PDA

View Full Version : Instant Replay?

Rooney4Prez56
08-05-2005, 08:41 AM
The other day on Pardon The Interruption they were talking about the idea of instant replay in baseball. I think this is a bad idea, because bad calls are part of the game. While I agree the ability for umps to consult a replay would settle the argument, but it would taint the soul of the game. What do you guys think?

Ol' No. 2
08-05-2005, 08:43 AM
The other day on Pardon The Interruption they were talking about the idea of instant replay in baseball. I think this is a bad idea, because bad calls are part of the game. While I agree the ability for umps to consult a replay would settle the argument, but it would taint the soul of the game. What do you guys think?The only conceivable place for it is for HR balls. And even then, I say ixnay.

bluestar
08-05-2005, 09:42 AM
I would be in favor of it only for HR/foul calls. While it is true the human aspect of being prone to error is part of the game, I think HR's are too important, and I have seen too many where it was fairly obvious the umpires were just guessing. If they had instant replay to consult, it would make their job easier.

Irishsox1
08-05-2005, 09:47 AM
I used to be totally against instant replay. But, since everygame is on televison and every other sport has adopted a form of instant replay now I'm infavor of it. But instant replay could only be used to judge homeruns or homerun foul balls. Other than that, even plays like A-Rod swatting the ball last year or the Royals blown call in the '85 world series would not be reviewable. Only what I listed above.

fquaye149
08-05-2005, 10:45 AM
I would be in favor of it only for HR/foul calls. While it is true the human aspect of being prone to error is part of the game, I think HR's are too important, and I have seen too many where it was fairly obvious the umpires were just guessing. If they had instant replay to consult, it would make their job easier.

The only way foul balls could work is if the umps assumed every ball was fair and let the play play out, then voted whether to overturn the ENTIRE play if the ball was shown to be foul

I don't think that's practical or defensible.

wdelaney72
08-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Baseball would find a way to screw this up. I say no.

bluestar
08-05-2005, 02:57 PM
The only way foul balls could work is if the umps assumed every ball was fair and let the play play out, then voted whether to overturn the ENTIRE play if the ball was shown to be foul

I don't think that's practical or defensible.

I meant only on foul balls that could be considered home runs, certainly not every foul ball. If the question is whether the ball was a home run or just foul, then I can see using instant replay. Either the batter and any runners on base score or the ball is foul. That seems pretty straightforward to me.

For the record, I would not be in favor of using instant replay to look at balls close to the lines, etc. That would wreak all sorts of havoc on the game and introduce needless delays.

I really don't have a problem just leaving things as they are now, but if MLB is going to implement instant replay, I would only want it to be for the home run vs. foul calls.

As someone else pointed out, if MLB is involved, they would probably screw it up. It's probably best left alone.

Sxy Mofo
08-05-2005, 03:08 PM
i like it for home run or not call only. whether that be fair or foul, or which side of the yellow stripe it hit on. Other sports have rules in regards to instant replay, baseball could do the same.

of course, i'm a non-traditionalist. I like interleague, wild card, 6 divisions, and steroid testing, I like long baseball pants (or shot, either way), and i want a salary cap to create more competition.

Mercy!
08-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Instant reply for a game that already moves at glacial speeds?
No, thank you.

LVSoxFan
08-05-2005, 03:15 PM
No kidding. Hey, anybody remember the Boston/NY series (ALCS) last year when the umps convened and reversed some calls? In every case they were right. Replays showed.

I have enough faith in the umps. Let it be.

Sxy Mofo
08-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Instant reply for a game that already moves at glacial speeds?
No, thank you.

Eh, to only use it on a questionable call for a homer... that happens, what, once a week in the entire league. I don't think it'd slow down the games that much.

Chips
08-05-2005, 03:34 PM
I remember a few years back, the Marlins were playing somebody, maybe it was the Flubs, and the ump went into the dugout to look at the TV replay to see if a ball was a homerun or not. I don't remember the call, but I do remember the announcers making a big deal out of it.

I think the replay would slow up the game, but it would be good to use to see if a runner was safe or out sliding into home or any base for that matter.

Mercy!
08-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Well, whatever they decide about instant reply, I hope they'll make an exception for all White Sox games and just Let Hawk Make The Call.

:hawk
"Dadgum right"

MIgrenade
08-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Replay does not have to slow up the game. It is used in Cricket very well. I was young when I saw it so I can't go into super specifics but the basics are this: They have judges in a booth looking at the play and making a decision before the ump calls for help. IF the field ump asks for help in the booth the reply officials signal what the call should be. In the matches I saw there was a green light to agree with the official and a red to reverse. It was not like the NFL which takes forever. This would be fast and useful.
I'm sorry I can't be more specific but I remember it being fast and it worked well in places where bad calls can lead to riots.

Bad calls are not part of the game. Good teams should win because they have talent, not because an ump calls a HBP when it was a swing. As Hawk said, "Fans don't come out to see umpires call games, they come to see players play."