PDA

View Full Version : Question about deffensive stats

Trav
08-03-2005, 02:46 AM
I was reading a book that said Bill Buckner has the record for most assists by a 1B in a season. On a 6-3 groundout who get the assist and who gets the put out? I figured the put-out would go to the 1B and the assist would go to the shortstop as it is that way with an OF throwing someone out at the plate. If Buckner did have the most assists then it stands to reason that he was a very good fielder. I always thought that he was a bad defensive 1B because of the error in the WS. I heard criticism of the manager for not putting a defensive replacement in for him because he was poor fielder. I know that he also had an injury (hammy?) but it stand to reason that the manager would feel comfortable with him in there if he was a good fielder.

Back to the question. Can more than one player get and assist on a play? For example, 6-4-3 groundout. The SS flips a grounder to the 2B on ground ball up the middle. And can a player receive an assist and a put out on the same play? 3-6-3 GIDP?

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 07:49 AM
I was reading a book that said Bill Buckner has the record for most assists by a 1B in a season. On a 6-3 groundout who get the assist and who gets the put out? I figured the put-out would go to the 1B and the assist would go to the shortstop as it is that way with an OF throwing someone out at the plate. If Buckner did have the most assists then it stands to reason that he was a very good fielder. I always thought that he was a bad defensive 1B because of the error in the WS. I heard criticism of the manager for not putting a defensive replacement in for him because he was poor fielder. I know that he also had an injury (hammy?) but it stand to reason that the manager would feel comfortable with him in there if he was a good fielder.

Back to the question. Can more than one player get and assist on a play? For example, 6-4-3 groundout. The SS flips a grounder to the 2B on ground ball up the middle. And can a player receive an assist and a put out on the same play? 3-6-3 GIDP?

In general the first position number is the assist and the last one is the putout, except of a double play. In a 6-3 groundout, the shortstop gets the assist and the first baseman the putout. In a 6-4-3 PUTOUT (no out at second base) both the shortstop and second basemen get the assist. The first baseman gets the putout. In the 3-6-3 double play both the first baseman and the shortstop are credited with both aputout and an assist.

One example you didn't mention is if the player lines or flies into a double play (for example and F9-3 or F6-4) The person catching the flyball gets both a putout and an assist.

EastCoastSoxFan
08-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Buckner had bad knees by 1986. He was still able to hit pretty well, but he had lost most of whatever mobility he had had at first base. If you look at the play, he was barely able to hobble over to try to make the play. That was why so many people felt that he should have been replaced in the field.

Trav
08-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys. Torn, you are right. I did forget about the flyball DP. I started thinking about that today.

So Bill Buckner was an outstanding 1B then? He broke the assist record twice in three years.

Thanks again. I can rest easy now. :smile:

Nellie_Fox
08-04-2005, 12:20 AM
Buckner had bad knees by 1986. He was still able to hit pretty well, but he had lost most of whatever mobility he had had at first base. If you look at the play, he was barely able to hobble over to try to make the play. That was why so many people felt that he should have been replaced in the field.He may have had bad knees, I don't remember, but a huge part of his loss of mobility was an extremely bad ankle. He was pretty fast when he was young, incredibly limited at the end of his career.