PDA

View Full Version : scoop jackson gets the title...

Mr. White Sox
08-02-2005, 11:57 PM
You know, I really didn't see the Tribune wanting Dusty out for the reason Scoop suggests, but I do think the Trib is starting a smear campaign on Dusty, and I thought this the second the article concerning the "rumors" came out. Scoop's reason why, which I don't completely agree with, is compelling and interesting nonetheless.
Link of Interest. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/050802&num=0)

Juice16
08-03-2005, 12:37 AM
It's never about decisions and performance, always racial. Scoop must not have heard how cubbie fans have a history on blaming EVERYTHING on the current manger.

chuckn98229
08-03-2005, 12:52 AM
I am sure that Dusty being a jerk has nothing to do with it.

Fredsox
08-03-2005, 08:17 AM
I would think that race has little (if anything) to do with it. This is how the cubs management treats their employees regardless of there job. If ownership determines that you are headed out the door they grease the publicity skids to make sure the fan base is on board. This happened recently with Sosa, but if I'm not mistaken, didn't this happen with Grace as well a few years back? He was the "great venerable ball player" and all of a sudden some negative rumors of his personal life started to circulate.

I won't say the White Sox management has always been perfect when releasing personnel (insert Carlton Fisk here), but if anything they're oblivious to the publicity. The cub management appears to actually factor in the publicity into personnel decisions. I have no idea why players and coaches would want to work for them.

chaerulez
08-03-2005, 10:01 AM
...of most idiotic journalist that has Chicago connections.

I don't know if anyone here knows who Scoop Jackson is, he is a columnist on ESPN.com's page 2 and he is from Chicago and I believe he still lives around the area. You may have heard him on J-Hood on 670 sometimes. But in his latest article, I managed to lose a lot of respect for him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/050802

He goes on to say that Dusty Baker's treatment in this town is because of his race. He implies the Chicago media maybe racist because there are no major black sports columnists or sports radio talk show hosts in the weekdays. I'd welcome any new minority columnists (I am one actually), but it'd be more because that would mean we get new sports writers in the city because most of them are terrible... I don't think the color of your skin determines how good of a columnist or writer you are. I think Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith are equally stupid. We did have a black sports radio talk show host on weekdays named J-Hood for a while until there was a major lineup shakeup, and who knows maybe (and he should) return to the weekdays. But people want to pull the race card on Dusty Baker's situtation.

Dusty Baker is wanted out of town because he is terrible as a major league manager. He does have a good relationship with the players, but that's he can do. He doesn't have a clue on what the right players to play are, and even his friendly attitude towards his players backfires (see last year when the team was too busy yelling at umpires or broadcasters instead of playing the game). Not to mention he won't play rookies. Dusty Baker isn't a good manager. I think a lot of this has to do with because Dusty Baker is well known and Dusty's attitude. No one said this crap when Manuel was wanted out by the fans and Chicago media and eventually was let go. Or when Bill Cartwright got fired.

Stroker Ace
08-03-2005, 11:10 AM
I am sure that Dusty being a jerk has nothing to do with it.Or is inability to properly manage a baseball team.

Uncle_Patrick
08-03-2005, 11:12 AM
The problem with Scoop's article, for me anyway, is that it A) presupposes that Dusty is, in fact, a great manager, and B) presupposes that the white members of the Chicago sportsmedia are, at least at some level, racists who'd rather have a white manager who that could "relate" to. The problems with theory A is that Dusty has proved that he is, in fact, not a great manager. He's proven that repeatedly. The article ignores the fact the teams Dusty took to the playoffs had tons of healthy talent. The problem I have with theory B is that its simply a diversionary tactic used to move blame away from the individual who is being criticized. Barry Bonds used it against the media, Michael Jackson used it against his record label, OJ Simpson used it in court. "Its not Dusty's fault, you don't like him because he's black." Please, giving me an f'n break!

I noticed that no one used the race argument when Jerry Manuel was fired, and the teams he managed were also at or above .500 teams.

jdm2662
08-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Ah yes, someone is "mistreated" or "misunderstood" so the good ol race card is pulled out. I'm so sorry that you actually have to perform at the job you are at. What a concept, actually performing the duties you are paid to do! Wow, some people should try it sometimes and maybe they won't be "mistreated" or "misunderstood". And before someone pulls the ol I know nothing about racism, etc, I will add that I grew up in one of the most diverse neighboorhoods in the area. No need to go any further. I will add that Dusty was praised two years ago when the Cubs were five outs away from the World Series. Was everyone racist then? I wonder...
________
WEED VAPORIZER (http://weedvaporizer.info/)

Flight #24
08-03-2005, 11:25 AM
I'm surprised that no one's picked up on the fact that Scoop himself says that regardless of Dusty's actual performance, he would have to support him. Because as one of few black sports media members, it's his "job to have Dusty's back".

No need to read beyond that statement, because you know from there on that even if Dusty decided to play Derek Lee at SS, run naked across the field to argue with the ump, or beat up the batboy, Scoop's got his back. In fact, Dusty could go REALLY nuts and do crazy things like overworking a reliever coming off of a major injury, or something absolutely insane like batting Corey Patterson leadoff.....it wouldn't matter.

And apparently it doesn't.

ChiSoxPatF
08-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Woah, WOAH! Since when was Rick Morrissey or CAROL SLEZAK above-the-fold columnists? Skip has lost his mind.

Also, why is he crying foul about Baker and conveniently forgetting all of the other minority head coaches in Chicago. No one is asking for Lovie's head, all columnists without a personal vendetta against the Sox love Ozzie, no one cried race when Manuel or Cartwright were fired.

I'm not one to say that racism never plays a factor because it undeniably does sometimes, but in this case Skip is conveniently ignoring all the facts around the situation and the nature of coaching in Chicago to make a weak argument thats its just race.

Dusty is just not a good manager, its that simple. Nothing to do with race, everything to do with the piss-poor team culture that has developed in the Cubs dugout.

Unregistered
08-03-2005, 11:50 AM
"Scoop Jackson" is a major league douchebag, anyway. Every single one of his articles is filled with charges of racism or is blindsided with racial issues when there appeared to be none to begin with. This is the same guy who swears that "if Terrell Owens was white, he'd be a national hero," and "if Dan Gilbert was black, he would never be able to purchase the Cavaliers," etc, etc. Everything is a race issue with Ol' Scoop - nothing can ever be as it seems.

Now, apparently "Scoop" has "read between the lines" to realize that, of course, Dusty's double talk, empty promises and mismanagement have nothing to do with people's distaste for him: it's all because he's black. You know Chicago, that racist, backwards, redneck city... we can't stand to see black athletes do well here. Nevermind guys like Michael Jordan, Walter Payton, Frank Thomas, Sammy Sosa (I guess), Derrek Lee, etc., if they're not white, they're not welcome. :rolleyes:

To say that he feels like he should be standing up for Dusty because they're both black is completely ridiculous. To completely ignore facts and pin all of this on the color of the man's skin is a cop-out of ridiculous proportions - but it seems like "Scoop" has made a career out of creating race issues out of thin air, so why stop now? :rolleyes:

bumptious96
08-03-2005, 12:22 PM
I couldn't even get through Scoop's filth. I have ready every article he's wrote so far on ESPN.com and they all suck suck suck. His writing style is atrocious and alot of his points aren't supported or just defy common logic.

Scoop Jackson is a big fat pile of dog crap...and a Sh***y writer.

tstrike2000
08-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Not even going to Dusty part of the article, Scoop has some of the same Cubs fan delusion of granduer with his comment of "..a rotation without the two best pitchers in the league (Mark Prior and Kerry Wood)." Someone forgot tell that to Pedro, Clemens, Jake Peavy, and Chris Carpenter. Yeah, it's because of their pitching saviors the Cubs won't make the playoffs this year. The article makes excuses for Dusty and to support anyone based on skin color and not on merit is just yet another problem in society today. Dusty is not getting any worse treatment than any other manager in the last 100 years. Excuses for why the Cubs fail will fall on the manager from Cub fans long after Dusty Baker leaves this Earth.

GAsoxfan
08-03-2005, 12:54 PM
These racist bastards who are trying to get Dusty fired are the same ones who blasted Wannstedt b/c he was white... oh wait, that's right, it was because he sucked, just like Dusty.

You don't see writers "trying" to get Ozzie, Kenny, or Lovie fired. Scoop's a narrow-minded, paranoid racist, plain and simple.

PatK
08-03-2005, 03:28 PM
That guy lost any credibility when he called Prior and Wood the two best pitchers in the league and blamed their record on the "5 All-Stars" being out for most of the season.

Last time I checked, they only had 2 All-Stars, and they've been there the whole year.

Nyls Nyman
08-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Because as one of few black sports media members, it's his "job to have Dusty's back".

Somebody tell that to Mike Wilbon. On Monday's Pardon the Interruption, Moronoti asked him about the idea of Dusty going to LA. Wilbon said that "I'll drive him to the airport."

This must confuse Scoop, seeing as Wilbon is 1) a black man from Chicago and 2) a guy to whom the Tribune offered several million dollars to be their lead sports columnist when Verdi retired; when he turned them down, they had to settle for Skip Clueless.

Kevin
08-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Did you guys know that Scoop is a huge Sox fan?

GAsoxfan
08-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Did you guys know that Scoop is a huge Sox fan?

Yeah, I read that crap article he wrote about Sox fans.

Fred Manrique
08-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Did you guys see Scoop's T-Shirt today on "Rome is Burning"? It was cartoon faces of the Fab Five.

Pretty cool shirt, being an IU bball fan who dealt with (and took care of) the Fab Five on a regular basis.

mr_genius
08-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I read that crap article he wrote about Sox fans.

what did the article say?

Stroker Ace
08-03-2005, 06:39 PM
I saw Scoop on Jim Rome is Burning and couldn't believe what he was saying. It's one thing to criticize the Chicago media, but to accuse them of being racist because there aren't any black writers is absurd.

jdm2662
08-03-2005, 07:08 PM
I saw Scoop on Jim Rome is Burning and couldn't believe what he was saying. It's one thing to criticize the Chicago media, but to accuse them of being racist because there aren't any black writers is absurd.

Apparently, he has forgotten about long time writer for the Sun-Times Lacy J. Banks. What a tool.
________
LIST OF VOLKSWAGEN GROUP PETROL ENGINES (http://www.lamborghini-tech.com/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_petrol_engines)

Lip Man 1
08-03-2005, 07:10 PM
There is a difference between a reporter and a columnist.By the way the Tribune blog site has now picked up on this and has a good take on it.

Lip