PDA

View Full Version : SI's scariest playoff contenders

bumptious96
08-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Here are SI's scariest playoff contenders:

1) Astros. Roger Clemens, Roy Oswalt and Andy Pettitte should strike fear in any team.

2) A's. The offense -- baseball's highest-scoring since the start of June -- is locked in, and Zito and Harden are a formidable pair.

3) Cardinals. Chris Carpenter is the kind of pitcher who can dominate a postseason. But who will step up behind him?

4) Red Sox. Still the scariest lineup in baseball, but they have too many question marks in the rotation and bullpen to instill full confidence.

5) Braves. How will the Baby Braves perform in the glare of the postseason? Can Atlanta count on Chris Reitsma?

6) White Sox. Combined postseason experience of Jon Garland and Mark Buehrle: 2/3 inning. Career postseason saves by Dustin Hermanson: 0.

7) Angels. The lineup is dangerous -- Chone Figgins is one of baseball's great unknown players -- but the rotation is mediocre.

8) Padres. Yes, the NL West is really this bad. But the Padres' addition of Chan Ho Park makes this team dangerous in a short series. Kidding.

Is McAfee Coliseum the worst venue in baseball? No -- but it's close. The eight worst: 1) RFK Stadium 2) McAfee Coliseum 3) The Metrodome 4) Dolphins Stadium 5) U.S. Cellular Field 6) SkyDome 7) Tropicana Field 8) Shea Stadium

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/albert_chen/08/04/athletics.hot/index.html

All this coming from a guy named Al Chen. This no respect stuff is definitely starting to get old.

chisoxfanatic
08-04-2005, 09:03 PM
:KW
"We don't care!"

But, seriously, how is Comiskey one of the worst venues in MLB??? It's much better than The Shrine and tops tons of other ballparks.

rowand33
08-04-2005, 09:07 PM
how could anyone rate the cell worse than tropicana?

awful.

voodoochile
08-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Here are SI's scariest playoff contenders:

1) Astros. Roger Clemens, Roy Oswalt and Andy Pettitte should strike fear in any team.

2) A's. The offense -- baseball's highest-scoring since the start of June -- is locked in, and Zito and Harden are a formidable pair.

3) Cardinals. Chris Carpenter is the kind of pitcher who can dominate a postseason. But who will step up behind him?

4) Red Sox. Still the scariest lineup in baseball, but they have too many question marks in the rotation and bullpen to instill full confidence.

5) Braves. How will the Baby Braves perform in the glare of the postseason? Can Atlanta count on Chris Reitsma?

6) White Sox. Combined postseason experience of Jon Garland and Mark Buehrle: 2/3 inning. Career postseason saves by Dustin Hermanson: 0.

7) Angels. The lineup is dangerous -- Chone Figgins is one of baseball's great unknown players -- but the rotation is mediocre.

8) Padres. Yes, the NL West is really this bad. But the Padres' addition of Chan Ho Park makes this team dangerous in a short series. Kidding.

Is McAfee Coliseum the worst venue in baseball? No -- but it's close. The eight worst: 1) RFK Stadium 2) McAfee Coliseum 3) The Metrodome 4) Dolphins Stadium 5) U.S. Cellular Field 6) SkyDome 7) Tropicana Field 8) Shea Stadium

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/albert_chen/08/04/athletics.hot/index.html

All this coming from a guy named Al Chen. This no respect stuff is definitely starting to get old.

Teams from this list pretty much assured of a playoff spot:

Sox
Cards

To be scary, you first have to get there...

Mr. White Sox
08-04-2005, 09:08 PM
"We don't care!"
But, seriously, how is Comiskey one of the worst venues in MLB??? It's much better than The Shrine and tops tons of other ballparks.

This is an obvious smear campaign. Unless you like sterile ballparks built for 80 year olds, Comiskey is better than Tropicana Field and the Skydome by far. Lame article.

Idiotic Chen Point #2: The Sox were lambasted for their lack of postseason experience. How many combined postseason innings have Rich Harden, Danny Haren, Joe Blanton and Kirk Saarloos pitched?

Idiotic Chen Point #3:

Uhhh...Matt Morris and Mark Mulder. You moron.

Idiotic Chen Point #4: The Angels, ranked 7th, are criticized for the same reasons as Boston: good lineup, mediocre pitching. Well, LAA's pitching is ranked #2 in the AL; Boston is ranked 11th. LAA's starters are best in the AL in ERA (3.84)...Boston is 8th (4.56)...
Oh, and Boston's bullpen ERA? 5.08; that's 27th in MLB. MORON!

Idiotic Chen Point #5: Chone Figgins is not "Unknown", especially to those that you supposedly are catering to.

WhiteSoxAaron could write better articles than this tool.

Risk
08-04-2005, 09:12 PM
2 questions:

1) Who the **** is this guy? and

2) Why should we care?

He is probably one of the many media asshats who predicted the Sox to finish 4 th in the AL Central and now is eating ****, but isn't even man enough to own up to it. How in God's name is the Cell worse than Tropicana? Inquiring minds want to know?

Actually, not really, in fact, this moron probably isn't even a good enough writer to get his foaming diarrhea onto print, just some internet nerd who conned the jagoffs at SI that he actually knows something about baseball, which anyone with two working brain cells and a synapse firing in between would realize.

End rant. And Chen can kiss my rings.

Risk

mr_genius
08-04-2005, 09:15 PM
they probably haven't seen US cellular after the renovations

SI sucks

BeviBall!
08-04-2005, 09:20 PM
8) Padres. Yes, the NL West is really this bad. But the Padres' addition of Chan Ho Park makes this team dangerous in a short series.

Uh, aren't all series best of seven these days?

mr_genius
08-04-2005, 09:26 PM
also, didn't SI pick the cubs to win the WS last year and the Twins to win this year?

chisoxfanatic
08-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Uh, aren't all series best of seven these days?

Not the divisional series. That's only a 5-gamer.

chisoxfanatic
08-04-2005, 09:36 PM
they probably haven't seen US cellular after the renovations

SI sucks

That's probably because they're too scared to travel to our side of town because Bridgeport is such an unsafe neighborhood!!!

oeo
08-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Wow, you'd think they would start to believe, but no. They doubted us before the season and we went on a tear...only seems right to do the same in the postseason.

jake27
08-04-2005, 09:47 PM

Sox
Cards

To be scary, you first have to get there... it said playoff contenders, not teams that are locks not to make the playoffs. and i dont like the rnakings of the ballparks (the cell i think is top half of parks), but hte white sox arent really scary for a playoff team. sure they have the best records, but records dont mean anything in the playoffs expect the who u play and if u have home field. i think the sox will do great in the playoffs and make the world series, and garland and buehrle will do fine despite their lack of playoff experience. but i can see why he doesnt think the sox are scary

but dont label me as a :dtroll: :smile:

BeviBall!
08-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Not the divisional series. That's only a 5-gamer.

I could've sworn they switched to a seven game series this year. Guess not. Forgive-a-ness please, Mr. Chen.

Chips
08-04-2005, 10:09 PM

Sox
Cards

To be scary, you first have to get there...

The Altanta Braves are a lock IMO.

OzzieBall2005
08-04-2005, 10:18 PM

awful.

That alone proves this piece to be a hunk of garbage.

Vernam
08-04-2005, 11:00 PM
White Sox. Combined postseason experience of Jon Garland and Mark Buehrle: 2/3 inning. Career postseason saves by Dustin Hermanson: 0.
Postseason experience of El Duque:
Games 17, Wins 10, Losses 3, ERA 2.65, Innings 102.0, Walks 51, Strikeouts 101

Postseason experience of Freddy Garcia:
Games 6, Wins 3, Losses 2, ERA 3.71, Innings 34.0, Walks 14, Strikeouts 32

But pointing that out wouldn't have made such a snappy one-liner. :mad: As if any of those other teams he listed wouldn't kill for our pitching staff, top to bottom.

VC

voodoochile
08-05-2005, 07:12 AM
it said playoff contenders, not teams that are locks not to make the playoffs. and i dont like the rnakings of the ballparks (the cell i think is top half of parks), but hte white sox arent really scary for a playoff team. sure they have the best records, but records dont mean anything in the playoffs expect the who u play and if u have home field. i think the sox will do great in the playoffs and make the world series, and garland and buehrle will do fine despite their lack of playoff experience. but i can see why he doesnt think the sox are scary

but dont label me as a :dtroll: :smile:

Well, the story is about which teams would be tough to play if they make the playoffs and my point was that first you have to make the playoffs.

I agree that the offense doesn't instill much confidence in me with both Frank and Everett out for an extended period. Still, now is the time to have injuries while you can still make some moves and while the players in question have some time to heal.

But, the team has lived and died on it's pitching all season. The bullpen is one of the best in the league and that top three (with Contreras/El Duque to make the bullpen even stronger or be an excellent tag team tandem for a fourth starter) is as good as anyone else has this season. So, I think the Sox are fine. But, I also admit that I am totally biased... :tongue:

Iwritecode
08-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Postseason experience of El Duque:
Games 17, Wins 10, Losses 3, ERA 2.65, Innings 102.0, Walks 51, Strikeouts 101

Postseason experience of Freddy Garcia:
Games 6, Wins 3, Losses 2, ERA 3.71, Innings 34.0, Walks 14, Strikeouts 32

But pointing that out wouldn't have made such a snappy one-liner. :mad: As if any of those other teams he listed wouldn't kill for our pitching staff, top to bottom.

VC

I was waiting for somebody to mention this.

Maybe we need to ask Mr. Chen when they started awarding playoff victories based on the amount of post-season experience the starting pitcher has...

Rooney4Prez56
08-05-2005, 09:51 AM
Im only worried about the A's. We all know how the Sox play against the A's.

Jjav829
08-05-2005, 09:58 AM
I know some people love to complain when the Sox are listed as the best in everything, but this guy isn't too far off. If I had to rank the scariest playoff contenders, I'd say:

1.) Houston Astros - No doubt, the scariest playoff team there is. Clemens, Oswalt and Pettitte. Yikes. The Astros got close last year. This year they are more experienced and with a healthy Andy Pettitte, their playoff rotation sets up as the best there is. They have a dominating closer. Their offense is better than it was earlier in the season and you can figure on Jeff Bagwell being back if he can manage to swing a bat, even if it is with pain.

2.) Boston Red Sox - They're still the defending World Champs. As long as Schilling gets moved back in to the rotation, they are the team to beat in the AL.

3.) St. Louis Cardinals - Got to the Series last year. This year they'll have Carpenter pitching in the playoffs, a much improved Matt Morris and their offseason prize of Mark Mulder. That's a much better starting rotation. As long as they can get healthy, their offense and defense will remain about as good as anyone around.

To me, there's a dropoff after the top 3. The other teams have more holes.

4.) Chicago White Sox - I think if the Sox are going to lose in the playoffs, which is possible, it's going to be because of three things. 1.) Lack of experience. 2.) Lack of power pitching. 3.) Lack of impact hitters. Those are my biggest worries and I think those concerns are enough to justify anyone keeping the Sox out of the top of a list of scary teams. If you need proof of these concerns, the Angels supposedly want to face the Sox in the playoffs as the Angels feel the Sox lack of experience could make them an easier opponent.

5.) Atlanta Braves - We know how good John Smoltz is in the playoffs, but can Hudson and Hampton be as effective. And can they really be comfortable counting on Chris Reitsma to close games? Or Kyle Farnsworth and Dan Kolb to setup those games?

6.) LA Angels of Anaheim - After Colon, the rotation isn't all that scary, though John Lackey could change that this year. Their bullpen is about as good as it gets for playoff teams. Aside from Vlad and Anderson, their offense isn't that scary.

7.) Oakland Athletics - I don't know why this guy has the A's so high. Maybe he's a Sox fan. The A's are really scary to us because we can't beat them, especially in their park. Yeah, Zito has pitched better, and Harden has some of the best stuff in baseball, but I don't see them as being that scary to others. If the Yankees pass them up, I think the Yankees are a much scarier playoff team.

8.) San Diego Padres - Aside from Jake Peavy, there isn't a lot to be scared of. The bullpen can be good, but since the Padres starters have trouble keeping the other team from scoring, the pen doesn't get enough chances to shine. Aside from Brian Giles, there isn't much to fear offensively, either.

SoxFan78
08-05-2005, 10:01 AM
This guy lost all credibility when he ranked the Cell as a worse ball park then Tropicana field.

If everybody on the coasts hates US Cellular field, so shall I!

Ol' No. 2
08-05-2005, 10:12 AM
I know some people love to complain when the Sox are listed as the best in everything, but this guy isn't too far off. If I had to rank the scariest playoff contenders, I'd say:

1.) Houston Astros - No doubt, the scariest playoff team there is. Clemens, Oswalt and Pettitte. Yikes. The Astros got close last year. This year they are more experienced and with a healthy Andy Pettitte, their playoff rotation sets up as the best there is. They have a dominating closer. Their offense is better than it was earlier in the season and you can figure on Jeff Bagwell being back if he can manage to swing a bat, even if it is with pain.

2.) Boston Red Sox - They're still the defending World Champs. As long as Schilling gets moved back in to the rotation, they are the team to beat in the AL.

3.) St. Louis Cardinals - Got to the Series last year. This year they'll have Carpenter pitching in the playoffs, a much improved Matt Morris and their offseason prize of Mark Mulder. That's a much better starting rotation. As long as they can get healthy, their offense and defense will remain about as good as anyone around.

To me, there's a dropoff after the top 3. The other teams have more holes.

4.) Chicago White Sox - I think if the Sox are going to lose in the playoffs, which is possible, it's going to be because of three things. 1.) Lack of experience. 2.) Lack of power pitching. 3.) Lack of impact hitters. Those are my biggest worries and I think those concerns are enough to justify anyone keeping the Sox out of the top of a list of scary teams. If you need proof of these concerns, the Angels supposedly want to face the Sox in the playoffs as the Angels feel the Sox lack of experience could make them an easier opponent.

5.) Atlanta Braves - We know how good John Smoltz is in the playoffs, but can Hudson and Hampton be as effective. And can they really be comfortable counting on Chris Reitsma to close games? Or Kyle Farnsworth and Dan Kolb to setup those games?

6.) LA Angels of Anaheim - After Colon, the rotation isn't all that scary, though John Lackey could change that this year. Their bullpen is about as good as it gets for playoff teams. Aside from Vlad and Anderson, their offense isn't that scary.

7.) Oakland Athletics - I don't know why this guy has the A's so high. Maybe he's a Sox fan. The A's are really scary to us because we can't beat them, especially in their park. Yeah, Zito has pitched better, and Harden has some of the best stuff in baseball, but I don't see them as being that scary to others. If the Yankees pass them up, I think the Yankees are a much scarier playoff team.

8.) San Diego Padres - Aside from Jake Peavy, there isn't a lot to be scared of. The bullpen can be good, but since the Padres starters have trouble keeping the other team from scoring, the pen doesn't get enough chances to shine. Aside from Brian Giles, there isn't much to fear offensively, either.While the Sox TEAM hasn't been to the playoffs in a while, lots of Sox PLAYERS have playoff experience, so I don't think this is really an issue.

Lack of power pitchers? Meh. Good pitching is good pitching.

Lack of impact hitters? What they have has worked pretty well so far. In fact, I like this team better. They had lots of impact hitters in 2000, and none of them could get a ball out of the infield.

So I don't see how you could not put the Sox in the first group. They have strong pitching and can score runs in a lot of different ways. This is at a premium in playoff baseball, and we've seen these same characteristics in recent WS winners.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the Yankees, either. If they can get some of their pitchers back for the playoffs, they could be a formidable opponent for anyone.

Malgar 12
08-05-2005, 10:19 AM

awful.

amen.

Jjav829
08-05-2005, 10:39 AM
While the Sox TEAM hasn't been to the playoffs in a while, lots of Sox PLAYERS have playoff experience, so I don't think this is really an issue.

I wouldn't say that. Here's the playoff experience of the Sox roster:

Players lacking experience: Mark Buehrle (.1 IP), Hermanson (4 IP), Politte, Cotts, Marte, Jenks, Vizcaino, and Garland all have never pitched in the playoffs. The two experienced pitchers are Freddy (34 IP) and El Duque (102 IP).

Hitters: Crede, Uribe, Iguchi, Podsednik, Rowand, Blum and Ozuna have never played a playoff game. Konerko played in 3 games in 2000. Widger has played in 5 games. Everett played in 8 games in 98-99. Pierzynski has played in 14 games. Ditto for Timo. Dye is the team leader, having played in 28 playoff games in his career.

That's not a lot of experience. There are a couple playoff tested players (El Duque, Dye, Freddy), but 5 everyday players, 2 starters and the entire bullpen is basically inexperienced.

Lack of power pitchers? Meh. Good pitching is good pitching.

In the regular season, sure. But in the playoffs, power pitchers have an advantage.

Lack of impact hitters? What they have has worked pretty well so far. In fact, I like this team better. They had lots of impact hitters in 2000, and none of them could get a ball out of the infield.

Fair enough, but don't mistake the 2000 team choking for not needing impact hitters. Can the Sox win without having a true middle-of-the-order threat? Who knows. Maybe they can, but that doesn't mean having someone like a Vlad, Arod, Manny, etc. in the heart of the order wouldn't make this team a lot better.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the Yankees, either. If they can get some of their pitchers back for the playoffs, they could be a formidable opponent for anyone.

Completely agree. A healthy playoff rotation with RJ, Mussina and Pavano can be good. Their offense is there and they are a tremendously experienced playoff team. And the fact that they play 8 inning games (or even a little over 7) because they have quite possibly the best postseason closer in the history of baseball helps them immensely.

SoxFan78
08-05-2005, 10:54 AM
For everybody that brings up playoff experience in teams I only have two words.

Florida Marlins

Iwritecode
08-05-2005, 11:10 AM

Which ones? They've only used about 100 so far this year...

:)

Hitmen77
08-05-2005, 11:10 AM

Totally ridiculous. The Cell worse than the Skydome, Tropicana Field and Shea Stadium? What bull****. Typical anti-Sox crap.

Ol' No. 2
08-05-2005, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't say that. Here's the playoff experience of the Sox roster:

Players lacking experience: Mark Buehrle (.1 IP), Hermanson (4 IP), Politte, Cotts, Marte, Jenks, Vizcaino, and Garland all have never pitched in the playoffs. The two experienced pitchers are Freddy (34 IP) and El Duque (102 IP).

Hitters: Crede, Uribe, Iguchi, Podsednik, Rowand, Blum and Ozuna have never played a playoff game. Konerko played in 3 games in 2000. Widger has played in 5 games. Everett played in 8 games in 98-99. Pierzynski has played in 14 games. Ditto for Timo. Dye is the team leader, having played in 28 playoff games in his career.

That's not a lot of experience. There are a couple playoff tested players (El Duque, Dye, Freddy), but 5 everyday players, 2 starters and the entire bullpen is basically inexperienced.Pierzynski has signifcant playoff experience, as does Everett. 8 and 14 games may not sound like a lot, but they were in the playoffs multiple times each, which IMO counts for more than the number of games. Anyway, IMO, playoff experience is overrated. If it were that important, teams would repeat more often.
In the regular season, sure. But in the playoffs, power pitchers have an advantage.I can't think of any reason that should be true.
Fair enough, but don't mistake the 2000 team choking for not needing impact hitters. Can the Sox win without having a true middle-of-the-order threat? Who knows. Maybe they can, but that doesn't mean having someone like a Vlad, Arod, Manny, etc. in the heart of the order wouldn't make this team a lot better.Granted, having a big bat in the middle of the order would make the team better. But that's not the same as saying not having one is a weakness. You can just as easily say that teams that don't have the ability to manufacture runs like the Sox do have a weakness. At worst, it evens out. But IMO, low scoring playoff baseball favors teams that can manufacture runs.
Completely agree. A healthy playoff rotation with RJ, Mussina and Pavano can be good. Their offense is there and they are a tremendously experienced playoff team. And the fact that they play 8 inning games (or even a little over 7) because they have quite possibly the best postseason closer in the history of baseball helps them immensely.Not to mention that the Yankees have a habit of hanging around and snatching the game in the late innings. People keep counting out the Yankees, but every year they're right there. Frankly, I'm not yet convinced the Red Sox can hold them off, and I doubt the A's can.

Podzilla_40
08-05-2005, 12:25 PM
I'd put us behind St. Louis and Houston, but ahead of Boston. Their pitching is just way too poor, it's so bad the lineup can't even make up for it.

spiffie
08-05-2005, 12:46 PM
I wonder how true the idea of the "low-scoring playoff baseball" is. So just for the heck of it, the averages of runs scored in the 2004 playoffs. The numbers are a bit skewed in the ALCS because of the Yankees having that 19 run game, but overall...

ALDS: New York 5.25, Minnesota 4.25
Boston 8.33, Anaheim 4.00
NLDS: St. Louis 5.50, L.A. 3.00
Houston 7.20, Atlanta 4.20
ALCS: Boston 6.29, New York 6.43
NLCS: St. Louis 4.86, Houston 4.43
WS: Boston 6.00, St. Louis 3.00

Average of winning teams: 6.20
Average of losting teams: 4.19
White Sox Average Runs per game in 2005: 4.93 (7th in MLB)
Average runs scored by a team per game in 2005: 4.63

What does it all mean...hell if I know? But I feel like the Sox have a decent enough offense to deal with playoff baseball.