PDA

View Full Version : Didn't the Sox have the first female broadcaster...

DrCrawdad
08-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Tonight on Nightline they had a short piece on the woman who does the Yankees radio broadcasts. They repeatedly referred to her as baseballs first female broadcaster. Didn't the Sox have a female broadcaster back in the '70's?

Stroker Ace
08-01-2005, 11:12 PM
I don't think so. If they did, then this girl in my speech communication class last semester should be given an F for not including her in her speech about female broadcasters.

RadioheadRocks
08-01-2005, 11:16 PM
Tonight on Nightline they had a short piece on the woman who does the Yankees radio broadcasts. They repeatedly referred to her as baseballs first female broadcaster. Didn't the Sox have a female broadcaster back in the '70's?

Yep, that would be Mary Shane... who did occasional play-by-play along with Harry Caray, Jimmy Piersall and Lorn Brown during the 1977 South Side Hitmen season.

DrCrawdad
08-01-2005, 11:53 PM
Yep, that would be Mary Shane... who did occasional play-by-play along with Harry Caray, Jimmy Piersall and Lorn Brown during the 1977 South Side Hitmen season.

You're right! I did a Google search on "Mary Shane" AND "White Sox" and found references to her as baseballs first female play-by-play announcer. I emailed Nightline with the correction.

RadioheadRocks
08-02-2005, 12:01 AM
You're right! I did a Google search on "Mary Shane" AND "White Sox" and found references to her as baseballs first female play-by-play announcer. I emailed Nightline with the correction.

Excellent work, Dr. Crawdad! I'm gonna have to find my 1977 Sox program... it has a nice pic of all 4 of the broadcasters together (as far as I know it's the only publicity photo I've ever seen of Mary Shane)... gonna have to dig that puppy out and scan and post it! :smile:

LuvSox
08-02-2005, 12:06 AM
I emailed Nightline with the correction.

I followed your lead and sent a message too.

DumpJerry
08-02-2005, 07:00 AM
I remember Mary well. She would say things like "that's a long fly ball......caught by the Shortstop!" She was fun to listen to and did not get drunk during the games like someone else we know......

Hitmen77
08-02-2005, 07:26 AM

Yes, the Sox had Mary Shane in the 70s, but that doesn't count because it was the White Sox. Since this is a network telecast, they are only aware of east coast teams and a few other teams such as the Dodgers and Cubs.

socko82
08-02-2005, 07:52 AM
Check out Jimmy Piersal Speaks! from about a month ago. He talks about working with Mary Shane.

downstairs
08-02-2005, 08:00 AM

DrCrawdad,

Sorry, but our piece was on Major League Baseball announcers. That means the Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets.

Thanks,

Ted K.

NardiWasHere
08-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Tonight on Nightline they had a short piece on the woman who does the Yankees radio broadcasts. They repeatedly referred to her as baseballs first female broadcaster. Didn't the Sox have a female broadcaster

Yeah her name is Darrin Jackson

Reichardt
08-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Mary Shane referred to Alan Bannister as Al Bannister. Used to drive me nuts.

BainesHOF
08-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Mary Shane wasn't very good at all.

Lip Man 1
08-02-2005, 12:01 PM
I sent an e-mail to Nightline yesterday after I saw what the show Monday night was going to be on. If a number of other folks did the same it wouldn't surprise me if on a future show they noted the 'update.' That has happened before.

Mary by the way wasn't a 'part time' announcer she is officially listed in the White Sox media giude (pg. 402 I think...) as being part of the 1977 broadcasting team.

And yes Piersall's interview does talk about her and how she came to be hired in the first place.

And yes she really wasn't very good which is why she only lasted one season.

Lip