PDA

View Full Version : OF Prospects

Knucksie
08-03-2005, 06:44 PM
All this talk of the great outfield prospects the SOX have in Anderson, Sweeney, Young, Owens, etc and some of the views on here remembering former pitchers that turned into busts (referencing to McCarthy, etc) like Bolton, Ruffcorn, etc makes me wonder...

Is this group of outfielders really that good? It wasn't that long ago that we had another core group of OF that came up around the same time that turned out pretty good in C. Lee, Cameron and Ordonez. Then again, we also had the group of McKay Christenson, J. Liefer and Abbott that didn't pan out and were pretty much busts (with each of them showing a few flashes of brilliance I suppose).

Which way will this current group go and why?

Daver
08-03-2005, 07:03 PM
All this talk of the great outfield prospects the SOX have in Anderson, Sweeney, Young, Owens, etc and some of the views on here remembering former pitchers that turned into busts (referencing to McCarthy, etc) like Bolton, Ruffcorn, etc makes me wonder...

Is this group of outfielders really that good? It wasn't that long ago that we had another core group of OF that came up around the same time that turned out pretty good in C. Lee, Cameron and Ordonez. Then again, we also had the group of McKay Christenson, J. Liefer and Abbott that didn't pan out and were pretty much busts (with each of them showing a few flashes of brilliance I suppose).

Which way will this current group go and why?

Comparing pitchers to position players is comparing apples to cocanuts, pitching is almost all mental, playing outfield is almost all ability. Projections can be made either way, but those projections will be far closer to correct with a position player than with a pitcher.

And for the record, Carlos Lee was signed as a third baseman, played that position for the most part in the minors, and was moved to left field at the MLB level.

Knucksie
08-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Comparing pitchers to position players is comparing apples to cocanuts, pitching is almost all mental, playing outfield is almost all ability. Projections can be made either way, but those projections will be far closer to correct with a position player than with a pitcher.

And for the record, Carlos Lee was signed as a third baseman, played that position for the most part in the minors, and was moved to left field at the MLB level.

I realize that C. Lee was originally a 3B, but he was moved to the outfield and played along side Cameron and Maggs. My point was that they were a very good young outfield.

For the record, I didn't mean to compare pitchers to position players. I realize they are very different so I wasn't comparing apples to oranges or even "cocanuts" What I meant was that with some of the recent talk of trades and it being mentioned that there is no gaurantee with prospects (no sure things) that it made me start to think "Are we, as fans, and the SOX as an organization, overvaluing our current group of sox outfielders.

BTW, I don't think playing the outfield is all ability and your analysis makes it sound pretty easy to project an outfielder. If it were that simple, Corey Patterson would be headed to the HOF.

Daver
08-03-2005, 08:33 PM
BTW, I don't think playing the outfield is all ability and your analysis makes it sound pretty easy to project an outfielder. If it were that simple, Corey Patterson would be headed to the HOF.

I was using a very broad generality, that is my fault.

What is the value of any prospect that has no experience at the MLB level?

Exactly what their trade value is. Do the Sox overvalue their prospects, or are other teams undervaluing their worth?

No prospect is a sure thing, all of them are a gamble, a crapshoot. Joe Borchard is a prime example of that, a ton of potential that can't put his head together enough to pull it all together. Pitchers are a much bigger crapshoot than any other position, because one small injury from making a motion that the human arm was not designed to make will end a career now.

rdivaldi
08-04-2005, 10:43 AM
I think this crop of outfielders is good. While I'm not a fan of Anderson, I think he could make a major league roster as a 4th outfielder and perhaps start one day. Sweeney and Young are oozing with talent, both could be stars one day. Let's also not forget Owens, he was a very highly regarded prospect in the Expos/Nationals system.

I doubt they'll be as successful as Maggs or Lee, but that's okay. Not too often that a farm system produces guys of that caliber so closely together.

Chisoxfn
08-04-2005, 01:22 PM
I think this crop of outfielders is good. While I'm not a fan of Anderson, I think he could make a major league roster as a 4th outfielder and perhaps start one day. Sweeney and Young are oozing with talent, both could be stars one day. Let's also not forget Owens, he was a very highly regarded prospect in the Expos/Nationals system.

I doubt they'll be as successful as Maggs or Lee, but that's okay. Not too often that a farm system produces guys of that caliber so closely together.
Imo, your under-rating Anderson. He has put up good numbers every where he goes and is a very good athlete. Will be a plus defensive outfielder in LF,CF, or RF. The big thing is for him to be a middle of the order guy, he will have to continue to improve his plate discipline.

SoxxoS
08-04-2005, 01:32 PM

That bothers me that you aren't that high on Anderson...I remember you weren't that high on Jeremy Reed and it looks like you were dead on for that prediction (although it's early).

Randar68
08-04-2005, 01:51 PM
That bothers me that you aren't that high on Anderson...I remember you weren't that high on Jeremy Reed and it looks like you were dead on for that prediction (although it's early).

In the times I've seen Anderson play, I've never been disappointed. His OF defense is stellar, he has deceptive speed in CF although he'll never be a basestealer.

He has moved up at least 1 level every year and hit very well each time. And if you follow his numbers over the year, the walks have generally gone up and the K's down the longer he's had at each stop.

Is he a .330+ hitter like he looked in BHam? No.

But, is he a .300 hitter? I think he could be. I think he could be a .280 hitter today in the majors and in USCF, I think he's a 20 HR guy out of the gate. He may strike out 100 times in his rookie season, but I also think he'll improve over time as he's always shown a knack for...

Smart player who makes adjustments and hits the ball hard regularly. What's not to like?

rdivaldi
08-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Smart player who makes adjustments and hits the ball hard regularly. What's not to like?

I guess I just don't like him at the dish. It's kind of like he has no plan when he goes up there and just wings it. Sometimes he's just looks flat out lost. His talent alone have gotten him this far, but I just don't think he'll be able to make the next step without severe growing pains. He doesn't really have a fast bat, and like I said before he sometimes just looks lost.

I really hope I'm wrong, but Brian just doesn't look to be a future force at the plate in my opinion. He looks like a utility outfielder to me.

California Sox
08-04-2005, 08:51 PM
But Kenny must love Anderson, otherwise he would not have traded Reed then (supposedly) included Chris Young in the trade for Griffey. Personally, of everyone in our farm system the person I would not trade is Young, but I'm not the GM. He has those scary tools that might come back to haunt you. Of course, he's anything but a sure thing.

Mohoney
08-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Like Randar said, Brian Anderson has had success everywhere he has been, except for maybe the Arizona Fall League, and I think that maybe he was burned out by that time of year.

I can't bring myself to start worrying about prospects like him until they show me something to worry about. Projecting him as a career 4th OF at this point is way too premature.

maurice
08-05-2005, 04:07 PM
It's kind of like he has no plan when he goes up there and just wings it.

I can't disagree, but he also has shown the ability to make adjustments. IMHO, this pretty much describes Carlos Lee also, and I'd be very pleased if Anderson could match Lee's offensive production, while providing stellar defense. I'm certainly not convinced that he'll be as good as Lee at the plate, but IMHO at least .275 / 20 HR is likely pretty much every season. That type of floor will have him patrolling somebody's CF soon and for a long time.

Podzilla_40
08-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Where in the order would a guy like Anderson go? 5th or 6th? Also, what kind of arm does he have?

Randar68
08-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Where in the order would a guy like Anderson go? 5th or 6th? Also, what kind of arm does he have?

Few CF'ers in the game could match his arm.

Where would he hit? Initially, probably somewhere like 7th, but he'd be a good #5 or 6 hitter down the road, IMO.