PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis Cardinals File For Divorce from KMOX

Viva Medias B's
08-03-2005, 11:07 PM
According to this story (http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=82854) from KSDK-TV in St. Louis, the Cardinals will end their 52-year marriage to KMOX-AM (1120). Next season, KTRS-AM (550) will become the flagship of Cardinal baseball after the Cardinals agreed to purchase 50% of KTRS. KTRS really put up an offer that Infinity-owned KMOX could/would not match.

Jack Buck must be rolling in his grave, and I bet the Cardinals ownership would never have had the nerve to do this if Buck were still alive.

tebman
08-03-2005, 11:28 PM
A shame after all those years, but more of a shame for those (like me) who enjoyed listening to games via KMOX's big 50kW signal. KTRS doesn't have the same throw that KMOX has. Like WMVP, it changes patterns at night.

Here's KTRS in the daytime:

http://www.radio-locator.com/pats/KTRS_AM_LD.gif

And here it is at night -- notice how tightly squeezed the pattern is. It's going to be tough to hear outside St. Louis proper. Hope the Cardinals got lots of money on this deal, because they sure lost lots of coverage:

http://www.radio-locator.com/pats/KTRS_AM_LN.gif

StuForumStuCazzo
08-04-2005, 12:29 AM
:whocares.

LuvSox
08-04-2005, 01:29 AM
:whocares.

Shut up stupid.

StockdaleForVeep
08-04-2005, 03:21 AM
According to this story (http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=82854) from KSDK-TV in St. Louis, the Cardinals will end their 53-year marriage to KMOX-AM (1120). Next season, KTRS-AM (550) will become the flagship of Cardinal baseball after the Cardinals agreed to purchase 50% of KTRS. KTRS really put up an offer that Infinity-owned KMOX could/would not match.

Jack Buck must be rolling in his grave, and I bet the Cardinals ownership would never have had the nerve to do this if Buck were still alive.

This has been a war goin on all summer. I thought somethin was gonna be up with xm radio and the cards tho

skobabe8
08-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Shut up stupid.

Thank you.

Medford Bobby
08-05-2005, 12:05 PM
:smile: This is kinda of a reverse story for the SOX. They will start a long term contract on WCSR a better 50,000 blow torch...despite games availabe on XM and internet.....I guess for Cardinal fan a station totally devoted Cardinal talk would be better than KMOX non baseball talk:o: .

Fenway
08-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Infinity is gearing up for the Mets and Yankees renewals on WCBS and WFAN

Infinity needed the Sox for WSCR...you can't have an all sports station without a team

Red Sox did this in 1975 leaving WHDH for WMEX at the end of the regular season switching for the playoffs.

Only problem WMEX came in clear in Norway, but at night you couldn't hear it at Fenway :?:

Viva Medias B's
08-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Infinity is gearing up for the Mets and Yankees renewals on WCBS and WFAN

Infinity needed the Sox for WSCR...you can't have an all sports station without a team

Red Sox did this in 1975 leaving WHDH for WMEX at the end of the regular season switching for the playoffs.

Only problem WMEX came in clear in Norway, but at night you couldn't hear it at Fenway :?:

Meaning one of the most famous home run calls in history was not heard.

Fenway
08-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Meaning one of the most famous home run calls in history was not heard.

sadly yes

It was SO unlike the Tom Yawkey Red Sox. WHDH had carried the Red Sox since before World War II and suddenly they move from 850 to 1510.

"Game tied, 6-6. Darcy pitching. Fisk takes high and inside, ball one. Freddie Lynn on deck. There have been numerous heroics tonight, both sides. The 0-1 delivery to Fisk. He swings. Long drive, left field! If it stays fair, it's gone! Home run! The Red Sox win! And the Series is tied, three games apiece!" -- Ned Martin

Fenway
08-14-2005, 07:31 PM
a NY writer cries about KMOX

http://www.nypost.com/sports/51860.htm
CARDS CHOOSE BAD DEAL

By PHIL MUSHNICK

BEFORE there was cable TV and satellite radio and superstations and Web casts and the Los Angeles Dodgers and the San Francisco Giants, there was KMOX, 1120 AM, in St. Louis.

Before TBS wishfully designated the Braves "America's Team," America's first genuine America's Team was the St. Louis Cardinals. That's because the Cards were heard over KMOX.

And KMOX, at night, was heard just about everywhere.

"On a good night," Curt Smith, the noted baseball broadcasting historian, told us Friday, "KMOX could be heard in 40 states."

KMOX was why the kid who moved to town from Memphis was a Cards fan. KMOX is why the kid who grew up down the street was, like his dad, a Cards fan. His dad grew up near Tulsa, listening to Cards' games on KMOX.

Before the Dodgers and Giants moved west, the Cards were Major League Baseball's most southern and western team. At night, KMOX was heard, clearly, in Nevada, Arizona, West Virginia, Massachusetts, Idaho and Colorado.

KMOX was why, or so I've been told, Stan Musial, throughout the 1950s and into the 1960s, was more beloved by more people than Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams combined.

When I was a kid, growing up on Staten Island, KMOX had a profound impact on me. The station wasn't about to make me a Cards fan, but it absolutely butchered my perception of U.S. geography.

With the transistor radio switched on and hidden under the pillow, KMOX came in clearer than did White Sox games over WCFL and Tigers games over WJR. Thus, my sense of geography, dictated by the strength of signal that carried baseball games, was west-to-east; it was backward. St. Louis, I figured, was closer to Staten Island than Chicago, which was closer to Staten Island than Detroit.

KMOX, along with Anheuser-Busch, was a factor in why Cardinals announcers, from Dizzy Dean to Jack Buck, had an advantage in landing national Game of the Week and World Series radio and TV assignments.

By 1964, KMOX's Herculean Cardinal signal, was carried by more than 100 radio stations. In Colorado, Arkansas, South Dakota and Mississippi, if they were listening to Major League Baseball, they were listening to Cardinals games.

Last week, the Cards announced that after this season, their 52nd consecutive on KMOX, the club's rights will belong to KTRS, a station with a night signal so weak that, according to the St. Louis Dispatch, it doesn't even reach the entire St. Louis metropolitan area.

It's all about - take a wild guess - money. KMOX, paying $6.7 million per year, wanted a rights reduction. MLB's unilateral sale of all teams' radio rights to XM satellite radio has created a sense of diminished value among teams' local-radio-rights holders.

With teams increasingly owning their own TV and radio networks, the Cards bought a half stake in KTRS, which can promote/sell the club, a la the Yankees' YES Network, 24/7/365.

Now the Cards must scramble to network the team through smaller stations in nearby cities and towns that for 52 years had Cardinals broadcasts delivered by KMOX. The Cards' AM radio signal next year will be reduced from a near national one to, at best, a local one.

"This is reminiscent of 1989, when MLB, under Peter Ueberroth, sold its national TV rights to CBS [for more money than NBC had been paying]," Smith said. "CBS then nearly eliminated the national TV Game of the Week. It took years to correct that mistake.

"It's another example of sports disconnecting a feeding tube, clogging a vital artery. KMOX was why Busch Stadium, on weekends, was like Mecca, with Cardinals fans from all over the country in pilgrimage to St. Louis.

"Over KMOX, the Cards were known for Harry Caray. Now they seem eager to commit hari-kari. It's incredibly stupid. What good is half-ownership in a station that can't even be heard at night?" You can't, ya know, stand in the way of progress.