the A's are fighting for a wild card spot. Who has the better chance of making the playoffs? Nice dig up for sellout crowds, you never cease to find the dark cloud stat. Its our fault for them losing games, Sox fans: PLEASE STOP GOING TO GAMES, ATTENDANCE IS HURTING OUR PRECIOUS RECORD! The last thing we want is to have to live with a mere 100 win record this season. And what does it mean if the A's get 101? :redneck

KT: What goes up must come down. Congrats to the A's on getting hot. A lot of good being the hottest team in baseball did for the Astros last season. And, how many times have the A's done this and completely CHOKED in the playoffs, or like last year, choked just before the playoffs. P.S. Shingo sucks this season. We don't need a gong to win, that sounds like Cub fan theory.

A couple Sox did their job today as far as not swinging for the fences, and Pods got on base. What killed was a GIDP from our man in the 3-hole I believe.

I'm ready for Gload to come back already, I'm fine with Ozuna at 3rd, and Gload at 1st. I'm about 2 weeks of average Defense and horrible batting from clammoring for Willie back. Sexson has been on fire for a month and a half, no surprise he killed us.

Sox can still play .700 ball. Sox fans are just spoiled and disregard sweeping the O's in 4 as "Luck" and think losing 2 of 3 to Toronto or KC means we are going to lose out. Sox are down a bit, but if they win 10 of 12 real quick, and start streaking, suddenly they are back to .700. Hard to do? Yes. Have they done it this season? Yes.

Go Sox, But watch out! The Cardinals are coming for the record!!! NOOOOOoooooooooo!

infohawk
08-05-2005, 11:45 PM

We are not playing well, but are 13-9 since the break. The Indians are 11-11 since the break. Eleven of those 22 games have been against the Mariners and Royals. Three were against a Yankee team whose pitching staff is in crisis. Besides the four they played against us and the three they played against Oakland, they have had a favorable schedule. They needed to do better than .500. The Tribe would need to get red-hot and hope for a White Sox collapse to even think about winning the division. If the Sox played .500 the rest of the way they would have about 97 wins. That's tough to overcome, especially considering the sox are playing slightly better than .500 even while "struggling."

SoxSpeed22
08-05-2005, 11:47 PM
It's obvious Ozzie must do something to prevent letdown before startin' the ESPN road trip.

Brian26
08-05-2005, 11:47 PM
The Tribe would need to get red-hot and hope for a White Sox collapse to even think about winning the division.

This isn't even worth discussing. Nobody is going to make up a double-digit lead this late in the season.

fquaye149
08-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Just rolled in from the game. Had an enjoyable time and had the opportunity to meet Mr. and Mrs. Aloha, who are 100% class.

Some observations:

I'm not sold on Blum at all. I know we don't have many other options with Carl down, but I just have a feeling Blum isn't going to produce at all, and Ozzie seems to be using him all the time now. I don't know what the answer is, but I just hate picking up a .245 hitter at the break and immediately sticking him in the lineup every day or every other day. He ended an inning twice tonight (2nd and 4th) with men on base.

Other thing I hate is that Freddy seems to just slow up his pace way too much sometimes, and I think he loses some batters that way. I just wish he'd pitch a little bit faster...think it would help him keep him more in the game. Really he pitched a pretty decent game. He got out of some jams.

Did anyone catch the Uribe fake-out on Betancourt in the 7th on Snelling's double? It's the same thing he did to the Cubs...kept Betancourt from scoring on the play.

man i like uribe. He is definitely below average with the bat...but ****. he plays the field like no other. With him and Crede, I don't know if we've had a left side of the IF like that since Ozzie Ventura. Hell, I don't know if he've had and IF like this since Ozzie Ventura Cora

ChiSoxGirl
08-06-2005, 12:02 AM

I caught that move Uribe pulled on Betancourt right away and was humored that he totally fell for it! :redneck

I'm pissed off at this game. My uncle is here from SoCal and hadn't been to the ballpark since 1992. I got my hands on seats in Sec. 120, Row 17 weeks ago, and just wanted everything to be awesome for his return to Sox Park. While he enjoyed seeing all of the renovations in person, as opposed to on ESPN, WGN and the like, he was as pissed as I am at the outcome.

As Pods goes, so go the White Sox; and right now, Pods is batting like .100 in the last week to ten days. It's deja vu with them sitting around waiting for the homerun ball, and that's not how this team is built. Pierzynski keeps setting personal bests in the homerun column each time he jacks one, as he did in the 4th. It was very nice to see ARow get a hold of one early on; he seems to be heating up.

Anyone notice that it seems like as soon as Garcia reaches the 100 pitch count, he crumbles? It happened in the day game against Detroit a couple weeks ago and it happened tonight. He reached 100 early in the 6th inning I believe it was, and the go-ahead and insurance runs were surrendered in the 6th & 7th innings. And as soon as someone figures out why he can't win at home, please let us know!

It's disheartening to go to a sold out ballpark and see yet another loss. As my signature highlights, I'm a disappointing 6-7 on the season and falling fast. I so want playoff tickets, but I'm beginning to think I better stay the hell away from the ballpark in October! I haven't seen a win since July 5! :whiner:

Sidenote: Saw a very well-dressed Brooks Boyer in the Gift Shop on the 100 level. He was shopping with a blonde woman in her late 20s/early 30s.... Had I thought about it, I would've given the man in-person props for the whole "Core of the Core Night next month!"

Dan H
08-06-2005, 08:37 AM
There is no need for panic, but I am concerned. But the bottom line on this series is this: Seattle is a last placed team. The White Sox are in first and playing at home. Slump or no slump, the first place team should win this series. That is what real contenders do.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-06-2005, 08:42 AM
It's too bad October is still 8 weeks away. The Sox don't figure to play another meaningful game until then. Did anyone get hurt in last night's game? No... good. Mission accomplished. I'll save my fretting for games that matter, thank you very much.
:cool:

Why don't some of you go watch a Bears "preseason game." * Those are always harbingers of what will happen when the real games start, too.

* "preseason" = NFL code name for meaningless exhibition

kitekrazy
08-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Agreed.Whatever happened to "Smart Ball"??
Swinging for the fences is great,when there's 2 runners aboard
with no outs.Swinging for fences with bases empty and 2 outs
is fruitless.Even baseball mediot Tim McGarver could figure that out.:angry:

Interesting how that has disappeared. When your lead off hitter isn't getting on base hurts as well.
I've seen a lot less working the count lately.

kitekrazy
08-06-2005, 09:43 AM
It's too bad October is still 8 weeks away. The Sox don't figure to play another meaningful game until then. Did anyone get hurt in last night's game? No... good. Mission accomplished. I'll save my fretting for games that matter, thank you very much.
:cool:

Why don't some of you go watch a Bears "preseason game." * Those are always harbingers of what will happen when the real games start, too.

* "preseason" = NFL code name for meaningless exhibition

It's taken to get to the midseason to actually have a rough spell. Minnestoa hasn't exactly cashed in on those opportunites either. Seems like the Sox and Twins switched roles.

alohafri
08-06-2005, 09:55 AM
Another sleep walk effort at home.

The return of Team Drudgery.

alohafri
08-06-2005, 09:57 AM

Thanks Brian! You and your Mrs. ain't so bad yourselves!!

nedlug
08-06-2005, 12:09 PM
I hope (and think) that the Smartball club will show up in the playoffs. I think that Ozzie will have the team rested and ready for the big show.

However, I am very worried about the '04 version which is currently creeping into the team's mindset every once in a while this year.

I know we'll more than likely win 100 games this year, and almost certainly get into the playoffs... but that doesn't mean that this team is without fault.

If the Smartball mantra shines through in the playoffs, there's not a whole bunch that can stop this team. If the try-and-hit-the-longball team shows up, that would most likely an early exit from the playoffs.

I believe that the team will be a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs, but, being a Sox fan, I do worry about the wrong version showing up when it really counts.

balke
08-06-2005, 12:16 PM
I think the team is aware HR's aren't going to do it alone. They had some things going yesterday, and swung for the fences less. It just happened that they hit 2 hr's, I wasn't complaining at the time. They need to execute better though. Other teams know they need to keep Pods off base, and that Iguchi is very versatile. Rowand needs to step up with some of those gapper singles with runners on like he did last week. I believe he hit into the big double play yesterday.

hawkjt
08-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Yes,Pods is in a slump but I really do not think we are all that differant lately. As a poster indicated the pitching is down slightly and that is the diff in one run victories that we were winning by the boatload early on.

If gooch's liner is not caught by sexson we tie this game. And probably win. The other nite if we get the two guys over and in we win vs the jays instead of a one run loss. This is the tightrope this team plays on all year and the margin of error is hair thin.

No worries - rather have pods hot later on. BB is a game of streaks. Save ours for october.

sthbndsox
08-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Great game guys.

So who was that hottie next to that granny in the suite?

i saw that too... mercy.