PDA

View Full Version : Shoutout Article with complaints about Cell

Hitmen77
08-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Sorry if this has already been discussed on another thread, but there's an article on this site that has complaints about the Cell and I was wondering what people thought about the comments.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2926

The complaints are:
- Park is in a lousy location
- Park doesn't face skyline
- Concessions are sub-par
- Quality of scoreboards

Any thoughts? I agree with the scoreboard problem. I've been to 3 games this year and each time my view of the scoreboard that shows all the game info (the one that's next to the fan deck) was completely blocked.

Concessions at the Cell are subpar? I don't get that comment. Everyone else raves about the concessions at the Cell.

Park doesn't face skyline? I've been to Safeco and couldn't see the skyline from that park either. Do people really care that the park doesn't face the skyline? Why does it matter? Have you ever seen the skyline view from the ramps at the Cell? It's NOT that big of a deal.

Soxaholic
08-05-2005, 11:46 AM
The Cell has great food, everyone knows that. Maybe he meant the way the concession stands were laid out. I admit I haven't been to many ballparks, but from the ones I've seen, the Cell leaves a lot to be desired. if you have Comcast's HD package they have a special called Cathedrals of the Game. They tour ballparks around the country and the other ballparks' set-ups are all unique compared to the carts and repeated designs around the Cell.

PatK
08-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Wrigley doesn't have a view of the skyline either, but you always hear what a great view you have. Although all you really see is a bunch of idiots various rooftops that complain about how the Cell's upper deck is too far away, even though they are 2-3 times as far and paying $250 a pop.

The view isn't too bad at the Cell, but it would look better if IIT was lit up a little nicer at night.

The concessions are bad? Maybe if you grew up on caviar and Charlie Trotter's.

The location is lousy? The only negative is that it isn't surrounded by bars and restaurants, although the area around the field is beginning to develop.

skobabe8
08-05-2005, 12:02 PM
The Cell has great food, everyone knows that. Maybe he meant the way the concession stands were laid out. I admit I haven't been to many ballparks, but from the ones I've seen, the Cell leaves a lot to be desired. if you have Comcast's HD package they have a special called Cathedrals of the Game. They tour ballparks around the country and the other ballparks' set-ups are all unique compared to the carts and repeated designs around the Cell.

I loved that show, but every time I caught it they were re-playing either Fenway or Cooperstown. :angry: I also saw Safeco once I believe.

If I were in charge, I wouldnt completely overhaul concessions, but I would tweak it. Wew need a BBQ stand, for instance.

Hangar18
08-05-2005, 12:12 PM
The location is lousy? The only negative is that it isn't surrounded by bars and restaurants, although the area around the field is beginning to develop.

As Soon as Uncle Jerry wises up, he'll realize just how affluent Bridgeport has become not to mention the safety of the neighborhood (many of its residents have lived there for years, and all watch out for each other/crime) He will let
Bars and Restaurants get built across the street.........for his teams good
and for the revitalization of the area.

Soxaholic
08-05-2005, 12:14 PM
I loved that show, but every time I caught it they were re-playing either Fenway or Cooperstown. :angry: I also saw Safeco once I believe.

If I were in charge, I wouldnt completely overhaul concessions, but I would tweak it. Wew need a BBQ stand, for instance.

I wouldn't overhaul it either, but the only variety it seems is on the Club Level or the Stadium Club. Outside of the season ticket holders and Sportservice employees, not many people know what the Cell offers. If there was a way to change it somehow and still keep the stand honoring the Sox legends, then they might have something.

CaptainBallz
08-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Sorry if this has already been discussed on another thread, but there's an article on this site that has complaints about the Cell and I was wondering what people thought about the comments.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2926

The complaints are:
- Park is in a lousy location
- Park doesn't face skyline
- Concessions are sub-par
- Quality of scoreboards

The complaints are:
-Dumb
-Dumb
- Really Dumb
- and Dumb

To be honest, the only other ballparks that I've been to besides the Cell/old Comiskey have been the urinal and Busch Stadium. Busch Stadium is in an awesome location....for a tourist. Just like Wrigley is in an awesome location....for a tourist. i have yet to be shot or fear getting shot in the cell's parking lot--not a consideration---and yeah, skyline, schmyline.
The concessions are awesome, if you have a problem with the actual goods or where they're located(?????) in the park you're a douche. That's grasping at straws.
As far as the scoreboards---I can't really say I've recently sat with a "scoreboard obstructed" seat lately, so I can't really comment n the side boards or the information given on them. But based on the other two parks, the Cell's board is far superior than some dicks with lil green numbers...

Soxaholic
08-05-2005, 12:19 PM
As far as the scoreboards---I can't really say I've recently sat with a "scoreboard obstructed" seat lately, so I can't really comment n the side boards or the information given on them. But based on the other two parks, the Cell's board is far superior than some dicks with lil green numbers...

If you sat it an obstructed seat, you would really notice it. I was in right center on Tuesday and I couldn't see the White Sox batting order or the Centerfield video board due to the Fan Deck. I would need to get up and walk on the concourse if I wanted to see it. Its nitpicking I know, but I see people from ballpark tours all the time at the Cell and its a valid point to them.

He gone
08-05-2005, 12:21 PM
I don't go to a game to look at the Skyline:rolleyes:

The only complaint I have with the concession stands is how slow they are at serving you. :angry:

As for the Score-board, I've got no problem with it :cool:

Location??? I go to the Cell to watch a ball game, I'm not looking for a Frat party. I don't need to drink before, during, and after the game to have a good time. If I did I would be a Cub fan :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :redneck

PaleHoseGeorge
08-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Just to clarify, this IS NOT a WSI article you're talking about. It is a Sox Fan Shout Out article submitted to and published by WSI.

WSI makes NO EDITORIAL CONTRIBUTION to the contents of this article.

:cool:

clogoodie
08-05-2005, 12:31 PM
While they aren't sub-par, the concessions definitely aren't as good as many around here state. 10 years ago, they were definitely above average, but I think most stadiums have caught up and serve similar quality fare now.

A lot depends on knowing where to go...for example, get your hot dog or polish from the little grill kiosks, not the large regular concession areas where you stand a good chance of getting a cold to lukewarm dog. Get the 16 oz import beers from the Beers Of The World stands...there are some stands that sell 12 oz draft imports for (i think) the exact same price. The last few pizza slices me or my girlfriend have gotten were either cold or undercooked - haven't figured out where the right pizza stand is or how to ensure it's a good piece. More consistency among stands would be good, as well as a higher quality control to at least ensure that food is always served warm.

Everytime i buy a hot dog, I find myself wishing there were standard chicago style condiments to put on it. Obviously, having all these ingredients at every stand that sells dogs isn't practical, but 2 or 3 true Chicago Style stands around the ballpark would be a welcome addition. Hell, call the stand 'Chicago Classics', and serve a more traditional Chicago deep-dish pizza like Giordanos or Unos...get Al's or Portillo's to do the italian beefs or at least ensure it's Scalas...(admittedly, I havent had a beef at the ballpark in a long time, so I don't know if they currently use scalas, what the beef tastes like, or how good the giardiniera is, etc).

And finally, yeah a little more variety would be good...BBQ definitely. I have a vague memory of there being BBQ at some point of new comiskey's history...I know I sat in my seat eating a slab of ribs that i drizzled packets of KC Masterpiece on...it must have been within the first 4 years of the ballpark's life. Dunno how well it would sell at the park, but a sushi cart would be interesting... Are there onion rings available anywhere? How are the mexican offerings...can those be improved?

Anyway, back to the initial topic - there's no way the food is sub-par, but there's definitely room to improve things.

Hitmen77
08-05-2005, 01:32 PM
If you sat it an obstructed seat, you would really notice it. I was in right center on Tuesday and I couldn't see the White Sox batting order or the Centerfield video board due to the Fan Deck. I would need to get up and walk on the concourse if I wanted to see it. Its nitpicking I know, but I see people from ballpark tours all the time at the Cell and its a valid point to them.

I sat down the 3rd base line (lower deck) at two games and the fan deck blocked the scoreboard. At another game, I was in the bleachers and one of the beer stands blocked the scoreboard. That aux board is the only place in the park that shows you the standard R-H-E totals. Also, I couldn't see at any of the games where they show if a play was rules a hit vs. error or a wild pitch vs. passed ball.

Hitmen77
08-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Just to clarify, this IS NOT a WSI article you're talking about. It is a Sox Fan Shout Out article submitted to and published by WSI.

WSI makes NO EDITORIAL CONTRIBUTION to the contents of this article.

:cool:

I found it interesting that the article says the writer lives in the Chicago area and yet it also says that, until his recent visit, he hasn't been to Sox Park in years. Hey, way to support the team!!

chisoxfanatic
08-05-2005, 01:44 PM

I've sat down the third base line, as well, and the Fundamentals area blocks the entire left third of the scoreboard you're talking about, so I can't see the lineups. From where I've sat, the first things I saw was the runs scored in the 1st inning. As a fan who already knows both lineups and constantly keeps them in my head, this is not an issue for me. But, perhaps moving that scoreboard over just a little bit might remedy this. Also, the couple sections to the left and right of the Fan Deck can't see the jumbotron.

A suggestion to those who must see the scoreboard and jumbotron...Sit in a seat where it will undoubtedly be unobstructed!

Iwritecode
08-05-2005, 01:45 PM
I found it interesting that the article says the writer lives in the Chicago area and yet it also says that, until his recent visit, he hasn't been to Sox Park in years. Hey, way to support the team!!

I could've swore that it said he lives in Seattle and works as a programmer and free-lance writer... :?:

Cat Thief
08-05-2005, 02:10 PM
I was in 156 yesterday and I couldn't see the scoreboard, it is kind of annoying but not such a big deal. They should show it on the jumbotron once in awhile otherwise if it is really that important to you get a scorecard. The player AB stats along the fan deck is good enough for me. As far as the concessions go I can vouch for the brats,nacho's,churros and cheese fries! They kick butt!
Dollar dogs kinda suck. They aren't even real Ballparks like advertised.

Hitmen77
08-05-2005, 02:31 PM
I could've swore that it said he lives in Seattle and works as a programmer and free-lance writer... :?:

Oh, it says he's from the Chicago area, but now lives in Seattle. My bad. My brain must be in partial shutdown mode for Friday :smile:

SOXSINCE'70
08-05-2005, 02:58 PM
As Soon as Uncle Jerry wises up, he'll realize just how affluent Bridgeport has become not to mention the safety of the neighborhood (many of its residents have lived there for years, and all watch out for each other/crime) He will let
Bars and Restaurants get built across the street.........for his teams good
and for the revitalization of the area.

It's coming,Hangar. Just give it time.
The sooner,the better.:gulp: :gulp:

Fake Chet Lemon
08-05-2005, 03:38 PM

Yes, right center SUCKS. I'll never sit there again. That fan deck blocks too much of the scoreboards.

skobabe8
08-05-2005, 04:26 PM
While they aren't sub-par, the concessions definitely aren't as good as many around here state. 10 years ago, they were definitely above average, but I think most stadiums have caught up and serve similar quality fare now.

A lot depends on knowing where to go...for example, get your hot dog or polish from the little grill kiosks, not the large regular concession areas where you stand a good chance of getting a cold to lukewarm dog. Get the 16 oz import beers from the Beers Of The World stands...there are some stands that sell 12 oz draft imports for (i think) the exact same price. The last few pizza slices me or my girlfriend have gotten were either cold or undercooked - haven't figured out where the right pizza stand is or how to ensure it's a good piece. More consistency among stands would be good, as well as a higher quality control to at least ensure that food is always served warm.

Everytime i buy a hot dog, I find myself wishing there were standard chicago style condiments to put on it. Obviously, having all these ingredients at every stand that sells dogs isn't practical, but 2 or 3 true Chicago Style stands around the ballpark would be a welcome addition. Hell, call the stand 'Chicago Classics', and serve a more traditional Chicago deep-dish pizza like Giordanos or Unos...get Al's or Portillo's to do the italian beefs or at least ensure it's Scalas...(admittedly, I havent had a beef at the ballpark in a long time, so I don't know if they currently use scalas, what the beef tastes like, or how good the giardiniera is, etc).

And finally, yeah a little more variety would be good...BBQ definitely. I have a vague memory of there being BBQ at some point of new comiskey's history...I know I sat in my seat eating a slab of ribs that i drizzled packets of KC Masterpiece on...it must have been within the first 4 years of the ballpark's life. Dunno how well it would sell at the park, but a sushi cart would be interesting... Are there onion rings available anywhere? How are the mexican offerings...can those be improved?

Anyway, back to the initial topic - there's no way the food is sub-par, but there's definitely room to improve things.

The mexican offerings can really be improved. I had nachos at a Diamondbacks game at a nacho cart and they blew me away. They had all the toppings, great guacamole, and even chicken and steak. And they came on a huge plate, not that little generic plastic tray you get at high school sporting events.

pudge
08-05-2005, 04:29 PM
The complaints are:
-Dumb
-Dumb
- Really Dumb
- and Dumb

Wow, no bias there. :wink:

hose
08-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Nancy Faust
exploding scoreboard
fundamentals
bullpen sports bar
fan deck in center
picnic area
concourse
great food
70 win team...it's all good:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::banda nce:

maurice
08-05-2005, 04:44 PM
The nachos at the Cell aren't really Mexican food, but they're exactly what many people crave when they go to a baseball game. OTOH, few parks can match the Cell's actual Mexican food, such as churros and elotes. Besides, even if some other parks have upgraded their food, that doesn't support the author's ridiculous claim that the concessions at the Cell are "sub-par."

CaptainBallz
08-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Wow, no bias there. :wink:

I prefer to call it 'Fair and Balanced'. :cool:

MikeLove
08-06-2005, 07:28 PM
I sat down the 3rd base line (lower deck) at two games and the fan deck blocked the scoreboard. At another game, I was in the bleachers and one of the beer stands blocked the scoreboard. That aux board is the only place in the park that shows you the standard R-H-E totals. Also, I couldn't see at any of the games where they show if a play was rules a hit vs. error or a wild pitch vs. passed ball.

i was at the game last night down the 3rd base line and also couldnt see the lineups on that scoreboard. it wasnt that bad but the fandeck definitely blocks that main scoreboard, maybe switch it to the other side where the show the scores of all the games around the league?

mrfourni
08-06-2005, 07:44 PM
I don't know if this should be posted here or not. But along the lines of the quality of the scoreboards, the White Sox would make some people a lot happier if they would update the out of town scoreboard more frequently. I don't think it can be that hard, considering other stadiums out of town scoreboards update scores and outs in an inning.

BainesHOF
08-06-2005, 07:56 PM
I have season tickets in the left field bleachers and I can't see the scoreboards in back of me. I'm tired of complaining about this. All I see in front of me are the ribbon scoreboards between the decks and their stupid graphics and ads. Is is too much to ask to let me know what hitter is up and his few basic stats, along with a basic linescore? As it is now, I can't even see how many hits and errors each team has.

Is it too much to ask the team to add a couple ribbon scoreboards behind home plate so all the fans in the outfield can see some basic info?

pudge
08-06-2005, 11:32 PM
I have season tickets in the left field bleachers and I can't see the scoreboards in back of me. I'm tired of complaining about this. All I see in front of me are the ribbon scoreboards between the decks and their stupid graphics and ads. Is is too much to ask to let me know what hitter is up and his few basic stats, along with a basic linescore? As it is now, I can't even see how many hits and errors each team has.

Is it too much to ask the team to add a couple ribbon scoreboards behind home plate so all the fans in the outfield can see some basic info?

Out of all the issues, I'm glad this is the one getting the most feedback, because IMO as a diehard fan, it's the most important.

Hitmen77
08-07-2005, 09:38 AM

The same thing happened to me in the bleachers. I couldn't even see the R-H-E numbers for the game. And when there was a play where it was questionable whether it was a hit or error or a passed ball vs. wild pitch. I kept looking around to any scoreboard I could see and could NOT find any indication of how the play was ruled.

I hope someone from the Sox management is aware of these complaints.

Tragg
08-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Seemed like a good article, with a few minor complaints. Under what name does the author post on this board?

As I don't live in Chicago I wondered: from downtown, which park is more accessible? From the suburbs, which park is most accessible?

hose
08-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Seemed like a good article, with a few minor complaints. Under what name does the author post on this board?

As I don't live in Chicago I wondered: from downtown, which park is more accessible? From the suburbs, which park is most accessible?

I have 2 options from Mount Prospect.

Walk down to the Metra station and take it to Ogilvie and then walk a block to the Green line.

Drive to the Park n Ride at either Cumberland or Rosemont and take the Blue Line to the Green Line.

The Metra has set schedules and isn't as flexible as the L.

From downtown I would say it's a toss up but give the edge to the Cell because you can take either the Red or Green Lines.

MikeLove
08-07-2005, 12:58 PM
i would say that the cell is more accessible from the suburbs too for one major reason. the fact that the cell actually has a parking lot makes it a lot easier to drive to the game and not pay as much. you can park for around $20 by wrigley in some private lots but you might be stuck there behind somebodies car all day

maurice
08-08-2005, 11:30 AM
from downtown, which park is more accessible?

The Cell. The Red Line takes you to either park, but it gets to the Cell faster because there are fewer stops (35th/Sox - Cermak/Chinatown - Roosevelt). As an added bonus, the Green Line also goes to the Cell and runs like an express train with no stops between 35th and Roosevelt.