PDA

View Full Version : I like the new banner on the home page.

RedPinStripes
11-26-2001, 06:42 PM
Those uniforms were so ugly, but so cool to me. Those were the sdays when I was old enough to remember the players. The 83 Sox are my all time favorite team. Damn they should have had a dynasty! The only team I think that would have given the 83 roster trouble would be the 84 Tigers. They had one hell of a team and so many things that went right for them.

That's Tom Patorick and Floyd Bannaster on the banner right?

I have so many faviorites from that team.

Daver
11-26-2001, 06:50 PM
I like it too,but not as much as last weeks.The last one brought back some great horrible memories.

oldcomiskey
11-26-2001, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by daver
I like it too,but not as much as last weeks.The last one brought back some great horrible memories.

But some good ones as well--I mean sure we had idiots like Alvarado and Agosto-but we had Melton--the first Sox player to hit 30 Hrs inna season--plus the first Sox player to win a HR title---I remember Tanner hit him first that day.... Wilbur Wood and Jim Kaat--and the man hisdamnself--Richard Anthony Allen

FarWestChicago
11-26-2001, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey

and the man hisdamnself--Richard Anthony Allen I like that! :D:

Daver
11-26-2001, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey

But some good ones as well--I mean sure we had idiots like Alvarado and Agosto-but we had Melton--the first Sox player to hit 30 Hrs inna season--plus the first Sox player to win a HR title---I remember Tanner hit him first that day.... Wilbur Wood and Jim Kaat--and the man hisdamnself--Richard Anthony Allen

But you still have the ugliest uniforms in MLB history.

Joel Perez
11-27-2001, 01:27 PM
I remember seeing the '83 playoffs in elementary school...my school in Bolingbrook Ill (Valley View Elem. which is now James Tibbott I do believe) had the last few classes cancelled so that we can all see the game.

I remember when the Sox scored that first run of theirs...the classroom erupted in YAA-HOOs for a while.

I miss the Grand Ol' Lady, that old ballpark!

Nellie_Fox
11-27-2001, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by daver
But you still have the ugliest uniforms in MLB history.

Really? You think the red pinstripes are the all-time ugliest? I don't even think they're the ugliest White Sox uniform of all time (the softball uniform pictured on the current banner gets my vote for that,) and they aren't in the same league with some of the unis the Astros and the Padres have trotted out.

Any uniform hat with different colored panels, like the Sox hat pictured here, the Expos of the same era, etc. look like Spanky McFarlane beanies with a brim.

RedPinStripes
11-27-2001, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Really? You think the red pinstripes are the all-time ugliest? I don't even think they're the ugliest White Sox uniform of all time (the softball uniform pictured on the current banner gets my vote for that,) and they aren't in the same league with some of the unis the Astros and the Padres have trotted out.

Any uniform hat with different colored panels, like the Sox hat pictured here, the Expos of the same era, etc. look like Spanky McFarlane beanies with a brim.

I never understood the red-pinstripe ara. Wouldn't that be a nice uni for the Red Sox? Only Bill Veek can come up with an idea like that. lol

PaleHoseGeorge
11-27-2001, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by ComiskeyBum
I never understood the red-pinstripe ara. Wouldn't that be a nice uni for the Red Sox? Only Bill Veek can come up with an idea like that. lol

Nope. It was John Allyn. He bought the team from his brother Arthur at the end of the 1969 season. He almost certainly saved the franchise for the South Side since his brother had been playing "home" games in Milwaukee the past two seasons. (Guess which baseball owner was trying to buy him out? Hint: his first name rhymes with 'spud').

The Sox lost 106 games in 1970, and Allyn was losing his shirt. He brought in Hemond as GM to revitalize the team on the field (who in turn got Chuck Tanner and Dick Allen), and introduced the red uniforms to give the team some character. He saved the club for five critical years.

The real innovation were the red Adidas the Sox wore. I know you young guys think this isn't a big deal, but back in 1971, wearing red three-striped shoes were really cool--especially when everyone else was still wearing plain black.

Yes, the red uniforms are amongst my favorites. Veeck's untucked pajamas (introduced in 1976) are the really ugly ones, IMHO. However even those aren't too bad compared to some of the godawful ones San Diego and Houston wore, as NellieFox already pointed out.

Who can forget those all-harvest gold Padres uniforms with the brown trim? Egads!

Nellie_Fox
11-27-2001, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ComiskeyBum

Veeck didn't do the red pinstripes. When he bought the club he changed them to the Mary Frances Veeck designed floppy collar pajamas.

FarWestChicago
11-27-2001, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Who can forget those all-harvest gold Padres uniforms with the brown trim? Egads! The Pads and 'Stros of that era are in a class by themselves. They owned ugly. :smile:

Spiff
11-27-2001, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
The Pads and 'Stros of that era are in a class by themselves. They owned ugly. :smile:

The Padres also had maybe the coolest uniforms ever with the camo unis they wore the day they honored the marines. Those were sweet.

oldcomiskey
11-27-2001, 05:53 PM
Steve Garvey said he looked like a taco