PDA

View Full Version : Rangers sign Van Poppel

Jerry_Manuel
11-26-2001, 09:59 PM
Saw it on the local news, haven't seen an AP story on it yet. Todd Van Poppel the guy who pitched for the Cubs last year.

FarWestChicago
11-26-2001, 10:01 PM
The Skanks offered the Lumbering Ox something like $119 million for 7 years. They want an answer by Wednesday.

OfficerKarkovice
11-26-2001, 10:01 PM
Free Agent roundup: Van Poppel signs with Rangers

By Jim Molony
MLB.com

Rangers sign Cubs' Van Poppel

A free agent finally signed, but it wasn't Jason Giambi. As the New York Yankees continued to be the apparent frontrunners in the Giambi chase, right-hander Todd Van Poppel became the first of 155 free agents to sign after agreeing to a three-year, $7.5 million contract with the Texas Rangers.

"This is a perfect fit for me and my family," said Van Poppel, an Arlington native who lives in the Dallas area. "The last time I was here, it was situation where I was trying to get back to the big leagues, I was coming off of surgery, and I wasn't 100 percent healthy. But right now, I feel great. I feel very healthy. I feel like where I am at in my career, I can get people out, be very successful and help a team. Now I can stay at home, take care of my kids, put them through school and everything like that and not have to worry about too much. We are very happy to be here."

Van Poppel was with the Rangers briefly during the 1998 season. He has a 30-43 career record with a 5.50 ERA.

The 29-year-old will rejoin pitching coach Oscar Acosta, who was hired by the Rangers earlier this month. Acosta was the Cubs pitching coach for two seasons until he was forced to resign in October because of a conflict with manager Don Baylor.

"Oscar is a great individual and that's one of the reasons I gave it serious thought and decided to come here because of Oscar," Van Poppel said. "I had my two best years under him."

Van Poppel, who turns 30 on Dec. 9, was 4-1 with a 2.52 ERA in 75 innings of relief for the Cubs in 2001 after going 4-5 with a 3.75 ERA for Chicago in 2000.

"Todd did a great job for us these past two seasons and we were definitely interested in bringing him back," Cubs assistant GM Jim Hendry said. "We knew that we had to bring back at least one of our free agent relievers back -- either he or (David) Weathers. I'm not really surprised that he wanted to go back home, and we are grateful for his efforts here and wish him all the best."

Van Poppel was 1-2 with a 8.84 ERA in 19 1/3 innings during his first stint with the Rangers in 1998.

He was drafted by the Oakland Athletics 14th overall in 1990 and made his Major League debut at the age of 19. He spent parts of five seasons with the Athletics before being claimed on waivers by the Detroit Tigers in 1996. He pitched for the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1998 before signing a Triple-A contract with Chicago in 1999.

Van Poppel, who made $850,000 in 2001, will be paid $2 million next season, $2.5 million in 2003 and $3 million in 2004. He can make up to $500,000 per year in performance bonuses based on appearances, getting the full amount if he has 65, and he can earn more if he becomes a closer, with bonuses based on games finished.

Jerry_Manuel
11-26-2001, 10:04 PM
Thanks Officer.

Jerry_Manuel
11-26-2001, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
The Skanks offered the Lumbering Ox something like $119 million for 7 years. They want an answer by Wednesday.

If he has a brain the answer will be yes.

LongDistanceFan
11-26-2001, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

If he has a brain the answer will be yes. who are the shanks?

van people to rangers........... might start print those world series tickets........

GASHWOUND
11-26-2001, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

Jeez, I wonder what he'll say.
Sigh.... :angry:

Jerry_Manuel
11-26-2001, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
who are the shanks?

Yankees.

RedPinStripes
11-26-2001, 11:36 PM
As of now, Vanpopple is the ace of Texas. The'll go after more pitching then anyone this winter. I don't think they'll go far in the west, but they are on the right track. Look out in a few years.

kermittheefrog
11-27-2001, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Saw it on the local news, haven't seen an AP story on it yet. Todd Van Poppel the guy who pitched for the Cubs last year.

Really, what's the point in assuring you have Todd Van Poppel around for three years? Definitely a spend money because we have it deal.