PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Iguchi With The Blast Post-Game Thread

DumpJerry
08-04-2005, 04:22 PM
70!!!! First ones there!:D:

NSSoxFan
08-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Not only did he have a HR but he had two great defensive plays.

Go Sox!

70 wins on August 4th!

Rocky Soprano
08-04-2005, 04:23 PM
:winner

Great jobs by Iguchi and Rowand!

Fake Chet Lemon
We escaped another Marte outing! :D:

downstairs
10.... check.
20.... check.
30.... check.
40.... check.
50.... check.
60.... check.
70.... check.

SoxFan78
Thank you Tadihito!!

The Gooch is loose!

Cowhead418
08-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Only 3 more wins and we can't lose 90 games!:D:

SoxSpeed22
Not one we should've won, but I don't see anyone complaining.
:supernana::supernana::supernana::supernana::super nana:70!!:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:: bandance:

Now that's 152 Bananas used.

Fake Chet Lemon
Who needed Griffey Jr today? Nice run down on defense too Rowand!

usamominchiastav
The same game as last night, with the teams reversed

Iguchi, dare I say, en fuego?

itsnotrequired
08-04-2005, 04:25 PM
I'll take the W but most of the team's performance should be thrown in the trash.

MarySwiss
Magic number = 42! YESSSS!

And here's something I never thought I'd say--LET'S GO YANKEES!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

itsnotrequired
10.... check.
20.... check.
30.... check.
40.... check.
50.... check.
60.... check.
70.... check.

10...uncheck.

popilius
Way to go, Tadahito!

"The Samurai" strikes again!

:gulp:

rowand33
08-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Great job by Gooch, Rowand, Hermy, and Viz that game.

Decent start out of Jose.

doghouse for Marte and Pods.

let's hope that Carl is ok and we start playing better, because we got lucky today.

let's go get those Ms tomorrow. Go Sox.

jackbrohamer
Twinkies lose 5-2. 16 games out? Am I reading this right?

mrs. hendu
10.... check.
20.... check.
30.... check.
40.... check.
50.... check.
60.... check.
70.... check.

Oh yeah! :D: :bandance: :supernana: :) Feels good.

infohawk
08-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Great win. We needed that one for our sanity as fans. It certainly wasn't life or death, but you never want to get swept by anyone. The great thing about this team is that when they go into a little "funk," they still play better than .500. Past teams would go on long losing streaks when they weren't playing well. The Sox will go on a tear when they begin clicking on all cylinders.

cheeses_h_rice
Twinkies lose 5-2. 16 games out? Am I reading this right?

We're being chased by the Jndjans at this point...Twins are in freefall.

Erik The Red
A win is a win is a win.

P.S.: DJ's home run call still sucks.

downstairs
08-04-2005, 04:28 PM
10...uncheck.

Were we not the first to 10?

I thought we were?

Fake Chet Lemon
08-04-2005, 04:28 PM
let's hope that Carl is ok

Uh oh, hello Joe Borchard?

Taliesinrk
08-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Good thing we went out and got Wagner... Now I'm not a die-hard Hermy fan, but was it just me or was he absolutely lights out today? Maybe Marte could take some lessons...

The Racehorse
08-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Great job by my season's PTC to close it out with an uneventful 9th... Hermy, this one's for you! :gulp:

Unregistered
08-04-2005, 04:30 PM

I thought we were?Pretty sure it was the Dodgers.

SOXPHILE
Whew ! I think I need a defibrillator to restart my heart now. Warts and all, a win's a win though ! Anyone else feel like they've been put through the ringer after this game ?

The Racehorse

I thought we were?

I thought so too... *shrugs shoulders* ...

But 70 is awesome! :bandance:

24thStFan
08-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Iguchi for AL MVP!!!

darklord23
08-04-2005, 04:32 PM
10 more till 80. :smile:

Kogs35
08-04-2005, 04:32 PM
to quote tom dore when the bulls reached 70 wins in march of that season "70 is a reality for the chicago whitesox" good job today gooch!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :gulp: :gulp:

BigEdWalsh
08-04-2005, 04:33 PM
We escaped another Marte outing! :D:

Man, I was ready to come on here and rip Marte, but I won't. ARIGATO, TADAHITO!!
Great job, by Harmanson and Vizciano. I was a Viz-hater but he's winning me over.:smile:

70!!:bandance:

downstairs
08-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Pretty sure it was the Dodgers.

You're right. Just looked up.

Oh well, we'll beat them to 110.

Sxy Mofo
08-04-2005, 04:36 PM
The Sox will go on a tear when they begin clicking on all cylinders.

That's the thing about this team. They have yet to click on all cylinders.

That's ok though, they only need to do that for a month or so starting, oh, right at the beginning of the playoffs.

Unregistered
08-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Crazy. We only have to go 30-25 the rest of the way to win 100 games this season.

Lip Man 1
08-04-2005, 04:37 PM
I'll take the win. Hope Everett is OK. Pods needs to get it going again both hitting and base stealing-wise. When he's going good the offense is more diversified and seems to be more on their toes.

Lip

TheOldRoman
08-04-2005, 04:37 PM
POSITIVE THOUGHT OF THE DAY:
By the end of this month, the Sox will have more wins than they had all of last year.

Just incase anyone needed a reminder of how good this team is or how much we have improved from last year, there it is.

Sxy Mofo
08-04-2005, 04:38 PM
I'll take the win. Hope Everett is OK. Pods needs to get it going again both hitting and base stealing-wise. When he's going good the offense is more diversified and seems to be more on their toes.

Lip

Seems to me he's in a mental slump right now, which i'd assume can happen in base stealing as well as hitting, pitching, etc. Probably just not trusting his reads like he once did. He'll get it back.

TaylorStSox
08-04-2005, 04:39 PM
I take back everything I said about Rowand. :redface:

Like I said before, this team looks real tired. The pitchers look tired and Pods does too. It's been a hard fought season.

gosox83
08-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Not to toot my own horn, But I sure am happy I asked Kenny if he still thought we might sign "the second baseman from Japan" during Soxfest.

As soon as I asked that question the crowd started going nuts behind me yelling "Sign him Kenny, Sign him" Kenny replied "You guys have'nt even seen him play" Then the crowd started yelling, "Yeah, but we've seen Willie Harris" Kenny turned red and said he would like to stay quiet about the possibility of the signing.

AND NOW ........as Ed Farmer would say the Sox took a gamble and it came up ACES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:dtroll: :bandance: :supernana: :gulp: :smile: :smile:

SOXPHILE
08-04-2005, 04:40 PM
How about Farmer's dig at the dopes at Sportscenter. He said that "Now that the Sox have 70 wins, that will make the folks at Sportscenter happy, because they said the Sox would win 72 this year. They're right of course, and they're going to win alot more too."

Mr. White Sox
08-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Seems to me he's in a mental slump right now, which i'd assume can happen in base stealing as well as hitting, pitching, etc. Probably just not trusting his reads like he once did. He'll get it back.

Yep, I agree Sky. If Carl's injury turns out to be serious, KW needs to get a power-hitting DH; Griffey is a big possibility. I'd love to see Iguchi in the 3 hole for the two or three games that Carl is out; Pods/Rowand/Iguchi/Konerko/AJ...that's not too shabby, and I think Iguchi could do some real damage in the #3 spot, and he is easily one of, if not the most complete hitter on this team.

rowand33
08-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Yep, I agree Sky. If Carl's injury turns out to be serious, KW needs to get a power-hitting DH; Griffey is a big possibility. I'd love to see Iguchi in the 3 hole for the two or three games that Carl is out; Pods/Rowand/Iguchi/Konerko/AJ...that's not too shabby, and I think Iguchi could do some real damage in the #3 spot, and he is easily one of, if not the most complete hitter on this team.

you bat Rowand third while Everett is out.

If Everett comes back and Pods is still slumping, I wouldn't mind seeing Gooch-1, Rowand-2, Scotty-9 until Pods finds it

Sxy Mofo
08-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Yep, I agree Sky.

Well, almost.

I don't like iguchi in the third spot, has he batted anywhere other than second this year? Rowand's the guy who can move all around the lineup, move him into the third spot while carl is injured.

shoota
08-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Tadahito Iguchi is the best hitter on this team.

Aaron Rowand is my player of the game though because of his pretty, opposite field, 3-run home run and nice defensive play that saved a run.

I don't like the umpiring skills of Adam Dowdy. He blew a call yesterday that helped Toronto score 4 runs and his strikezone today was bad.

What's going on with Podsednik? Farmer and Rooney wondered if stopped running on his steal attempt because he was verbally faked by a Jays player.

nedlug
08-04-2005, 04:46 PM
you bat Rowand third while Everett is out.

If Everett comes back and Pods is still slumping, I wouldn't mind seeing Gooch-1, Rowand-2, Scotty-9 until Pods finds it

Jerry? Jerry Manuel? Is that you, you little tinkerer you?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/photo/2002_news/m/manuel_jerry/0311_manuel_jerry288.jpg
"This rowand33 guy has got some great ideas!"

TheOldRoman
08-04-2005, 04:53 PM
September 1 can't come soon enough. These are the "dogdays", and it is starting to show. It's such a long season that all teams will slump at some point and all teams will get tired at some point. It appears that the Sox have gotten tired at a point when other teams (except for the Orioles) seem to have gotten their second wind. The Bulls teams in 97 and 98 ran into this around Feb/March. At that point they looked slow, old, and mortal. They got their feet back under them in time for the playoffs, and we remember how that turned out.

The Sox are playing around .500 for the last couple of weeks, and if that is how we "slump", I like out chances of winning 11 games after October 3.

rowand33
08-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Jerry? Jerry Manuel? Is that you, you little tinkerer you?

Not Manuel, just a guy that likes to see us win and doesn't like it when Scotty does is in 2004 Scotty mode. automatic outs suck.

I am confident he'll break out of this August slump (after all, he's just been bad for a couple weeks. before that he was on fire. it just seems like his average has dropped like .15 points lately. and he forgot how to steal)

But if he doesn't... well... we can't wait forever, and Rowand is wasting away batting 7th and has put up the best numbers of his career batting 2nd.

TaylorStSox
08-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Not Manuel, just a guy that likes to see us win and doesn't like it when Scotty does is in 2004 Scotty mode. automatic outs suck.

I am confident he'll break out of this August slump (after all, he's just been bad for a couple weeks. before that he was on fire. it just seems like his average has dropped like .15 points lately. and he forgot how to steal)

But if he doesn't... well... we can't wait forever, and Rowand is wasting away batting 7th and has put up the best numbers of his career batting 2nd.

Have you thought that's he's just worn out from carrying this team for 2/3 of the season? He needs a few more days off to get his legs back.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-04-2005, 05:05 PM

Nowhere but in your wet dreams will you see Aaron Rowand batting #2 this season.

Iguchi is the best hitter this team has.

rowand33
08-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Have you thought that's he's just worn out from carrying this team for 2/3 of the season? He needs a few more days off to get his legs back.

I tried to make it clear that I haven't given up on him in my last post...

I should know better than to post anything other than a puppy dog and ice cream happy, happy thought about any of our players except for guys like Willie and Borchard that have big bullseyes on them.

I apologize if I didn't make myself clear, but what I meant was "On the chance that Pods is in a prolonged slump, I think we could bat Gooch first and Rowand second and not miss a beat"

that's all. not a personal attack on Pods. you're right he has been fantastic. and as a guy that sprints a lot and does heavy weight training on his legs, I can sympathize with his legs being sore.

But if we're being realistic at the moment Pods is an automatic out. Not saying he won't break out of it, but it's the reality of the moment.

rowand33
08-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Nowhere but in your wet dreams will you see Aaron Rowand batting #2 this season.

Iguchi is the best hitter this team has.

no ****.

But if Pods continues to slump, what would you rather have:
a) 1-Timo 2-Gooch
b) 1-slumping Pods 2-Gooch
c) 1-Gooch 2-Rowand

when Rowand is a .351/.397/.511 hitter in the 2 hole and Gooch is straight up awesome, I figure I'll take C.

this was just a hypothetical thing...

in no way did I mean I wanted Rowand to displace Gooch as the regular #2, in no way did I mean that Pods is going to suck forever. I just merely was talking about if he did.

so let's all have a :gulp:and drop it.

JB98
08-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Other than the first inning, we pretty much stunk today. Too many walks, three unearned runs allowed, poor baserunning, lifeless offense from the second inning until Iguchi's HR. Very fortunate win.

Jerome
08-04-2005, 05:15 PM
I would like to see Iguchi lower in the order as well. We know from Japan that the guy can put up power numbers, and with Carl out, we're losing a bit of power there that no one on the current bench can step in and cover. If Dye and Rowand start to heat up (like today :D: ) though then we should be fine it just seems to me like Iguchi is kinda being wasted in the 2.

Sxy Mofo
08-04-2005, 05:20 PM
It's my impression that guillen doesn't want tad batting anywhere other than second for this entire season. I dont' know why this is an issue

BeviBall!
08-04-2005, 05:24 PM
I take back everything I said about Rowand. :redface:

Like I said before, this team looks real tired. The pitchers look tired and Pods does too. It's been a hard fought season.

It's the dog days, my friend. August brings out the worst baseball is all teams.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-04-2005, 05:25 PM
I would like to see Iguchi lower in the order as well. We know from Japan that the guy can put up power numbers, and with Carl out, we're losing a bit of power there that no one on the current bench can step in and cover. If Dye and Rowand start to heat up (like today :D: ) though then we should be fine it just seems to me like Iguchi is kinda being wasted in the 2.

Iguchi is the best #2 in baseball -- and now you want to fix it?
:o:

If you think the Sox need more power, go get Griffey. The offense's problem isn't Iguchi. You don't mess with success.

The offense's problem is relying on Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye as the two best power threats. That's a sure prescription for mediocrity.

voodoochile
08-04-2005, 05:32 PM
no ****.

But if Pods continues to slump, what would you rather have:
a) 1-Timo 2-Gooch
b) 1-slumping Pods 2-Gooch
c) 1-Gooch 2-Rowand

when Rowand is a .351/.397/.511 hitter in the 2 hole and Gooch is straight up awesome, I figure I'll take C.

this was just a hypothetical thing...

in no way did I mean I wanted Rowand to displace Gooch as the regular #2, in no way did I mean that Pods is going to suck forever. I just merely was talking about if he did.

(sorry to delete, I needed the tag room)

Okay, just to respond to this hypothetical, remember who Rowand was batting in front of when he put up those numbers. Frank does that for a lot of guys who hit in front of him.

If you are going to do anything to tweak the lineup at all, you would move Gooch to the three hole and let Rowand bat second, leaving Pods as the leadoff guy, but I don't want to see them rush into anything. If Everett goes down for any length of time, they have to get another bat, period...

Still...

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

TheOldRoman
08-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Okay, just to respond to this hypothetical, remember who Rowand was batting in front of when he put up those numbers. Frank does that for a lot of guys who hit in front of him.

If you are going to do anything to tweak the lineup at all, you would move Gooch to the three hole and let Rowand bat second, leaving Pods as the leadoff guy, but I don't want to see them rush into anything. If Everett goes down for any length of time, they have to get another bat, period...

Still...

You forgot something
:twinslose
They are dead in the water, but it still feels great to say it.

Trav
08-04-2005, 05:45 PM
What makes anyone think we can get Griffey? Teams hate us. People hate us so much they ignore us. When they can't ignore us they diss us. No one is going to allow us to pick up anything. Every team in baseball has a chance to put a claim in on whoever we do. Every team! There isn't anyway the Yankees allow us to get Griffey. The BoSox need an OF and would put a claim in anyways as would the Yankees if they were out of contention. Does anyone really think we could trade for a major bat?

rowand33
08-04-2005, 05:45 PM

Point taken, and I agree that the best solution if Everett goes down for good is to get somebody (though I worry about getting people past the Yanks on the waiver wire)

For what it's worth though (and keep in mind, I dunno when these at bats took place, with Frank or without him)

Last year Rowand was .326/.360/.477 in the 2 hole (132 ABs)

This year, Rowand's .625/.588/1.000 in the 2 hole (only 16 ABs)

Like I said, I dunno if Frank was healthy or not for this.

hypotheticals aside, I feel we'd get the most out of Rowand batting him 2nd or 5th, but those roles are currently filled. but if I see Timo batting leadoff again and Rowand batting 7th, I'm gonna vomit.

balke
08-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Our lineup is fine as it is. I wouldn't mind seeing Gload or someone (Anderson) from the Minors called up if Everett ends up having to miss some time.

Dark Cloud possibility here. Just some negatives on my mind: Blum doesn't seem excited to be here at all, he was a good idea, but he hasn't made a great first impression so far. He's a disaster so far at the plate, and doesn't look like superman at 3rd or SS to me. I think he's got California and his triplets on the mind. Ozuna probably adds more of a spark, and he tries his hardest every play he's out there. He's not as physically gifted at 3rd, but he's not horrible there.

Pods needs to get out of his funk soon, he's not super-pods like he has been all season. Not only is he not stealing bases at will, but he's been looking pretty bad at the plate. Sox scored 7 runs in the past 2 days from the longball, Pods getting on base early can cure that a bit.

Great to see Contreras be a stopper for a change. I wonder if anyone has fewer decisions per amount of starts this season. Maybe something good can come out of Everett being out of the lineup for a couple days, I'd like to see a quicker team that can score without the HR again.

Dark Cloudness over. We're at 70 wins, it'd be great to get to 80 before 40 L's.

havelj
08-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Does anyone know the distance of Carl's blast last night?

Mr. White Sox
08-04-2005, 05:52 PM
If you are going to do anything to tweak the lineup at all, you would move Gooch to the three hole and let Rowand bat second, leaving Pods as the leadoff guy, but I don't want to see them rush into anything.

Yes. The Sox have a far enough lead that they can tinker (just a bit!) and see how Iguchi does in the 3 hole. The three spot is supposed to be reserved for your best overall power hitter on the team. Because Frank's not around anymore, and Carl is, well, Carl, and he's hurt for a little bit, try Iguchi in the three spot for two games against Seattle just to see how he does. He has been on a tear the last week, which coincides amazingly with pods' slump. When Pods isn't on base, Iguchi is changing his approach, hitting with a lot more pop, and not taking as many pitches. This would all just be an "insurance" lineup, because in the worst case scenario, one would hope KW could turn it into a best case scenario and maybe land Griffey. Pods/Rowand/Gooch would be a very cool experiment for a couple of days.

balke
08-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Yes. The Sox have a far enough lead that they can tinker (just a bit!) and see how Iguchi does in the 3 hole. The three spot is supposed to be reserved for your best overall power hitter on the team. Because Frank's not around anymore, and Carl is, well, Carl, and he's hurt for a little bit, try Iguchi in the three spot for two games against Seattle just to see how he does. He has been on a tear the last week, which coincides amazingly with pods' slump. When Pods isn't on base, Iguchi is changing his approach, hitting with a lot more pop, and not taking as many pitches. This would all just be an "insurance" lineup, because in the worst case scenario, one would hope KW could turn it into a best case scenario and maybe land Griffey. Pods/Rowand/Gooch would be a very cool experiment for a couple of days.

I would imagine Dye drops to the 3-hole, AJ to 5 spot, and whatever happens behind that happens. Iguchi isn't moving from the 2 I wouldn't think, he's perfect there. Dye should probably be moved up anyhow, he's swinging really well.

Mr. White Sox
08-04-2005, 05:55 PM
I would imagine Dye drops to the 3-hole, AJ to 5 spot, and whatever happens behind that happens. Iguchi isn't moving from the 2 I wouldn't think, he's perfect there. Dye should probably be moved up anyhow, he's swinging really well.

Why not try Dye in the 4 spot? Just as an experiment, of course, but I still would love to see Pods/Rowand/Iguchi/Dye/Konerko/AJ

Trav
08-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Does anyone know the distance of Carl's blast last night?

460 per DJ.

mcp5185
08-04-2005, 06:41 PM
But if we're being realistic at the moment Pods is an automatic out. Not saying he won't break out of it, but it's the reality of the moment.

I don't think that Scott Podsednik is ever an automatic out. With his speed any ground ball to the left side can become a base hit. He also is second on our team in walks with 38. Since the all star break he still has an obp of .297. He's struggling a little right now, but hopefully he will get more rest and turn it on for the stretch.

chisoxfanatic
08-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Hold on, folks...Hawk said during the broadcast that Everett was announced to have pulled his groin and will only miss 2-3 games. So, he'll miss one series and will be back for the Yankees. That's not gonna be too bad.

As for today's game, Rowand's play in the 8th was money! He shagged the flyball down and didn't let the runner advance. I give Vizcaino major props for coming in with the go-ahead run on 2nd with nobody out and retiring everyone he faced.

70 wins on August 4th??? Who'da thunk it?

MRKARNO
08-04-2005, 07:05 PM
70 wins on August 4th??? Who'da thunk it?

Steve Phillips and Joe Sheehan.....Oh wait that was October 4th, sorry. :D::D:

BeviBall!
08-04-2005, 08:12 PM
What makes anyone think we can get Griffey? Teams hate us. People hate us so much they ignore us. When they can't ignore us they diss us. No one is going to allow us to pick up anything. Every team in baseball has a chance to put a claim in on whoever we do. Every team! There isn't anyway the Yankees allow us to get Griffey. The BoSox need an OF and would put a claim in anyways as would the Yankees if they were out of contention. Does anyone really think we could trade for a major bat?

Just because they can put in a claim doesn't mean that team will trade with them. Most clubs don't have the farm system we do. In fact, none of the contenders really do.

cbone
08-04-2005, 08:28 PM
I heard Ozzie talk about Blum at 1st, Konerko DH while Everret is out. Gotta do what ya gotta do I guess.

Lip Man 1
08-04-2005, 08:52 PM
I'll need some help with this one perhaps Daver or those who know the CBA can fill in the gaps.

The comment was made about the Yankees picking up Griffey. Well some of this is speculation and some of it is based on circumstantial evidence.

The Yankees payroll is over 200 million, I may be wrong but I think the luxury tax rate increases for every year you are over the limit. I thought I read someplace where because of the spending limit and the fact that the Yanks will be over the limit for three straight years the tax rate penalty next season will be something like 40%.

If true that's forty million dollars in tax over and about the team payroll. My point is even the Yankees may be reaching their limits....they just decided not to pick up Bernie Williams' option, and they have had to settle for a number of longshots in an effort to improve their pitching staff. Maybe it's coincidence.....maybe they have decided to start holding the line.

If it's the later they may not want to pick up the rest of Griffey's contract. He is 35 after all.

Lip

BeviBall!
08-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Knock that Magic Number down one more... Yanks score two in the ninth and win.

BeviBall!
08-04-2005, 09:06 PM
I also read that Griffey is due deferred money all the way until 2024! Do you tie up all that money in an old, injury-prone player for one shot at the WS? I'm torn.

The other thing is, if the Yanks claim Junior, it doesn't mean the Reds have to trade him there. If they don't like the offer, back he goes into the waiver pool.

Hell, I can see the Sox putting PK, El Duque, Contreras and a whole slew of others out there just to see what interest they garner from other clubs.

BeviBall!
08-04-2005, 09:08 PM
I heard Ozzie talk about Blum at 1st, Konerko DH while Everret is out. Gotta do what ya gotta do I guess.

Blum looks worthless at the plate right now. He's pressing, so maybe once he gets settled, he'll turn it around.

LuvSox
08-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Knock that Magic Number down one more... Yanks score two in the ninth and win.

:indianslose