PDA

View Full Version : Are the Twins done?

DenverSock
08-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Who here thinks the Twinkies are done with Hunter out for the season? I think they're finally toast.

dcb33
08-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Who are the Twins?

chisox83
08-03-2005, 12:00 PM
they gone!

nug0hs
08-03-2005, 12:01 PM
That ball hit deep...way back...(insert random Twins outfielder here) looks up...you can put it on the boaaaard...yeeeas!!!!

They gone!

GAsoxfan
08-03-2005, 12:01 PM
I think they're through. They'll finish the season in 4th place.

Deuce
08-03-2005, 12:03 PM
The Twins are done when we have the division locked and they are out of wild card contention. Till then, I'm not taking anything for granted with those guys, or any team for that matter.

Deuce

The Critic
08-03-2005, 12:06 PM
They're not out, but they ARE down.

Losing Torii damaged them morale-wise as well as in baseball terms.
I'll feel better when we finally eliminate them, but they do seem demoralized.

DenverSock
08-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Who are the Twins?

Very Funny!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-03-2005, 12:09 PM
They lost Toriiii but they still have Brett Boone.

Whoops, no they don't. Nevermind.

:wink:

Lip Man 1
08-03-2005, 12:15 PM
The Twins are done regarding the divisional title. As far as the Wild Card...probably not, at least not right now.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
08-03-2005, 12:16 PM
I said they were done two weeks ago. They're even more done now.

Flight #24
08-03-2005, 12:18 PM
They're done for this year, and absent a payraise (unlikely) or a major trade of a hih salaried guy, they're done for next year too. They'll have at least 2 new, likely rookie SPs next year. Not good.

hempsox
08-03-2005, 12:31 PM
The following is something that I have wanted to for a while now...

Fork meet Twinks
Twinks meet Fork

Madvora
08-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Man, remember early in the season when we couldn't gain any ground on them to save our lives?

PaleHoseGeorge
08-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Man, remember early in the season when we couldn't gain any ground on them to save our lives?

Do me a favor and remind the Dark Clouds of this fact when they inevitably become suicidal after KC takes 2 of 3 from the Sox.
:cool:

This isn't the NFL. A baseball season is a marathon, not a sprint. Nobody gives a **** where you were back on May 15 or for that matter back on September 15 either.

batmanZoSo
08-03-2005, 01:43 PM
I said they were done two weeks ago. They're even more done now.

And come next week they shall be doner still. :cool:

Iwritecode
08-03-2005, 01:46 PM
And come next week they shall be doner still. :cool:

I think that's supposed to be "more doner". :wink:

SOXPHILE
08-03-2005, 01:53 PM
They're done. And in other news, Francisco Franco is still dead, and the Pope is indeed, Catholic.

Fred Manrique
08-03-2005, 04:54 PM
I'd be shocked if they made any type of push at the WC, but I'd be shocked if both Cleveland and Detroit got past them.

Man, I love seeing them struggle...

tstrike2000
08-03-2005, 06:26 PM
Who here thinks the Twinkies are done with Hunter out for the season? I think they're finally toast.

I think they were done even if Hunter stayed healthy.

MRKARNO
08-03-2005, 11:24 PM
The Twins are done regarding the divisional title. As far as the Wild Card...probably not, at least not right now.

Lip

I know they're 5 out in the WC race, but they're still in the pack of teams behind Oakland and I just don't see Oakland keeping this up. Their season has already been a success, but I think they are likely to fall off a bit and miss the WC by 2-4 games.

Lip Man 1
08-04-2005, 12:42 AM
Karno:

Get used to this....the A's are going to win the division. And I'm all for that, I'd rather take my chances with the Angels or Yankees.

Lip

mccoydp
08-04-2005, 10:25 AM
The Twins are done...not enough time in the season to make up a deficit like they have. I knew the Sox were out of it last year in July after the 7-game losing streak and after they were swept by the Twins, and they were 5 games or so out of first.

As for the wildcard -- who knows?

tstrike2000
08-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Karno:

Get used to this....the A's are going to win the division. And I'm all for that, I'd rather take my chances with the Angels or Yankees.

Lip

Yes, the A's will win the division unless they decide to tank in September. I would almost want to face the Yankees more than the Angels in the first round. The Angels trio of Colon, Lackey, and Washburn would be tougher in a short series.

fquaye149
08-04-2005, 11:00 AM
for everyone who thinks the twins are done,look at this!!!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55511

Rooney4Prez56
08-06-2005, 11:00 PM
They've been done since the All-Star Break. If the Twins aren't in first or closing in on it, they fall apart. Not to mention that their pitching hasn't been as good as it has been and their offense flat-out sucks.

SOXSINCE'70
08-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Karno:

Lip

I agree,Mark.The A's scare me.Especially because the Sox are 2-7
against them (both wins by Garland).Yes,I know the playoffs are a
different season,but,like you,i'll take my chances with the Angels
(Sox are 4-3 against them with 3 games remaining at home) or
the Yankmees.
BTW,talk about luck!!If the current pitching rotations hold up,the Sox will miss
Randy Johnson not only next week,but 2 weekends from now as well.:o:
But,knowing "Darth" Steinbrenner,the Sox won't be that lucky.:angry:
But,Johnson has had back issues.........:?:

Well,I hope all turns out well.:cool: :cool: :cool:

Lip Man 1
08-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Sox70:

The Sox are 2-7 against the A's this year...let's not make it any worse then it already is.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
08-07-2005, 06:33 AM
Sox70:

The Sox are 2-7 against the A's this year...let's not make it any worse then it already is.

Lip

Wrong. They're 0-0 in any game that matters. Or are you Dark Clouds expecting a 162-0 season to clear away the depression you're currently having?

Oakland is to the '05 Sox what the Dolphins were to the '85 Bears. We OUGHT TO BE* anxious to get another crack at that pile of **** just to set the record straight. Here's betting Oakland punks out before we ever get the chance -- just like the ****ing '85 Dolphins in the NFL playoffs, losers to Tony Eason and those pigs from New England.

* limited to fans who aren't constantly fretting and depressed over practically anything

Fredsox
08-07-2005, 07:37 AM
I agree,Mark.The A's scare me.

Maybe the A's should be scared of us. Ever think of it that way? If somebody told you that your team would face the #1 ERA team in the league that also happens to be 1st in stolen bases and 4th in HR, how confident would you be about your chances?

Folks, let's be real. We might not be playing our best ball right now, but we are a very dangerous team.

SOXSINCE'70
08-07-2005, 08:10 AM
Sox70:

Lip

It's been corrected.Thanks.

The way the Sox have played against the A's since 2001,
it feels like they are 2-90 against them.:(: :(: :(:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-07-2005, 09:19 AM
It's been corrected.Thanks.

The way the Sox have played against the A's since 2001,
it feels like they are 2-90 against them.:(: :(: :(:

Do you and Lip think we should forfeit?

Just askin'.

munchman33
08-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Wrong. They're 0-0 in any game that matters. Or are you Dark Clouds expecting a 162-0 season to clear away the depression you're currently having?

Oakland is to the '05 Sox what the Dolphins were to the '85 Bears. We OUGHT TO BE* anxious to get another crack at that pile of **** just to set the record straight. Here's betting Oakland punks out before we ever get the chance -- just like the ****ing '85 Dolphins in the NFL playoffs, losers to Tony Eason and those pigs from New England.

* limited to fans who aren't constantly fretting and depressed over practically anything

PHG, you are the man!

PeteWard
08-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Funny how two wins over Boston (a rather mediocre road team) had ESPN talking about a Twins resurgence. Even Gardenhire started hyping. Then this happens:

A gaffe by left fielder Shannon Stewart (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5509) was among Minnesota's early woes. Thinking there were three outs instead of two, Stewart caught Alex Cora (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6023)'s foul ball and then tossed it into the crowd. The two-base error allowed Millar to score.

"It was a long inning, and I forgot. I'm mad about it. I messed up," Stewart said. "It was a tough day for us, and I made it worse."

They are done.

MRKARNO
08-07-2005, 10:55 PM

Right on! The A's are on an amazing hot streak right now, no doubt. But c'mon, does anyone seriously think they can sustain this? The first series was a load of crap if everyone cares to remember (we easily should have taken 2) and the other 6 was just catching them at the wrong time. By October, I'm willing to bet their hot streak will be long gone. They may be long gone too. Didnt the O's look like a formidible team a month ago? The Nats? (Though many would argue that the answer to the Nats would be no). The Padres as a World Series threat right before we faced them?

Look, the A's streak right now is amazing, but I think there's a very good chance that they will fall back, or at least will not look nearly as good if this hot streak propels them to a playoff spot. No team can maintain a hot streak like they've been on from the end of June through October. It doesn't happen.

Quite honestly, I could care less if we faced Chokeland, the Skanks, the BlowSox or the Halos in the first round (or the ALCS for that matter). None of them really scare me. Besides, they don't call the A's "Chokeland" for nothing (0 playoff series victories in the Mulder/Hudson/Zito era). And if El Duque continues the way he has been going, I'll be even less scared. Starts in the Bronx and Fenway should be a good test.

I also think we're in great shape for October because there should be fewer HRs and it will help out our pitching staff a lot. The colder weather allowed all of the pitchers to keep the ball in the park more (with the exception of Buehrle, who has figured out a way to keep the ball in the park the entire season so far). The bugaboo for Garcia, Contreras and occasionally Garland at home as been the long ball and the cold weather will help that out. I'm guessing that the team looks a lot like it did in April and May when we get to October (with some more hits which land inside the park) and that would mean that we're playing pretty well. I think we can get by with hitting fewer if we're allowing fewer as well.

Overall I like our outlook regardless of who we play. Just so long as we have homefield throught the postseason, we're in great shape. :D:

Arkham
08-08-2005, 01:38 AM
Clear it all out. Every game is different than the one that happened before it. The nine games we played don't matter anymore than the 2003 playoffs do, which don't matter any more than 1990, 1983, 1959 or 1901.

The first series (against whoever) is three to five completely new games.

Of Cokeland, Los Anaheim, New Yuck or Bawstan, I don't think any of us can say with certainty that we will win a series against this team, or that we will lose against that team. It's why we watch the games.

In the 96/97/98 Bulls, as much as I enjoyed them winning, it started to get a bit old. We knew they were locks to go to the finals, and we never really felt all that threatened by the team we had to face there.

Well baseball's different, and frankly I can't wait until October.

doublem23
08-08-2005, 02:42 AM
Do you and Lip think we should forfeit?

Just askin'.

Obviously. We wouldn't want to be embarassed. :rolleyes:

Oh, and yes, the Twins are indeed dead. Good run while it lasted mates, now back to your spot in the cellar.

Tragg
08-08-2005, 10:39 AM
I'd rather play the As than the Angels in the playoffs. The Angels have a deeper experienced staff and I see no Vlads on the As. Their record against us was coincidence this year (BS in the west coast series; we just played poorly at the Cell).

Gammons' WS pick: Twins over Cubs.

Gotta love it.

Patrick134
08-08-2005, 10:44 AM
A playoff series can be won or lost just based on who is playing the better ball that week. There is no guarantee that the "better" team wins. The Sox could sweep any series, get swept in any series , or anything in between. Speculation is fun, but it all comes down to who is playing better ball that week.

Letmehearya
08-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Let's get there first. I made the remark weeks ago about Coach Ditka's comment early in the '85 season before the dreaded game at Dallas when a reporter commented "Well Coach, you've got to play Dallas." Da Coach barked back "they've got to play US!" That's the way I feel about Oakland and the others. I hope Ozzie puts a chip on their shoulder for the duration of a long playoff run to the WS title.