PDA

View Full Version : The Sox won and the Twins lost but...

BRDSR
08-01-2005, 11:03 PM
...the magic number only goes down by 1. Why? At 55-51 the Cleveland Indians now enjoy second place in the American Central and they didn't play today. Of course this means very little, but I've got to say, it feels great to see the Twins wallowing in 3rd.

MIgrenade
08-01-2005, 11:20 PM
I don't think that's true. I believe it was at 45 entering the day and now it is 43 because the Twins were percentage points ahead of the Indians. This is discussed in another thread so I hope I'm right.

www.msn.foxsports.com/mlb/standings (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/standings)

kingpin_rcs
08-01-2005, 11:21 PM
If the Sox hang on to win the division and the lead stays at 15 games we will clinch the division in Minnesota. Just like 2000 (bad omen?)

Chances are we will clinch the division in font of the Twins or the Indians since we play them 13 of the last 17 games of the year (we play the Tigers the second to last series of the year).

Now, winning the division in front of the Twins even if they are the third place team would be sweet sweet revenge

JB98
08-01-2005, 11:28 PM
I don't think that's true. I believe it was at 45 entering the day and now it is 43 because the Twins were percentage points ahead of the Indians. This is discussed in another thread so I hope I'm right.

You are, and I was the one who had it wrong at first. Another poster corrected me.

whitesox_1
08-01-2005, 11:38 PM
to tell you the truth i want he twins to win the wild card so we can play them in the first series and kill them.

elrod
08-01-2005, 11:40 PM
I was genuinely rooting for the Twins tonight. It felt strange.

mike squires
08-01-2005, 11:44 PM
I don't like the idea of clinching away. I would much rather have it done right here in our own park in front of a sold out Sox park. In 2000 it just seemed a little anti climatic. In the middle of the inning Hawk getting all excited. It just didn't feel right. Here's hoping the Sox clinch it at home.:gulp:

Nyls Nyman
08-01-2005, 11:45 PM
to tell you the truth i want he twins to win the wild card so we can play them in the first series and kill them.
No playing the wild card from your own division in the first round. If the Twins are the wild card, the Sox will play the third seed instead.

MIgrenade
08-01-2005, 11:47 PM
I don't like the idea of clinching away. I would much rather have it done right here in our own park in front of a sold out Sox park. In 2000 it just seemed a little anti climatic. In the middle of the inning Hawk getting all excited. It just didn't feel right. Here's hoping the Sox clinch it at home.:gulp:

The Sox also lost the game on a walk off homer by someone...probably Ortiz or something. Both dugouts were celebrating, it was weird. It felt like a bad omen.

Banix12
08-02-2005, 12:40 AM
The Twins are going into freefall now. They've been hindered by their infield all season and now with the injury to Torii Hunter they are going to be lucky to remain in third. They couldn't afford to lose him for a month. One good run by the Tigers and they are in fourth place. And I'm beginning to think Toronto has a better shot at the wild card than Minnesota.

They are 6-13 in the second half so far, 2-8 in their last ten, and all of their wins came before the Hunter Injury. Only 7 times in the 19 second half games have they scored more than 3 runs a game.

Yeah they have pitching but you have to score sometimes.

RadioheadRocks
08-02-2005, 12:51 AM
...the magic number only goes down by 1. Why? At 55-51 the Cleveland Indians now enjoy second place in the American Central and they didn't play today. Of course this means very little, but I've got to say, it feels great to see the Twins wallowing in 3rd.

This is true, because of the Indians being idle today. Actually you can figure a MAGIC NUMBER to eliminate each team in the division mathematically... and whichever team is in second place at that moment has the prevailing Magic Number.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-02-2005, 12:55 AM

www.msn.foxsports.com/mlb/standings (http://www.msn.foxsports.com/mlb/standings)
You are. The magic number, as we all know, is any combination of Sox wins and second-place team's losses. Though the Twins and Toons entered the day in a virtual tie for 2nd, Minnesota had one fewer loss. Now the losses are even, the magic number is 43, and the Twins are headed for 4th place. :D:

One question: I'm new this year, so is there also a superstition about starting Cleveland game threads?

doublem23
08-02-2005, 04:57 AM
Funny what a little competition does to the Twins; one team in their division gets very good and two others become all right and suddenly they fall apart. :rolleyes:

Sox Blue 69-70
08-02-2005, 05:18 AM
Funny what a little competition does to the Twins; one team in their division gets very good and two others become all right and suddenly they fall apart. :rolleyes:

A little competition? I think it's more a function of injuries, age and defections of key players. The Twins are not the team they were the past several years, particularly offensively. I don't think that the Indians and Tigers seriously scare anybody.

doublem23
08-02-2005, 05:33 AM
I don't think that the Indians and Tigers seriously scare anybody.

I'm not really worried about them either, but they are more competitive than the miserable teams they fielded the last few years that could pretty much be banked on to lose 90-100 games a year.

jehosaphat
08-02-2005, 07:10 AM
The Twins and Sox have switched places based on the consensus preseason prognistications (try saying that 3 times in a row). The Twins were suppose to be running away with the AL Central in August based on strong pitching, and the Sox were suppose to be the team on the decline with the likes of Cleveland and possibly even Detroit taking on the the role of divisional bridesmaid. As humble Howard Cosell used to say "That's why they play the games".

downstairs
08-02-2005, 08:04 AM
Put it this way:

Don't think of teams. Just think of "the second place team" as the team we're ahead of.

Yesterday morning we were 14.5 games ahead of "the second place team". Today we're 15 games ahead of "the second place team."

Those teams happen to be different teams from one day to the next, but our number of games ahead of WHOEVER is in second is all that counts.

Hitmen77
08-02-2005, 08:12 AM
The Sox also lost the game on a walk off homer by someone...probably Ortiz or something. Both dugouts were celebrating, it was weird. It felt like a bad omen.

To make it worse, it was in the Metrodome - it looked like the Sox were in a frickin' TV studio. Total contrast from the '83 and '93 clinchers.

Hangar18
08-02-2005, 08:15 AM
If the Sox hang on to win the division and the lead stays at 15 games we will clinch the division in Minnesota. Just like 2000 (bad omen?)

Chances are we will clinch the division in font of the Twins or the Indians since we play them 13 of the last 17 games of the year (we play the Tigers the second to last series of the year).

Now, winning the division in front of the Twins even if they are the third place team would be sweet sweet revenge

Per my prediction, the SOX will clinch in MInny weekend of Sept 16,17,18

SpringfldFan
08-02-2005, 08:24 AM
The magic # is not hard to understand, really. Just assume all the contenders win every remaining game on their schedule (it is impossible of course but assume it anyway). Now, how many games do the Sox need to win to finished alone in first? That is your answer.

SFF

downstairs
08-02-2005, 09:09 AM
The magic # is not hard to understand, really. Just assume all the contenders win every remaining game on their schedule (it is impossible of course but assume it anyway). Now, how many games do the Sox need to win to finished alone in first? That is your answer.

SFF

Yes, that is true. However there is a more accurate number out there called the RIOT number (calculated for clinching 1st in the division and making the playoffs):

http://riot.ieor.berkeley.edu/~baseball/american_league.html

The nice thing about this number is that it takes into account the schedule. It actually IS physically impossible for both the Sox and Twins to win all their games, since they play each other.

So this number is a little more accurate.

CaptainBallz
08-02-2005, 09:51 AM
At what point shall we begin equally wishing bad things upon the A's and whoever is #2 in the Central....

Iwritecode
08-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Per my prediction, the SOX will clinch in MInny weekend of Sept 16,17,18

My prediction is that they'll clinch at some point during that week (11th-17th). Either in KC or Minnesota.

Of course they are at home the week before and the week after so I'm really hoping that I'm wrong and they can manage it at home.

LVSoxFan
08-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Yo it's not the Twins I'm worried about in a wildcard, it's the A's. And they're starting to pull away with it...

anewman35
08-02-2005, 10:52 AM
At what point shall we begin equally wishing bad things upon the A's and whoever is #2 in the Central....

For me, a few weeks ago.

Lip Man 1
08-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Don't worry, the A's are going to win the division. That means at it currently stands the Sox will play the Angels or Yanks in the ALDS. Both will be tough.....but not as tough as Oakland!

It's all good. If the Sox face the A's it'll be in the second round which is a best of seven. Big difference...more room for error.

Lip

Foulke You
08-02-2005, 04:12 PM
It's all good. If the Sox face the A's it'll be in the second round which is a best of seven. Big difference...more room for error.
Lip
I was thinking the same thing. I'd much rather face the A's in a 7 game series than a 5 game series. I think with the Sox pitching, we would outlast them in a longer series.

Foulke You
08-02-2005, 04:14 PM
To make it worse, it was in the Metrodome - it looked like the Sox were in a frickin' TV studio. Total contrast from the '83 and '93 clinchers.
Yes but my best memory of the 2000 clincher was Paul Konerko sporting a new Division Title T-Shirt holding a beer and doing a victory lap around the bases complete with a slide into home plate without spilling his beer. A classic moment.:D:

jehosaphat
08-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Yes, that is true. However there is a more accurate number out there called the RIOT number (calculated for clinching 1st in the division and making the playoffs):

http://riot.ieor.berkeley.edu/~baseball/american_league.html

The nice thing about this number is that it takes into account the schedule. It actually IS physically impossible for both the Sox and Twins to win all their games, since they play each other.

So this number is a little more accurate.

Cool! Never heard of this. It is interesting. Thanks.

MIgrenade
08-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Don't worry, the A's are going to win the division. That means at it currently stands the Sox will play the Angels or Yanks in the ALDS. Both will be tough.....but not as tough as Oakland!

Lip

I don't see the A's making it past the first round because they have a lot of young pitching. I think that overall inexperience will hurt them. I know the Sox have little playoff experience but at least they have been in the league long enough to know how to win. There's no guarantee Huston Street doesn't get lit up in the playoffs when the stakes are higher.