PDA

View Full Version : Mazzilli: White Sox hit Surhoff intentionally

iamkoza
08-02-2005, 08:09 AM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.osnotes02aug02,1,284281.story?coll=bal-sports-baseball&ctrack=1&cset=true

I thought the funniest part is Mazilli saying cabrera hitting AJ was not intentional... dispite the fact his catcher had set up way out side and the fastball ended up high and inside.... morons

TornLabrum
08-02-2005, 08:10 AM
Mazzilli: White Sox hit Surhoff intentionally

No ****, Sherlock!

TornLabrum
08-02-2005, 08:14 AM
On Sunday night, Guillen accused Todd Williams of hitting Tadahito Iguchi on purpose. Mazzilli said that he didn't have a problem with Guillen sticking up for his players, but disputed his assertion, saying, "I don't think there's any basis for that at all." He also felt that Cabrera hitting Pierzynski was unintentional.

"None at all," the Orioles manager said when asked if there was some intent behind the pitch. "No reason to, really. You have a 3-0 count and you are going to put the go-ahead run at second base? That's not smart pitching if you are going to do that."

But it's intentional if you put the tying run on second and the lead run on first? Mazzilli needs to get his stories straight.

Milw
08-02-2005, 08:25 AM
But it's intentional if you put the tying run on second and the lead run on first? Mazzilli needs to get his stories straight.
No kidding. Besides, a 3-0 count is the best time to bean a guy ... you've all but lost him to a walk anyway.

mccoydp
08-02-2005, 08:25 AM
He should be more concerned about his sputtering team of sluggers, awful pitchers, and Palmeiro's juicing right now.

duke of dorwood
08-02-2005, 08:44 AM
And they say Bevington was dumb.................

LuvSox
08-02-2005, 08:46 AM
He should be more concerned about his sputtering team of sluggers, awful pitchers, and Palmeiro's juicing right now.

Quick, somebody give the Orioles the heimlich manuever!

mccoydp
08-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Quick, somebody give the Orioles the heimlich manuever!

Or an enema...

Fredsox
08-02-2005, 08:53 AM
I think someone is attempting to:
1. deflect attention away from the fact that his team just got swept at home
2. deflect attention away from the 'roid thing
3. provide the standard line of BS that any manager puts forth ("my guys would never hit anyone intentionally, not like those SOB White Sox")

Truthfully, our retaliation was really blatant though. Not that I mind, but if there are any consequences we need to take our medicine. MB bumping knuckles in the dugout is not only flipping the bird to the O's, he's flipping off the rules. I would not be surprised if he and Ozzie got some loving attention from the commissioner's office (fine, time off, etc).

Ol' No. 2
08-02-2005, 08:55 AM
I think someone is attempting to:
1. deflect attention away from the fact that his team just got swept at home
2. deflect attention away from the 'roid thing
3. provide the standard line of BS that any manager puts forth ("my guys would never hit anyone intentionally, not like those SOB White Sox")

Truthfully, our retaliation was really blatant though. Not that I mind, but if there are any consequences we need to take our medicine. MB bumping knuckles in the dugout is not only flipping the bird to the O's, he's flipping off the rules. I would not be surprised if he and Ozzie got some loving attention from the commissioner's office (fine, time off, etc).Nah. He wasn't headhunting. It was just a standard, garden-variety plunking. He might get a small fine, but you never see suspensions for this kind of stuff.

TornLabrum
08-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Nah. He wasn't headhunting. It was just a standard, garden-variety plunking. He might get a small fine, but you never see suspensions for this kind of stuff.

I agree. Had he intentionally thrown at Surhoff's head, that would be another matter. But he didn't. It says a lot that the umpire seemed more irked by the retaliation than Surhoff did. As Hawk said, "He knew what was going on."

Ol' No. 2
08-02-2005, 09:01 AM
I agree. Had he intentionally thrown at Surhoff's head, that would be another matter. But he didn't. It says a lot that the umpire seemed more irked by the retaliation than Surhoff did. As Hawk said, "He knew what was going on."A few years ago they would allow the retaliation and then give warnings. But MLB has directed umpires to crack down on retaliatory hits. Hawk was just on one of his usual rants. The umpire knew exactly what was going on. He was just following the MLB directive.

Irishsox1
08-02-2005, 09:52 AM
This whole thing started when the O's had the umpires measure the height of the pitching mound at the Cell. That started everthing and hopefully its past so that everyone can focus on Palmiero and his steroid issue.

iamkoza
08-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Just to insult the o's some more.... their awesome offense.... has scored less runs than ours has. I didn't realize that until i saw it today... damn EaStPN is brainwashing me

Fredsox
08-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Nah. He wasn't headhunting. It was just a standard, garden-variety plunking. He might get a small fine, but you never see suspensions for this kind of stuff.

Understood, just saying that we haven't done much to hide our intent. I'm not saying we should either, I think we did the right thing. If something DOES come down from MLB we'll take our punishment and spit in their eye.

Remember what Robert Blake's character used to say: "don't do the crime if you can't do the time" (the irony is amazing on that).

maurice
08-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Remember, this is the same idiot who held up an earlier game in the series and had to be ejected for refusing to leave the field. Does he still think Podsednik was out at 3B?

fquaye149
08-02-2005, 11:57 AM
A few years ago they would allow the retaliation and then give warnings. But MLB has directed umpires to crack down on retaliatory hits. Hawk was just on one of his usual rants. The umpire knew exactly what was going on. He was just following the MLB directive.

Except even in that guise, it's still bull****.

I understand if major league wants to give them the directive to control bad blood between the Orioles and White Sox in this game, espesh after the Ozzie rant and the Tad plunk.

However, AJ was hit first. If the prior situation were the case, then at the very least a warning should be issued. If, like you say, mlb was pressuring the crew to keep the game "safe" then he needed to be ejected after hitting AJ. I just don't understand how under your logic (not your logic, I know, but mlb's) this ejection the way it went down was ok.

Ol' No. 2
08-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Except even in that guise, it's still bull****.

I understand if major league wants to give them the directive to control bad blood between the Orioles and White Sox in this game, espesh after the Ozzie rant and the Tad plunk.

However, AJ was hit first. If the prior situation were the case, then at the very least a warning should be issued. If, like you say, mlb was pressuring the crew to keep the game "safe" then he needed to be ejected after hitting AJ. I just don't understand how under your logic (not your logic, I know, but mlb's) this ejection the way it went down was ok.Their logic (not mine) seems to be that retaliatory drilling should be addressed more severely and more immediately. AJ getting hit was not a retaliation. Mark's was.

fquaye149
08-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Their logic (not mine) seems to be that retaliatory drilling should be addressed more severely and more immediately. AJ getting hit was not a retaliation. Mark's was.

I can understand that. But when it's clearly a part of bad blood (which everyone recognized, if not before this series, than immediately after Ozzie's comments) why douldn't Aj getting hit be seen as retaliatory, especially since it was clearly intentional.

Regardless, it's bull****.

Nellie_Fox
08-03-2005, 01:05 AM
They did it the right way tonight. Pierzynski and Dye get drilled back to back. Next inning, Sox retaliate, and then warnings are issued. Messages are sent and received, just as it should be.

TornLabrum
08-03-2005, 07:54 AM
They did it the right way tonight. Pierzynski and Dye get drilled back to back. Next inning, Sox retaliate, and then warnings are issued. Messages are sent and received, just as it should be.

Before the 9th inning started we were wondering who was going to get plunked. Then I noticed the third batter, Adams, had hit two homers. I said, "Adams goes down." Sure enough, he did.

We also noticed that Vizcaino was up right away, which threw us for a minute. We figured it might have been because they were going to plunk Johnson, the first batter up. That lasted until I checked what Adams had done.

The only thing I might have done differently, considering where Dye got hit was something I said to Jeff: "When Adams gets hit, they should have to be pulling a ball out of the earhole in his helmet."

Back when I was growing up, I remember guys like Maglie, Wynn, etc. doing just that...and the batter when those guys came up didn't have helmets...and MLB is worried about hitting batters getting out of control?

Paulwny
08-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Back when I was growing up, I remember guys like Maglie, Wynn, etc. doing just that...and the batter when those guys came up didn't have helmets...and MLB is worried about hitting batters getting out of control?

I remember reading an article, Early Wynn and bean balls.
He was asked if he'd ever throw at his grandmother, his reply, "Only if she was crowding the plate."
And of course, I know you're well aware, Sal Maglie wasn't called The Barber for shaving the faces of batters with a razor.

Ol' No. 2
08-03-2005, 10:19 AM
I remember reading an article, Early Wynn and bean balls.
He was asked if he'd ever throw at his grandmother, his reply, "Only if she was crowding the plate."
And of course, I know you're well aware, Sal Maglie wasn't called The Barber for shaving the faces of batters with a razor.Which is why Hawk's perpetual ranting about how the whole problem of batters getting hit would be solved if they'd just have the pitchers bat is completely ridiculous. Back in the "good old days", hitters were more of a target than they are today. And instead of getting drilled in the ribs, guys like these and others (Drysdale comes to mind) would put one in your ear.

gobears1987
08-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Mazzilli is a drillrod.

Brian26
08-03-2005, 09:03 PM

Yep, that's the way it is supposed to be done. We get our revenge, and then the umps step in and issue the warnings. It's as close as you're going to get to "letting the players take care of themselves".

santo=dorf
08-03-2005, 11:32 PM
http://www.frontiernet.net/~joe14580/captain%20obvious.jpg

Duh....

RadioheadRocks
08-04-2005, 10:32 PM
Mazzilli's history anyway... like his opinion matters any more!!!

DC Sox Fan
08-04-2005, 10:34 PM
you say bad things about the family, Mazz, and you know what happens...
:sopranos

Hitmen77
08-04-2005, 11:12 PM
Mazzilli is a drillrod.

Mazzilli...HE GONE!