PDA

View Full Version : "Batman Begins" is the reason the Sox should WANT to play the A's?

Bisco Stu
08-02-2005, 11:41 PM
For those who've seen Batman Begins (incredible movie BTW, and this coming from a Marvel biased fan, not much of a DC fan), you might get where I'm coming from.

One of the central themes of the film is facing your fears, and turning around your fears into an personal advantage. Bruce Wayne fears bats, so he becomes Batman.

Anyway, my concept relates to my general anger at fans of any team that wish they could play an "easy opponent" or wish that a tough opponent's key players would "get injured."

Those are hollow victories, worthy only of the Flubs.

I want the Sox to BEAT THE BEST IN ORDER TO BE THE BEST.

Hope we play the A's and Red Sox/Yankees in the AL playoffs and then the Cardinals (or maybe the Astros, huh?) in the World Series.

Beat those teams and there's no doubt we're the best team in baseball, not to mention the satisfaction over beating the A's who have dominated us since 01.

Chisox003
08-02-2005, 11:48 PM
For those who've seen Batman Begins (incredible movie BTW, and this coming from a Marvel biased fan, not much of a DC fan), you might get where I'm coming from.

One of the central themes of the film is facing your fears, and turning around your fears into an personal advantage. Bruce Wayne fears bats, so he becomes Batman.

Anyway, my concept relates to my general anger at fans of any team that wish they could play an "easy opponent" or wish that a tough opponent's key players would "get injured."

Hope we play the A's and Red Sox/Yankees in the AL playoffs and then the Cardinals (or maybe the Astros, huh?) in the World Series.

Beat those teams and there's no doubt we're the best team in baseball, not to mention the satisfaction over beating the A's who have dominated us since 01.

Put it down or share....

:bong:

Bisco Stu
08-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Put it down or share....

:bong:

Actually, I was bong-free when I came up with that one.

It was the only 4 minutes and 20 seconds I happened to be sober that particular day, but sober nonetheless.

Ol' No. 2
08-03-2005, 08:48 AM

Beat those teams and there's no doubt we're the best team in baseball, not to mention the satisfaction over beating the A's who have dominated us since 01.Amen. The essence of "Champion" is to be able to beat all comers. The Sox are still the best team in baseball and the road to the World Series goes through Chicago. If the A's are the Sox' opponent, bring 'em on.

Heffalump
08-03-2005, 08:54 AM
The Sox will take on all comers.............Really, how sweet would it be to win three straight from Oakland in the ALDS???

Very sweet.

P.S. - I am afraid of clowns.

GO Sox !!!

Jerko
08-03-2005, 08:54 AM
Sounds like Ric Flair started this thread. "In order to be the man, you gotta beat the man".

Baby Fisk
08-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Bisco Stu is right. I've been meaning to post something like this in one of those "We So Scared Of Oakland!" threads, but you beat me to it. My dream playoff scenario:

ALDS: Sox defeat Oakland (monkey off our backs)
ALCS: Sox defeat Boston (dethrone the world champions)
WS: Sox defeat St. Louis (beat the best of the rest)

Sorry if this scares some of you...

LVSoxFan
08-03-2005, 09:46 AM
While I hope we don't have to play them, I can't disagree with this idea.

Also, because if we did and we do beat them, that would be such a confidence-builder I think the Big Mo would make us near unstoppable as we faced the next opponent.

Like everybody says, if we're going to be the best, we need to take on all comers.

(Caviat: sometimes the best teams don't win the WS because of the matchups beforehand--that's just the way it goes).

maurice
08-03-2005, 11:54 AM
One thing going for us: BB teams lose in the playoffs. :D:

One thing going against us: Sox teams lose in the playoffs. :angry:

Lip Man 1
08-03-2005, 12:04 PM
As stated I have no problem playing the A's...in the second round.

It's a best of seven not a best of five....that way when one of those bizarre amazing things happen to the Sox in Oakland like Buehrle's throwing error or Mark Kotsey hitting his first home run in three months, it doesn't kill them.

Lip

BridgePortNative
08-03-2005, 12:05 PM

Um.......... maybe a little too much TV/Comic book time for you, although beating them woul be the ultimate chalenge

MarySwiss
08-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Bisco Stu is right. I've been meaning to post something like this in one of those "We So Scared Of Oakland!" threads, but you beat me to it. My dream playoff scenario:

This is so true. I was already living out here in Ariz. for the 2001 Series, and my aunt in Tinley Park told me she was sorry that the D'Backs had to play the Yankees. I said, "I'm not." And that Series title wouldn't have meant nearly as much as it did if the D'Backs had won it against Seattle--or anyone else for that matter.

I have great memories of that World Series (well, games 1, 2, 6 & 7) and I'm looking forward to even greater memories from this one.

RichFitztightly
08-03-2005, 01:24 PM
I just want to see a World Champion some day. I don't care how it comes about or who the Sox have to beat.

You don't get style points in the playoffs, you either get a trophy or you go home.

gf2020
08-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Batman Begins is not the movie with relevance to this situation...

"I want Parkman."

MIgrenade
08-03-2005, 06:06 PM

It sounds great and it would be after it happened, but right now I wouldn't mind seeing the Royals get in the mix here.

Actually I was frightened last night when I had a bad nightmare involving the Sox getting beat in 3 straight by the Orioles in the ALDS. I actually saw Sosa celebrating. This is the third Sox dream I've had and the other two were WS wins (I have problems). This one scared me.

gosox41
08-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Amen. The essence of "Champion" is to be able to beat all comers. The Sox are still the best team in baseball and the road to the World Series goes through Chicago. If the A's are the Sox' opponent, bring 'em on.

That's what I say. I hope we play the A's at some point in the playoffs because I am 100% confident we can beat them

On a different note, it's kind of fun watching all the Oakland A (and Beane) haters fear the A's. He went from being a lucky GM who people incorrectly assumed inherited all 3 pitchers, to a complete idiot who traded away 2 of his 3 aces during the offseason when the A's were 15 games under, to a team that certain Sox fans are fearing.

And please no more talk of bad luck or curses or whatever against the A's. It's a Cub excuse.

Bob

Baby Fisk
08-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Saw Batman Begins again last night. There's an excellent line that Liam Neeson delivers to Christian Bale:

"In order to conquer fear, you must BECOME fear."

Oh yeah... uh-huh... that's the stuff... :yup: