PDA

View Full Version : cat bird's seat

sthbndsox
08-03-2005, 10:13 PM
I hear Hawk use the phrase "He's in the cat bird's seat" on 2-0 or 3-1 counts. Does anyone know what it means or where it comes from?

SoxFan76
08-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Well I don't know....but we all know having a 2-0 3-1 count means you are very much in control. A "cat-bird" seat must have to do with being in control, about to pounce on something if it is really referring to cats and birds.

Chisox353014
08-03-2005, 10:50 PM
A quick google reveals the origin to be a James Thurber short story. (http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-cat2.htm)

Optipessimism
08-03-2005, 11:16 PM
A quick google reveals the origin to be a James Thurber short story. (http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-cat2.htm)

Somebody should email Hawk and ask him that question. I'd looove to hear him talk about a bird perching in a tree to sing a song.

Evman5
08-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Well I don't know....but we all know having a 2-0 3-1 count means you are very much in control. A "cat-bird" seat must have to do with being in control, about to pounce on something if it is really referring to cats and birds.

It definitely means to be in control, but I always a catbird seat was the seat at the top of a pole on a ship or something. You know the place where the man with the telescope sits and shouts "Land-Ho!" I guess that person is high above everybody and in control of the situation.

sthbndsox
08-03-2005, 11:54 PM
Somebody should email Hawk and ask him that question. I'd looove to hear him talk about a bird perching in a tree to sing a song.

I emailed him the question, but it didn't get answered. Oh well, what else is new?

TornLabrum
08-04-2005, 12:10 AM
It definitely means to be in control, but I always a catbird seat was the seat at the top of a pole on a ship or something. You know the place where the man with the telescope sits and shouts "Land-Ho!" I guess that person is high above everybody and in control of the situation.

Sitting in the catbird seat means "to be in an advantageous position." You're thinking of the crow's nest.

BTW, Red Barber used to describe his position in the booth at Ebbets Field as being in the catbird seat.

slavko
08-04-2005, 12:49 AM
Birds have a survival technique wherein they start a mighty squawking to warn their kind whenever their enemy, the cat, appears on the scene. The highest bird on the tree, watching for our furry friends, would be the catbird.

So.ILSoxFan
08-04-2005, 02:24 AM
Birds have a survival technique wherein they start a mighty squawking to warn their kind whenever their enemy, the cat, appears on the scene. The highest bird on the tree, watching for our furry friends, would be the catbird.

I like this explaination better than the long-winded boring google story

:cool:

Evman5
08-04-2005, 02:27 AM
Sitting in the catbird seat means "to be in an advantageous position." You're thinking of the crow's nest.

BTW, Red Barber used to describe his position in the booth at Ebbets Field as being in the catbird seat.

Ahh thank you. Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

sthbndsox
08-04-2005, 03:08 AM

Thanks.

Mr. White Sox
08-04-2005, 03:18 AM
I like this explaination better than the long-winded boring google story

:cool:

It's actually a good story! I remember reading it in 8th or 9th grade and really liking it. But yes, being in the cat-bird seat is to be in control or in good command of a situation.

I've sent three questions to Hawk, and got one answered like 3 years ago. It was about Barry Bonds and whether or not his "arm armor" was fair. Hawk and DJ actually got into a heated discussion regarding pitchers, hitters protecting themselves, and they even got into steroids for some reason. :smile: I was proud of myself.

The Dude
08-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Hawk just read an email with this. Great stuff whoever emailed him.

sthbndsox
08-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Hawk just read an email with this. Great stuff whoever emailed him.

Yea, that was mine. I about freaked when I heard my name on there, I didn't expect for it to get read.

Evman5
08-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Yea, that was mine. I about freaked when I heard my name on there, I didn't expect for it to get read.

That was pretty funny. Hawk was like....I love Tweetie Bird!