PDA

View Full Version : Fans coming and going during a pitch

ChicagoHoosier
08-02-2005, 11:34 PM
Have you all experience the same pain I've been experiencing lately? The past few games I've gone too (and maybe it's happened earlier and recently I'm more sensitive to it) I've had more people in the row in front of me come and go during the middle of a pitch. Tonight was horrible, when the 2-run homer was hit to right field, a mother and her daughter made two people in front of me stand up, as well as her blocking my sight, and I barely saw what happened. My friend next to me asked "what happened, did we walk him" because he had no idea. I was already upset because of the homer, but this got me even more mad. I tapped her on the shoulder and politely asked her next time to please wait until there's a break inbetween pitches to quickly move back to her seat because I just missed seeing the home run. She just shrugged and never even apologized and said "well, it was just them hitting the homer."

This happening to you? Is there any better way to prevent this than asking after it's happened to not have it happen again? If someone tries to come into my row during a pitch, I ask them to wait and I don't stand up for them. But, is there anything that can be done, or does it just come with the territory (as an older thread suggested with more casual fans coming)?

I know that when my son or daughter is old enough to come to a ballgame, they will be taught ettiquette from their first game.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2005, 11:39 PM
I don't know, but do you really need to cover half the screen with your signature?

StockdaleForVeep
08-02-2005, 11:49 PM
No way to stop it but yell

One of the few good things the Blackhawks do is have the ushers have a novelty stop sign to make people stay while the puck is in play

I personally do my best to not get out of my seat untill end of an inning cuz hell, why miss any ball?

gr8mexico
08-02-2005, 11:50 PM
That's DUMB! When you have kids and they don't stop crying or they really have to use the bathroom then you will understand. Then there will be a guy just like you bitching about how he mist a HR that didn't mean ANYTHING!!!

batmanZoSo
08-02-2005, 11:52 PM
I don't know, but do you really need to cover half the screen with your signature?

Let's hope he never gets season tickets, hm? :o:

StockdaleForVeep

Imagine if he had season tickets
:bundy

SoxFan76
Yes, TODAY!!! There was about 3 rows of people who all knew each other, and they were getting up throughout the ENTIRE GAME. They didn't do this between innings either, they did it DURING THE GAME. And not only that, they did it in the bottom half of every inning. We tried to talk as loud as we could to show them our frustration, but they didn't get the hint.

Ok, so there were a lot of little kids. However, I did not hear them talking or whining much at all, it was just the parents getting up every 2 seconds. I kept saying to them that they should just stay on the concourse where they can stand all they want and all the food is easy to get to.

BTW, I was in section 533.

FarWestChicago
Let's hope he never gets season tickets, hm? :o::roflmao:

dcb33
08-02-2005, 11:59 PM
I find it incredibly rude and annoying when others in front of me block my view during the game. Equally frustrating is when people next to me demand that I get up while the game is going on so they can go to the bathroom or get more food/drink.

I always wait until an inning is over when I need to leave my seat and if I return to my section before the action is finished I sit in an empty aisle seat near my assigned seat until there's a break in the game so as not to inconvenience or distract others.

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 12:00 AM
Yes, TODAY!!! There was about 3 rows of people who all knew each other, and they were getting up throughout the ENTIRE GAME. They didn't do this between innings either, they did it DURING THE GAME. And not only that, they did it in the bottom half of every inning. We tried to talk as loud as we could to show them our frustration, but they didn't get the hint.

Ok, so there were a lot of little kids. However, I did not hear them talking or whining much at all, it was just the parents getting up every 2 seconds. I kept saying to them that they should just stay on the concourse where they can stand all they want and all the food is easy to get to.

BTW, I was in section 533.

I've always found that yelling, "Sit down" works. It did for us tonight when two women sat up for no apparent reason in the bottom of the first through about three pitches.

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 12:01 AM
I find it incredibly rude and annoying when others in front of me block my view during the game. Equally frustrating is when people next to me demand that I get up while the game is going on so they can go to the bathroom or get more food/drink.

I always wait until an inning is over when I need to leave my seat and if I return to my section before the action is over I sit in an empty aisle seat near my assigned seat until the inning is over so as not to inconvenience or distract others.

I don't mind if the people are old. They might not be wearing their Depends.

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2005, 01:28 AM
A couple of years ago, I was at a game when there were runners on second and third, and Frank Thomas at bat. People found it necessary to get up and make their way to the aisle.

Please, just what could be more important than watching Big Frank with runners in scoring position? If you don't appreciate that situation, please don't come to the game.

TheOldRoman
08-03-2005, 01:47 AM
This same exact thing happened to me tonight. I was in row 10 of section 536, sitting on the isle, and EVERY TEN MIN these people to my right had to get up and leave their seats. There were 3 young girls who each took about 5 trips to the bathroom/concessions. I was about ready to scream at them when they asked us to stand and let them by during an at bat in the 7th inning. To the right of them there was a huge bitch with some douchebag in a Maple Leafs jersey. Not only were the Leafs jersey guy and his girl cheering against our Sox and getting up several times, they were rude as all hell. There was a midly retarded (not joking) beer vendor working my section, and since he was so slow, the lines of people backed way up behind him, causing more people to stand in the isles and block my view. And then there were some people in front of me who appeared to be from out of town. Two thirtysomething couples, and the women each got up 5+ times. There are always clueless morons who stand during at bats, but today was ridiculous. The entire section was doing that crap all night long. I was furious.

Trav
08-03-2005, 02:23 AM
What is Sox Park's official policy on letting fans to go their seats during play? Being a pro-family park I would imagine it is a very liberal stance but does anyone know for sure? I would like it if all parks would not have vendors during play as well.

gr8tmexico, I don't think anyone expects little kids to adhere to those rules just as I doubt those same little kids can pay attention to the game for 2+ hours. Adults, however, need to set an example for their kids and by the time they can follow the game they understand what is tolerated and what is not. This is how we extinguish things like the wave, folks.

CLR01
08-03-2005, 03:14 AM
To the right of them there was a huge bitch with some douchebag in a Maple Leafs jersey. Not only were the Leafs jersey guy and his girl cheering against our Sox and getting up several times, they were rude as all hell. There was a midly retarded (not joking) beer vendor working my section,

What a fine contribution this was to WSI. :rolleyes:

You are no longer at Soxtalk. Tone it down.

Mercy!
08-03-2005, 04:17 AM
.... there was a huge bitch with some douchebag in a Maple Leafs jersey. Not only were the Leafs jersey guy and his girl cheering against our Sox and getting up several times, they were rude as all hell. There was a midly retarded (not joking) beer vendor working my section, and since he was so slow, the lines of people backed way up behind him, causing more people to stand in the isles and block my view. And then there were some people in front of me who appeared to be from out of town....
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/PollyannaRoe/timeline.jpg

cbone
08-03-2005, 04:44 AM
What a fine contribution this was to WSI. :rolleyes:

You are no longer at Soxtalk. Tone it down.

Thank You. That's about as offensive as it gets. My son likes to peruse to boards with me, as he is also a huge Sox fan. I'm glad he missed this one.

Viva Medias B's
08-03-2005, 07:28 AM
I was waiting for a thread like this. At my games, I sit on the aisle. Usually, I have to get up between half innings to let people in/out which is understandable. But, nowadays, I have to get up and down constantly. Once again, we have frontrunners showing up at the ballpark who don't know how to act at ballgames.

JimH
08-03-2005, 07:47 AM
Two thoughts ...

I don't mind if someone walks by me once when the game is going on, but the 2nd time I will ask them nicely, "would it be ok if you waited in between batters or innings, so we don't miss a play, we'd appreciate it."

I'd say 3/4 of the time, that works. Expecting people to simply "get the hint" rarely works, they're clueless about their behavior to begin with. For the 1/4 time people choose to get obstinate about a polite, simple and reasonable request ... well, it depends on the situation. I'm not gonna argue with a pack of beer swilling frat boys with backwards baseball caps who are just itchin' for a problem. Not worth it.

2nd thought: My father took me to my first game when I was four, this goes for baseball and hockey. Sure, there were times I wanted to go to the bathroom or get some popcorn while play was going on. He only had to say once or twice: "Be considerate of other people trying to watch the game. Wait for the play to stop." I completely understand about kids needs and impulses, but generally those kids parents don't really care about walking in front of someone while the play is going on. Once, I understand. Twice, I'll say something. Fair is fair.

downstairs
08-03-2005, 07:50 AM
That's DUMB! When you have kids and they don't stop crying or they really have to use the bathroom then you will understand. Then there will be a guy just like you bitching about how he mist a HR that didn't mean ANYTHING!!!

No, its rude. You, as a parent, have a responsibility to control your kids and keep them quiet in a public place. No two ways about it. Plenty of people do a fine job controlling their kids, so can you.

You wouldn't want me swearing up a storm in front of your kids, I don't want your kids crying up a storm in front of me.

PeteWard
08-03-2005, 08:00 AM
No, its rude. You, as a parent, have a responsibility to control your kids and keep them quiet in a public place. No two ways about it. Plenty of people do a fine job controlling their kids, so can you.

You wouldn't want me swearing up a storm in front of your kids, I don't want your kids crying up a storm in front of me.

God, no kidding. I just had a hellish experience at a restaurant where the kids ran amok and the parents did nothing. I had to get the manager. Parents today let their children run absolutely wild in public: games, airports, restaurants, you name it. If parents can't control their kids in public they have failed as parents in teaching thier children basic social graces and should keep their whole brood at home playing video games and watching bad TV.

Realist
08-03-2005, 08:04 AM
This practice of folks slithering down the steps to their seats without at least waiting between batters has been driving me crazy for years. I can't stand it and I make a point of trying to wait between innings before I go back to my seat, or at least waiting between batters. To not do so is just plain rude and uncivil.

I went to the Sox/Snakes series in Arizona a couple of years ago and the ushers held up cards blocking the top of the aisle that said "Please Wait Between Batters" or something like that. That was cool and I wish they did that at Sox Park, but I think they'd have to replace half the slack-jawwed little kids that are ushers now. I dunno if anybody else has noticed, but the Cell's ushers aren't the sharpest crayons in its box. I'm thinking holding up a card might be a lil' too complicated.

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 08:13 AM
On the topic of kids, I was sitting next to a couple of people the other night at a Cougars game who were there with their two grandsons. The older one was about six (front teeth missing). The younger one looked to be about a year or so younger.

Both were extremely well behaved considering their age. They got up several times, but always found a way to do it where it would cause the least disturbance. The kids for the most part kept to their seats (unlike the ones there who are running around all the time).

On the other hand, last night we sat next to a couple of twenty-something women at the Sox game. They arrived late (during an at bat) left their seats a half-dozen times (during at bats) and left early (during an at bat). If only some adults could behave as well as some 4-6 year olds.

jdm2662
08-03-2005, 08:22 AM
I myself usually wait until between innings before I go back to my seat. I didn't have a problem yesterday at all. People seemed to know when to leave between innings.

As for kids running around and shouting in public, my parents layed the law down and told me to sit down and shut up in public. If I whined, I was told to shut up, etc. It wasn't allowed.
________
Lexus Sc History (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Lexus_SC)

Sad
08-03-2005, 08:26 AM
and, if it's the beer vendor I'm thinking of... he's slightly deformed, not retarded...
:rolleyes:
although I don't know him personally, he seems quite capable of pouring beer & carrying on conversation every time I've been around him.

Brian26
08-03-2005, 09:03 AM
On the other hand, last night we sat next to a couple of twenty-something women at the Sox game. They arrived late (during an at bat) left their seats a half-dozen times (during at bats) and left early (during an at bat). If only some adults could behave as well as some 4-6 year olds.

I've seen it a million times. I'm sure they were working their cell phones all night too. And these types are more interested in where the beer vendor is than what's going on on the field.

Jerko
08-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Our seats are the first 3 off the aisle in section 158. A lot of times, the seats next to us are empty, so people from OTHER ROWS climb over 2 or 3 rows of seats just to come out of our aisle. If they do it once, fine, but after the 2nd time we just don't move for them anymore. At the UC, at least for hockey, the ushers hold you back until there's a whistle. Finding an usher at the Cell recently has been a task in and of itself however, so I don't see any way to police this problem unless we do it ourselves.

cheeses_h_rice
08-03-2005, 09:16 AM
In defense of the interrupters, when I'm returning to my seat in the UD, it's very difficult to "time" the walk up the stairs so that you arrive at your row right between batters or innings, so I often end up having to bug people to get up and let me by. I do this maybe once or twice a game, though, so I try to keep the disruptions to a minimum.

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 09:17 AM
There isn't much good to say about the Metrodome except for one policy that they have. The ushers hold people at the top of the aisle until there is a break in the action that will allow people to return to their seats without disrupting other fans who are watching the game.

brewcrew/chisox
08-03-2005, 09:25 AM
This practice of folks slithering down the steps to their seats without at least waiting between batters has been driving me crazy for years. I can't stand it and I make a point of trying to wait between innings before I go back to my seat, or at least waiting between batters. To not do so is just plain rude and uncivil.

I went to the Sox/Snakes series in Arizona a couple of years ago and the ushers held up cards blocking the top of the aisle that said "Please Wait Between Batters" or something like that. That was cool and I wish they did that at Sox Park, but I think they'd have to replace half the slack-jawwed little kids that are ushers now. I dunno if anybody else has noticed, but the Cell's ushers aren't the sharpest crayons in its box. I'm thinking holding up a card might be a lil' too complicated.

I was at one of those games too and remember the sign. From what I remember though, we had to wait between innings, and not batters, and I was a little ticked off.

At a Brewers game last weekend, my brother and I sat next to a family with about 4 kids. At the bottom of the first inning, the Mom broke out the crack cocaine for kids: Pixie Sticks. I leaned over to my brother and said, "by the 3rd inning, we are going to want to punt these kids." Sure enough, after about their 6th stick each, those kids were so jacked up on sugar, it was unbearable. We saw a row of seats a little ways down from our own though and sat there.

BearSox
08-03-2005, 09:37 AM
I had all the same frustrations last night but one thing that frustrated me more were the people who think they have to stand while they wait for the beer/food from the vendor to be passed to them. As far as what to say to people...I always yell "DOWN IN FRONT" which gets the job done and is very subtle to say.

Dick Allen
08-03-2005, 09:51 AM
I really wish parents would wait until kids are old enough to actually know and care what's going on in the game before bringing them. Of course, as we see all too often, adults can be worse than kids. It's become a country of stupid people.

Stroker Ace
08-03-2005, 09:58 AM
That's DUMB! When you have kids and they don't stop crying or they really have to use the bathroom then you will understand. Then there will be a guy just like you bitching about how he mist a HR that didn't mean ANYTHING!!!Last time I checked, the pitch doesn't take 5 min. to get to home plate. There is plenty of time to get up between pitches.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-03-2005, 10:00 AM
* I have two small kids. They don't give a **** what the pitch count is. If I have to get up because they have to use the restroom NOW or they are going to scream and annoy everyone far more if I stay in my seat I get up.

* If my cell phone rings, rather than annoy everyone with my conversation I politely IMMEDIATELY GET UP and walk to the concourse. I think people would prefer that be done than I stay in my seat and yell over the crowd noise.

* If you can't handle crowds, STAY HOME. It goes with the territory. The games are all on TV, enjoy them in your uncrowded living room.

ChicagoHoosier
08-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Okay, i changed my sig to now show all the games I went to. I saw others doing it and thought it was cool to keep track.

I'm not trying to bitch on this board about kids coming to games, and I agree I have NO IDEA as a parent if I'll do a better or worse job about my kid's behavior at a game. I understand the points several of you are making about when kids have to go, they have to go, but I think that can be and should be taught to a child at their first ballgame. Children learn "please" and "thank you" and this is no different.

I think the problem stems from the adults and then is just magnified with the children. But, in my case last night, it was the mother who seemed clueless and didn't even apologize when I politely told her she had blocked my view.

I agree that if you're in the UD, it's very hard to time getting back to your seat inbetween a pitch, but I feel you can still sit down in the aisle or crouch down if you arrive at your row right before a pitch is thrown.

Seems like the best way to combat this is either talk to an usher if you can't prevent it yourself, or simply be polite the first time it happens, but get your point across, and hope they respect the rest of the fans a little more after that.

kittle42
08-03-2005, 10:03 AM
* I have two small kids. They don't give a **** what the pitch count is. If I have to get up because they have to use the restroom NOW or they are going to scream and annoy everyone far more if I stay in my seat I get up.

* If my cell phone rings, rather than annoy everyone with my conversation I politely IMMEDIATELY GET UP and walk to the concourse. I think people would prefer that be done than I stay in my seat and yell over the crowd noise.

* If you can't handle crowds, STAY HOME. It goes with the territory. The games are all on TV, enjoy them in your uncrowded living room.

My initial reaction to this thread was to agree with everyone on the other side of this issue than FCL is on. However, he has several valid points, and I think that exceptions should definitely be made for people with children and situations such as cell phone conversation. It sounds like what most people here are ticked about are the Wrigley-esque folks who just jobber jabber away the whole game and stand up every 5-10 minutes. Those people should stay at Clark and Addison.

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 10:04 AM

1) Why do you bring small children to a ball game if you know they're going to be bothering the people around you?

2) Turn off your cell phone and give us all a break. If you have a job in which you are on call, and that's why you need a cell phone, don't go to the game. If you're taking personal calls, you are just being annoying.

3) If you can't handle crowd etiquette, don't bother to come to a game.

Iwritecode
08-03-2005, 10:06 AM
As for kids running around and shouting in public, my parents layed the law down and told me to sit down and shut up in public. If I whined, I was told to shut up, etc. It wasn't allowed.

I think that's considered child abuse now... :rolleyes:

Iwritecode
08-03-2005, 10:09 AM

They're too busy checking ticket stubs and making sure nobody is taking the infamous "Comiskey upgrade".

downstairs
08-03-2005, 10:11 AM

1. I don't know you or your kids. I know many good parents who have somehow taught their kids to be polite and quiet. My parents did, and my NATURE was to be a loudmouth brat. That didn't fly in public.

For crissakes! They're kids! They're going to be brats... you're supposed to be using public events to teach them how to act! That's your job. Its supposed to be a bit of a challenge!

2. How the heck can anyone actually DEFEND using a cel phone in public? You're kidding, right?

3. So if I were to sit behind you and the kids, swearing at every out, yelling profane things at women I found attractive, spilling my beer all over.... I could use this argument back at you?

Fake Chet Lemon
08-03-2005, 10:11 AM
1) Why do you bring small children to a ball game if you know they're going to be bothering the people around you?

Why do I bring my family to a baseball game? If you have to ask that you know very little about raising a family, and just as little about the joys of baseball.

We have become a country of selfish self centered people who think the world was CREATED FOR THEM. Instead of reaching out and asking a young mother struggling with her kids if she can use a hand, we would rather complain about her and call her a bitch because she is very mildly intruding on your world. It's really sad.

Baby Fisk
08-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Perhaps this kind of etiquette is all a matter of conditioning. At Skydome/Rogers Centre, there are ushers at the entrance to every seating section. At the start of games, they are there to check tickets and point people to their seats. Once the game is underway, they become informal traffic cops. If someone wants to return to their seats, they are politely asked to wait until the inning is over, or at least to wait until a break in play. Sure enough, after being conditioned to wait to return to your seats at the appropriate times, fans also become conditioned to getting up and leaving their seats at appropriate times. Even with the Rogers Centre only half full for most games this season, there's usually never a problem with people around me getting up at the wrong time. Is this policy in effect at USCF?

As for using cell phones at the game: how serious are your phone calls if you have to take them during a ballgame? Just enjoy the game! The world will wait for you if you are that important, no? Seriously, bolting out of one's seat to take a phone call in the middle of an inning should only apply if you work for the Dept of Homeland Security.

downstairs
08-03-2005, 10:15 AM
And one more caveat about the cel phone thing....

If I know I need to be around for a call (I own a business, it does happen)... I go somewhere that's not around others. Heck, I can't stand trying to take calls with a lot of noise, as much as others would hate me trying to take the call in a crowd.

For example, if I know a business call is coming in... I'd go to a corner the concourse, or just outside the Bullpen bar, etc.

Secondly... that's what voicemail is for. Don't tell me there is ever a call you "need" to take. If there was, you wouldn't be relying on a cel phone- which goes in and out of signal- to get that call.

Let the call go to voicemail. Get up during the inning break. Go somewhere out of the crowd. Call the dude back.

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Why do I bring my family to a baseball game? If you have to ask that you know very little about raising a family, and just as little about the joys of baseball.

We have become a country of selfish self centered people who think the world was CREATED FOR THEM. Instead of reaching out and asking a young mother struggling with her kids if she can use a hand, we would rather complain about her a call her a bitch because she is very mildly intruding on your world. It's really sad.

Sorry, I never called anyone a bitch. On the other hand, I also taught my kid when I took him to games, that it was impolite to whine and that if he had to use the bathroom, that he would have to wait until our taking him there wouldn't disturb other people who were trying to watch the game. What I said was, "If you can't do that, don't take your kids to the game."

BTW, I took Jeff to his first game when he was six. He bothered no one.

downstairs
08-03-2005, 10:18 AM
We have become a country of selfish self centered people who think the world was CREATED FOR THEM. Instead of reaching out and asking a young mother struggling with her kids if she can use a hand, we would rather complain about her and call her a bitch because she is very mildly intruding on your world. It's really sad.

Big difference. If this proverbial struggling mother is clearly disciplining/teaching her kids right, and the kids are polite and well-mannered.... of course... that's fine, and indeed I would lend a hand where need be.

Every single kid that cries in public is not the point.

But more often than not it is dead-on clear that its the parents lack of teaching and discipline.

Heck, most of the time this happens... the parents don't even tell their kids that its wrong!

Jerko
08-03-2005, 10:21 AM
I think I know what FCL was trying to say, he just didn't phrase it very well. Yes, if I were sitting next to a kid who was about to soil himself, I would expect the parent to take him/her to the john in time so I wouldn't have to sit next to a kid that's in a puddle of his own waste for the rest of the day. That's a no-brainer. There ARE times where you just "have" to get up and go. That's not what people are complaining about though, IMO. I've seen people get up and down about 5 times before the first half inning is over; that's just being ignorant. And bringing up the cellphone was just asking for trouble. But again, if he has to take a call, I'd rather him get the hell up to the concourse instead of "sharing" his life story with me. After a few times though, it's time to take control and be considerate of the people around you. The whole park isn't there to accomodate your kids and cell phone habits, they're there for the game. Well, some of us anyway. There are times where I know I have to get up a lot so I just stay on the concourse.

tschneid83
08-03-2005, 10:24 AM
I think that's considered child abuse now... :rolleyes:

I was going to give a big LOL about that but then I realized that it might be true with some people. sad, truly sad.

downstairs
08-03-2005, 10:24 AM
There are times where I know I have to get up a lot so I just stay on the concourse.

Thank you!

Yeah... sometimes I do as well, just because there are days when I just don't want to sit in one place... want to go get lots of food/beer.... just hang out and babble on with friends.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-03-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm more annoyed by the group of guys with the beer vendor parked in front of our section every half inning for 90 seconds as he pours them another four beers. That beer vendor ususally blocks my view far more in a night than any 3-year old. And I don't ask people to pass my kids diapers down the aisle every half inning, but I REALLY APPRECIATE passing your beers and money down continually. Are any of you people with no tolerence for young kids the same people who keep calling the beer vendor over, Hummmmmmm?

BTY, these are usually the guy's dropping F-bombs by the 4th inning too. By far the worst fans at a ballgame. I WISH they would get up and walk around.

TDog
08-03-2005, 10:32 AM
I went to the Sox/Snakes series in Arizona a couple of years ago and the ushers held up cards blocking the top of the aisle that said "Please Wait Between Batters" or something like that. ...

When I went to DBacks games, and it's been five summers now, they didn't let people go down to their seats while play was in progress. And there were no beer vendors. It was great. No teal intended.

What I didn't like about the ushers was how they wouldn't let people go down to field level before the game to get autographs unless they had field-level tickets.

tschneid83
08-03-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm more annoyed by the group of guys with the beer vendor parked in front of our section every half inning for 90 seconds as he pours them another four beers. That beer vendor ususally blocks my view far more in a night than any 3-year old. And I don't ask people to pass my kids diapers down the aisle every half inning, but I REALLY APPRECIATE passing your beers and money down continually. Are any of you people with no tolerence for young kids the same people who keep calling the beer vendor over, Hummmmmmm?

Tell the guys buying the beer to get up and go get four beers. One beer, eh does not take that long to pour but yes I agree pouring four and then exchanging money can take a long time. Tell the vendor to move as well.

Iwritecode
08-03-2005, 10:34 AM
I was going to give a big LOL about that but then I realized that it might be true with some people. sad, truly sad.

You'll notice I didn't use teal.

Seriously, you can't look at your kids cross-eyed without getting in trouble anymore...

downstairs
08-03-2005, 10:36 AM

Check and check.

I go get my own damn beer, duing inning breaks, in the concourse.

I've never done the money pass-down, and never liked it.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Tell the guys buying the beer to get up and go get four beers. One beer, eh does not take that long to pour but yes I agree pouring four and then exchanging money can take a long time. Tell the vendor to move as well.

But then we are back to our original problem.....PEOPLE GETTING UP! :D:

tschneid83
08-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Like many have mentioned I was taught to be well-mannered at baseball games but the crowds on the south side have not always been like this have they? It just seems that it has gotten worse as the years went on.

Can anyone help me out on this one.

tschneid83
08-03-2005, 10:45 AM
But then we are back to our original problem.....PEOPLE GETTING UP! :D:

:) <<<<< we are going around in circles here.

Of course we would have to apply the etiquette we have all discussed.

downstairs
08-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Like many have mentioned I was taught to be well-mannered at baseball games but the crowds on the south side have not always been like this have they? It just seems that it has gotten worse as the years went on.

Can anyone help me out on this one.

Has nothing to do with the South Side. Its society. And I think it has a lot to do with the "kids" part of this argument.

People are too lazy to teach their kids manners. They grow up and have their own kids and teach them less manners.

tschneid83
08-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Has nothing to do with the South Side. Its society. And I think it has a lot to do with the "kids" part of this argument.

People are too lazy to teach their kids manners. They grow up and have their own kids and teach them less manners.

I just meant the crowds at comiskey but I agree it is just society in general. To many parents like to sit down and have a chat with the kids, which is fine if that works, but sometimes you need to raise your voice (preferebly not in public) or....dare I say it give them a smack.

kittle42
08-03-2005, 10:52 AM

I thought it was the schools' or the government's job to teach them that. What am I paying my taxes for!? :D:

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 10:53 AM

I heard someone say not all that long ago that one of the things they are finding that they have to teach teenagers is table manners. No wonder younger kids can't behave at a damn ball game!

Fake Chet Lemon
08-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Guys......you can teach a 2 & 3 year old manners. We definitely do. BUT THEY ARE 2 & 3! They won't sit still for an entire Jose Contreras start. They will have to pee every 6 minutes. When you get them food, they will spill it causing an emergency napkin run. Off the high horse everyone on how perfectly behaved your kids are at all times and how you were the perfect little angel as a kid. Please, tell those stories walking 'cause nobody is buying them. And no, I'm not keeping them locked in my basement until they are 9 years old so that your perfect world is not disturbed. I'm taking them to the ballgame.

tschneid83
08-03-2005, 11:04 AM
I will be graduating in one year with a degree in technology education. Maybe it is not to late to reconsider.

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Guys......you can teach a 2 & 3 year old manners. We definitely do. BUT THEY ARE 2 & 3! They won't sit still for an entire Jose Contreras start. They will have to pee every 6 minutes. When you get them food, they will spill it causing an emergency napkin run. Off the high horse everyone on how perfectly behaved your kids are at all times and how you were the perfect little angel as a kid. Please, tell those stories walking 'cause nobody is buying them. And no, I'm not keeping them locked in my basement until they are 9 years old so that your perfect world is not disturbed. I'm taking them to the ballgame.

Maybe my family had strong bladders. We only needed restroom breaks every hour or two. It does help to ask when an inning is over if they might have to go. That's what we did.

As for napkins, I still take way more than I need so I don't have to go running back. And my kid is 25 now. It's called PLANNING. You might want to try doing that sometime.

BTW, it sounds to me like someone other than me is the one who is more concerned about himself than others.

Orta 4-6-3
08-03-2005, 11:26 AM
The way I look at it, once the game starts, you are allotted two round trips from you seat: one for food/drink, and one bathroom break. And when you leave, make sure it is between innings. I know it is impossible to time your return, but just be aware of the game situation and act accordingly. More than two trips, and I feel oblidged to make some polite (at first) commentary on ballpark etiquette.

As for kids, an honest effort to keep them in line and at least an acknowledgement or, beter yet, an apology for the inconvenience of repeated comings and goings goes a long way.

Jerko
08-03-2005, 11:26 AM

Then do what my buddy does when he brings his kids: buy an aisle seat in the last row (if possible). You get the whole area between the chain and the seats to let them linger around in. Grab an extra handful of napkins if they have something they can spill. It's not too difficult. Obviously, they don't know any better, but you should, and you should take REASONABLE steps to make sure they don't ruin everyone else's day. And if you don't, then don't be upset if somebody calls you on it. Again, though, I don't think the original complaint in this thread was aimed at toddlers.

Heffalump
08-03-2005, 11:34 AM

2) Turn off your cell phone and give us all a break. If you have a job in which you are on call, and that's why you need a cell phone, don't go to the game. If you're taking personal calls, you are just being annoying.

This reply should be the "end all" of this thread.

Nothing more needs to be said.

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Then do what my buddy does when he brings his kids: buy an aisle seat in the last row (if possible). You get the whole area between the chain and the seats to let them linger around in. Grab an extra handful of napkins if they have something they can spill. It's not too difficult. Obviously, they don't know any better, but you should, and you should take REASONABLE steps to make sure they don't ruin everyone else's day. And if you don't, then don't be upset if somebody calls you on it. Again, though, I don't think the original complaint in this thread was aimed at toddlers.

And as I pointed out, I was at a Kane County game last weekend where the kids' GRANDPARENTS took them too the game. The appeared to be about 4 or 5 and 6 or 7. They sat in their seats (in the row in front of their grandparents no less), third row behind home plate, dead center in the row. They ate and used the john before the game and got up 2-3 times during the game. They minimized the number of people they had to walk past as they left, and did it at times when they didn't block anyone's view.

It can be done.

Last night there was a family with two kids, one about five and the other about nine or ten. They did their coming and going between innings also. it was the adults in front of them and those in our row that were blocking our view and making us stand to let them pass by as the ball was being pitched. The kids weren't the problem there either.

Heffalump
08-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Big difference. If this proverbial struggling mother is clearly disciplining/teaching her kids right, and the kids are polite and well-mannered.... of course... that's fine, and indeed I would lend a hand where need be.

Every single kid that cries in public is not the point.

But more often than not it is dead-on clear that its the parents lack of teaching and discipline.

Heck, most of the time this happens... the parents don't even tell their kids that its wrong!

On a side note, the last game my wife and I went a game to there was a mom and her two kids sitting in the row in front of us. The two kids (probably around 9-10 years old) were screaming and whining for her to buy them something from every vendor that passed by. She completely ignored them while taking on the phone, so they resorted to beating each other up. An older lady that was sitting nearby (a complete stranger) calmed down the kids by asking them questions about their little league baseball teams.....Later, the mom was so lazy that she had one of the kids take her money to a beer vendor that was passing by and bring her back a beer (is this even legal?).

Anyhow, I am SO glad that my parents were not like this and gave me some attention and dicipline.

i am very glad that the Sox are drawing well, but all of these fair weather fans that DO NOT know or obey basic ettiqutte really make me miss the days of 15,000 fans a game.

Oh well, in order to have the BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL, I will deal with it.

woodenleg
08-03-2005, 12:33 PM
i am very glad that the Sox are drawing well, but all of these fair weather fans that DO NOT know or obey basic ettiqutte really make me miss the days of 15,000 fans a game.

Oh well, in order to have the BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL, I will deal with it.

Yes, it is inconsiderate.

Yes, it is annoying.

No, this probably didn't happen as much when you
were a little kid sitting in the UD at old Comiskey.

But yeah, these days, if you're going to sit in the UD, you're
going to have to put up with it. I hate to sound callous
(and probably snobbish) here, but what did you think the
UD was for?

And believe me, you want the ignorant fairweather people
up there.

Heffalump
08-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Yes, it is inconsiderate.

Yes, it is annoying.

No, this probably didn't happen as much when you
were a little kid sitting in the UD at old Comiskey.

But yeah, these days, if you're going to sit in the UD, you're
going to have to put up with it. I hate to sound callous
(and probably snobbish) here, but what did you think the
UD was for?

And believe me, you want the ignorant fairweather people
up there.

I agree, but this happens everywhere in the park, not just the UD. My experience was in the first 5 rows of left field.

woodenleg
08-03-2005, 12:48 PM
I agree, but this happens everywhere in the park, not just the UD. My experience was in the first 5 rows of left field.

That doesn't surprise me. I was "blocked" once downstairs, too. In that case, give 'em the "evil eye".

Dick Allen
08-03-2005, 12:53 PM
My question is this, and forgive me since I don't have kids of my own, but: Why would people bring kids who are two-three years old to a baseball game, unless they are too cheap to pay a babysitter? As I pointed out in a previous post, I don't know why parents would bring their kids until they were old enough to at least understand what was going on out on the field. I attended my first game when I was 7, and I watched every minute of the game. Besides, if I misbehaved, I would have felt my father's wrath and then some. :redneck

Paxson93
08-03-2005, 01:06 PM

If you were in 161 I bet I know the family you are talking about. Or at least one similarly annoying. We went down to our seats before the start of the bottom of the 1st to find this family had "upgraded" to our seats. Told her politely several times she was in our seats before she snapped at us and stood for over 5 minutes (2 batters) looking for and trying to direct her children to new seats to steal. Not only was she blocking other fans' view, but she forced us to do the same while we standed in the aisle waiting for her to situate herself, all the while cursing us "under her breath." Later she actually had the nerve to ask us if we could scoot down on the bleachers to make more room for her and her monster children. Ummm.... no.

I gotta say as far as the rudeness and the constant up and down, up and down, I find the bleachers to be much more annoying than the UD. Particularly on half price nights, but that's a whole other story....

Baby Fisk
08-03-2005, 01:08 PM
If you were in 161 I bet I know the family you are talking about. Or at least one similarly annoying. We went down to our seats before the start of the bottom of the 1st to find this family had "upgraded" to our seats. Told her politely several times she was in our seats before she snapped at us and stood for over 5 minutes (2 batters) looking for and trying to direct her children to new seats to steal. Not only was she blocking other fans' view, but she forced us to do the same while we standed in the aisle waiting for her to situate herself, all the while cursing us "under her breath." Later she actually had the nerve to ask us if we could scoot down on the bleachers to make more room for her and her monster children. Ummm.... no.

Wow, that is as classless as it gets (her, not you!).

maurice
08-03-2005, 01:09 PM
There is no question that this country contains lots of "selfish self-centered people who think the world was created for them." This phrase aptly describes parents who think that nobody else has ever raised children, can't bother to teach them manners, and think that any need that floats into their kid's head and out of their mouth must be fulfilled immediately and irrespective of the cost to others.

Millions of very young children have been taught manners. Plenty of kids are well-behaved at ballgames. You can ride a CTA bus and see a mother with 4 young children sitting quietly in their seats until the end of the 40-minute ride. On any Sunday, hot and humid Chicago churches contain children sitting quietly for longer than 40 minutes. Most of these kids will grow up to be well-mannered and, thus, well-liked. Can't say the same for the rest. They're far more likely to become like those despised, rude, drunk, F-bomb-dropping fratboys.

The problem isn't the nature of children. The problem is incompetent and rude parents.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-03-2005, 01:26 PM
My question is this, and forgive me since I don't have kids of my own, but: Why would people bring kids who are two-three years old to a baseball game, unless they are too cheap to pay a babysitter? As I pointed out in a previous post, I don't know why parents would bring their kids until they were old enough to at least understand what was going on out on the field. I attended my first game when I was 7, and I watched every minute of the game. Besides, if I misbehaved, I would have felt my father's wrath and then some. :redneck

* My 2 & 3 year old ask about Southpaw on a daily basis and love to see him. My three year old likes the Fun-for-Mentals in Left Field.

* They love to tailgate, they think it's wild to cook outside like that. We all have fun doing it as a family.

* They like the fireworks. They love to chant "Paulie-Paulie", even when the opponent is batting.

* I enjoy being with my kids and it's something we all enjoy doing together.

* They love hot dogs, cotton candy and pop because they don't eat that crap at home. Ever.

* They are already falling in love with going to the park, that's neat. As they get older they will fall in love with the best part, the game itself.

* It's fun for all of us. And we do our best to not bother those around us, we really do. But sometimes we have to get up, so kill us. We try to get aisle seats and enough napkins and all those tricks.

So that's why we go anyway. If you don't have kids, or your parents didn't do much with you as a kid it may be hard for you to understand. It has nothing to do with being cheap. That's goofy, ever take four people to a game? CHEAP? Please!

Dick Allen
08-03-2005, 01:33 PM
* My 2 & 3 year old ask about Southpaw on a daily basis and love to see him. My three year old likes the Fun-for-Mentals in Left Field.

* They love to tailgate, they think it's wild to cook outside like that. We all have fun doing it as a family.

* They like the fireworks. They love to chant "Paulie-Paulie", even when the opponent is batting.

* They love hot dogs, cotton candy and pop because they don't eat that crap at home. Ever.

* They are already falling in love with going to the park, that's neat. As they get older they will fall in love with the best part, the game itself.

* It's fun for all of us. And we do our best to not bother those around us, we really do. But sometimes we have to get up, so kill us.

So that's why we go anyway. If you don't have kids, or your parents didn't do much with you as a kid it may be hard for you to understand.It wasn't my intention to beat up on people with kids such as you. I would just do things differently. As for my parents, they did plenty with me. It just didn't involve them taking me to a game until I at least knew what was going on.

tschneid83
08-03-2005, 01:36 PM
It's fun for all of us. And we do our best to not bother those around us, we really do. But sometimes we have to get up, so kill us. We try to get aisle seats and enough napkins and all those tricks.

Which is all I think everyone on here was asking whether you have kids, don't have kids, hate kids, etc. I just ask that people be courteous to others and it appears you are or at least try to be and so thank you.

Heffalump
08-03-2005, 01:38 PM
*My three year old likes the Fun-for-Mentals in Left Field.

I am just being a jerk, but what is "Fun-for-Mentals"?

Its nice to see the Sox cater to all their fans, especially those with disabilities.

JB98
08-03-2005, 01:38 PM

No kidding. I rarely acted up in public when I was a kid because I knew the punishment would be harsh. I remember one time when I was about six or seven years old, I misbehaved while our family was at restaurant. My father dragged my ass outside, threw me in the car and made me sit by myself for two hours while the rest of the family enjoyed dinner. Twenty years ago, that was called discipline. Today, it's called child abuse. No matter what you call it, I learned my lesson and I never acted like that again.

I almost always sit in the UD because it's cheaper, and that allows me to go to more games over the course of the season. I see a lot of families up there, and frankly, the children are the least of my worries. I see a lot more kids misbehaving in places like the grocery store and and the shopping mall than I do at the ballpark. Every once in awhile, there are annoying kids at the Sox games, but I don't see it *every* time. The drunken 20-somethings with the cell phones are the most annoying group and biggest offenders when it comes to standing up while the game is in progress. More often than not, I leave my cell in the car. Whatever personal calls come in can be returned once the game is over.

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 01:44 PM

* It's fun for all of us. And we do our best to not bother those around us, we really do. But sometimes we have to get up, so kill us. We try to get aisle seats and enough napkins and all those tricks.

So that's why we go anyway. If you don't have kids, or your parents didn't do much with you as a kid it may be hard for you to understand.

Of course there are those of us who had parents do things with us and who did things with our kids who didn't get up 6-7 times during at bats making those around us stand up for them, take or make calls on our cell phones during games, and even as kids went to games where there were 40,000 people in the stands.

Your kids may love all of the above, and if you can keep them in control, more power to you. Go for it!

But don't call those of us who go to watch the game selfish if we get upset when you bug us 4-5 times during the game when you get up to take them to the john or to get food or go to fundamentals or anything else. We already have been through raising our kids.

You could request aisle seats, as someone else suggested several pages ago. You could shut off your cell phone and let people use voice mail as was also suggested.

However, if a person goes to an event where there is a large crowd and then insists that the crowd adapt to them, it isn't the people who object to that who are being selfish.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-03-2005, 01:44 PM
It wasn't my intention to beat up on people with kids such as you. I would just do things differently. As for my parents, they did plenty with me. It just didn't involve them taking me to a game until I at least knew what was going on.

That's cool. You are all making good points and I'm certainly not taking any of this personally. I just hate for example what is going on at Urinal Field on the North Side. There are no damn kids there. It's all yuppies on cell phones. To me, baseball should involve the kids. With the way prices are going, many people here may get their wish and you won't see many families at the ballpark in the future. I think that's sad and bad for baseball. Bears, Hawks, and Bulls games are nearly family free already. But again, this thread isn't directed solely at kids either. Sorry everyone if I kind of hi-jacked it.

robin23
08-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Going back to the original poster's point... things are getting out of control. I think we got a little side-tracked on the subject of childredn. I was at last night's game and it was the worst game I have ever been to in regards to "standers." I was in section 109, and I think combined I missed about an inning's worth of play throughout the game.

And I did yell. Several times, at different people. "Hey, Cub Fan! SIT DOWN!!" "I wish I could have saw that crucial play, SIR!! Please sit down!!" "Down in FRONT!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!"

Didn't really help. I know for a fact that I saw the same woman get up from her seat six different times. I counted.

However, most were thirty-something men. I don't know if they didn't take my requests seriously because I'm a woman or what, or maybe they were just fall-down wasted by the third inning when it started to get out of control.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, here, but for the love of all things holy, that's why they have vendors with beer and hot dogs COME TO YOU. Please, oh please, just sit down and watch the game.

R

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 01:52 PM
That's cool. You are all making good points and I'm certainly not taking any of this personally. I just hate for example what is going on at Urinal Field on the North Side. There are no damn kids there. It's all yuppies on cell phones. To me, baseball should involve the kids. With the way prices are going, many people here may get their wish and you won't see many families at the ballpark in the future. I think that's sad and bad for baseball. Bears, Hawks, and Bulls games are nearly family free already. But again, this thread isn't directed solely at kids either. Sorry everyone if I kind of hi-jacked it.

Don't worry about it. I think it's a discussion worth having because kids are a part of it. When I go to a ball game I'm thrilled to see kids. I wouldn't go to 25 minor league games a year if I weren't. And a vast majority of them are extremely well behaved. However, and this is especially true at Kane County, there are a lot of very stupid parents who allow their kids to stand at the front of the aisle behind home plate and lean against the backstop. The ushers then have to go down and shoo them away so they don't get hurt.

Other parents let their kids run all over the ball park during games, especially weekends in April and May where there aren't a lot of people there. There's nothing like running, screaming kids to enhance one's enjoyment of the game.

But most kids behave.

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Going back to the original poster's point... things are getting out of control. I think we got a little side-tracked on the subject of childredn. I was at last night's game and it was the worst game I have ever been to in regards to "standers." I was in section 109, and I think combined I missed about an inning's worth of play throughout the game.

And I did yell. Several times, at different people. "Hey, Cub Fan! SIT DOWN!!" "I wish I could have saw that crucial play, SIR!! Please sit down!!" "Down in FRONT!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!"

Didn't really help. I know for a fact that I saw the same woman get up from her seat six different times. I counted.

However, most were thirty-something men. I don't know if they didn't take my requests seriously because I'm a woman or what, or maybe they were just fall-down wasted by the third inning when it started to get out of control.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, here, but for the love of all things holy, that's why they have vendors with beer and hot dogs COME TO YOU. Please, oh please, just sit down and watch the game.

R

If I had been in your section, you probably would have heard me follow your first couple of vain requiests by shouting, "The lady said siddown, moron!"

Kilroy
08-03-2005, 01:56 PM

This whole topic pisses me off because so many people whined when there was 18-20k in the park. Why don't more people go? Now there's 32-35k every night and people are inconvenienced. People aren't going to wait between batters or pitches to move, and that's not even reasonable to expect it. When people get up repeatedly, tell an usher. And if you get no help there, go to guest services. I KNOW they will do something about it.

Other than that, you want full houses, people and vendors standing in your way goes with that. Deal with it.

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 02:02 PM
This whole topic pisses me off because so many people whined when there was 18-20k in the park. Why don't more people go? Now there's 32-35k every night and people are inconvenienced. People aren't going to wait between batters or pitches to move, and that's not even reasonable to expect it. When people get up repeatedly, tell an usher. And if you get no help there, go to guest services. I KNOW they will do something about it.

Other than that, you want full houses, people and vendors standing in your way goes with that. Deal with it.

Oh...and do your best to educate them on ballpark etiquette.

robin23
08-03-2005, 02:03 PM

I think everyone realizes that it will happen, but to the degree is a little ridiculous.

R

tschneid83
08-03-2005, 02:05 PM

If you can't handle crowds, STAY HOME. It goes with the territory. The games are all on TV, enjoy them in your uncrowded living room.

I think baseball should be a family thing but going to the ballpark does not have to, but it can be. I used to and still go to the games with my family which is fine but you do not have to take them everytime or in my case go with them. I also think that it is safe to say that plenty of people have taken children to the games over the years b/c it appears that a good number of the people in attendance are my age (22) and so the love for the SOX must be getting passed on. I know my love for the sox came by watching them on TV with my dad. I guess that is why I love hawk so much while others don't. If your kids are interested then they will sit and watch the game with you and if they get bored send them to the yard to get rid of some of that energy. I just babbling but that is my 2 cents.

I am glad everyone seemed to calm down...... :peace:

robin23
08-03-2005, 02:05 PM
If I had been in your section, you probably would have heard me follow your first couple of vain requiests by shouting, "The lady said siddown, moron!"

If your objections would have gotten the point across, I'd have bought you a beer!! :gulp:

R

spiffie
08-03-2005, 02:09 PM
As someone who goes to a goodly number of games, I know that I tend to be much more tolerant of kids (and their parents) making interruptions than some of the other tales of obnoxiousness detailed in this thread. Nothing is more annoying than the people who just keep jumping from seat to seat.

That said, there are things that can be done:

- I know that kids like to yell. I yell a lot at a ball game. But really, a constant 9 inning long shriek directly in my ear can be a bit painful after a while. Noise is one thing, but if you have a screamer of a kid...try to encourage them to use their internal megaphone a bit more judiciously.

- At least make me believe you're sorry for inconveniencing me. I don't take going to the ball park as life or death. One of the more fun days I had there this year I spent a good chunk of the game serving as entertainment for the 4 yr old girl in front of me. And I didn't mind that, but I appreciated that her parents turned around and said "if she's bothering you just say so." I was a kid at baseball games, I know how it is. But don't act as though you own the park and have the right to disrupt the experience of everyone around you simply because you decided to pop out a kid or two. And I promise to not get pissed off if your kid spills a drink on me or has to hit the bathroom 5 times.

- I have a cell phone. Once in a while, I will make or take a brief call on it, usually pertaining to after-game plans. I will speak quietly, and quickly. Mostly, I will let calls go to voice mail. If you are in fact a renowned brain surgeon, a high-ranking military official, Chicago's Chief of Police, or Kenny Williams, I will excuse you from my asking the same courtesy of you on a cell phone. If not, 2 minutes, one time. Otherwise go return the call on the concourse between innings.

-I don't drink at games. I have trouble justifying a $4 hot dog. I sure ain't going to pay the cost of beer. I understand others disagree. However, is it asking too much that you maybe keep the consumption down so you don't make 8 trips to the concessions per game, causing you to be a sloppy drunk by the end of the game?

Just my $0.02 on the thing. But really, it's mostly just about relaxing. It's a baseball game. Yes, we all paid our hard-earned money and we have rights and blah blah blah. And if someone is seriously harming your enjoyment of the game, call an usher, get security, etc. But if 3 minutes of interruption can get you that worked up....

:prozac

Jerko
08-03-2005, 02:35 PM
I saw one guy at a game complain that somebody in the row in front of him got up to get a beer, as his kid hit me in the eye with one of those thunderstick things. Then it happened again. As the thing whistled towards my face for the third time (all in a span of 2 outs) I grabbed it and said "I don't mind the noise but please don't hit me in the face again or you won't have 2 of these to bang together anymore", and he said sorry and put it under his chair and watched the rest of the game. I was PRAYING his old man say something to me. That's the problem. People are so fast to complain about everybody else and they don't see the things that they do wrong. A little consideration is all I ask.

Bucky F. Dent
08-03-2005, 02:39 PM
My first love is ice hockey. I think I was nine years old when I went to my first game at the old Stadium with my dad. NINE! And I got yelled at by some guy a few rows back when i stood up during live play. Never done it since.

Bucky F. Dent
08-03-2005, 02:45 PM
The other thing is this. For every kid that makes a mess, or screams at every pitch, or kicks your seat, or dinks you in the head with a thunderstick, there's a guy a couple of seats over tanked out of his mind calling everybody on the field a **********. So, we could all stand to be more courteous.

Jerko
08-03-2005, 02:54 PM
So, we could all stand to be more courteous.

True.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-03-2005, 03:37 PM
- At least make me believe you're sorry for inconveniencing me.

You know, you really nailed it with that. Extremely well put.

If I get up for the second time in five minutes the people behind me get an apology and they generally smile and say "that's OK". At least acknowledge those around you and life is so much easier for all.

AZChiSoxFan
08-03-2005, 03:46 PM

Thanks Hal, very well said!!!

FarWestChicago
08-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Okay, i changed my sig to now show all the games I went to. I saw others doing it and thought it was cool to keep track.Well done! :thumbsup:

Hopefully, others will follow your example. :D:

AZChiSoxFan
08-03-2005, 04:00 PM

TOTALLY AGREE. I have three kids ages 5, 3, and 1 and I only take the 5 year old to games and even those are rare occasions. When I do take the 5 year old, I simply refuse to allow her to disturb those around us. It's that simple. Does she have to get up several times during the game? Yes, but we always buy aisle seats and we only leave the seats and come back between innings. It's called common courtesy.

fisk4ever
08-03-2005, 05:47 PM
I went to the Sox/Snakes series in Arizona a couple of years ago and the ushers held up cards blocking the top of the aisle that said "Please Wait Between Batters" or something like that. That was cool and I wish they did that at Sox Park, but I think they'd have to replace half the slack-jawwed little kids that are ushers now.

Seriously, could the mighty WSI encourage management to work on this. Maybe a reminder before the game and the ushers keeping people at the top until between batters would eliminate part of it. I'm glad to see conversation about the rudeness, because it has annoyed me for years.

soxwon
08-03-2005, 06:17 PM

the best time to go to the bathroom is when the sox are up.
its best to go during the inning not in beetween.

wassagstdu
08-03-2005, 07:15 PM
I was sitting in section 312 on the Club Level way out on the right field side recently (Flew in from DE and spent a lot of money for those seats!). Looking from my seat to home plate, the area where people emerge from the concession area was exactly in line with the plate, and there was ALWAYS someone standing there either looking for their seat or checking the action as they returned to their seat, or delivering food to someone in the section or . . . After a couple of innings we went and sat in the outfield and enjoyed the game. I couldn't blame the problem on rude people, it was a design problem. Of course, it did seem like people were more interested in food than in baseball. I thought the problem was aggravated by the facts that (a) the food is too good at Comiskey, and (b) the rest rooms are too clean.

Rooney4Prez56
08-03-2005, 07:25 PM
There should be no cell phones at the Cell. I know there's a U.S Cellular store there, but they should ban cell phones. It kills the spirit of the ballpark. That's like talking on a cell phone at a golf course....it's just somethin u dont do. If u have to talk on your cell phone, go to the concourse.

SoxEd
08-03-2005, 07:32 PM
I must confess to being surprised that there are no ushers to prevent people re-taking their seats during actual play at USCF.

Every Cricket game I've been to has had guys stopping you taking your seats during play - you can only re-take seats between Overs (fyi, each Cricket 'Over' of 6 balls bowled is roughly equivalent time-wise to one Baseball At-Bat).

Cricket lasts ALL DAY, not just a couple of hours, and at Test Matches you get a lot of guys who are just there for the atmosphere, and to drink in the sun all day - you can imagine how that gets - but I've never had this problem.

I thought customer service/'total package' was one of the things you guys did so much better than us.

Then again, maybe the amount of stewards at Cricket games has something to do with English crowds' history of outstanding behaviour at Soccer games...

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Wow...no one caught this? MY FIRST ONE!

:tomatoaward

Fake Chet Lemon
08-04-2005, 08:48 AM
There should be no cell phones at the Cell. .

That's realistic.

ChicagoHoosier
08-04-2005, 10:01 AM
This is the feedback I was looking for. I love all the kids at the game, and appreciate that the majority of you do your best to keep them courteous of others. I was looking mainly for ideas on how to treat people who are rude to me, and I've gotten many ideas.

I like the idea of creating more awareness of those around you. Maybe educating the ushers, having the PA announcer say something before and once during the game, etc. But the biggest action would be if we all continue to be polite to those being rude around us; it could go a long way in educating casual fans to ballgame ettiquette.

I think it all starts with the adults and the parents. The adults get much more in the way of fans than the kids.