PDA

View Full Version : Local Blackout Rules

ChampaignSoxFan
08-03-2005, 01:14 AM
Does anyone have any insight on the intricacies of the MLB TV local blackout rules? MLB has regions (specified by zip code) which specify "home markets." Well unfortunately for me, WCIU's signal sure doesn't reach Champaign-Urbana, and Fox regional games here are always either the Cardinals or Scrubs. One would think if I was willing to pay for the broadcast on MLB.com that I couldn't receive by air or cable, that they'd take my money and let me watch. But NO! My zip code is in the Sox, Scrubs, AND Cardinal's home markets--so no Sox for me on WCIU or Fox game days. :whiner:

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows who to complain to at MLB (or at the Sox who could pass along complaint or answer how boundaries determined) or perhaps how to work around the prob. I realize this isn't a big issue to 99.9% of my fellow Sox fans, but as Hawk would say, "this is total BS!" :angry: At least they let me have the Rooney/Farmio radiocast...

Thanks for any help--and Go Go Sox!

santo=dorf
08-03-2005, 01:18 AM
I would also like to add how us Sox fans in Champaign get screwed when they are on Fox (I missed the 1983 throwback game back in 2003 :angry: ) yet they show Cubs games when they are on Fox saturdays.

CLR01
08-03-2005, 02:43 AM
Does anyone have any insight on the intricacies of the MLB TV local blackout rules? MLB has regions (specified by zip code) which specify "home markets." Well unfortunately for me, WCIU's signal sure doesn't reach Champaign-Urbana, and Fox regional games here are always either the Cardinals or Scrubs. One would think if I was willing to pay for the broadcast on MLB.com that I couldn't receive by air or cable, that they'd take my money and let me watch. But NO! My zip code is in the Sox, Scrubs, AND Cardinal's home markets--so no Sox for me on WCIU or Fox game days. :whiner:

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows who to complain to at MLB (or at the Sox who could pass along complaint or answer how boundaries determined) or perhaps how to work around the prob. I realize this isn't a big issue to 99.9% of my fellow Sox fans, but as Hawk would say, "this is total BS!" :angry: At least they let me have the Rooney/Farmio radiocast...

So give them a different zip code. Call the up and tell them you moved to Montana.

GiveMeSox
08-03-2005, 02:51 AM
So give them a different zip code. Call the up and tell them you moved to Montana.

It goes by the ip address you log in with when u access the mlb.tv stuff. The way to get around that is to use a proxy to mask your location. Private Message me if you want info on how to get around the mlb.tv blackouts.

As for the zipcode thing its kinda of strange. The same thing happens to me in Lafayette. I am blacked out of sox, cubs and reds becuase i am in their local viewing area. Well reds games aren't even carried on any station in our area and we dont get WCIU. The point is that it IS AVAILABLE on tv, but only via satellite and the mlb package. Go figure.

samram
08-03-2005, 07:50 AM
The WCIU things kills me. Even if out-of-towners can see the game on MLB-TV (like I was able to last night), it's always the opposing team broadcast. Since the opponent was Toronto, the game wasn't on Extra Innings either. After this season, if they can, the Sox may want to review their tv broadcast situation. WCIU is an outlet for minor, not major, league teams.

mccoydp
08-03-2005, 08:08 AM
I called MLB.tv after I was blacked-out for a game I really wanted to see, and I tried strong-arming them by telling them I was going to cancel my service because of it. The jerk I was talking to was more than happy to oblige by taking my cancellation order; no sales pitch to keep me at all. I went two days without the service, and ended up ordering it again (I get the games month-to-month).
They don't care what any of us think; they know we're addicted to the games like they're crack, and even if we cancel, they know we'll be back. MLB.tv must be making good money off of their service because they're real a-holes on the phone.

downstairs
08-03-2005, 08:42 AM
Do any of you have Google and the Internet?!?

There are a bunch of very simple ways around it.

Google is your friend:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=MLB.tv+%2B%22proxy+server%22

mike squires
08-03-2005, 10:22 AM

Welcome aboard! There are very few of us around in these parts. We'll have to get together somewhere in October. I believe a recent newspaper article talked about Fat City being the "official" bar of the Whitesox in this area.