PDA

View Full Version : Your earliest Sox memory?

Bisco Stu
08-02-2005, 11:45 PM
From Baseball HOF.org

On Sunday, May 9, 1976, at Tiger Stadium, Detroit, a sixth-inning drive off the bat of Tigers centerfielder Ron LeFlore struck the left knee of the 34-year-old southpaw. Wood went down in a heap, clutching the knee. The next day, he underwent surgery for a transverse displaced fracture of the left patella (shattered kneecap). Wilbur Wood's season, and for all intents and purpose, career, was over. Ironically, it was a left knee that both started and ended Wood's rise to stardom.

StockdaleForVeep
08-02-2005, 11:47 PM
Some game at ole comiskey where the california angels played the sox. The scoreboard played a preview of Major league baseball for nintendo and me remarkin how we had it. Also, i saw Jim Abbott warming up in the pen and i saw his no hand and was freaked by it. No clue on the year, i was very young

Banix12
08-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Some game at ole comiskey where the california angels played the sox. The scoreboard played a preview of Major league baseball for nintendo and me remarkin how we had it. Also, i saw Jim Abbott warming up in the pen and i saw his no hand and was freaked by it. No clue on the year, i was very young

I don't remember that video game commercial but I do remember "NEW! NEW! NEW! Bases Loaded 2!".

I don't remember what year it was that I first went to a sox game, I figure it was either 1986 or 1987. I remember it was against the Red Sox and I was sitting 1st row behind the Visiting Dugout.

A few other early memories were

a 17-2 thumping by the Oakland A's where I spent most of the game trying to bounce Lemonheads off the Athletics players helmets while they waited to bat.

a strange night where I don't even remember who played or what the final score was but the sky was a bizzare orange color and it scared the bejesus out of me since I was a catholic school student at the time and we had just covered death and the end of the world that afternoon. Heavy stuff for a seven year old, don't you think?

Seatcushion night where it rained white cushions down from the upper deck at the old stadium.

Harold Baines leg kick and Carlton Fisk's pre-atbat preperation (both of which I emulated in little league)

Rooney on Channel 32 and I vaguely remember a white sox commercial with a rap song (Home Run, Greg Walker Run)

Bisco Stu
08-03-2005, 12:22 AM
To clarify, I don't mean you had to be at the game or even watching on TV.

I actually remember hearing about Wood's injury in the alley on North Maplewood as a kid, just getting into baseball then, I was a late bloomer. Whoever told us about it made a big deal about Wood getting hit and it was my earliest Sox memory of any kind.

Hell, your earliest Sox memory could be some stuffed Sox toy someone gave you a kid.

TDog
08-03-2005, 12:45 AM
My earliest White Sox memory was of a Boy's Benefit Game at old Comiskey. At that time it was the annual exhibition game between the Sox and Cubs. My father had an extra ticket, somebody couldn't make it, and at 6 or so, I was an afterthought. Nobody knew at the time that I was extremely nearsighted, enough so that everything was a blur. Not knowing what things were supposed to look like, I just thought the world was a blurry place. But the fireworks went off and the Sox won 7-2. It was probably 1964. Either that or 1963.

I remember the game where Wilbur Wood was hit by the line drive. Unfortunately by then I knew what I was seeing.

He gone
08-03-2005, 12:46 AM
Opening day 1976. My mom let me skip school to go to my 1st baseball game (I was in the 4th grade) Sox beat the Royals and we sat in the rightfield upper deck. It was the 1st year for the uniform with the collars and I remember all the souviner shops only had the old red hats from the year before.

ChiSoxGirl
08-03-2005, 01:05 AM
The end of May, 1987. A bunch of the family & family friends were celebrating my grandma's 65th birthday in an Old Comiskey Park skybox, courtesy of a family friend's connections through work. I was 7 1/2 years old and knew absolutely nothing about the Sox, much less the game of baseball. My uncle was in from San Diego & newly married at the time and amidst all the people and spirits, took me to the green seats outside the skybox and we sat together- just he & I. He briefly explained the game to me and answered all of my questions, no matter how simple they seemed to him.

After a couple innings, we went back inside the skybox for food. Shortly thereafter, "The Purple Guy," as my uncle referred to him (the old Sox mascot. Anyone remember his name?!), came for a visit in our box and tried to eat some of the food! I then noticed my uncle disappeared for awhile. He returned after awhile with my very first Sox hat- a navy blue trucker hat with the red script "C" on the front. I still have it.

I have no memory of what the Sox did that night on the field, but the greatest memory I have of that night is sharing a special moment with my uncle, with whom I'm very close with and who is one of my favorite Sox fans in the world. :smile:

podserifik!
08-03-2005, 01:23 AM
Can't remember.:?:

Trav
08-03-2005, 02:30 AM
Rudy and / or Rubarb were the mascots of the day.

Mr. White Sox
08-03-2005, 02:36 AM
some game in 1991, when Carlton Fisk hit a game-winning 3-run homer. Now, that is all I remember, as I vaguely remember sitting in a club-esque seat (2nd level?) and I remember that Fisk hit a 3-run home run...I'm not sure of the date, year, or if it was a game-winner, but for some reason I think it was.

Foulke You
08-03-2005, 03:23 AM
I remember it was a game during the 1984 season and it was versus the Indians. My Dad took me to Comiskey for the first time that Summer, we parked on the gravel lots far from the park and we sat in the Mezzanine section on the lower level. I remember how green the grass looked and also how much bigger the park seemed in person than on TV. My Dad kept telling my brother and I that the scoreboard would go off if the Sox hit a homer. I remember being disappointed that we didn't hit the longball in that game. Floyd Bannister pitched in a 3-2 loss to the Indians and a young Julio Franco hit the go ahead homer for the Tribe. (Amazing that Franco is STILL playing...he played in my first ever trip to a Sox game and I'm 27 years old, LOL) Somewhere in my closet, I still have a mini souvenir baseball bat with the 80s Sox logo on it that my parents bought me at that game.

Even though I was only 6 years old, I remember a lot from the game. I tend to have a photographic memory of things long past but have trouble with things like where I put my car keys.:tongue:

C-Dawg
08-03-2005, 05:49 AM
In 1975 my brother's Cub Scout group went to a game and I was lucky to have been able to tag along too. We sat in the outfield somewhere, about as far from the action as possible. I don't even remember the opponent; the sad thing was I found it hard to tell which team was which. At the time I'd never seen the Sox on TV yet.

Speaking of TV - in 1977 our class at school set up a TV right in the classroom to watch Opening Day. Teacher must've been a fan!

TommyJohn
08-03-2005, 06:28 AM
I vaguely remember the first game that I attended, in May of 1973. I was
four at the time. It was an overcast weekend day, the Sox played the
Yankees and we sat a few rows up. My aunt gave my father the tickets,
she got them after a few family members had a chance encounter with
Dizzy Dean. I know Dick Allen got a big hit and everyone leaped to their
feet and roared. I got scared by the sudden noise of the crowd cheering.
I also recall seeing the home plate umpire and wondering why he was
wearing a suit.

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 07:32 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2850

rdwj
08-03-2005, 07:44 AM
Jim Spencer cranked a grand slam at my first White Sox game. I was six years old and don't remember much but the crack of the bat, people going crazy and all the fireworks!

I was offically hooked.

EastCoastSoxFan
08-03-2005, 08:31 AM
One of my earliest childhood memories at Old Comiskey (circa '79 or '80) was a game in which the Sox hit several home runs and I was so scared of the loud fireworks that my dad, my brother, and I had to leave the game early.
Didn't deter me from continuing to root for the Sox, though...

SOXintheBURGH
08-03-2005, 08:35 AM
Sitting in green seats at the ole' ballpark against the Twinks. My earliest memory was my desire to climb the foul poll, and Harlold hit three homers.

Chez
08-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Going to my first Sox game with my grandfather in 1966. We sat right behind homeplate. "Sudden" Sam McDowell pitched for Cleveland and threw about 110 mph.

PaulDrake
08-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Going to my first Sox game with my grandfather in 1966. We sat right behind homeplate. "Sudden" Sam McDowell pitched for Cleveland and threw about 110 mph. Radar guns weren't in vogue then, but you're right he threw as hard as anyone in the history of the game.

russ99
08-03-2005, 09:13 AM
One of my earliest memories. Sometime in the early 70's (I couldn't have been older than 5 or 6) in the right field upper deck with my Dad, and some kid a few rows behind me screaming through one of those old popcorn megaphones, "Bill Melton!!", "Bill Melton!!" during the entire game. I don't remember if the Sox won.

mike squires
08-03-2005, 09:15 AM
I have three that must have been in the late 70's. I was fishing with my Dad. Afterwards, we went to my grandpa's and I remember seeing Harry singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."

Listening to a game in the evening. We had a milkshake on some fan thingy and I went outside. I came back in and it was all melted.

I stayed at my grandma and grandpa's while Mom and Dad went to the game. They came back late with a inflatible WhiteSox bat.

And another, I remember watching a game on TV and before the game they were talking about how Mike Squires bet his son he could run around the park 5 times. Not sure if he made it or not.

Sxy Mofo
08-03-2005, 09:18 AM
probably when i was about 5 or 6. All i remember is we sat behind homeplate and all i remember is the net. My dad says I kept telling him how much better baseball was on tv because there wasn't a big net in the way.

white sox bill
08-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Must have been 1969 or 1970..old Comiskey I remmeber Nancy playing BJ Thomas's "Raindrops keep falling on my head" during brief rain delay. I recall that ugly green astroturf they had in infield.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-03-2005, 10:36 AM
It was 1977 and I'm at my first Sox game with my dad and my uncle. My uncle was a nut, and is to this day. A very unstable guy who never met a barfight he couldn't become a part of. Anyway, they sold popcorn in a cardboard megaphone type device back then. It was useless as a megaphone, way too small. My uncle got done with his popcorn, then started yelling at Chet Lemon through the popcorn container "Come on Lemon! Let's go Sox. Come on Lemon." He was yelling at a tone beyond "common sense", especially since we were way up in the upper deck and Chet couldn't possibly hear us. My dad started getting embarrassed and PO'd and started telling my uncle to SHUT UP. Then my uncle would yell again, only louder. This continued until they almost came to blows. I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT IS MY OLDEST WHITE SOX MEMORY BUT I'LL NEVER FORGET IT! It's the only thing I remember from the game. Fortunately we went to many others in '77, all without my uncle.

FielderJones
08-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Opening Day 1970, my friend Mike and I took the Northwestern from Elmhurst and walked to the el (I don't think they called it the Red Line in those days) to get to the park. I remember Tom Bradley pitching for the Sox, and Bee Bee Richard at shortstop. I think the Sox won that day.

tlebar318
08-03-2005, 10:47 AM
I think it was 1975 against the Indians and Frank Robinson was player/manager at the time. He slid spikes up into home plate and tore into Brian Downing. Downing went down in a heap and was laying on the field for a little while as Frank's spikes had broken the skin on Downing's upper thigh--yikes! Can't remember who won the game but the blood on Brian's uniform left an impression on me....

silenceofthehawk
08-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Meeting Ron Kittle at the local mall when I was six years old. He was the first ballplayer I got to meet, and he was really nice.

DenverSock
08-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Going with my college dorm (University of Chicago) as a group to a white Sox game in Spring '78. I was 18. I had seen a few games on TV before. Everybody remember Channel 32? BTW they lost. I believe they lost the first 20 games I went.

OzzieBall2005
08-03-2005, 12:52 PM
I am pretty sure it was '88 or '89, and I was like 5 or something so the game itself was the last of my worries. They lost to the A's I think. I was drinking this pop that was prolly as big as me when my dad went crazy towards the aisle to my left and knocked over my pop. I had no clue what was going on. The guy at the other side of the aisle got the foul ball.

BigEdWalsh
08-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Opening Day 1970, my friend Mike and I took the Northwestern from Elmhurst and walked to the el (I don't think they called it the Red Line in those days) to get to the park. I remember Tom Bradley pitching for the Sox, and Bee Bee Richard at shortstop. I think the Sox won that day.

Holy s***! I did the same thing only from Glen Ellyn. Maybe we were on the same train.
Only thing is the Sox lost that one 12-0 (worst opener ever?). You were thinking of '71. I was at that opening day too and they did win (despite Bee Bee).

PaleHoseGeorge
08-03-2005, 01:01 PM
I remember watching them on TV back in ol' blue socks/white stirrups period. The Sox were on WFLD and I remember thinking, "Gee, that is a truly terrible picture... much worse than the Cubs on WGN. And Jack Drees sounds like he ought to be covering the ponies..."

I also remember my first Sox game in 1971 sitting out behind the right field wall. Al Kaline was out there for Detroit. Being a night game, the color of the emerald green field was simply amazing coming up the dark ramp under the stands.

The Sox lost.
:(:

However they looked damned good wearing red pinstripes and red Adidas.
:cool:

MarySwiss
08-03-2005, 01:07 PM
It wasn't my earliest memory, but it's one of my favorites. I was at a game at old Comiskey, sitting along the 3rd base line, when Ron Kittle scored on a suicide squeeze. I remember seeing him running down the line and I'm thinking, "What the HELL are you doing?" Then I got it.

I also vaguely remember being at a doubleheader in which Wilbur Wood pitched in both games.

And my brother and I once participated in Banner Day. This was a promotion where you made a banner and marched in a parade around the field. Our banner was about how great Luis Aparicio was. We didn't win, although to this day, I say we should have. :smile:

Fake Chet Lemon
08-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Holy s***! I did the same thing only from Glen Ellyn. Maybe we were on the same train.
Only thing is the Sox lost that one 12-0 (worst opener ever?). You were thinking of '71. I was at that opening day too and they did win (despite Bee Bee).

I was at the first game in new Comiskey, I believe that was 16-0.

Bucky F. Dent
08-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Comiskey Park, upper deck, third base line. Wild ass emerald green seats, gorgeous green grass, Andy Frain guys, popcorn in a container that turned into a megaphone. Red pinstripes. Over and over and over again.
Gotta love it!

StockdaleForVeep
08-03-2005, 02:59 PM
I don't remember that video game commercial but I do remember "NEW! NEW! NEW! Bases Loaded 2!".

I don't remember what year it was that I first went to a sox game, I figure it was either 1986 or 1987. I remember it was against the Red Sox and I was sitting 1st row behind the Visiting Dugout.

A few other early memories were

a 17-2 thumping by the Oakland A's where I spent most of the game trying to bounce Lemonheads off the Athletics players helmets while they waited to bat.

a strange night where I don't even remember who played or what the final score was but the sky was a bizzare orange color and it scared the bejesus out of me since I was a catholic school student at the time and we had just covered death and the end of the world that afternoon. Heavy stuff for a seven year old, don't you think?

Seatcushion night where it rained white cushions down from the upper deck at the old stadium.

Harold Baines leg kick and Carlton Fisk's pre-atbat preperation (both of which I emulated in little league)

Rooney on Channel 32 and I vaguely remember a white sox commercial with a rap song (Home Run, Greg Walker Run)

Never played new bases loaded, the first was awesome enough, how every fielder moved the same way, nolan ryan throwin 102

my5thbench
08-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Saturday game of the week with Dizzy & Ol' Pee Wee....those great

Falstaff cartoon commercials & then

bottom of the 9th Sox & somebody are tied 9 to 9 & good ol' #9

Minnie Minoso comes to the plate..........you guessed it!

HOME RUNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

Dad & I went crazy

The Racehorse
08-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Growing up in Iowa, I remember watching the Sox on cable on either Channel 32 or 44 [can't remember which]...

I remember Harry Caray constantly plugging Falstaff beer and extolling the hitting virtues of Dick Allen... which would have been during the '72 to '74 timeframe.

MikeLove
08-03-2005, 04:13 PM
mine would be when i was a little kid, cant remember if it was at old or new comiskey, i was probably 8-10 at the time. We had really good seats, like inbetween the sox dugout and the screen, one of the first couple rows. ozzie tossed me a ball when he was ondeck or going back to the dugout or something =) dunno what happened to that ball, i probably hit it over the fence in my back yard or into some bushes or something lol

soxwon
08-03-2005, 06:18 PM
my first game 1965 sox vs yankees horlen vs whitey ford.

i was hooked.

I want Mags back
08-03-2005, 08:02 PM
My earliest Sox memories had to have come when I was 4, during the '94 season. Don't remember 93 to well. Anyway, I saw comercials about the 1964 turn back the clock game and beg my Dad to take me, and he did. He was always to lazy to buy tickets ahead of time so we went that night to buy tickets, and it's sold out. I was crying I was so sad, so we looked around and bought tickets from this old guy. I have no idea what he paid, but I doubt this 70+ year old white guy scapped them to us. They were right behind the Sox dugout in row 10 or so. It was a great game. Ron Karkovice hit a grand slam in the 4th or so. My dad then spotted one of his friends sitting in his companies season tiks in row 14 behind the plate. So we went and sat in some open seats by him. Then my dad'sfriend bought me ice cream. After about 2 licks of the ice cream cone I felt really sick. I had eaten alot before that, so my dad took me to the bathroom, where I threw up. I threw up alot at games when I was little. to end, the Sox won, and I was happy

eastchicagosoxfan
08-03-2005, 08:08 PM
In 1975, I was seven, and I went on the Club Ki-Yowga Little League trip to see the Sox play. We rode a school bus to the park, via the Skyway. I found it odd that we pulled up to see the White Sox play, but the building was this big green thing. I couldn't figure out where the diamond was either. I think the Sox played the Twins.

mike squires
08-03-2005, 10:11 PM
My earliest Sox memories had to have come when I was 4, during the '94 season. Don't remember 93 to well. Anyway, I saw comercials about the 1964 turn back the clock game and beg my Dad to take me, and he did. He was always to lazy to buy tickets ahead of time so we went that night to buy tickets, and it's sold out. I was crying I was so sad, so we looked around and bought tickets from this old guy. I have no idea what he paid, but I doubt this 70+ year old white guy scapped them to us. They were right behind the Sox dugout in row 10 or so. It was a great game. Ron Karkovice hit a grand slam in the 4th or so. My dad then spotted one of his friends sitting in his companies season tiks in row 14 behind the plate. So we went and sat in some open seats by him. Then my dad'sfriend bought me ice cream. After about 2 licks of the ice cream cone I felt really sick. I had eaten alot before that, so my dad took me to the bathroom, where I threw up. I threw up alot at games when I was little. to end, the Sox won, and I was happy

I threw up a lot when i was a kid. Usually on the way home from a game after a Sox lost. I went to a Cub game in 82 and threw up before I even entered the park. Did it right there in the guys' car. That sums up how I feel about the team.

Stroker Ace
08-04-2005, 11:44 PM
If it counts, while shopping for clothes for my first day of 1st grade, I picked out this Sox shirt that was really cool. It was uncomfortable, but I didn't care.

Rooney4Prez56
08-05-2005, 09:18 AM
The first baseball game I ever saw was a Sox game. I don't rememeber who the Sox played, or who won. I only remember that Big Frank hit a home run, and the fireworks went off. I've been a Sox an ever since.

Revolutn
08-05-2005, 05:10 PM
I remember watching the Sox of the 76 -77 era on TV and being a fan of Chet Lemmon lol how funny is that? Goofy *** diving headfirst into 1st base style player.

Beyond that I remember being at some games very young and having inner ear problems, the fireworks hurt my ears badly when the scoreboard went off. It wasn't that I was afraid of the noise, it physically HURT.

Still somehow :) despite the potentially tramatic experience ha-ha, I remained Die-Hard.

My first real memory of being at a game and a particular play or series of events sticking in my brain would have to be 1983 old Comiskey triple shot back-to-back-to-back homeruns by Kittle, Fisk and Luzinski. I can even clearly remember that Fisk's homer was an upper deck shot and that Greg the BULL parked his ON THE FREAKING LEFT FIELD ROOF, an absolute BOMB of a homerun. Can't say I recall Kittles location, though I want to say lower level left or left-centerish.

So can ya dig it, I dressed up as Ron Kittle for Halloween his rookie season.

For point of reference I was born in 73 so....for whatever that's worth.

SouthSiiiiiiiidddddddddddeee!

Rev

chisoxfan64
08-05-2005, 05:15 PM
I was in the womb, mom sat with her belly by the radio so I could hear the games.:D:

BigEdWalsh
08-05-2005, 06:42 PM
My earliest memory of the White Sox was from baseball cards. I thought Louie Aparicio was the coolest guy alive. I began to follow the Sox in the mid-50's and listened to many a game on the radio before I ever saw a game on TV, much less in person. I never even knew why I hated the Cubs but I always did. The first game I ever saw on TV was a Cub game and I hated them already.

whitesoxfan1986
08-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Don't remember much about the Sox, but I do remember going to Nolan Ryan's 300th Win. That is my first baseball memory

johnny bench
08-06-2005, 01:52 AM
My first memory is of Gary Peters hitting a grand slam on a Sunday afternoon game. After a couple of hours of digging I found it: May 5, 1968 against the Yankees. A guy named Mantle was playing first base that day. It was Bill Melton's second game in the big leagues.

Revolutn
08-06-2005, 04:01 PM
"The Purple Guy," as my uncle referred to him (the old Sox mascot. Anyone remember his name?!), came for a visit in our box and tried to eat some of the food!

Ribbie and Rhubarb. Though I can't be sure of the spelling they used.

Ribbie was the purplish ant eater nosed lookin thing and Rubbarb was the hmm yellowish? other errr 'thing'.

SooouthSiiiiiiide!

Rev

SOXSINCE'70
08-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Watching Bill Melton become the first Sox player to hit 30 HR's
in a season in 1970.That team won an INCREDIBLE 56 games.:D: :D:

The next year,Melton won the HR title,beating Reggie
Jackson by one. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

ChiSoxGirl
08-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Ribbie and Rhubarb. Though I can't be sure of the spelling they used.

Ribbie was the purplish ant eater nosed lookin thing and Rubbarb was the hmm yellowish? other errr 'thing'.

SooouthSiiiiiiide!

Rev

Hmmm.... Those named sounded a little familiar to me. I initially remembered the "purple guy" having the ant eater-ish nose; sorta reminds me of the Philly Fanatic's facial features!

Thanks for the information, though! :smile:

RKMeibalane
08-06-2005, 04:40 PM
I first started following baseball on a regular basis in 1992. I remember watching the ESPN Sunday Night Baseball telecast of a Sox-Yankees game from Yankee Stadium. Robin Ventura came to bat in the first, as he was actually hitting second at this point. John Miller remarked that Ventura had homered in two straight games against the Yankees, and not two seconds later, Robin smoked a ball into the RF stands. Miller yelled out, "Just like he's going to do, today!" as the ball sailed into the seats. Classic.