PDA

View Full Version : Orioles fire Lee Mazzilli

cheeses_h_rice
08-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Per WSCR.

nodiggity59
08-04-2005, 02:16 PM
WOW. The Orioles truly have no baseball sense at all. Whatever Mazilli's faults, one of them is not their recent slide. They'll rebound but they just aren't THAT good.

Basically, if they ever thought he could be a good manager, then this recent slide should not have caused them to fire him.

The Racehorse
08-04-2005, 02:24 PM
I wonder if there GM was also canned, or if it was just the Mazzilli that was hung out to dry... I mean really, acquiring an obviously washed up Sammy Sosa when no one else would touch him.

The O's organization has gone down hill as a whole once they started to crave
aging, high maintenance sluggers [see Albert Bell].

Fake Chet Lemon
08-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Providing cover for Raffy? Something else to talk about Baltimore wise?

tlebar318
08-04-2005, 02:29 PM
I think he gave the steroids to Palmeiro and someone had to take the fall right?:tongue:

Flight #24
08-04-2005, 02:31 PM
I wonder if there GM was also canned, or if it was just the Mazzilli that was hung out to dry... I mean really, acquiring an obviously washed up Sammy Sosa when no one else would touch him.

The O's organization has gone down hill as a whole once they started to crave
aging, high maintenance sluggers [see Albert Bell].

FWIW, with the cash they got from the Chubs, they effectively got Sham-me on a 1-yr, $8mil deal (IIRC). Certainly overpaying, but not a horrible, franchise-killing type of deal.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-04-2005, 02:32 PM
How can a manager win without any pitching? Just stupid.

The Dude
08-04-2005, 02:34 PM
I agree, the GM should be canned as well. Palmeiro getting released coming next?? Stay tuned

cheeses_h_rice
08-04-2005, 02:39 PM
This sounds like general ass-covering from O's ownership, partially to address the O's poor performance lately (much of which is due to injuries), but mostly to make it seem like they're doing something to punish team management for allowing Raffy to use 'roids. They probably hope this will take some of the heat off the team for the Raffy embarrassment. I wonder if cancelling the Rafael Palmeiro day scheduled for August 14 is next.

tebman
08-04-2005, 02:51 PM
It's confirmed at mlb.com too. This is obviously a change-the-subject and CYA tactic by the Orioles. You can bet there have been and continue to be long, tense meetings with MLB reps, player-union reps, lawyers, PR people, and similar types over this Palmeiro mess. Firing Mazzilli gives them a human sacrifice to deflect attention for a while.

gobears1987
08-04-2005, 02:52 PM
cue Nancy:

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA HEY HEY EY GOODBYE!

jdm2662
08-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Nice, your so called superstar gets busted with 'roids so they fire the mgr. Good job O's!

jackbrohamer
08-04-2005, 02:57 PM
They've done the exact thing as the last several years, have a decent record at the start of the season then fall apart. The only difference this year is they hung on a little longer before imploding.

1951Campbell
08-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Nice, your so called superstar gets busted with 'roids so they fire the mgr. Good job O's!

Or alternatively...is it Mazzilli's fault the O's have little to no pitching?

ChiSoxPatF
08-04-2005, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=The Racehorse]I wonder if there GM was also canned, or if it was just the Mazzilli that was hung out to dry... I mean really, acquiring an obviously washed up Sammy Sosa when no one else would touch him.
QUOTE]

It may not be that easy for them to fire their GM. The O's have 2 GMs that run different aspects of the organization and both are pretty much relegated to yes-man status because of the owner. The entire mismanagement of that franchise is solely at the doorstep of their inept owner. Peter Angelos and his family are complete morons.

This is just a diversion tactic to get everyone in Baltimore to stop talking about Palmeiro. How in the world can you blame any of this on Lee Mazzili?

The Racehorse
08-04-2005, 03:14 PM

It may not be that easy for them to fire their GM. The O's have 2 GMs that run different aspects of the organization and both are pretty much relegated to yes-man status because of the owner. The entire mismanagement of that franchise is solely at the doorstep of their inept owner. Peter Angelos and his family are complete morons.

This is just a diversion tactic to get everyone in Baltimore to stop talking about Palmeiro. How in the world can you blame any of this on Lee Mazzili?

Makes me wonder how a hugely successful lawyer that is Peter Angelos could create such mess of an organization. I would have thought that a lawyers thought-process would preclude questionable decisions such as this... but what do I know, I'm a 40 year old student.

usamominchiastav
08-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Sounds like they are trying to take some press away from Raffy??? I have watched the Sox for a while, and since last year, Hawk was singing praises of Lee, saying the Orioles insider said he was a good one

SoxSpeed22
08-04-2005, 03:31 PM
I think we can all agree that the O's laid an ostrich egg on this one. I also agree on the craving aging sluggers. This is another case of the organization screwin' itself over and the manager takin' the fall for it (see Cubs, Chicago).

JRIG
08-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Even if the O's are just hanging someone out to dry here, it's the right someone.

Mazzilli was a pretty ****ty manager.

thepaulbowski
08-04-2005, 06:06 PM
Even if the O's are just hanging someone out to dry here, it's the right someone.

Well if all you have to manage is ****, then the end result is usually ****ty.

DumpJerry
08-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Makes me wonder how a hugely successful lawyer that is Peter Angelos could create such mess of an organization. I would have thought that a lawyers thought-process would preclude questionable decisions such as this... but what do I know, I'm a 40 year old student.
Well, speaking as a 43 year old lawyer, let me tell you that being successful in litigation (however you define "success") and running a baseball team are completely different from each other.

Ok, so I don't have experience running a baseball team, but if Uncle Jerry wants to give me a spin at the wheel.........:D:

Ol' No. 2
08-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Best thing that could happen to Mazzilli is to get away from that clown shoes organization. Congratulations, Lee.

SOXPHILE
08-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Let's see....

-aging megalomanical player picked up by ownership in the offseason, who, without steroids, is a strikeout waiting to happen, and an all around major suck-fest

-2 starting pitchers hurt by line drives in the span of 4 days, causing them to overuse and tax the bullpen

-another star caught and suspended for using steriods

-an ownership with absolutely no clue, continually signing overpriced, overrated players

Hey, Lee might not have been a good manager, but the stench that the Baltimore Orioles have become is more the fault of those above the manager. See "scapegoat".

Fake Chet Lemon
08-05-2005, 02:28 PM
That bean ball crap proved he is kind of a goof though.

TornLabrum
08-05-2005, 02:59 PM
That bean ball crap proved he is kind of a goof though.

The only bean ball I've seen thrown lately was thrown Tuesday night at Dye.

RKMeibalane
08-06-2005, 05:37 PM

Yes, he was. Apparently, the O's organization had been unhappy with him since the middle of the 2004 season, when they realized that he had no understanding of in-game strategy and decision-making.