PDA

View Full Version : How does Palmeiro's suspension affect the way you view Jose Canseco's accusations?

doublem23
08-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Just saw an interview with Canseco on TV and I got to wondering; how does yesterday's turn of events affect the way you view Jose Canseco's book, Juiced? In his book, Canseco does say that he injected Palmeiro when the two played together in Texas, despite Rafael denying it. Now that he has testes positive for 'roids, has Jose gained any more credibility, in your eyes?

mccoydp
08-02-2005, 08:03 AM
I believed him in the first place; I have no doubt in my mind that he mentioned everyone that he did for a reason. He may have written the book to make some $$$, but I don't think he's lying at all.

downstairs
08-02-2005, 08:17 AM
If you didn't believe Canseco (and I didn't think anyone out there actually didn't), then you are apparently both blind and never saw the game of baseball.

I know there is a fair debate as to how much credit Canseco diserves, if he is a good or bad guy, all that... but he is stating the obvious.

The Racehorse
08-02-2005, 09:30 AM
I've always viewed Canseco as an anti-hero. For so many years, the MLB powers schemed & connived their way around the drug issue, and the whole thing was "exposed" by a money grubber like Jose Canseco. LOL.

Ol' No. 2
08-02-2005, 09:58 AM
No question, Canseco is a self-absorbed egomaniac only looking out for himself. But he doesn't appear to be a self-absorbed, lying egomaniac.

socko82
08-02-2005, 11:42 AM
Let's see he named Giambi, McGuire and Palmeiro all confirmed. He names Pudge Rodriguez and he shows up this spring 25 pounds lighter. And then lists Sammy, Juan Gonzalez and Bret Boone who all have totally fallen apart. Coincidence?

TheOldRoman
08-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Canseco is slime. While he may have been telling the truth, he doesn't get any credit for it. He didn't write the book to change things, he didn't write the book to get steroids out of baseball, he wrote the book to get his own sleazy ass some money. He wrote down a lot of things in the book, and Im sure some of them weren't true, but we now see that most of them are. I can't say that I believe him about anything because he is such a slimeball that he would lie about anything at any moment to make money. The things in the book happened to be true, but Canseco would write about anything controversial, true or not, just to get people to buy the book. I am waiting for Canseco to wrtie an expose about gays in baseball, too.

MRKARNO
08-02-2005, 12:05 PM
I thought he was full of crap before, but now I'm to the point where his allegations actually seem quite possible. I'm not "convinced" per se that he is entirely telling the truth. But after this, I think the truth is a lot closer to what Canseco wrote in his book than to what Raffy is saying.

TornLabrum
08-02-2005, 12:16 PM
I thought he was full of crap before, but now I'm to the point where his allegations actually seem quite possible. I'm not "convinced" per se that he is entirely telling the truth. But after this, I think the truth is a lot closer to what Canseco wrote in his book than to what Raffy is saying.

Two things have convinced me that Canseco was telling the truth:

1) The sudden weight loss of Ivan Rodriguez, who should now be called "Slim" rather than "Pudge";

2) The Palmeiro suspension.

Too bad he had no direct contact with Sammy Sosa....

balke
08-02-2005, 12:19 PM
This poll should allow multi answers. He is both self-absorbed, and was telling the truth. During his interviews yesterday he was promoting yet another book.

wdelaney72
08-02-2005, 12:23 PM
No question, Canseco is a self-absorbed egomaniac only looking out for himself. But he doesn't appear to be a self-absorbed, lying egomaniac.

Exactly.

MRKARNO
08-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Two things have convinced me that Canseco was telling the truth:

1) The sudden weight loss of Ivan Rodriguez, who should now be called "Slim" rather than "Pudge";

2) The Palmeiro suspension.

Too bad he had no direct contact with Sammy Sosa....

Yeah the Pudge bit also has convinced me to a greater extent that he was telling the truth. It's not so shocking that he only has 8 HRs (it could be rationally explained by aging), but just his physical appearance makes it pretty obvious that at least something is going on there.

Also, Juan Gonzalez (the forgotten one in this whole ordeal) has been entirely unable to stay healthy the past few years. Maybe coming off of steroids may have had something to do with that? It's somewhat astonishing to think that this guy has only a few fewer career HRs than does Thomas.

jackbrohamer
08-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Everything Canseco said in his book rings true, this is just the latest example of it.

Too bad he or someone like him didn't blow the whistle 10 years ago before Major League's record book was turned into the joke that it is now.

RKMeibalane
08-02-2005, 01:05 PM
I try to avoid thinking about Jose Canseco, if that answers your question. However, it's obvious that he was telling the truth when he wrote his book. The only thing that matters now is that all the cheaters are caught and punished.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Canseco never had any need to lie. Why lie when you have enough real dirt to sell your book anyway?

SOXSINCE'70
08-02-2005, 02:32 PM
I read Canseco's book,and these charges just reinforce what he was
saying all along:prior to 2005,baseball had a "see no evil,hear no evil,
speak no evil" attitude towards 'roids.This problem existed in the late
80's as well.

voodoochile
08-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Next time make it an open poll so I can find out who is willing to bid on all those bridges I own in Brooklyn.

I cannot believe that anyone still has doubts as to the extent of the roid problem in baseball. At the time of this post there are at least 14 people who believe Canseco is lying and/or their still isn't enough evidence.

Speak up people, who are you and HOW can you honestly still believe the company line MLB is feeding you? :?:

ode to veeck
08-02-2005, 03:51 PM
believe canseco and he only knows what he knew of, which is but a small piece of it

sure he's an out of control ego maniac, but he certainly knows his roids

Mercy!
08-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Interested in Mark Buehrle’s and Ozzie Guillen’s opinions?

``I don't know what he's been taking, but personally I don't think he's taken anything illegally,'' Chicago White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle said. ``I don't think he's ever taken steroids or anything illegally to help himself to play.''

That opinion was shared by White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

``It's a shame,'' Guillen said. ``If he did it, and a mistake was made, I don't have anything bad to say about Raffy. Raffy's a great player.'' - AP

Circle the wagons.

mr_genius
08-02-2005, 04:04 PM
i always believed Jose and I DO consider him to have (in his own money grabbing way) saved baseball in some ways.

the steriod era SUCKED as far as i'm concerned

all those numbers are a joke and changed the game for the worse, hopefully MLB can get steroids out of the game and restore credibilty to statistical evaluations of a players talent level

balke
08-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Interested in Mark Buehrle’s and Ozzie Guillen’s opinions?

``I don't know what he's been taking, but personally I don't think he's taken anything illegally,'' Chicago White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle said. ``I don't think he's ever taken steroids or anything illegally to help himself to play.''

That opinion was shared by White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

``It's a shame,'' Guillen said. ``If he did it, and a mistake was made, I don't have anything bad to say about Raffy. Raffy's a great player.'' - AP

Circle the wagons.

It would be pretty classless for a player to say "Yeah, I always thought that Raffy was juicin. I mean, I imagine Valentin would've put up #'s like that for the Sox if he were on the juice too. Thank god they finally got him".

Everyone is tentatively saying "I gotta give him the benefit of the doubt" publicly... but you can read on a lot of faces that analysts and HoF voters are glad they don't have to feel the guilt of putting a roidster in 1st ballot.

I think Bonds will be taken down with distribution of an illegal substance sometime within the next 2 years. I also believe Giambi and I-rod may not be totally in the "clear" so to speak. This isn't the last big name we'll hear in my guesstimation. Hopefully we find a real commissioner, like the jerk who came down on Shoeless Joe, to say anyone associated with Steroids or Steroid distribution will be banned from the hall... Sheffield and Giambi included.

TheOldRoman
08-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Next time make it an open poll so I can find out who is willing to bid on all those bridges I own in Brooklyn.

I cannot believe that anyone still has doubts as to the extent of the roid problem in baseball. At the time of this post there are at least 14 people who believe Canseco is lying and/or their still isn't enough evidence.

Speak up people, who are you and HOW can you honestly still believe the company line MLB is feeding you? :?:
I voted for the "lying egomaniac option".
Let me clarify. I realize that Canseco was telling the truth about players who took steroids. However, he is such a slimeball that he cannot be trusted whatsoever. He wrote the book to make money, not to rid steroids from the game. It just so happened that all these guys took steroids. If nobody took steroids, he would find other bunk to write about. I am certain there are many lies in the book, just little things that make actual stories sound sexier. I come to this conclusion because he has either lied or changes his story several times already. I don't remember what specifics it was on, but he changed his story about certain things that took place with McGwire after the book was released. He also was out saying "steroids are great, there are no ill side effects, kids should take them" and suddenly turned into "I took steroids, and Im sorry. It was dumb, and nobody should take them" when he got in front of congress.

Even when he tells the truth he is still a self absorbed lying slimeball. That being said, I would venture to say that most if not all of the guys implicated in his book took roids.