PDA

View Full Version : Is Derrek Lee coming back to Earth?

rowand33
08-03-2005, 06:53 PM
over the last 10 games,

Lee is hitting .250 with 1 homer, 2 RBI, and only 2 extra base hits (the homer and the double).

post all star break, he's hitting .286

the guy's already got a career high in HR, and is hitting 90 points above his career average.

is it possible that Derrek Lee has a human second half?
:fingers crossed:

cause y'know, if he won the triple crown and the sox won the world series we'd still have to somehow listen to ridiculous trash talking from Cubs fans.

At least, I know I would.

miker
08-03-2005, 06:59 PM
cause y'know, if he won the triple crown and the sox won the world series we'd still have to somehow listen to ridiculous trash talking from Cubs fans...At least, I know I would.
That's why you must learn to ignore the Cub fans...

rowand33
08-03-2005, 07:03 PM

hard when they're some of you best friends.

And god they can be annoying.

the actions and attitudes of my friends in the 2003 playoffs turned me from a Sox fan into a Sox fan and Cub fan hater.

Daver
08-03-2005, 07:04 PM
:whocares

white sox bill
08-04-2005, 10:33 AM
D Lee is actually one of the few cubs I like, he seems well grounded and doesn't showboat. Him and Prior are welcome on my team anyday!

ChiSoxPatF
08-04-2005, 10:41 AM
I don't mind DLee for the simple fact that I find him to be the embodiment of all things wrong with Cubs fans. They cheer mindlessly for the guy that drove in the tying run in the Bartman meltdown and most of them do not even realize this fact. They speak of him like he's always been a Cub and fail to realize that he should probably be one of the greatest villians in their history.... but they're too ignorant to realize it.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing him come down to earth cause that team would be absolutely terrible without him hitting .375 and hitting everything outta the park.

SOXPHILE
08-04-2005, 11:10 AM
I do like Derek Lee, and he is a very good ballplayer. However, this Triple Crown drumbeat they started in early June was asinine. He will finish very high in batting average, rbi's and homeruns, but he won't win the triple crown. I even have a bet with someone that he won't finish #1 in ANY of the three catagories. Top 5, sure. But not #1.

Iwritecode
08-04-2005, 11:46 AM
I don't mind DLee for the simple fact that I find him to be the embodiment of all things wrong with Cubs fans. They cheer mindlessly for the guy that drove in the tying run in the Bartman meltdown and most of them do not even realize this fact. They speak of him like he's always been a Cub and fail to realize that he should probably be one of the greatest villians in their history.... but they're too ignorant to realize it.

If I were a Cub fan I'd love having him on my team too. You can't fault DLee for Alex Gonzales booting that easy grounder, Baker not coming out to calm his pitcher down, Prior for giving up all those runs, etc...

It's the same thing with us and AJ this year. He kicked our asses for years while in Minnesota and I hated him there. But now he's a big part of the awesome season the Sox are having so I'll cheer for him.

PAPChiSox729
08-04-2005, 11:49 AM
I do like Derek Lee, and he is a very good ballplayer. However, this Triple Crown drumbeat they started in early June was asinine. He will finish very high in batting average, rbi's and homeruns, but he won't win the triple crown. I even have a bet with someone that he won't finish #1 in ANY of the three catagories. Top 5, sure. But not #1.

Wow, I did not realize how much he has fallen. He is only batting eight points higher than Cabrera and is currently tied with Dunn and Andruw Jones for the HR lead. I have always found Derrek Lee to be a pretty good guy, a good player, that is unfortunately having to play for the Cubs.

GAsoxfan
08-04-2005, 12:03 PM
I still can't believe the Marlins traded Lee for Hee-Seop Choi. If I were a Marlins fan I would be pissed at ownership. Those cheap bastards! They could have re-signed Lee for less then they ended up giving Delgado.

Tekijawa
08-04-2005, 12:04 PM
When did he leave Earth? Does Dusty know about this?

jdm2662
08-04-2005, 12:18 PM
It was VERY hard for him to keep hitting at the pace he was all year. He literally carried that team on his ass for much of the year. He's one of the few Cubs I do respect.

Let the Cub fans have their triple crown threat. I will take wins over a single players performance any day (although, he deserves props for what he's done so far).

SOXSINCE'70
08-04-2005, 01:29 PM

It's hard when you can't disown your family.:D: :D:

PatK
08-04-2005, 02:24 PM
I thought I posted this, but maybe I didn't.

But Derek Lee whines at the plate as much as anybody I can think of. Any time a strike gets called that he doesn't swing at, you can see him pout.

He's forgotten that before this year, he's a career .265 hitter, not a career .325+

ChiSoxPatF
08-04-2005, 02:38 PM
I thought I posted this, but maybe I didn't.

But Derek Lee whines at the plate as much as anybody I can think of. Any time a strike gets called that he doesn't swing at, you can see him pout.

He's forgotten that before this year, he's a career .265 hitter, not a career .325+

Don't forget his quote in the Trib: "Hitting .400 isn't as hard as everyone thinks it is."

Umm, yes Derek, it is.

DumpJerry
08-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Ignore Flub fans? That is like ignoring two cats squaring off in the alley behind your house.....it's like ignoring two dozen fingernails scratching down a blackboard for 20 minutes non-stop. Try as you may, they cannot be truly tuned out. That is why I would abhor a Sox-Flub World Series-I'd have to listen to excuses and a new list of curses for the next twelve months after the Sox humiliate them.

D. Lee is everything Scammy wasn't. Modest. I liked the fact that he was kicking butt in the NL, it really showed (shows) how lousy the Flubs are since their record is mediocre with his numbers. The fact that Flub fans cheer for the guy who tied up Game 6 against them is not a fault. After all, if we did not cheer for current Sox players who once hurt us while on another team Comiskey would be a very quiet place to play in......about the only guys we could cheer for are Garland and Buehrle (every fifth day), ARow, Iguchi, and Paulie (who did not face us when he was with the Dodgers). Garcia, Contreras, Hernandez, AJ, Dye, Pods are among the players we would sit on our hands for........

Rocky Soprano
08-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Don't forget his quote in the Trib: "Hitting .400 isn't as hard as everyone thinks it is."

Umm, yes Derek, it is.

I would of asked him, so how come you've never done it?

34rancher
08-04-2005, 03:56 PM
I hope not. I hope he wins the batting title, as my $50 bet on him at 20-1 in Vegas would like to be filled. :cool:

RavenswoodFan
08-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Batting Average: 1st Miguel Cabrera .352
2nd D. Lee .350

Home Runs: 1st Andruw Jones 35
2nd D. Lee 33

Runs Batted In 1st Carlos Lee 90
2nd Albert Pujols 89
3rd D. Lee 87

So much for the Triple Crown!!!!:)

Kuzman
08-08-2005, 01:07 PM
I would have really liked to see him do the triple crown. I'm not saying its over but it is. I personally like Derrek and would love for him to be playing 1st base for us one day.

RavenswoodFan
08-08-2005, 01:17 PM
I would have really liked to see him do the triple crown. I'm not saying its over but it is. I personally like Derrek and would love for him to be playing 1st base for us one day.

I like D. Lee as a player, but I just can't stand the thought of the Flubbie fans having something to cheer about! As of last week I was hearing Flub fans talking about how Lee was going to win the T.C.! Yuck! Any reason for those morons to be happy make me want to...:chunks

nedlug
08-08-2005, 01:26 PM
I heard (so maybe it is or isn't true) that DLee said that hitting .400 "isn't really that difficult." Now, if he actually said this, I wouldn't like him to win the Triple Crown or hit .400. That's a ridiculous statement to make, and (if true) shows that he is a self-inflated guy with no knowledge of the history of the game.

If he didn't, in fact, say something like that, then I wouldn't mind him getting the Triple Crown at all. In fact, I'd love to had this conversation with a Cub fan...

Cub fan: Our guy won the Triple Crown!
Me: My team won the World Championship!
Cub fan: But our guy's better than any of your guys...
Me: And my team's better than your team every will be...

nedlug
08-08-2005, 01:31 PM
I heard (so maybe it is or isn't true) that DLee said that hitting .400 "isn't really that difficult." Now, if he actually said this, I wouldn't like him to win the Triple Crown or hit .400. That's a ridiculous statement to make, and (if true) shows that he is a self-inflated guy with no knowledge of the history of the game.

If he didn't, in fact, say something like that, then I wouldn't mind him getting the Triple Crown at all. In fact, I'd love to had this conversation with a Cub fan...

Cub fan: Our guy won the Triple Crown!
Me: My team won the World Championship!
Cub fan: But our guy's better than any of your guys...
Me: And my team's better than your team every will be...

And here's a Cubune headline if this happens:
DLee wins hallowed Triple Crown - Sox only win 'Championship'
Tribune crack investigative team discover that only one person has won the Triple Crown in the last 40 years, while 39 teams have won the World Series.
Sullivan: Why the Triple Crown is more important than the World Series, p.2

RavenswoodFan
08-08-2005, 01:39 PM
And here's a Cubune headline if this happens:
DLee wins hallowed Triple Crown - Sox only win 'Championship'
Tribune crack investigative team discover that only one person has won the Triple Crown in the last 40 years, while 39 teams have won the World Series.
Sullivan: Why the Triple Crown is more important than the World Series, p.2

:kneeslap:So true!!!!:rolleyes:

BigEdWalsh
08-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Is Derrek Lee coming back to earth? Well, he's getting there. About .280 would be back to earth. He's obviously having a career year. It's beginning to remind me of when Andre Dawson hit better than he ever had and the Cubs stunk.