PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Was there a game tonight? 8/2/05 Postgame Thread

BeviBall!
08-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Coming off a 4 game sweep on the road + average team at home + WCIU = Loss.

Get these no-names the next two days, fellas.

chisoxmike
08-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Bah! Whatever. 69-36... on Aug. 2, nothing wrong with that fellas!

Jon just didn't have it tonight.
Lets hope Jermaine is ok. JD going on the DL will be a minor set back.
:gulp: to Ozzie
:gulp: to Jon Adkins... welcome back, and way to show you got your teammates backs!

NSSoxFan
08-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Bah! Whatever. 69-36... on Aug. 2, nothing wrong with that fellas!

It's so hard to fathom that we only have 36 losses going into August 3rd. Crazy.

Cowhead418
08-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Glad to see Adkins do that and not get tossed. Jays kick Garland's ass once again. Unfortunately we let Josh Towers look like Cy Young.

Cowhead418
08-02-2005, 09:40 PM
This was a blah game and meant nothing so I don't expect many responses out of this thread.

DickAllen72
08-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Geoff Blum looked pretty good at 3B tonight.

DSpivack
08-02-2005, 09:43 PM
i think i have the same reaction as most people here do.

eh, whatever, we lost. coming a four-game sweep on the road, not a big deal.

we'll get 'em tomorrow.

chisoxmike
08-02-2005, 09:43 PM

Yeah he did. At the plate though, it looked like he was trying to kill the ball.

SomebodyToldMe
08-02-2005, 09:45 PM
I think the best thing about tonight, in my opinion anyway, was Adkins plunking that guy. Two of our guys getting hit back to back (even if they weren't intentional) can't be let go unnoticed. Especially after yesterday's game. Great way to prove to your teammates that you've got their back, Adkins.

And who cares about today? It was one boring Tuesday! Shake it off and get ready for tomorrow.

pczarapa
08-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Coming off a 4 game sweep on the road + average team at home + WCIU = Loss.

Get these no-names the next two days, fellas.

Speaking of WCIU, what are they? I'm down in Lexington,KY and it seems like every fifth game is not televised on MLB Extra Innings (on Directv) because it's being shown on WCIU. Is that a small local station? Do Hawk and DJ do the games?

Lip Man 1
I'm not sure make to make of this but here are the facts:

3-8 in their last 11 home games.

:?:

Lip

Kogs35
total blah, hope dye is alright

NSSoxFan

Lip

Lip, come on...

pczarapa
08-02-2005, 09:48 PM
This was a blah game and meant nothing so I don't expect many responses out of this thread.

Yeah, I listened to it on the web, and it was by far one of the most boring calls I've heard from Farmer and Rooney. They'll be ready tomorrow.

chisoxmike
08-02-2005, 09:48 PM

Lip

I was just about to point that out... uits not good. Especially now with the huge crowds coming to the cell.
It's great that they have a great road record... when was the last time we were this good on the road. In the past, road games were killers and we've always played well at home...I dont get it.

Lets hope they fix this soon. We could/probably will have home field in the playoffs and it would suck if we can't win at home.

pczarapa
08-02-2005, 09:49 PM
total blah, hope dye is alright

Did he get bitten by the Canadian Moosehead spider?

Heffalump
08-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Ozzie said there will be days like this........

shoota
08-02-2005, 09:50 PM
I though AJ stuck his elbow out to get hit by Towers.

I thought Spier hit Dye on accident, so I wasn't pleased to see Adkins bean Abrams. But I understand that the Sox have taken a lot of HBPs this year, and accidental or intentional, you hit one of ours, you may get hit in return.

I did like seeing Adkins--who was on the team last year--get a chance to reunite with his teammates in such a bonding fashion. It must have made him feel content to stand up for his teammates and allow him to feel like he belongs in their company.

Watching Adkins receive fist pounds and fives from his teammates in the dugout after pitching the 9th was nice to see.

anewman35
Speaking of WCIU, what are they? I'm down in Lexington,KY and it seems like every fifth game is not televised on MLB Extra Innings (on Directv) because it's being shown on WCIU. Is that a small local station? Do Hawk and DJ do the games?

Yes and yes. The telecasts are actually produced by WGN, so they basically look like WGN games (except WCIU isn't a very good station, so at least for me it doesn't come in as well).

Mr. White Sox
Meh, that was an off game, and Garland just wasn't hitting his spots. Umpie stretching the zone for Cy Towers didn't help either.

:supernana:
"Yay to Jon Adkins and Bobby Jenks for some solid pitching and some solid HBPing, and yay to Adkins for making Mr. White Sox eat crow, at least for the night. Yay to A.J. Pierzynski, who continues to swing a hot bat, and yay to PK for the same reason. YAY to Ozzie for getting tossed!"

pczarapa
08-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Yes and yes. The telecasts are actually produced by WGN, so they basically look like WGN games (except WCIU isn't a very good station, so at least for me it doesn't come in as well).

I just looked it up, when I was a kid growing up in Woodridge channel 26 was an all spanish station I believe. Oh well, not a big deal to listen to Farmer and Rooney on mlb.com.

shoota
08-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Did anyone hear Farmer's pregame interview with Buehrle? Good radio.

Farmer was asking about yesterday's ejection, and while Buehrle couldn't say he hit Surhoff intentionally, Farmer pretty much said it for him. Buehrle said the ball slipped out of his hand. He almost slipped with his mouth by saying something like, "It does feel good to stand up for my teammates." But Buehrle quickly followed that up with something like, "But the ball just slipped out of my hand."

Farmer kept saying what Buehrle couldn't say without being fined or suspended. He was praising Buehrle.

PicktoCLick72
08-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Is it me or is it a little ironic that if you add a "d" to spiers last name it becomes spiders. Geez Jd just can't catch a break from those things.

VivaOzzie
08-02-2005, 10:24 PM
is dye ok?!?!?!?! didnt see the game! :(:

Evman5
08-02-2005, 10:31 PM
after seeing 8 straight wins to open the season, I am on a 3 game losing steak. :o: But if its anything like the White Sox i'll bounce back with another 8 gamer becasue the Sox never lose 4 in a row!

SpammySosa
08-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Is it me or is it a little ironic that if you add a "d" to spiers last name it becomes spiders. Geez Jd just can't catch a break from those things.

The spirit of Harry Caray lives on and inhabits WSI.:wink:

mdep524
08-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Ehhh. For whatever reason, the Sox tend to drop the first game of a homestand after a successful road trip. Just like last month vs. Arizona.

Fans chanting "Ozz-zzie!!" as he was getting ejected was pretty cool. And Paulie's HR was a monster shot! Otherwise, pretty unremarkable game. Go get 'em tomorrow Duque!

JB98
08-02-2005, 10:41 PM

Lip

That's really hard to figure. Hopefully, we snap out of it. Our first two playoff games are going to be at home.

ChicagoHoosier
08-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Was there tonight. Agree with others, it was a BLAH game. Garland looked horrible. Did that leadoff guy, Adams, have FOUR home runs against JG this year? Wow! In two games? Must have his number, eh?

I like to look on the positives of the game. Much better defense, great plays from Blum, Dye, Pods, and Uribe. Always good to see Paulie knock one a mile out of the park. Only three runs is disappointing, but if it were for the long balls and five two-out runs, it's a close game. So, Garland reverts back to his old self and gives up the big inning. As long as it's not a habit, I'm okay with him having an off night.

Let's get the next two and right this home field ship!

skobabe8
08-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Was there tonight. Agree with others, it was a BLAH game. Garland looked horrible. Did that leadoff guy, Adams, have FOUR home runs against JG this year? Wow! In two games? Must have his number, eh?

I like to look on the positives of the game. Much better defense, great plays from Blum, Dye, Pods, and Uribe. Always good to see Paulie knock one a mile out of the park. Only three runs is disappointing, but if it were for the long balls and five two-out runs, it's a close game. So, Garland reverts back to his old self and gives up the big inning. As long as it's not a habit, I'm okay with him having an off night.

Let's get the next two and right this home field ship!

You better update that sig.

I was there too. Crowd wanted to cheer, just couldnt after the first inning. I heard some moron yelling "You suck, Judy!" *****

ChicagoHoosier
08-02-2005, 10:58 PM
You better update that sig.

I was there too. Crowd wanted to cheer, just couldnt after the first inning. I heard some moron yelling "You suck, Judy!" *****

Updated. I tend to post first, then go back and get sig up to date.

Good point on the crowd. Lead to another point - the crowd was just dead as doornails. When we got the two guys on in the 8th by HBP and Rowand came up, after the crowd was already on its feet making sure Dye was okay, that would have been a GREAT time for the crowd to stay on its feet, make a ton of noise, and help carry Rowand to deliver another clutch hit with RISP. But everyone just kinda sat down and proceeded to watch him hit an easy groundout. Maybe I'm the pot calling the kettle black, since I sat back down in the upper deck cuz I didn't want to block other people's view. Just saying it would have been cool if we all had rallied around that moment and Aaron had delivered.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2005, 11:01 PM

LipI don't know, Lip. Maybe you should go see a palm reader or a psychic. :D:

LuvSox
08-02-2005, 11:01 PM
All I can say is I Luuuuuuuv Ozzie. Great fire, great emotion. It's been years since we've seen this.

SoxSpeed22
08-02-2005, 11:02 PM
I'd hate to "dark cloud", but our performance at home has been quite displeasing lately, hopefully, it's nothing spiritual. Let's see Brian Anderson in the lineup this week.
EDIT: This playing at home thing will probably blow over soon. Jenks and Adkins were underratedly good.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2005, 11:03 PM
I'd hate to "dark cloud"Then don't.

Jerome
08-02-2005, 11:12 PM
I was in attendence for the the first time tonite, nice crowd IMO for a game against the Jays on Tuesday. We can thank Pepsi for that I guess, b/c the upper deck seemed pretty full. The Park looks absolutely great too.

It was just suprising to me to see Garland give up hit after hit like that.

The thing that really distressed me though was the fact that sox batters seemed determined to start every count 0-2 or 1-2. It's tough to hit when your behind in the count guys. I don't really like Crazy Carl in the 3rd spot, I miss Frank. I wish we had another bat in there.

TornLabrum
08-02-2005, 11:17 PM
I got back from the game a little while ago. Garland didn't have a breaking ball tonight and got rocked because of it. It's hard to go up against any major league team with just two pitches.

The thing that kind of ticks me off is that the Sox are 0-4 the last four games I've been to.

Jjav829
08-02-2005, 11:17 PM
It's obvious that Geoff Blum has cursed this team with his arrival....

or did Willie Harris put a curse on the team as he left town? :o: :D: :D:

On a serious note, Ozzie's reaction was great. I was glad to see him go off on Nelson. I do give Nelson credit for handling the HBP situation correctly.

Blum looks kind of like Pierzynski as a batter. Very nice first impression defensively for Blum. :thumbsup: I like him. It's nice to have another left-handed bat to put in the infield.

skobabe8
08-02-2005, 11:22 PM
Updated. I tend to post first, then go back and get sig up to date.

It hurt to update mine, but if I have to, so do you! :D:

I thought the 8th was gonna have some magic, too. At least get us within 2 runs for the 9th. But bleh......Alot of people left after Rowand grounded out.

Carl looked lost at the plate.

I might have gotten some TV time, as both Jays HR's to right field were near me. I was in the BPSB. White Indiana University shirt, 1983 Sox hat. I jumped like a jack*** for Adams' second hr even though it was 30 feet over my head. :redface:

ChiSoxGirl
08-02-2005, 11:24 PM
I got back from the game a little while ago. Garland didn't have a breaking ball tonight and got rocked because of it. It's hard to go up against any major league team with just two pitches.

The thing that kind of ticks me off is that the Sox are 0-4 the last four games I've been to.

Welcome to my world- well, almost. They've dropped 3 of the last 4 I've been to, bringing me to 6-6 on the year. :(: Here's hoping I break the streak on Friday night! :cheers:

bafiarocks03
08-02-2005, 11:24 PM
I met Ozney!!!!!!1:D:

ChicagoHoosier
08-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Welcome to my world- well, almost. They've dropped 3 of the last 4 I've been to, bringing me to 6-6 on the year. :(: Here's hoping I break the streak on Friday night! :cheers:
Look at my record... 8-7 if you subtract the Wrigley game, including also dropping 3 of last 4. I'm taking time off until the Minnesota game.

JB98
08-02-2005, 11:29 PM
It's obvious that Geoff Blum has cursed this team with his arrival....

or did Willie Harris put a curse on the team as he left town? :o: :D: :D:

On a serious note, Ozzie's reaction was great. I was glad to see him go off on Nelson. I do give Nelson credit for handling the HBP situation correctly.

Blum looks kind of like Pierzynski as a batter. Very nice first impression defensively for Blum. :thumbsup: I like him. It's nice to have another left-handed bat to put in the infield.

If anything happens to Crede with that back problem, we can count on Blum to fill in capably. He isn't as good as Joe defensively, but he's still damn solid. You don't have to hold your breath when the ball gets hit to him. With Ozuna, I find myself shuddering every time the ball gets hit his way.

doublem23
08-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Nice to see Nelson let Adkins hit one guy without getting tossed, but Jesus... if that guy gave Towers any bigger of a strike zone he may as well have called a pick-off attempt at first a strike.

LuvSox
08-02-2005, 11:32 PM

Then stop going!

ChiSoxGirl
08-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Look at my record... 8-7 if you subtract the Wrigley game, including also dropping 3 of last 4. I'm taking time off until the Minnesota game.

We can take consolation in the fact that they're 3-8 in their last 11 games at Comiskey Park, so it's not like we're the ones bringing the bad luck; they're just having a rough time at home, for whatever reason. Not good in front of 30,000+ crowds!

TornLabrum
08-02-2005, 11:50 PM
Then stop going!

I was with Jeff tonight, and that's exactly what he said as we were going around the concourse to leave.

dcb33
08-02-2005, 11:51 PM

They've lost the last four I've been to as well making their record with me in attendance 6-7.

Tonight's game was a crapout. My friend and I got stuck in front of a whole pack of Cubs fans and one of them accidentally spilt their beer all over us before the game even began. Granted, the girl who dropped her beer on us atoned for what she did by buying both of us a round, but it was still annoying as hell to listen to them cheer for the Blue Jays. Fortunately for us they left by the 6th inning as any true Cubs fan would.

The game itself was a sad affair. Apart from some good defense, Paulie's bomb, and solid outings by Adkins and Jenks, the only thing worth getting excited about was watching Ozzie chew out the umpire.

Go get No. 70 tomorrow, Sox!

C'monstretch
08-03-2005, 12:03 AM
i attended tonites game and if any words can describe my feelings they would be : depressed and let down. Have not attended a winning game since May 1st:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: Please help me be happy White Sox!

In retrospect, I am confident of Blum's performance and future in a White Sox uni!

DumpJerry
08-03-2005, 12:18 AM
They really, really need to give me free tickets to the remaining games. See my sig.

C'monstretch
08-03-2005, 12:30 AM
My attendance record is as follows: 4/18=W ; 5/1=W ; 5/16=L ; 6/13=L ; 7/21=L ; 8/2=L. As you can see, not a win since Garlands streak performance of May 1. My lack of attending more games is because Im a poor, broke fan. Jerry, Free Tix Or ****! Hey toss in some free brew vouchers you rich jerk:gulp: :gulp:

Mercy!
08-03-2005, 12:34 AM
...I thought Spier hit Dye on accident, so I wasn't pleased to see Adkins bean Abrams...
I reckon Iíll take on TornLabrumís burden for this one post:

In baseball, a "bean ball" is one aimed at an opposing batterís head. (In cricket, itís something slightly different)

So Adkinís payback pitch tonight might be considered just the opposite of a bean ball. We might call it an "ass" ball. Of course, based on the ballís trajectory, if Russ Adams hadnít jumped up like a startled armadillo with a car passing over it, right before the ball hit him, we could have called it a "kidney" ball.

Iím usually not one for pointing out someone's incorrect usage, but this particular mistake seems to have invaded even so-called professional sports writing of late.

TheOldRoman
08-03-2005, 01:33 AM
We can take consolation in the fact that they're 3-8 in their last 11 games at Comiskey Park, so it's not like we're the ones bringing the bad luck; they're just having a rough time at home, for whatever reason. Not good in front of 30,000+ crowds!
The Sox haven't played at Comiskey Park in three years, but it's good that you remember their record in the last 11 home games of 2002.:cool:

cbone
08-03-2005, 06:36 AM
While the game was not a lot of fun, I thought Jenks getting 6 outs was a huge plus for us. He is really starting to show what he can do.

Viva Medias B's
08-03-2005, 06:56 AM
My friend and I got stuck in front of a whole pack of Cubs fans and one of them accidentally spilt their beer all over us before the game even began. Granted, the girl who dropped her beer on us atoned for what she did by buying both of us a round, but it was still annoying as hell to listen to them cheer for the Blue Jays. Fortunately for us they left by the 6th inning as any true Cubs fan would.

We had drunken idiots (one Cub fan, two Sox fans, and one casual fan) behind us who were annoying. Twice, they spilled beer on us. They wouldn't stop flapping their jaws and were hardly following the play-by-play. They weren't as bad as the drunken drillrods we had around us for the Oakland game, but I am sick and tired of people who just go there to get annihilated. It makes me wish they would ban alcohol sales at the ballpark, but we all realize that will never happen because it would be extreme attendance suicide. I suppose this is the unfortunate byproduct of winning: Johnny-come-lately frontrunners who have to taint our previously nice ballpark experience.

mccoydp
08-03-2005, 07:16 AM
Jon! We haven't seen you all season! Some other guy has been pitching in your place since April, and has been pitching very well until you showed up. After last night, please go away (again), and let that other guy pitch from now on!

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 07:28 AM
i attended tonites game and if any words can describe my feelings they would be : depressed and let down. Have not attended a winning game since May 1st:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: Please help me be happy White Sox!

In retrospect, I am confident of Blum's performance and future in a White Sox uni!

Yeah, Ozzie's post-game press conference had a familiar ring to it: "Garland pitched well except for one inning."

For one night at least, we saw the return of Mr. BIG (Big Inning Garland).

Paulwny
08-03-2005, 09:35 AM
I reckon Iíll take on TornLabrumís burden for this one post:

In baseball, a "bean ball" is one aimed at an opposing batterís head. (In cricket, itís something slightly different)

So Adkinís payback pitch tonight might be considered just the opposite of a bean ball. We might call it an "ass" ball. Of course, based on the ballís trajectory, if Russ Adams hadnít jumped up like a startled armadillo with a car passing over it, right before the ball hit him, we could have called it a "kidney" ball.

Iím usually not one for pointing out someone's incorrect usage, but this particular mistake seems to have invaded even so-called professional sports writing of late.

I listened to the Jays' broadcast of the game. Both announcers agreed that it was a pay back pitch, was to be expected and was not thrown at the head to injure so, no harm done.

PatK
08-03-2005, 10:10 AM
I think the only way Towers wasn't getting strike calls last night was if the ball hit the dirt.

Oh well, let's get 'em today.

gobears1987
08-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Nice to see the lack of darkclouds.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-03-2005, 11:23 AM

He can throw some leather and looks to have an arm like Uribe. Looks like a great utility guy to have around.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-03-2005, 11:26 AM

Lip

They struggle whenever there is a big crowd. Lots of pop ups when there is a big crowd if you notice. But "they" say the first game back from a road trip is always just an extension of the trip, being that the team just traveled even though they are home. I look for them to play much better on Tuesday. Hopefully there are only 17,000 in attendance.

DenverSock
08-03-2005, 11:54 AM
There are a few bad streaks every year and what seem like harbingers, but remember none of these few streaks are statistically significant. In other words the recent bad streak at home could a few bad breaks or a fluke. Of course, I'm a Sox fan and can't not fear for the future.

ChiSoxGirl
08-04-2005, 12:52 AM
The Sox haven't played at Comiskey Park in three years, but it's good that you remember their record in the last 11 home games of 2002.:cool:

FYI, I'm well aware of the name change the ballpark has undergone, but I'm one of those who stills calls it Comiskey Park, and probably always will. :cool: And, make that 3-9 in their last 12 home games! :angry: