PDA

View Full Version : Vallenstache flashes the leather

DC Sox Fan
08-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Just got back from the LAD v Nats game. Awesome game, as I got to witness the Nats' first grand slam (Brad Wilkerson in the bottom 8th)

Just wanted to let ya know that our old mustached friend made a great catch in left field, robbing extra bases from Vinnie Castilla. Crashed into the wall and got up- didn't rob a homer, but it was a solid play.

Of course he overthrew the cut off man and the throw landed in the 1B stands. Maybe we should have had him playing OF all along...

The Racehorse
08-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Just got back from the LAD v Nats game. Awesome game, as I got to witness the Nats' first grand slam (Brad Wilkerson in the bottom 8th)

Just wanted to let ya know that our old mustached friend made a great catch in left field, robbing extra bases from Vinnie Castilla. Crashed into the wall and got up- didn't rob a homer, but it was a solid play.

Of course he overthrew the cut off man and the throw landed in the 1B stands. Maybe we should have had him playing OF all along...

I was at the Dodger/Nats game Tuesday night.

Jose got a fly ball right away in LF in the 1st inning, which he caught easily... but then, no lie, over threw the cutoff man with his throw back into the infield... I couldn't help but think "same old Manos" :cool:

wdelaney72
08-04-2005, 11:56 PM
That and his putrid batting average is why the Dodgers or any other team can have him. Valentin sucks.

FarWestChicago
08-05-2005, 12:29 AM
That and his putrid batting average is why the Dodgers or any other team can have him. Valentin sucks.Not anywhere near as much as you. **** *******.

Mr. White Sox
08-05-2005, 12:35 AM
Not anywhere near as much as you. **** *******.

uhhh...
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:FGfXY5ZcWdEJ:www.weaselcircus.com/funnypics/chillpill.jpg

FarWestChicago
08-05-2005, 12:39 AM
uhhh...
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:FGfXY5ZcWdEJ:www.weaselcircus.com/funnypics/chillpill.jpgLast I checked, you didn't own this board. You can also ****.

Joosh
08-05-2005, 12:42 AM
Deleted my Comments because they were idiotic.

basilesox
08-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Not anywhere near as much as you. **** *******.

*****... Give em' Hell Far West, I have always remembered that you were a huge Manos fan from back when I started posting here like three years ago.

I too am a huge fan of Manos.... I still wear my Custom made Jose Valentin Alternate Jersey.

Those who constantly knock him obviously are not real White sox Fans. Real Fans would remember how great of a clubhouse leader he was or how many times he would come through in the clutch. I have seen him hit walk offs in 4 different games. I will always remember him and I hope he tears it up wherever he ends up.

FarWestChicago
08-05-2005, 01:52 AM
Those who constantly knock him obviously are not real White sox Fans. Real Fans would remember how great of a clubhouse leader he was or how many times he would come through in the clutch. I have seen him hit walk offs in 4 different games. I will always remember him and I hope he tears it up wherever he ends up.Only a complete loser speaks ill of a past player who gave his all and was a huge Flub killer. Nobody is saying he was Ted Williams, but there is no reason to rip a class act from the past.

basilesox
08-05-2005, 01:58 AM
Only a complete loser speaks ill of a past player who gave his all and was a huge Flub killer. Nobody is saying he was Ted Williams, but there is no reason to rip a class act from the past.

Agreed. I can still remember how incredible he was in 2000. Or the bottom of the Ninth inning HR against the Cubs. Funny story.....that game was the first time I hadn't worn my Valentin Jersey in about 15 games. I was distraught that I didn't have it on. On the way out I see about 15 people carrying another dude down the ramp who was wearing his Valentin Jersey. Talk about pooring salt in the wounds... Hell of a game though.

Also notable..The first game I took my girlfriend (A yankees fan) to, Valentin Singles in the winning run. This was shortly after Carlos homered to tie it up. I was going crazy. Her first baseball game ever and she gets to watch a classic Sox year 2000 comeback. This was during that stretch when we absolutely dealt it to the Yankees and the Indians back in 2000.

CLR01
08-05-2005, 01:58 AM
Only a complete loser speaks ill of a past player who gave his all and was a huge Flub killer. Nobody is saying he was Ted Williams, but there is no reason to rip a class act from the past.

:rolleyes:

Jose sucks. :redface:

Podzilla_40
08-05-2005, 02:33 AM
Jose would be a decent pinch hitter but my God do not let that man anywhere near a glove.

TornLabrum
08-05-2005, 06:30 AM
:rolleyes:

Jose sucks. :redface:

Mod fight!!!!!

wdelaney72
08-05-2005, 08:09 AM
If you guys want to keep living with your heads buried in the sands, be my guest. 2000 was what we call a "career year" for Jose. I'm not taking anything away from his heart or the fact that he was a class act. But outside of 2000, he was brutal... and we suffered through 4 years of it.

BA
2001 .258
2002 .249
2003 .237
2004 .216

Not to mention, the countless, stupid errros he committed.

I stand by my original statement. Jose sucks.

fledgedrallycap
08-05-2005, 09:18 AM
I think the fundamental question is do any Sox fans miss Jose as a player? I'm willing to bet the overwhelming majority do not. However, he was a great personality and by all accounts a good teammate. He provided a lot of great clutch hits and in my opinion his defense was never as bad as what it read on paper. One last point is Jose probably did suck his last year on the Southside, and it's the theory of what have you done for me lately. His career at shortstop was a good one overall and there are a lot of statistics that would put his four year stretch in offensive categories behind only a select few in the American League.

slavko
08-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Also notable..The first game I took my girlfriend (A yankees fan) to, Valentin Singles in the winning run. This was shortly after Carlos homered to tie it up. I was going crazy. Her first baseball game ever and she gets to watch a classic Sox year 2000 comeback. This was during that stretch when we absolutely dealt it to the Yankees and the Indians back in 2000.

Weren't those games on the road?

fquaye149
08-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Those who constantly knock him obviously are not real White sox Fans. Real Fans would remember how great of a clubhouse leader he was or how many times he would come through in the clutch. I have seen him hit walk offs in 4 different games. I will always remember him and I hope he tears it up wherever he ends up.

Or how he took a paycut to be with us.

Still, I'm not disappointed he's with LA and not with us this year. It was time to move on...he really fell off in the last few years....I hope he does well in LA, but sure don't miss him this year.

Huisj
08-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Agreed. I can still remember how incredible he was in 2000. Or the bottom of the Ninth inning HR against the Cubs. Funny story.....that game was the first time I hadn't worn my Valentin Jersey in about 15 games. I was distraught that I didn't have it on. On the way out I see about 15 people carrying another dude down the ramp who was wearing his Valentin Jersey. Talk about pooring salt in the wounds... Hell of a game though.

That game against the yankees will always live on in my mind as one of my favorite games. I got home from work right at about the beginning of the 8th inning, and when Lee hit that shot, I jumped up off the couch and clapped my hands and yelled . . . and woke up my dad, who came downstairs kind of grumpy to tell me to quiet down, but when he saw what was happening he suddenly was real excited too. That was a heck of a summer.

Of course, this is even more of a heck of a summer. :cool:

SoxFan76
08-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Mod fight!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha, oh man....but I agree with West. How can you rip on a player who did so many great things for this team. He was so clutch during his White Sox career.

tstrike2000
08-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Manos was clutch so many times. Unfortunately at the end when he wanted to go exclusively from the left side of the plate, it was strike out, strike out, strike out, HR.

NDSox12
08-06-2005, 04:09 PM

I was at that game too... I had a great time! The Nats have been tough to watch of late, but that game was definitely a fun one.

Nice play by Jose too. I was pretty surprised to see him in left field. I won't speak ill of him because he did have some great moments in a Sox uniform. I'm happy with our current shortstop though as well.

SOXSINCE'70
08-06-2005, 05:43 PM

5 days earlier,he scored twice in the first inning on Father's Day
(and Bat Day) at Yankmee stadium.His second AB in the first inning,
his grand slam gave the Sox an insurmountable 9-0 lead.:bandance: :bandance:

That game ended as a 17-4 Sox victory,capping a 7-0 road
trip through Cleveland and Noo Yawk.That may have been
one of the greatest weeks in Sox history before the 2005
season.:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

BTW,the winner was Parque.The loser?? El Duque.He had nothing
that day.Zero,zip,zilch. How lopsided was this game?? The Sox sent
12 men to the plate in that first inning.Frank Thomas made the
first and final out of the inning.

FoulkeFan
08-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Jose was great for us - not only was he Mr. Clutch (see below) he also was a very good defensive player.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/clutch-masters/
"During his White Sox years, Valentin wasn't a flashy player and his play in the field and at the plate tended to be overlooked. But sabermetricians understood that he was a fine shortstop, as evidenced by his Zone Rating. Maybe it's time to acknowledge his ability to hit in the clutch, too.

Over his entire career (since 1992), Valentin has batted .227 with the bases empty, .263 with runners on and .274 with runners in scoring position. Plus, he's had an average proportion of RISP at-bats with two outs. Using James's clutch formula, that yields 36 extra runs created, or almost four extra wins over his career. These are wins that most sabermetric stats exclude.

Let's give credit where credit is due. Clutch hitters may not exist, but Jose Valentin is definitely one of them."

ode to veeck
08-10-2005, 12:54 AM
But outside of 2000, he was brutal... and we suffered through 4 years of it.
You poked me in the eye Pinocchio. Get a grip. Sure he really dropped off in '03 and '04, but he still hot tons of leadership clutch hits through '01 and '02, even when his playing time was greatly reduced by the Royce Conspiracy. Who can forget his mocking of Sammy after the big HR to down the Flubs. Don't even start on Valentin's glove; next thing you know, you'll be right next to Paulie singing the praises of Clayton, the greatest shortstop of all time. Give me a break! Sure Manos was clearly dropping off, but contrary to popular belief by the dark clouds, his career did not end in 2000.