PDA

View Full Version : Sox Playoff Opponents

PicktoCLick72
08-05-2005, 12:16 AM
Maybe I am just a little on mad because my car died on me today, but I am getting really annoyed about the Sox playoff opponents being talked about everywhere on the radio and online. Everyone keeps talking about who and who wouldn't match up well with the Sox.
First, I think that if the Sox are as good as everyone believe it won't matter who they play because the can beat any team in the league.
Second just because a team is hot on August 5 does not mean they will be hot on October 5. I wish people would get this through their head before they start tearing the sox chances of winning down.
Alright venting complete.

kevingrt
08-05-2005, 09:09 AM
I'm trying to figure out how many people have been telling me lately that we are dead if we meet Oakland in the wildcard. But I have to admit I kind of agree with them. I would like to see anyone but a West Coast team, especially of all teams friggin Oakland. The ugly city next to San Francisco, next to the ocean. Well, it's not that ugly but we play very damn ugly in the city.

gosox41
08-06-2005, 08:10 AM
I'm trying to figure out how many people have been telling me lately that we are dead if we meet Oakland in the wildcard. But I have to admit I kind of agree with them. I would like to see anyone but a West Coast team, especially of all teams friggin Oakland. The ugly city next to San Francisco, next to the ocean. Well, it's not that ugly but we play very damn ugly in the city.

I couldn't believe the number of people sitting around me at Sox games this week that were rooting for Minnesota to beat Oakland. They seem to be forgetting that though the Sox have a big lead, the division hasn't been clinched yet.

Bob

TDog
08-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Considering that Oakland was 7-2 against the Sox, and the Sox haven't won many playoff games lately, I don't see how people could possibly be super confident in a series against Oakland.

At least the Sox know what NOT to do.

Rooney4Prez56
08-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Considering that Oakland was 7-2 against the Sox, and the Sox haven't won many playoff games lately, I don't see how people could possibly be super confident in a series against Oakland.

I agree. As much as I hate the Yankees, I'd rather the Sox face them than the A's. The A's have always had the Sox's number.

Ol' No. 2
08-07-2005, 10:49 AM
You people have no historical perspective. In the late 80's and early 90's when the A's were routinely winning the AL West, the Sox would almost always beat them like a drum during the regular season. Do you seriously think they would have been afraid to face the Sox during the post-season if that had been possible?

downstairs
08-07-2005, 11:13 AM
You people have no historical perspective. In the late 80's and early 90's when the A's were routinely winning the AL West, the Sox would almost always beat them like a drum during the regular season. Do you seriously think they would have been afraid to face the Sox during the post-season if that had been possible?

Well, "afraid" is a loaded word.

Would they have rather faced Boston or Toronto than the White Sox? For sure. We had their number. It happens to every good team... you just match up poorly against certain teams for many different reasons.

I don't think its voodoo or anything irrational.

I don't want to face Oakland. We don't match up well against them. Simple as that.

FoulTerritory
08-07-2005, 12:00 PM
I agree w/ the sentiments of not wanting to face Oakland, mostly because the A's seem to hit both Buerhle and Garland very well.

But, we will not face Oakland in the 1st round. The way I see it, there is no way they do not win that division now. The WC wll likely go to Boston, NY, or LA. Cleveland will fade.

Ventura Fan 23
08-07-2005, 12:12 PM
HEY, the Sox will have to face their fears at some point of time, and they will have to overcome them. The Bulls were able to overcome the Pistons who they long feared, and guess what happened that year? They won the championship. So if the Sox can beat Oakland in the playoffs, they can beat ANYONE.

samram
08-07-2005, 12:17 PM
I agree w/ the sentiments of not wanting to face Oakland, mostly because the A's seem to hit both Buerhle and Garland very well.

But, we will not face Oakland in the 1st round. The way I see it, there is no way they do not win that division now. The WC wll likely go to Boston, NY, or LA. Cleveland will fade.

First, Garland has won twice against them this season and pitched well.

Secondly, it's very possible they won't win that division. Their rookie starting pitchers have never thrown more than 160-175 innings in a season and they're gonna start getting there in the next couple of weeks. They may start getting hit around a little bit.

They also have a rookie closer- is he going to withstand the pressure in September games against LAA?

Finally, in response to TDog, it's true the Sox haven't won many playoff games lately. However, I would just point out that these recent A's playoff teams seem to find a way to lose series. I think they've blown 2-0 leads twice in the first round- usually because their close implodes.

FarWestChicago
08-07-2005, 12:23 PM
However, I would just point out that these recent A's playoff teams seem to find a way to lose series. I think they've blown 2-0 leads twice in the first round- usually because their closer implodes.:keith

I have no idea what you are talking about!

Optipessimism
08-07-2005, 01:59 PM
I couldn't believe the number of people sitting around me at Sox games this week that were rooting for Minnesota to beat Oakland. They seem to be forgetting that though the Sox have a big lead, the division hasn't been clinched yet.

Bob

I was rooting for the Twins not only because we play like crap against Oakland but also because I'd like to see the Sox possibly meet the Twins in the ALCS. That, IMO, would be the perfect stage to finally take back the AL Central. Plus, the ESPN idiots would have to give the Central some credit then.

BTW, the division hasn't been clinched yet mathematically, but it's just about all over.

Chips
08-07-2005, 06:46 PM
BTW, the division hasn't been clinched yet mathematically, but it's just about all over.

Not to sound like a dark cloud, because I am 100% ready for a World Series and I also think we have this division all but wrapped up, but I do believe the 1969 Scurbs blew a late season 9 or 10 game lead, and the 1964 Phillies had a 6 1/2 game lead with 12 game left to play and ending up losing 10 straight and watching the playoffs on TV.

I want to see Minnesota and Cleveland lose as many games as possible hoping that they do not get extremely hot late and we hit a slump.

A_ROW33
08-07-2005, 06:59 PM
:keith

I have no idea what you are talking about!

:bkoch:
I don't either

Fredsox
08-07-2005, 07:14 PM
HEY, the Sox will have to face their fears at some point of time, and they will have to overcome them. The Bulls were able to overcome the Pistons who they long feared, and guess what happened that year? They won the championship. So if the Sox can beat Oakland in the playoffs, they can beat ANYONE.

Not only will the Sox have to face their fears, but the rest of the playoff teams will have to face the White Sox. While we might not be playing extremely well right now, the truth is our pitching is absolutely capable of stopping any offense in baseball, out defense is as good as anyone's, and our offense (while a bit inconsistent) is pretty damn good.

When are we going to stop defecating in our drawers about teams that we may or may not face in the playoffs? When are we going to at least recognize that we are more likely to stomp any team in a 7 game series as opposed to getting stomped?

chisoxfanatic
08-07-2005, 07:45 PM
One thing that really bodes well for us is that we haven't had more than a 3-game losing streak all season long, and have followed those losing streaks with equal or greater winning streaks.