PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Smallball? Or, Sorry: Smartball?

LVSoxFan
08-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Am I the only one lately who's noticed we're looking a lot like the 2004 Sox?

Meaning: the whole "smallball" approach has been absent and we're winning games with homers and slugfests?

The first half of the season, I marveled at how we'd win these one-run games or even games where we didn't even score a run (KC). But we'd always pull it out. Lately, though, we've been in the hole of a) scoring early and then checking out and/or b) winning with the homers.

Like yesterday.

And the men stranded on base thing is driving me nuts. 0-11?!?!? Two games ago?

Anybody else notice this, or am I crazy?

nebraskasox
08-05-2005, 12:31 PM
I think you're right. Runs from HRs have been the trend lately. The Cubune reports that 9 of 11 runs in the Jays series came via the HR. I don't have stats since the ASB but it sure seems that runs via HR are up as a % of runs scored. I hope this is just the ebb & flow of a long BB season as opposed to a trend for the rest of the year. With 70 wins, it apparent that the Sox can beat you in a number of ways: longball, smartball, pitching, speed & defense. If we can put it all together at one time, it would be awesome.

thecell
08-05-2005, 12:34 PM
You guys sound like the Chicago media. We have a couple of bad games and you're questioning the team. Did you want our #4 hitter to bunt with two men on? No, he's there to clean up the bases, and he did that with a 3 run bomb. I love smartball, but sometimes you have to adjust your strategy.

I mean, the team up north has the greatest pitching staff ever assembled and they sometimes get away from their strengths.

TomBradley72
08-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Ozzie has all but abandoned the bunt for the past month or so. Unless it's Pods, Ozuna or Willie (when he was up).

Fake Chet Lemon
08-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Tougher to play smallball when we aren't under the radar anymore. Teams know to look for the bunt, look for us to steal, they are pitching out more. I'm not to happy to see that our "adjustment" has been to try and hit the ball out of the park. But we only do it at home which is strange. In Baltimore we had a game we scored about 9 runs without a HR. The big crowds at home must be throwing us for a loop, and we are trying to jack everything out. With Carl and Frank out we better get back to basics.

thecell
Ozzie has all but abandoned the bunt for the past month or so. Unless it's Pods, Ozuna or Willie (when he was up).

Exactly, those are the guys that should have to put a bunt down.

CHIsoxNation
I will admit that I noticed that it seems we have resorted back to the long ball approach for a little bit. But you need to make adjustments throughout the season, especially if your catalyst for the offense (Pods) isn't getting on base as much as he used to.

On a side note, I don't know if any of you guys have seen the stats on Iguchi in the past few weeks, but he has been on a terror ever since Pods has been struggling. Now that Iguchi is able to swing away he is really raising his avg. Don't get me wrong, I love him in the #2 spot, but I am definitely with Ozzie he says that Iguchi is the White Sox's MVP this year.

LVSoxFan
08-05-2005, 12:41 PM
You guys sound like the Chicago media. We have a couple of bad games and you're questioning the team. Did you want our #4 hitter to bunt with two men on? No, he's there to clean up the bases, and he did that with a 3 run bomb. I love smartball, but sometimes you have to adjust your strategy.

I mean, the team up north has the greatest pitching staff ever assembled and they sometimes get away from their strengths.

Oh calm down already. This is not a "sky is falling" thread. And I agree that it's great that we can hit the bombs as well as play smallball--so in this way we are distancing ourselves from the '59 Go-Go Sox.

Just an observation, that's all. Relax.

Either way, you have to admit that our % with RISP is pretty nasty. Of late, at least...

Fake Chet Lemon
08-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Iguchi in the past few weeks......has been on a terror ever since Pods has been struggling. Now that Iguchi is able to swing away he is really raising his avg.

That is a brilliant 2+2 you put together. That is really interesting.

fquaye149
08-05-2005, 12:44 PM

This whole thread is a confusion of smallball and smartball, from the title on.

Smartball, what Ozzie claims we play, is about execution, not about squeezing blood runs from a stone.

Granted our execution has been poor recently, but every team gets cold.

However, please please don't act as if smartball doesn't rely on the three-run home run as much as it relies on the sacrifice bunt.

That is when you become the Chicago media.

oeo
08-05-2005, 12:48 PM
The key is Podsednik getting on base, he works our magic.

CHIsoxNation
08-05-2005, 12:52 PM
That is a brilliant 2+2 you put together. That is really interesting.

Hey now! All I was trying to say is that I am really impressed with how much of an all around ball player Iguchi is. It goes to show how much he does for this team when he sacrifices so many of his at bats to move over Pods.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Hey now! All I was trying to say is that I am really impressed with how much of an all around ball player Iguchi is. It goes to show how much he does for this team when he sacrifices so many of his at bats to move over Pods.

Your points are excellent.

We want to keep Iguchi at #2, he is so valuable there. But with Everett out for a few days, maybe we drop Iguchi to #3 or #5 for a few days and see what happens? He may surprise the **** out of us and go on a binge now that he can concentrate on hitting instead of helping move Pods around. I'd like to see it for 2 or 3 games anyway. But when Carl gets back, he goes back to the 2-hole.

CHIsoxNation
08-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Your points are excellent.

We want to keep Iguchi at #2, he is so valuable there. But with Everett out for a few days, maybe we drop Iguchi to #3 or #5 for a few days and see what happens? He may surprise the **** out of us and go on a binge now that he can concentrate on hitting instead of helping move Pods around. I'd like to see it for 2 or 3 games anyway. But when Carl gets back, he goes back to the 2-hole.

I totally agree. Maybe bring Rowand up the the #2 spot for a bit and push Iguchi back to #3. I don't think it could hurt really, we are pretty much stuck with what we have the rest of the season and into the post season. We have a big enough lead right now that I don't think it could hurt that much to switch it up a bit to get the top of the order going again. At least until Carl feels he is healthy enough to return.

thecell
08-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Oh calm down already. This is not a "sky is falling" thread. And I agree that it's great that we can hit the bombs as well as play smallball--so in this way we are distancing ourselves from the '59 Go-Go Sox.

Just an observation, that's all. Relax.

Either way, you have to admit that our % with RISP is pretty nasty. Of late, at least...

I was calm when I wrote this and I am calm right now. All I was trying to say is that sometimes you have to go with the flow. If one thing isn't working, try something else until you get back on track.

LVSoxFan
08-05-2005, 01:18 PM
No, I hear ya. I'm just saying... the style that won us that whole first half amazingly... seems to be AWOL right now. That's all.

thecell
08-05-2005, 01:22 PM
This whole thread is a confusion of smallball and smartball, from the title on. Agreed.

Smartball, what Ozzie claims we play, is about execution, not about squeezing blood runs from a stone. Agreed.

Granted our execution has been poor recently, but every team gets cold. Agreed.

However, please please don't act as if smartball doesn't rely on the three-run home run as much as it relies on the sacrifice bunt. You must have misunerstood what I said. I never said that the three-run homer is not relied upon. I said that your clean up hitter should be the guy to hit them and that's what has been happening.

That is when you become the Chicago media. I love the media :redneck

Ol' No. 2
08-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Good grief. In a 162 game season there will be inevitable ebbs and flows. You'll go through streaks where all you're hitting is HR, and streaks when you can't hit anything. Getting worked up over a few games seems ridiculous. Some of you guys sound like sportswriters, who, needing something to write about, magnify the importance of insignificant details.

LVSoxFan
08-05-2005, 01:32 PM
OMG put your pants back on already.

I'm simply pointing out that, of late, I haven't seen the "fundamentals" game that we mastered first half. Granted, I think a lot of that has to do with Pods' slump and him not getting on base.

Yes, a win is a win. But I would like to see us get back to that. I think teams (think: playoffs) are a little more intimidated by a team that will grind you down than a team that needs the Big Shot to put it away.

fquaye149
08-05-2005, 01:48 PM
You must have misunerstood what I said. I never said that the three-run homer is not relied upon. I said that your clean up hitter should be the guy to hit them and that's what has been happening.

I love the media :redneck

I wasn't speaking directly to you. I meant it as the "royal" you...lol. As in - all people in this thread:

please don't confuse smartball with a disdain of everything 3-run H-run