PDA

View Full Version : What if a Sox player was caught - would you support him?

32nd&Wallace
08-05-2005, 09:57 AM
When Palmeiro comes back and has his first game at Camden Yards I am willing to be he will get a standing ovation as did Giambi when he came to his first at bat at Yankee Stadium. While Palmero and Giambi get booed everywhere else they go, it puts the fans at the home ballpark in an odd situation. Do you boo or stand and applaud to show your support for someone going through a rough time?

My question to everyone is if a Sox player got caught with sterioids - Frank, PK, AJ - would you show support for the guy and give him a standing ovation?

Madvora
08-05-2005, 10:06 AM
When Palmeiro comes back and has his first game at Camden Yards I am willing to be he will get a standing ovation as did Giambi when he came to his first at bat at Yankee Stadium. While Palmero and Giambi get booed everywhere else they go, it puts the fans at the home ballpark in an odd situation. Do you boo or stand and applaud to show your support for someone going through a rough time?

My question to everyone is if a Sox player got caught with sterioids - Frank, PK, AJ - would you show support for the guy and give him a standing ovation?
They've already been talking about giving Palmiero a standing O on the Orioles board. It's going to happen.

As for your question... no chance from me.

32nd&Wallace
08-05-2005, 10:08 AM
They've already been talking about giving Palmiero a standing O on the Orioles board. It's going to happen.

As for your question... no chance from me.I'm almost positive it will happen. As I was sure that Giambi would get one from Yankee fans. Can't say I totally find fault with that. It's really hard to abandon support for a player whom you've followed a for so long.

TornLabrum
08-05-2005, 10:17 AM

Absolutely not.

itsnotrequired
08-05-2005, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't applaud but I wouldn't boo either. Same approach I took when Mags came back. Just sit in silence.

The Racehorse
08-05-2005, 10:23 AM

nope

Randar68
08-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Absolutely not.

To me, it depends on the character of said individual. Also, there are some players I'd be far more likely to believe made a simple mistake versus actually taking something intentionally.

Is that fair without knowing 100% for sure? Probably not. But if I found out someone was taking Winstrol? Whole other story...

Support isn't the right word in any regard, IMO. They'll be chastized and pay the price in their professional careers. One-strike leads to a pretty darn serious consequence in the event of a second offense, and that is pretty hefty-punishment in and of itself.

SOXPHILE
08-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Absolutely not. I would be extremely angry and embarrassed that someone from my favorite team was a cheat. On a similar note, I did boo Will Cordero during his brief stint with the Sox (wife beater), and despite the numbers he put up, I was not happy when Joey Bell wore the pinstripes.

Procol Harum
08-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Negative.

The Dude
08-05-2005, 10:30 AM

Absolutely NOT! No question about it.

And I have a bad feeling that someone that Canseco played with when he was here will be named in his new book. I just hope I'm wrong.

silenceofthehawk
08-05-2005, 10:31 AM
never.

TornLabrum
08-05-2005, 10:31 AM
To me, it depends on the character of said individual. Also, there are some players I'd be far more likely to believe made a simple mistake versus actually taking something intentionally.

Is that fair without knowing 100% for sure? Probably not. But if I found out someone was taking Winstrol? Whole other story...

Support isn't the right word in any regard, IMO. They'll be chastized and pay the price in their professional careers. One-strike leads to a pretty darn serious consequence in the event of a second offense, and that is pretty hefty-punishment in and of itself.

Nobody takes anything inadvertently in this day and age. If a player takes a supplement that doesn't give its ingredients on the label, then he shouldn't take it. A good practice might be to not take any OTC supplements since the manufacturers are not required to list their ingredients.

wdelaney72
08-05-2005, 10:36 AM
No

Madvora
08-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Nobody takes anything inadvertently in this day and age. If a player takes a supplement that doesn't give its ingredients on the label, then he shouldn't take it. A good practice might be to not take any OTC supplements since the manufacturers are not required to list their ingredients.
Don't guys just eat breakfast, lunch and dinner anymore? Why do they have to go through all of this suppliment crap? Just go out and play baseball, why would you risk even accidentally taking something that might not be identified in your suppliment?

EastCoastSoxFan
08-05-2005, 10:59 AM
I seem to recall Ozzie recently commenting that he would "blast" any Sox player who tested positive. It sounds as if he wouldn't be the only one...

fquaye149
08-05-2005, 11:05 AM
if it were Frank I would give Frank the benefit of the doubt.

Anyone else I would not support.

That said, it would never be Frank because Frank would never be in that situation - he is a consumate pro. (which is why I would give him the benefit of the doubt...lol...catch-22)

Risk
08-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Hell No.

Risk

LuvSox
08-05-2005, 11:12 AM
I would never, ever cheer for a steriod using cheater.

downstairs
08-05-2005, 11:22 AM
No. Never.

This thread kinda shows you how much purer and smarter Sox fans often are.

You cheat, you're a cheater. You're cheating the fans primarily.

I'd boo.

sox_fan_forever
08-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Never. I could not cheer for someone who cheated. That would go against everything I believe in as a Sox fan.

whitesoxfan1986
08-05-2005, 11:56 AM
And I have a bad feeling that someone that Canseco played with when he was here will be named in his new book. I just hope I'm wrong.[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling it will be Konerko.

daveeym
08-05-2005, 11:58 AM

Exactly where'd I'd stand. I wouldn't give a standing O for someone caught on uppers either but I'd shrug that off with a "nice going jackass, way to hurt the team for something frivolous". Winstrol on the other hand, I'd be very tempted to boo.

Garland_IS_God
08-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Gimme a Hell No!!

oeo
08-05-2005, 12:10 PM

Why? Although his average may have slipped from last year, he had a career year last year. Otherwise, his power numbers are not incredibly lower. I'll believe it when they tell me he tested positive, otherwise I have no reason to believe it.

The Racehorse
08-05-2005, 12:21 PM
And I have a bad feeling that someone that Canseco played with when he was here will be named in his new book. I just hope I'm wrong.

Not trying to hijack the thread... but Dan Patrick on espn radio just cited 'his source' close to Selig that there is one more "big fish" out there that MLB has a positive test result on...

If it were a Sox player, I'd be disappointed big time in him.

Ol' No. 2
08-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread... but Dan Patrick on espn radio just cited 'his source' close to Selig that there is one more "big fish" out there that MLB has a positive test result on...

If it were a Sox player, I'd be disappointed big time in him.Any bets on whether it's someone named in Canseco's book? I say yes.

fquaye149
08-05-2005, 12:42 PM

I have a feeling it will be Konerko.[/QUOTE]

That's a little strong don't you think?

I'd be really really surprised if any of our stars juiced.

thecell
08-05-2005, 12:45 PM
I'd be really really surprised if any of our stars juiced.

I would be too, but I'd still boo them. I'd want whoever it is run out of town.

Oh wait, then ESPN would say how we don't support our players like the Yankees and Red SOx fans. :o: What do we do now?

GregoryEtc
08-05-2005, 12:48 PM
there is one more "big fish" out there

So he's a Marlin?

I think Jerry, KW and Ozzie should come out right now and say that if any Sox player tests positive, they will never wear the jersey again, no matter who they are.

gobears1987
08-05-2005, 01:14 PM
:whiner:Absolutely NOT! No question about it.

Magglio Ordonez

Fake Chet Lemon
08-05-2005, 01:24 PM
If at any point in their career they spoke out against steroids and then they were busted, absolutely not. They should be kicked out of the game.

But if they kept their mouth shut, MAYBE. If someone at my job was about to take my job because they were drinking grape Kool-Aid, and I couldn't do anything else in life, I could see how I would be tempted to drink the Kool Aid. Let's not be hypocrites. Life sometimes forces you to make some crappy decisions. Those situations don't make you an evil person. Again.....maybe.

fquaye149
08-05-2005, 01:44 PM
If at any point in their career they spoke out against steroids and then they were busted, absolutely not. They should be kicked out of the game.

But if they kept their mouth shut, MAYBE. If someone at my job was about to take my job because they were drinking grape Kool-Aid, and I couldn't do anything else in life, I could see how I would be tempted to drink the Kool Aid. Let's not be hypocrites. Life sometimes forces you to make some crappy decisions. Those situations don't make you an evil person. Again.....maybe.

That's such a bad comparison. Steroids are nowhere near as unfair to competition as grape kool-aid!

Deuce
08-05-2005, 01:44 PM

Lets keep our feelings to ourselves, why don't we. At least, not without at least a shred of proof to support it.

Deuce

Chez
08-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Purely a hypothetical question on a Friday afternoon. What if the next player identified as being in violation of MLB's drug policy was a member of the White Sox? How do you think you would (not should; would) react? Would your reaction be different depending on the importance of the player involved? Would it matter to you if that player was dispensable (e.g. Luis Vizcaino) or indispensable (e.g. Jon Garland)?

Rocky Soprano
08-05-2005, 02:05 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55573

Fake Chet Lemon
08-05-2005, 03:31 PM
That's such a bad comparison. Steroids are nowhere near as unfair to competition as grape kool-aid!

You do understand what an analogy is, right? Anyway, fine. Substitute steroids for Kool aid and I still stand by that.

I knew guys taking steroids in high just to look good, they weren't even athletes. So why people would take them to keep their livelihood could be understood. Especially if the guy who takes your job is on them. You may be totally against nuclear weapons. But if your enemy has some pointed at you, YOU BETTER GET SOME.

slavko
08-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Didn't Canseco replace the DL'ed Big Frank? So they didn't play together.

Chips
08-05-2005, 03:36 PM
No way.

Stroker Ace
08-05-2005, 03:47 PM
No. If a Sox player tested positive for steroids, I would lose all respect for that person.

DarkCloudDropo
08-05-2005, 03:57 PM
No.

hose
08-05-2005, 04:31 PM
I would wait till all the facts came in first. I wouldn't give him a standing ovation but I wouldn't boo him either.

Depending on the player and how he handle the situation would also come into play. If a fringe player was desperate to make the roster and was looking for an edge it would be different to me than Frank Thomas getting busted for roids.

I would be very disappointed but I don't think I would stop supporting the player if he came clean and admitted his guilt. I would give him another chance to get his act together.

chisoxfan64
08-05-2005, 04:51 PM
No chance.

RKMeibalane
08-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Absolutely not. Cheating in any form has no place in baseball, and any player caught doing something that can be construed as cheating doesn't deserve to be cheered. For that matter, the cheaters don't deserve to even play baseball anymore. If it were up to me, Palmeiro, Giambi, Franklin, Rincon, and the others would have been banned for life, no questions asked.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-05-2005, 05:05 PM
http://flyingsock.com/BaseballCards/Sosa91.jpg
:nandrolone
"Who you looking at?"

MarySwiss
08-05-2005, 05:46 PM
I have a feeling it will be Konerko.[/QUOTE]

Will someone please explain to me why so many (supposed) Sox fans have such a serious problem with Paul Konerko? Because I don't get it. The man is leading the team in HRs and RBI. Isn't that what clean-up hitters are supposed to do, clean up? And sluggers also strike out a lot. I mean, c'mon; he's slower than molasses in January, so he hits into double plays. But he's a decent defensive first baseman, and he sure as hell has a lot to do with this team being where it is. So why the animosity?

And he sure as hell does not fit the textbook description of a "juicer."

Foulke You
08-05-2005, 06:05 PM

If it were a Sox player, I'd be disappointed big time in him.
PLEASE let it be Sosa!! Please oh please!! :D:

RadioheadRocks
08-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Meh.

LuvSox
08-06-2005, 12:07 AM
PLEASE let it be Sosa!! Please oh please!! :D:

Remember when he got caught with the corked bat, we all went nuts! I would be 100 times that if he got caught with 'roids.:bandance:

SluggersAway
08-06-2005, 12:13 AM
Absolutely NOT! No question about it (If you are surprised, you have misread my post on another thread).

downstairs
08-06-2005, 10:28 AM

Will someone please explain to me why so many (supposed) Sox fans have such a serious problem with Paul Konerko? Because I don't get it. The man is leading the team in HRs and RBI. Isn't that what clean-up hitters are supposed to do, clean up? And sluggers also strike out a lot. I mean, c'mon; he's slower than molasses in January, so he hits into double plays. But he's a decent defensive first baseman, and he sure as hell has a lot to do with this team being where it is. So why the animosity?

And he sure as hell does not fit the textbook description of a "juicer."

Many people have a problem with his mouth. He says stupid and not-so-tactful things about players at bad times.

He doesn't really *bash* people. He's just one of those people (and I am sure we all know a few in real life) that is just a hair too honest, a hair to uninformed, and a hair too tactless... all with slightly bad timing.

To me, he makes me cringe more than have outright anger.

However... I highly doubt he is juicing. If he is, he ought to get a refund on his steroids, as they really didn't do all that much!

Rooney4Prez56
08-06-2005, 10:43 PM
If a Sox player was caught....I would be beyond disappointed. It wouldn't matter who it was.