PDA

View Full Version : Is Pods burning out a little?

PatK
08-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Pods is in a slump, and doesn't look like he's having the same snap in his jump like he was a little earlier. He also seems to be getting to balls late in the field.

I'm starting to think he's getting a little tired. I think he shouldn't be running as much and should be saving some of his energy the next couple of weeks because we are really going to need him in the playoffs (provided we make it).

The Sox have a pretty good lead in the division, so I think not having him run all the time for a week or so could help him get his legs back.

What do you guys think?

oeo
08-05-2005, 01:36 PM
I think he needs to start getting on base again. Just having him on base sparks the lineup and we start playing fundamental baseball again. Just the threat of him stealing causes many things to happen and I'm hoping he breaks out of his slump so we can go back to the way we've been playing all year. Pods is the key to this team's success, IMO.

CHIsoxNation
08-05-2005, 01:36 PM
I don't believe he is getting tired. He said so in the paper that he thinks it's more just a mental lapse than anything else. Yesterday's caught steeling was mostly because he hesitated when running for whatever reason.

I'm all for him getting rest before the post season. I think when September rolls around we will have some of our young guys up to take over some of the outfield duties temporarily. Pods should have plenty of time to rest those little legs of his for the post season.

cleanwsox
08-05-2005, 01:37 PM
He got two straight games off in Baltimore. I don't know how much more you give him. I'm sure he will get plenty of rest once the Sox clinch but until then I say you keep putting him out there and have him get out of the slump by himself.

wdelaney72
08-05-2005, 01:37 PM
I think so. I'm all for resting him now.

PatK
08-05-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm not saying don't play him, just not have him stealing as much, especially if the Sox have a lead.

I know he says he isn't tired, but some of his mental lapses that he says he's having could be from the result of being tired.

thepaulbowski
08-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Hitters goes through slumps & funks so do basestealers. Maybe he's not getting the right read off the pitcher right now. He will find his groove again.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-05-2005, 02:06 PM
He's just in a slump. Let's not panic everytime someone goes into one. Speed doesn't slump as much as power nor for as long. If he is healthy, he'll be fine.

Cat Thief
08-05-2005, 02:38 PM
That base hit in the 7th yesterday will get him back on track. I looked at the wife and we both said "He's back" simultaneously, but then he got thrown out.

I'm thinking he will have a couple of hits tonight.

MsSoxVixen22
08-05-2005, 02:43 PM
I think he might be alittle bit tired. The past few games he got a couple hits that were pretty damn close to being home runs. He needs to rest his legs alittle bit and he'll be fine.

Chez
08-05-2005, 02:56 PM
With Everett out of the line-up, it's probably not a great time to rest Pods.

dickallen15
08-05-2005, 03:05 PM
White Sox fans are discovering what the Texas Rangers, Seattle Mariners and Milwaukee Brewers realized about Podsednik. The guy can steal you some bases, but other than that, he brings nothing to the table. He doesn't drive in any runs, he is very overrated as a fielder, and for as disruptive as he supposedly is when he's on the bases, he has scored fewer runs than Paul Konerko. He is not very good.

TornLabrum
08-05-2005, 03:07 PM
White Sox fans are discovering what the Texas Rangers, Seattle Mariners and Milwaukee Brewers realized about Podsednik. The guy can steal you some bases, but other than that, he brings nothing to the table. He doesn't drive in any runs, he is very overrated as a fielder, and for as disruptive as he supposedly is when he's on the bases, he has scored fewer runs than Paul Konerko. He is not very good.

http://www.john-daly.com/TwistedPhotos/albums/album14030305051414125528/cloud1.jpg

SSN721
08-05-2005, 03:13 PM

You're right, he has done nothing for the offense nor this team. He is complete dead weight.

Cat Thief
08-05-2005, 03:19 PM
He's kidding right?

dickallen15
08-05-2005, 03:24 PM
He's kidding right?

I'm not kidding.

nedlug
08-05-2005, 03:47 PM
While I'm not agreeing with dickallen, the whole "Pods as MVP" thoughts were a bit overboard. He is incredibly fast and his OBP is pretty good. He is a pure leadoff hitter, which the White Sox have not had for a while, and that is why he is extremely valuable to this team. Just look at this team - everyone is perfect for their role - Gooch in the 2 hole, paulie in the 4 hole, Uribe/Crede as the bottom-of-the-order power guys and great defenders... Pods fits in great with this team, but individually, he is not an absolute superstar.

I love Pods, BTW... you won't find any dark clouds around me...

nedlug
08-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Oh, and by the way - Paulie has 66 runs, with 25 homers and 15 2Bs. Pods, 2nd on the team with 58 runs, with 0 homers and 20 2Bs. He scores runs.

dickallen15
08-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Oh, and by the way - Paulie has 66 runs, with 25 homers and 15 2Bs. Pods, 2nd on the team with 58 runs, with 0 homers and 20 2Bs. He scores runs.
Pods is tied for 57th in MLB in runs scored. He has scored fewer runs than Julio Lugo. Considering he doesn't hit homers, wouldn't scoring runs be his game?

Fake Chet Lemon
08-05-2005, 04:14 PM

:chickenlittle

I live having a TEAM and not a collection of superstars that don't play well together. Pods fits in very nicely.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Pods is tied for 57th in MLB in runs scored. He has scored fewer runs than Julio Lugo. Considering he doesn't hit homers, wouldn't scoring runs be his game?

Was it his fault Paulie and Dye were hitting about .150 for two months and stranding him out there? Everett was down in the .230's before Frank returned and the competition made Carl turn it up a notch.

mterraza
08-05-2005, 04:25 PM
:o: You've got to be kiddn' me? Podsednik's one of the best lead off men in the game. He's doing what he's supposed to be doing as a lead-off man with speed and awareness. When he bats, he takes the pitches so the number 2 and 3 man can get an idea of how the pitcher is throwing that day. When he gets on base, he throws the pitcher's off by getting in their head about the steal. It's all the small things.

It's called small ball, grinder ball, ozzie ball, whatever and it's been working all year. Without him, we wouldn't never be near 70 wins at this point.:D:

MsSoxVixen22
08-05-2005, 04:31 PM
:o: You've got to be kiddn' me? Podsednik's one of the best lead off men in the game. He's doing what he's supposed to be doing as a lead-off man with speed and awareness. When he bats, he takes the pitches so the number 2 and 3 man can get an idea of how the pitcher is throwing that day. When he gets on base, he throws the pitcher's off by getting in their head about the steal. It's all the small things.

It's called small ball, grinder ball, ozzie ball, whatever and it's been working all year. Without him, we wouldn't never be near 70 wins at this point.:D:

Well said!! :cool:

mrwaffle
08-05-2005, 04:35 PM

If the middle of the order was better at driving in runs he would have considerably more runs scored, but they haven struggled doing this almost all season. All Pods is asked to do is get on base and do what he can from there, its not his fault when he gets to third with only one out and still can't get driven in.

nodiggity59
08-05-2005, 04:35 PM

You can slam Pods all you want, but the fact of the matter is that good teams have lead off hitters with a good OBP.

Pods may score less runs than some guys, but in a late game situation he's one of the few you can count on to take a bag and score. Other guys can do it, but no one can steal a necesary base better than Pods. I'm thinking Dave Roberts in the ALCS, etc.

nodiggity59
08-05-2005, 04:37 PM
If the middle of the order was better at driving in runs he would have considerably more runs scored, but they haven struggled doing this almost all season. All Pods is asked to do is get on base and do what he can from there, its not his fault when he gets to third with only one out and still can't get driven in.

Exactly, Paulie and Carl have gotten the job done when necesary, but they are far behind the league leaders in RBIs from the 3-4 spot. And we know Pods has been getting on base.

Cowhead418
08-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Oh right I forgot. Scoring runs is entirely up to the baserunner. It's never the job of the batter to drive in the runner! I guess you do learn something new everyday.:rolleyes:

maurice
08-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Oh right I forgot. Scoring runs is entirely up to the baserunner. It's never the job of the batter to drive in the runner! I guess you do learn something new everyday.:rolleyes:

Of course! A good leadoff man steals 2nd, 3rd, AND home.

:walnuts
"That's right. This has nothing to
do with my sub-.250 AVE w/ RiSP."

harwar
08-05-2005, 06:34 PM
I've had some pretty stressful jobs in my youth and i know mental exhaustion when i see it.
He looks tired at the plate and tired trying to steal.
My biggest fear all year is that Scott would be injured.
He has done everything that you could ask of a leadoff man.
With our timely hitting he doesn't score as many runs as most but he is very important to how this team wins games.
Plain and simple .. we need him.
He will be fine if he gets his mind right and doesn't become his own worst enemy. and
If he could just take a vacation in his mind,it sounds crazy but i did it overseas long ago and it works.

dickallen15
08-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Actually you can drive yourself home every once in a while. He hasn't done that . The White Sox didn't want to rely on that, so they have Pods. Everyone can fool yourselves with how great you think he is, the fact is he's been caught stealing 16 times, and some of the times he's been picked off have not counted as CS. Iguchi has had to get himself in some horrific counts trying to give him a chance to steal, and look at the numbers. I look at the runs that he has scored and driven in, and frankly his totals are average at best for a lead-off hitter, especially in the AL. Don't believe the hype, this team loses nothing when he's out of the line-up.

maurice
08-05-2005, 07:15 PM
his totals are average at best for a lead-off hitter, especially in the AL.

:?:
SB - 52 (#1 in the MLB . . . by a lot)
OBP - .354 (#6 among AL leadoff hitters)
R - 58 (#7 among AL leadoff hitters)

The leadoff hitters with higher R totals bat ahead of elite players. (Everett & Konerko <<< Ortiz, Ramirez, Rodriguez, etc.) Podsednik's SB% is slightly down now that he's in the midst of a slump, but his career % is better than guys like Henderson and Coleman.

Iguchi has had to get himself in some horrific counts trying to give him a chance to steal, and look at the numbers.

Look at what numbers? Iguchi is having a very good rookie year.

skobabe8
08-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Actually you can drive yourself home every once in a while. He hasn't done that . The White Sox didn't want to rely on that, so they have Pods. Everyone can fool yourselves with how great you think he is, the fact is he's been caught stealing 16 times, and some of the times he's been picked off have not counted as CS. Iguchi has had to get himself in some horrific counts trying to give him a chance to steal, and look at the numbers. I look at the runs that he has scored and driven in, and frankly his totals are average at best for a lead-off hitter, especially in the AL. Don't believe the hype, this team loses nothing when he's out of the line-up.

:bong:

Dude......PASS THAT S***!

(Just as Scotty hits a double)

kevingrt
08-05-2005, 11:25 PM

Have to agree with you. Numbers don't really mean anyhting this year. All that seems to matter is what is happening in the W-L column. Yes we are in a slump, but doesn't 99% of World Series teams experience slumps sometime during a season? I mean just because we aren't doing that well doesn't mean we need to start taking shots at players.

Yes, it seems that Pods might be a little tired, but maybe he is just getting ready for the final round.

Watch, Buehrle will have a bad outing and some people will be all over him.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-06-2005, 12:21 AM
Don't believe the hype, this team loses nothing when he's out of the line-up.

When Pods missed a week with the hammy the Sox played about .500 ball without him, far below our average. Seems to me we missed something.

dickallen15
08-06-2005, 12:27 AM
:?:
SB - 52 (#1 in the MLB . . . by a lot)
OBP - .354 (#6 among AL leadoff hitters)
R - 58 (#7 among AL leadoff hitters)

The leadoff hitters with higher R totals bat ahead of elite players. (Everett & Konerko <<< Ortiz, Ramirez, Rodriguez, etc.) Podsednik's SB% is slightly down now that he's in the midst of a slump, but his career % is better than guys like Henderson and Coleman.

Look at what numbers? Iguchi is having a very good rookie year.

You just made my case. His steals mean nothing if he doesn't score. His OBP and runs scored is very average. Its not like the White Sox don't score runs. The other thing is he can't do drive home a run to save his life. I think he and Iguchi should flip flop in the order. Let Iguchi drive the ball with a full at bat of pitches. Let Pods bunt him over to second. They would score more runs that way.Pods should be the guy giving himself up, not Iguchi. Iguchi is far more dangerous as a hitter.

dickallen15
08-06-2005, 12:28 AM
When Pods missed a week with the hammy the Sox played about .500 ball without him, far below our average. Seems to me we missed something.

They are something like 11-4 or 11-5 with him out of the line up.

dickallen15
08-06-2005, 12:31 AM
:bong:

Dude......PASS THAT S***!

(Just as Scotty hits a double)

Then he strikes out with 2 men on base.

FarWestChicago
08-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Then he strikes out with 2 men on base.I think we have a new shoota on our hands. :o:

kitekrazy
08-06-2005, 11:08 AM

You must be thinking of Willie Harris. Besides the Sox have always looked good on paper, but always played 2nd fiddle to a team with less pretty stats.

Rooney4Prez56
08-07-2005, 10:48 AM
I think he needs to start getting on base again. Just having him on base sparks the lineup and we start playing fundamental baseball again. Just the threat of him stealing causes many things to happen and I'm hoping he breaks out of his slump so we can go back to the way we've been playing all year. Pods is the key to this team's success, IMO.

I was at last night's game (8/6). Pods went 0-4 while reaching on an error and walkin once. His batting average may fall, but his on-base percentage is what matters. He stole 2 bases, and his part in the hit-and-run in the 8th was just the insurance the Sox needed. Pods is fine. Getting on base will contribute to winning.

skobabe8
08-07-2005, 03:37 PM
You must be thinking of Willie Harris. Besides the Sox have always looked good on paper, but always played 2nd fiddle to a team with less pretty stats.

Exactly. Spend less time analyzing and breaking down every stat known to man, and more time actually observing games and you will know what #22 brings to this team.

maurice
08-08-2005, 01:34 PM
His steals mean nothing if he doesn't score.

So you're saying that it's his fault if he gets a bunt single, steals second, steals third, and doesn't score because Konerko & Co. blow it? Meanwhile, Jeter and Damon should be rewarded for batting in front of some of the best players in MLB history?

The other thing is he can't do drive home a run to save his life. I think he and Iguchi should flip flop in the order.

Who give a crap how many RBI a AL leadoff man has? This isn't the NL, where the #9 hitter is constantly sac bunting. Uribe does a very good job of scoring runners. Podsednik's job is to get on base and cause trouble. He has done that combination of things better than the vast majority of leadoff hitters. That's hardly "very average." BTW, if Pods blows and can't drive in runs, why do you want him batting 2nd in place of one of the best situational hitters on the team?!?

Let me guess, you're from the Joe Morgan school of "leadoff hitters need to hit HR." That makes 2 of you.