PDA

View Full Version : USA TOday: Sox trading Borchard for Sean Burroughs?

Flight #24
08-03-2005, 12:31 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/columnist/white/2005-08-03-leading-off_x.htm

The Padres plan to trade third baseman Sean Burroughs to the White Sox this week for Triple-A outfielder Joe Borchard.

Not a bad move, since Joe won't be able to stay in the org unless he's up with the big club next year. Get some value for him, even if it's just an insurance 3B.

Then there's this lil nugget:
The White Sox believe that Frank Thomas' ankle injury will require further surgery that will end his career
:o: :o: :o: :o:

SoxxoS
08-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Burroughs needs some of that Winstrol Palmiero was taking...he would be a hell of a player with some power numbers.

rmusacch
08-03-2005, 12:36 PM

Not a bad move, since Joe won't be able to stay in the org unless he's up with the big club next year. Get some value for him, even if it's just an insurance 3B.

Why the hell would the Sox trade for Burroughs when they already have a backup third baseman in Blum. I call BS on this.

Ol' No. 2
08-03-2005, 12:36 PM
What's Burrough's contract situation?

Tekijawa
08-03-2005, 12:37 PM
I'll pick him up at the Airport!

NSSoxFan
08-03-2005, 12:41 PM
I don't understand this. Does this mean Joe's back is getting worse??

Ol' No. 2
08-03-2005, 12:42 PM
I'll pick him up at the Airport!While you're there, hang around baggage claim for a while. You know what to do.

Goose
08-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Can someone please provide some clarity...

I am not very clear on the subtleties of waiver trades (although I got a better idea with some of the threads over the past few days), but I was under the impression that we cannot make a trade with a team outside of a waiver situation. Does that apply to minor league players? I see that Burroughs is listed on the 40 man roster, but not on the active roster, which means that they are both in the minors...do they not have to go through the same process as active players?

Thanks for your input.

TaylorStSox
08-03-2005, 12:54 PM
I doubt Burroughs would be up with the club. I'd imagine he'd be playing for the Knights. Greg Norton your plane has arrived.

Flight #24
08-03-2005, 12:55 PM
What's Burrough's contract situation?

Ask and ye shall receive, per MLB4U.com:

Sean Burroughs: signed deal for 2005 season worth 1.675M on 1/18/05- + he can make 200K in bonuses based on PA: 50K bonus if he reaches 565PA and then 50K more for each increment of 10PA more up to 595PA Service time: 2.134

As for why they do this, they were going to lose Joe for nothing after this year (unless he makes the team). This gives them a guy under contract for a while who similar to Joe was at one time a hot prospect.

All I don't get is that he actually makes decent coin. Unless they can reduce that $$$, he'll be overpaid.

bumptious96
08-03-2005, 12:58 PM
This is coming from the same guy that said a deal for Huff and Baez was already done. Then ESPN Radio got a hold of it and reported it and never followed up, causing a huge thread on this sight. I trust Bob Nightengale as much as I'd trust Michael Jackson with my kids...if I had any...I hope I don't...

Tragg
08-03-2005, 01:06 PM
If he could be consistent with his OBP he might be okay. He has no power.
We're going to lose a lot of power off this team after this season, and we need to replace it with power or OBP. We're close to the bottom on OBP and close to the top in runs scored, and it isn't all due to sacrifices - homers have helped a lot.

maurice
08-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Hmmm. Borch was held out of the Knights' lineup yesterday. Interesting that KW is loading up on 3Bs with disappointing offensive production, now that Crede's contract is almost up and his back in question.

I doubt Burroughs would be up with the club. I'd imagine he'd be playing for the Knights. Greg Norton your plane has arrived.

I don't know about that. Norton's posting .310 AVE, .383 OBP, .504 SLG. Yesterday, he was 3-4 with a HR and 3 RBI. Isn't it more likely that Burroughs replaces the recently demoted Leo Daigle?

TaylorStSox
08-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Hmmm. Borch was held out of the Knights' lineup yesterday. Interesting that KW is loading up on 3Bs with disappointing offensive production, now that Crede's contract is almost up and his back in question.

I don't know about that. Norton's posting .310 AVE, .383 OBP, .504 SLG. Yesterday, he was 3-4 with a HR and 3 RBI. Isn't it more likely that Burroughs replaces the recently demoted Leo Daigle?

I didn't realize Daigle was demoted. Norton's only value to the organization is making Charlotte competitive. Burroughs still has minor prospect status. If the team was in a situation to choose between the 2, then it's a no brainer. With Daigle being demoted, then it's a non issue.

rowand33
08-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Burroughs for Borchard is a steal.

look at his 2003 and 2004.

2004: .298 AVG .348 OBP
2005: .286 AVG .352 OBP

Burroughs, at some point in his career, has had success at the major league level.

Borchard...

Borchard sucks.

TaylorStSox
08-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Burroughs for Borchard is a steal.

look at his 2003 and 2004.

2004: .298 AVG .348 OBP
2005: .286 AVG .352 OBP

Burroughs, at some point in his career, has had success at the major league level.

Borchard...

Borchard sucks.

Your opinion...

Your opinion sucks.

Tragg
08-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Being only moderately familiar with the Sox farm system, and, at that, with the top prospects, I ask - is this Norton our old friend Greg Norton?

If he is, is he really anything other than an "organizational minor leaguer" from hereon out?

rowand33
08-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Your opinion...

Your opinion sucks.

explain to me how Joe Borchard has any value

maurice
08-03-2005, 02:02 PM
is this Norton our old friend Greg Norton?

Yes.

If he is, is he really anything other than an "organizational minor leaguer" from hereon out?

No.

podserifik!
08-03-2005, 02:06 PM
Would this move make any sense at all to do?

When is this supposed to happen?

Flight #24
08-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Would this move make any sense at all to do?

When is this supposed to happen?

(sigh) Am I really on that many people's "ignore" list?

As for why they do this, they were going to lose Joe for nothing after this year (unless he makes the team). This gives them a guy under contract for a while who similar to Joe was at one time a hot prospect.

podserifik!
08-03-2005, 02:18 PM
There is no point in this trade and this thread is stupid and pointless please distroy it.

Flight #24
08-03-2005, 02:21 PM
There is no point in this trade and this thread is stupid and pointless please distroy it.

You'd rather release Joe Borchard after the season? Or maybe you'd prefer to keep him on the major league roster next year? Those are the only alternatives, IIRC.

Tekijawa
08-03-2005, 02:23 PM

Newbe Angst...

podserifik!
08-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Ya because Joe Borchard sucks and we would not get much for him.
We dont need burroughs we just need to win.

TaylorStSox
08-03-2005, 02:34 PM
explain to me how Joe Borchard has any value

Borchard doesn't have any value and I'd make the trade in a heartbeat. I just don't like people trashing Borchard.

Tragg
08-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Ya because Joe Borchard sucks and we would not get much for him.
We dont need burroughs we just need to win.

2 reasons I can think of.

1)Crede back insurance

2)Future. Decision needs to be made on Crede after this year, and he seems to still have trade value. We could trade him for more than we pay for Burroughs.

Personally, I like Crede - I like his D; I think his hitting will get better (sheer projection on my part, completely scorned by many); although his hitting is below par, I give him credit for having a power stroke, such that his bad OBP et al are better with the power than without it.

podserifik!
08-03-2005, 02:39 PM
I think crede is a good player. I think he will have a huge break out season next year and I don't think we need burroughs.

The Dude
08-03-2005, 02:40 PM
2 reasons I can think of.

1)Crede back insurance

2)Future. Decision needs to be made on Crede after this year, and he seems to still have trade value. We could trade him for more than we pay for Burroughs.

Personally, I like Crede - I like his D; I think his hitting will get better (sheer projection on my part, completely scorned by many); although his hitting is below par, I give him credit for having a power stroke, such that his bad OBP et al are better with the power than without it.

Third reason, Pods is a :dtroll:

podserifik!
08-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Is that a Sasquatch? or what does that mean?

rowand33
08-03-2005, 02:43 PM
it means troll.

this is a good trade. Burroughs could be a good bench player next year.

and maybe Joey's back is worse than we thought.

podserifik!
08-03-2005, 02:44 PM
How am I a troll and I am not quite sure what it means.

I don't think this trade will happen who said it was and when is it going to happen?

MIgrenade
08-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Is that a Sasquatch? or what does that mean?

It means you aren't long for this board unless you think about what you are writing.

Flight #24
08-03-2005, 02:49 PM
How am I a troll and I am not quite sure what it means.

I don't think this trade will happen who said it was and when is it going to happen?

Troll = someone posting crap just to stir up responses.

People are giving you the benefit of the doubt and calling you that rather than.....well.....slow.

One more time: Joe borchard cannot remain with the Sox next year in the minor leagues. They must keep him on the major league team or release him.

Trading him to another team for a player that they CAN keep in the minor leagues lets them effectively turn a player they'll have to release into something.

Something > nothing.

Burroughs isn't here to replace Crede, he's here in case Crede gets hurt. And really, he's here to get some value out of Borchard rather than none.

Randar68
08-03-2005, 02:50 PM

Much like your existence it seems...

Nyls Nyman
08-03-2005, 03:19 PM
At one point the Padres were talking about moving Burroughs to 2B. Did that ever materialize??

I'd make this trade in a minute if I'm KW, for three reasons:

First, what if Crede's back does break down? Blum could become the starting 3B, but then we're still looking at Willie Harris in the 2nd utility role. Yuck - I'd rather have Burroughs on the bench than Harris.

Second, Burroughs might actually have trade value in the off season.

Third, if they trade Crede in the offseason, you have a replacement ready. Not one as good as Crede, but somebody who can be serviceable in the #9 spot.

CHIsoxNation
08-03-2005, 03:27 PM

ZING!!!

rdivaldi
08-03-2005, 04:13 PM
I think some of you are forgetting who Crede's agent is.

:borass:
"Joe Crede is worth at least $8 million a year"

nedlug
08-03-2005, 04:23 PM
I think some of you are forgetting who Crede's agent is.

:borass:
"Joe Crede is worth at least $8 million a year"

OK, Scott, good luck finding a team willing to pay Crede as much as we will be.

eriqjaffe
08-03-2005, 04:36 PM
I think some of you are forgetting who Crede's agent is.Here's my envisioned Tribune Headline Of The Future:

CREDE SIGNS 7-YEAR, $85 MILLION DEAL WITH TIGERS
FORMER SOX THIRD SACKER "OVERJOYED" TO BE REUNITED WITH ORDONEZ

PODSEDNIK STILL HASN'T HOMERED, PAGE 12

DickAllen72
08-03-2005, 04:44 PM
While I agree it would be a good trade for the Sox because of Borchard's status, I must say that Burroughs didn't impress me at all when the Sox played at SD earlier this year. Well, he did impress me, but not in a good way. He looked like he was dogging it.

Does anyone know if minor leaguers still have to clear waivers before being traded? I thought as long as they were on the 40 man roster they had to be put on waivers after July 31 to be traded.

Podzilla_40
08-03-2005, 04:58 PM
I think it's gotten to the point with Borroughs where he just cannot succeed over there just because of the enormous pressure he had on him to live up to his potential, and now that he's not the power hitter they envisioned the fans think he's worthless.

Optipessimism
08-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Your opinion...

Your opinion sucks.

Borchard doesn't have any value and I'd make the trade in a heartbeat. I just don't like people trashing Borchard.

I think we can all agree that Borchard is probably a nice guy, and it would be nice to see him finally live up to his hype in the future, but that doesn't change the fact that he isn't very good at all.

I don't get how someone can say Willie Harris sucks, Shingo sucks, etc. but can't say Borchard sucks. I don't think he was trashing him, just stating what we all know. The guy was supposed to have made two or three All Star appearances in the major by now, but he's still in AAA.

As for a trade for Burroughs, I'd do it in a second but I don't know why they'd want a guy like Borchard in Petco. A trade to the Rockies would make sense to me, and I think would help Joe a lot more than a trip to San Diego would.

mjmcend
08-03-2005, 05:16 PM
This what rotoworld had to say on the deal. Sounds like people on the 40 -man roster do have to clear waivers.

According to USA Today's Paul White, the Padres are planning on trading Sean Burroughs to the White Sox for Joe Borchard this week.
We don't see how either would make it that far on waivers, especially Burroughs. If Borchard is the best they can do, the Padres would be better off keeping Burroughs anyway. Aug. 3 - 5:58

gosox41
08-04-2005, 07:27 PM
This what rotoworld had to say on the deal. Sounds like people on the 40 -man roster do have to clear waivers.

According to USA Today's Paul White, the Padres are planning on trading Sean Burroughs to the White Sox for Joe Borchard this week.
We don't see how either would make it that far on waivers, especially Burroughs. If Borchard is the best they can do, the Padres would be better off keeping Burroughs anyway. Aug. 3 - 5:58

I'm surprised a sucky team like KC or Tampa or Pitt. wouldn't jump at the chance to get either one of those 2 guys. They can hope they catch lightning in a bottle.

Bob

gosox41
08-04-2005, 07:28 PM

Oh how the mighty have fallen,

Bob

Norberto7
08-04-2005, 09:23 PM

Burn! :Rocker: podserifik! is on fire!

soxwon
08-04-2005, 09:44 PM
is sean the son of JEFF BUROUGHS?

That guy could hit.

08-05-2005, 08:31 AM
John isn't it...yes he is, they had an artical on Sean when he led his team to the Little League World Series when he was a kid.....he is husky kid to say the least...he was a Power hitter who resorted to hitting singles. But I would prefer him to Borchard, Burroughs has shown signs of life at least

DoggPhood
08-05-2005, 02:22 PM
just heard this on the radio about an hour ago

Madvora
08-05-2005, 02:23 PM
just heard this on the radio about an hour ago
Reports what? The rumor of it, or that it's a done deal?

We've had this down in WTS for a while...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55471

DoggPhood
08-05-2005, 02:26 PM
reports the rumor.

whoops

Chez
08-05-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm all for picking upa veteran slugger, but Jeff Burroughs has got to be pushing 50!

JermaineDye05
08-05-2005, 09:04 PM
i heard about this trade earlier today on the score, burroughs would be nice to aquire

BNLSox
08-06-2005, 06:33 PM
According to FSN Northwest which I am currently watching on MLB.TV, the Sox are looking to trade Joe Crede for Sean Burroughs.

I laughed when I heard that. Those fools must be confused from all the bad baseball they've been watching.

DickAllen72
08-06-2005, 07:01 PM
That's the best rumor I heard since the one about SD trading Chad Tracey to the Sox! :redneck