PDA

View Full Version : Never mind "you write Tribune headline" thread...

TommyJohn
08-02-2005, 08:50 AM
...has anyone checked out Carol Slezak today? I won't befoul these boards by linking to it, but give it a go. Warning: do so on an emtpy stomach.

The Racehorse
08-02-2005, 08:58 AM
That has to be the dumbest headline ever... ever.

TornLabrum
08-02-2005, 09:05 AM
That has to be the dumbest headline ever... ever.

Forget the headline. The story seems to be an application for a job at the Cubune.

Uncle_Patrick
08-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Seriously, how nauseating. "The Cubs have been bad this year...but they still might make the playoffs. There are other teams ahead of them...but they still might make the playoffs." Talk about drinking the Cubbie Kool-Aid. We would never see an article like this about the White Sox if they were in the same position.

Hitmen77
08-02-2005, 09:08 AM
This is the worst part of the article:

It's enough to make you feel sorry for the St. Louis Cardinals and the White Sox, who have been the two best teams in baseball all season. If recent history is any indication, they don't have a chance to win it all. The team formerly known as the Anaheim Angels (2002), the Florida Marlins (2003) and the Boston Red Sox (2004) -- wild-card entrants all -- won the last three championships. Despite the great season they're having, the White Sox must be trembling at the thought of their nemeses, the Oakland Athletics, winning the American League wild-card berth. So much for the regular season really mattering.

TornLabrum
08-02-2005, 09:08 AM
Seriously, how nauseating. "The Cubs have been bad this year...but they still might make the playoffs. There are other teams ahead of them...but they still might make the playoffs." Talk about drinking the Cubbie Kool-Aid. We would never see an article like this about the White Sox if they were in the same position.

And if that did happen, Sox fans would be all over her for being unrealistic.

zach23
08-02-2005, 09:39 AM
Carol Slezak is probably the worst writer in Chicago. All the years I had a subscription to that worthless rag she writes for, I never read anything from her that wasn't worthless fluff. I am glad that I cancelled my subscription a few years ago, I don't miss it.

Madvora
08-02-2005, 09:46 AM
10 games left against the Astros... hmm...
That just means that the Cubs will be 10 games further out of the wild card then they are today.

TornLabrum
08-02-2005, 09:51 AM
10 games left against the Astros... hmm...
That just means that the Cubs will be 10 games further out of the wild card then they are today.

Just remember: If the Cubs even manage to split those 10 games with the 'Stros, they'll be just as far behind them as they are now.

Dick Allen
08-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Slezak lives in "Wrigleyville", if I'm not mistaken. There's built-in bias right there. She's completely worthless.

Iwritecode
08-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Never mind that three other teams also are ahead of the Cubs in the wild-card standings, one team is tied with them and another three teams are close behind. It doesn't matter.

It's true that the Cubs have played poorly all season. It's true that they have given no indication that they'll start winning games in bunches any time soon. Yet, technically, they are alive.

Never mind that the Cubs have managed to turn the Friendly Confines into a most unfriendly home field this season, winning only one more game than they've lost there.

True Flub logic. Sure they've been playing horrible, but that just doesn't matter. They're the Cubbies!!!

Despite playing 11 games against the Cardinals and 10 against the Astros between now and season's end, maybe the Cubs will get hot and stay hot. Maybe Jim Hendry's trade-deadline acquisition, Matt Lawton, will be able to do what neither Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston nor Neifi Perez was able to do and enliven the team from the leadoff spot. Maybe Nomar Garciaparra will not only return to the lineup, but also play like the Nomar of old. Maybe Kerry Wood will thrive in the bullpen. Maybe, together with Scott Williamson, Wood will stabilize the shaky pen. Maybe Greg Maddux will get a second wind. Maybe the Cubs suddenly will learn how to advance runners and play unselfishly. Maybe Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez will continue to produce runs in bunches. And come season's end, maybe the Cubs will find themselves on top of the wild-card standings.

Is that all that has to happen? Well hell, they'd better start printing playoff tickets tomorrow!

jackbrohamer
08-02-2005, 10:55 AM
The cub apologists use to their advantage that it takes a long time for even a bad team to be eliminated. Colorado won't be eliminated until late September, so do they have "hope" also?

maurice
08-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Last week, she penned a faux fluff piece on Frank. It pretended to be complimentary, but contained numerous statements to the effect of: "Some people say that Frank Thomas is a big doo doo head, but Sox fans like him." She's a POS.

zach23
08-02-2005, 12:42 PM
In the past she wrote a lot of articles questioning why Sox fans were so obsessed with the cubs and pointing out the anti-cub shirts sold near the Cell. Her masterpiece was the World Series preview she wrote in February - March of 2004 comparing the Cubs and Yankees teams with a prediction of the series outcome.

She is a cub fan who hates the Sox and it shines through in her writing. Then again, the majority of the press in town is the same.

Dick Allen
08-02-2005, 01:07 PM
In the past she wrote a lot of articles questioning why Sox fans were so obsessed with the cubs and pointing out the anti-cub shirts sold near the Cell. Her masterpiece was the World Series preview she wrote in February - March of 2004 comparing the Cubs and Yankees teams with a prediction of the series outcome.

She is a cub fan who hates the Sox and it shines through in her writing. Then again, the majority of the press in town is the same.Has this bimbo ever seen all the anti-Sox shirts sold outside Wrigley Field? She conveniently never mentioned that.

Soxaholic
08-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Don't forget WE BELIEVE! The only positive for Cub fans this season is Sandberg making the Hall. Maybe if she keeps writing great articles like this one, she'll land a job next to Mariotti and Bayless on ESPN. :o:

voodoochile
08-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Despite playing 11 games against the Cardinals and 10 against the Astros between now and season's end, maybe the Cubs will get hot and stay hot. Maybe Jim Hendry's trade-deadline acquisition, Matt Lawton, will be able to do what neither Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston nor Neifi Perez was able to do and enliven the team from the leadoff spot. Maybe Nomar Garciaparra will not only return to the lineup, but also play like the Nomar of old. Maybe Kerry Wood will thrive in the bullpen. Maybe, together with Scott Williamson, Wood will stabilize the shaky pen. Maybe Greg Maddux will get a second wind. Maybe the Cubs suddenly will learn how to advance runners and play unselfishly. Maybe Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez will continue to produce runs in bunches. And come season's end, maybe the Cubs will find themselves on top of the wild-card standings.

Yeah and maybe I'll start crapping gold nuggets instead of **** and be able to retire by the time the Sox sew up the division...:rolleyes:

SOXSINCE'70
08-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Carol Slezak is probably the worst writer in Chicago.

:windsock:

"I work for the same rag.What about me????":D: :D:

mcg
08-02-2005, 02:55 PM
It's true that the Cubs have played poorly all season. It's true that they have given no indication that they'll start winning games in bunches any time soon. Yet, technically, they are alive.

It's only August 2nd. Technically, the Royals are still alive.

I'm not seeing the point of those three sentences. :?:

mr_genius
08-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Yeah and maybe I'll start crapping gold nuggets instead of **** and be able to retire by the time the Sox sew up the division...:rolleyes:

:tongue:

mr_genius
08-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Carol Sleazk IS the worst sports writer in Chicago

i know they had to hire a female writer and I KNOW that there had to be better candidates

*** suntimes

BTW, she has been horrible since day one

voodoochile
08-02-2005, 03:06 PM
:tongue:

Yeah, sure, make fun of me and my amazing gold producing sphincter...

NO POOP for you... NEXT! :D:

pudge
08-02-2005, 03:25 PM
Carol Slezak is probably the worst writer in Chicago. All the years I had a subscription to that worthless rag she writes for, I never read anything from her that wasn't worthless fluff. I am glad that I cancelled my subscription a few years ago, I don't miss it.

no joke, she's brutal

So.ILSoxFan
08-02-2005, 03:46 PM
I know it's here somewhere.....ah ha!

:chunks

SOXPHILE
08-02-2005, 03:49 PM
We shouldn't be surprised. This is the same writer who, a little over a month ago, wrote an article about attending a Cubs and a Sox game in the same day. She went to Wrigley for the day game, and U.S. Cellular for the night game. What we learned from the article was:

1) It was a hot day, but she was cold sitting in the shade at Wrigley
2) She talked on her cell phone quite a bit at the Cubs game, and didn't pay too much attention to the actual game itself
3) She thinks adults who wear baseball jerseys are weird
4) After the Cubs game, her hair was messy.
5) She rode the El to the Sox game, but we got the impression she wasn't too comfortable with it.
6) It was rainy that night, and she got the seat of her pants wet from the water on the seats
7) Sox fans seem more in tune to the game than the crowd at Wrigley. (DUH !)
8) Whe she got home, her hair was even more messy, she was tired, and her dog had pooped on the floor.

Wow. That's Pulitzer Prize stuff right there.

davenicholson
08-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Just remember: If the Cubs even manage to split those 10 games with the 'Stros, they'll be just as far behind them as they are now.
Mmmmmmmmmmm, Stroh's!!!

http://www.mibeercans.com/images/Stroh/Stroh_B150-20_Stroh's_P.JPG

zach23
08-02-2005, 03:53 PM
We shouldn't be surprised. This is the same writer who, a little over a month ago, wrote an article about attending a Cubs and a Sox game in the same day. She went to Wrigley for the day game, and U.S. Cellular for the night game. What we learned from the article was:

2) She talked on her cell phone quite a bit at the Cubs game, and didn't pay too much attention to the actual game itself
5) She rode the El to the Sox game, but we got the impression she wasn't too comfortable with it.
6) It was rainy that night, and she got the seat of her pants wet from the water on the seats
8) Whe she got home, her hair was even more messy, she was tired, and her dog had pooped on the floor.

Maybe she has decided to just post he personal blog entries directly to the Cub-Times now.

LuvSox
08-02-2005, 04:08 PM
http://www.mibeercans.com/images/Stroh/Stroh_B150-20_Stroh%27s_P.JPG

Oh the memories!!!! :gulp:

davenicholson
08-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Oh the memories!!!! :gulp:
Oh, the hangovers! :redneck

chisoxfan64
08-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Someone should call the cops on her. She is stealing money from the paper. No one in their right minds would pay someone to write crap like this.:angry:

Steakpita
08-02-2005, 04:54 PM
:gulp: I'm just going to post that instead of saying something sexist, as I'm sorta tempted to do ::sigh:: Very poor writing. Nice work on finding that Stroh's pic, though.

Dick Allen
08-02-2005, 05:20 PM

Wow. That's Pulitzer Prize stuff right there. Judging from the picture they run of her in the paper, messy hair would be an improvement.

chisoxfan64
08-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Judging from the picture they run of her in the paper, messy hair would be an improvement.

A paper bag would be an improvement.:D:

ChiSoxPatF
08-02-2005, 05:42 PM
May I steal a line from some of our more cultured WSI Members and... :chunks

DumpJerry
08-02-2005, 06:00 PM

She did whine about the veggie burgers at both parks. Very insightful. BTW, those darn seats at Comiskey Uncle Jerry insisted on, they always get wet when it rains!

SoxEd
08-02-2005, 08:07 PM
*** was that article?
:?:

For the first three paragraphs, she appears to slag off the Cubs as incompetent losers, and their fans as brainless idiots, then she turns it around into a total Cubbiecrack fluff piece.

Para 4 could be interpreted as being 'in teal', and still anti-Cub, or it can be read as being pro-Cub.

5 & 6 can be interpreted either way too.

After that, it descends into pro-Cub work that this man

:sahaf

would be proud of.

Is this a Chicago writer attempting to show no bias whatsoever?
Is it a Chicago sportswriter trying to flimflam both sets of supporters?

Or is it just bad writing?
:?::?:

CaptainBallz
08-03-2005, 01:36 AM
Or is it just bad writing?
:?::?:

:rolleyes: DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!!!!!