PDA

View Full Version : The W word

ChiSoxPatF
08-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Listening to Dickerson and Golnic on ESPNRadio, Dickerson used the word that sent dread down my spine. He said the Sox will be in the World Series. While I'm sure everyone here is thinking about this as much as I am, this word is still taboo to me.

Does this send chills down anyone else's spine for someone else to say this? It makes me nervous even thinking about it.

Rocklive99
08-01-2005, 11:51 PM
Hawk answers emails about it and talks about it as a sure thing, which bothers me. I think we are the best team, but the best team doesn't always win, and I think you should treat this like a no hitter. I get the same feeling you do when hearing it

Palehose13
08-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Hawk answers emails about it and talks about it as a sure thing, which bothers me. I think we are the best team, but the best team doesn't always win, and I think you should treat this like a no hitter. I get the same feeling you do when hearing it

Ditto.

Corlose 15
08-01-2005, 11:58 PM
I'm not gonna talk about the World Series until the Sox record the last out of the ALCS. Hopefully that happens this year.

MIgrenade
08-02-2005, 12:02 AM
I don't believe in these jinxes, but I do find it fun to go along with. The reality is that broadcasters will often refer to a no hitter when they are happening in order to either keep people watching who may not be paying attention otherwise, or to jinx the opponents pitcher. Unless you are actually in the ear of the pitcher, or in this case, the team, it really doesn't matter what you say.
I try to avoid talking about WS possibilities because I'm afraid to get my hopes up. I know they are the best team, but that doesn't always ensure victory.

GiveMeSox
08-02-2005, 12:29 AM
I'm not gonna talk about the World Series until the Sox record the last out of the ALCS. Hopefully that happens this year.

I second that train of thought. Lets not get to far ahead of ourselves. We have a lot of work to do. If we have to face the A's in the playoffs at some point that will be a huge test and a struggle. Lets get their first before we write it off as a sure thing.

elrod
08-02-2005, 12:31 AM
At this rate, not making the World Series will rank up with the 2001 Mariners in disappointment. The AL teams with the best league record and not make it to the World Series are:

2004 Yankees
2002 Athletics and Yankees (they had the same record but the Angels made it)
2001 Mariners
2000 White Sox
1997 Orioles
1996 Indians
1987 Tigers
1985 Blue Jays
1983 White Sox
1981 Athletics
1980 Yankees
1977 Royals
1975 Athletics
1974 Orioles
1973 Orioles

The AL teams with the best records who DID make it to the World Series were:
2003 Yankees
1999 Yankees
1998 Yankees
1995 Indians
1993 Blue Jays
1992 Blue Jays
1991 Twins
1990 Athletics
1989 Athletics
1988 Athletics
1986 Red Sox
1984 Tigers
1982 Brewers
1979 Orioles
1978 Yankees
1976 Yankees
1972 Athletics
1971 Orioles
1970 Orioles
1969 Orioles

In the playoff era, 16 teams finished with the best record in the AL and did not make it to the World Series. The Yankees, Orioles and Athletics did it three times. 20 teams with the best record in the AL made it to the World Series. The Yankees did it 5 times, the Athletics and Orioles did it 4 times. In the Wild Card era, the best team has qualified 4 times (1995 Indians, 98, 99, 03 Yankees) and failed to qualify 7 times (with the Athletics and Yankees both counting in 2002). The only team to have the best record more than once and NOT make it to the World Series: that's right, the White Sox.

whitesox_1
08-02-2005, 12:33 AM
every one knock on wood.

Erik The Red
08-02-2005, 12:50 AM
Listening to Dickerson and Golnic on ESPNRadio, Dickerson used the word that sent dread down my spine. He said the Sox will be in the World Series. While I'm sure everyone here is thinking about this as much as I am, this word is still taboo to me.

Does this send chills down anyone else's spine for someone else to say this? It makes me nervous even thinking about it.
Yeah, I got the same feeling. It's like talking about a no-hitter while it's in progress.

batmanZoSo
08-02-2005, 12:56 AM
What we say as fans has nothing to do with what will happen. If you don't want to say World Series, fine. If you want to be like Hawk and openly expect nothing less, fine. Deep down I know this is the year because we've always gotten burned in all those "next years," but I've decided to expect nothing going in to reduce heartbreak. Whatever happens will happen. We have no control over it. I'm just glad we will be seeing the Sox in the playoffs. For now, that's enough to make me happy. When we get there, then I'll worry.

Question: if we didn't have the best record in 93, why did we host the ALCS? I take it the East and West divisions simply altered by year who hosted it, but I was 11 at the time and don't remember how that worked back then.

elrod
08-02-2005, 12:57 AM
Question: if we didn't have the best record in 93, why did we host the ALCS? I take it the East and West divisions simply altered by year who hosted it, but I was 11 at the time and don't remember how that worked back then.

They didn't start awarding home field to the best record until 2000, I believe.

batmanZoSo
08-02-2005, 01:26 AM
They didn't start awarding home field to the best record until 2000, I believe.

I had no idea. I have an excuse though as a Sox fan. :wink:

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-02-2005, 07:23 AM
I concur with this thread...think about it to yourself...don't talk outloud. It's not a curse thing either...it's just like the previous post: "when they record the last out in the ALCS..."

White Sox Randy
08-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Talk about the World Series !

When is the last time you had the chance ?

Fredsox
08-02-2005, 08:22 AM

I concur wholeheartedly! There is no such thing as a jinx and talking about the White Sox being in the World Series has nothing to do with them making it. I would suggest that because we have a long way to go (58 more regular season games and the playoffs against the elite of MLB) I am careful to say this is no sure thing. It isn't.

But on the other hand Ozzie has the team focused, Herm has the team reasonably healthy, and we have no major holes in our team. Getting to the World Series and winning it is the name of the game, and frankly I like our position right now. I don't think I'd trade situations with another team in MLB. Would anyone here care to swap with the Red Sox? The Cardinals? The Angels? Not me.

downstairs
08-02-2005, 08:26 AM

But... the magic World Series fairies will hear you talking and jinx us!

Heh. I agree with you. Yeah, I'm a fan. Whatever I feel cannot scientifically be translated onto the field, no matter how hard I try.

Talking about the World Series is not going to bring any more disappointment if they don't make it, because I have expected it for quite some time now (expected it from a point where even Sox fans called me crazy).

Anything less than a World Series win is a disappointment this year. So lets talk it up! We friggin' disserve it!!

TDog
08-02-2005, 12:11 PM
The fun of a baseball season is the season itself when your team is winning. Those summer afternoons at the ballpark when your team is winning. That's why we revere 1977 because we were having so much fun while it lasted. I was in college at the time and drove up for a lot of weekend games in my old Maverick. In 2000, I was working in suburban Milwaukee and driving down on weekends to get there as soon as the gates opened to hang out in what seemed the happiest place on earth. I have great memories of 1972, when I was still going to Munster High and went to all the Sunday afternoon home games. In the middle of 1983, I was getting a better job in a different city, and I still recall the exhilaration I felt while driving down Arizona Highway 95 and listening to a radio sports report describing how the White Sox had pulled out to a 6-game lead at the beginning of August with a thrilling win.

As fans, he baseball season is there, every day for six months and the background of our lives. You have to enjoy the fun seasons, especially when your team doesn't have that many.

And consider that this season, for the first time in any of our lives, for the first time since -- forever, the White Sox have not played and may not play any team with a better record.

I don't want to worry about the World Series, as much as I want it to happen. I want to enjoy this season.

I would love to see the Sox find themselves 5 outs away from the World Series, playing at home in Game 6 of the ALCS with a 3-run lead. But if it comes to that, my stomach would be in knots until the Sox win.

Madvora
08-02-2005, 12:18 PM
If this happened, I think I might seriously cry.
I can't imagine the feeling or what I would do or where I would be (hopefully at the game.)

This board would explode during playoff time and tensions would be out of hand if we even lost one game.

Realist
08-02-2005, 12:30 PM
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:
"We are the Sox... shuffling through..."

Dick Allen
08-02-2005, 12:35 PM
As they say, the season is a marathon but the playoffs are a sprint. Too many crazy things can happen. I will remain hopeful but not expect anything. Just my nature.

TaylorStSox
08-02-2005, 12:44 PM
The best record during the regular season is meaningless. The hottest team going into the post season is the favorite.

wdelaney72
08-02-2005, 12:46 PM
The thing to remember is once the playoffs start, the regular season means NOTHING. Therefore, I think it's WAY too pre-mature to talk about the world series. I'm only concerned with finishing the regular season with some decent momentum and healthy players.

FoulTerritory
08-02-2005, 02:11 PM
The best record during the regular season is meaningless. The hottest team going into the post season is the favorite.

You are correct. This is why wild cards have had so much post season success. Most wild card are crisp, cause they've fought till the end of the season for their spot, and hot, which is indicitive of the fact that they are the team that pulled off the wild card spot.

When we clinch, Ozzie needs to keep this team playing balls out. One of Manuel's most grievous errors was sitting our regulars for nearly the entire last week of the regular season in 2000. The playoffs are not as much about rest, as being hot and in sink.

ChiSoxPatF
08-02-2005, 03:14 PM
But... the magic World Series fairies will hear you talking and jinx us!

Heh. I agree with you. Yeah, I'm a fan. Whatever I feel cannot scientifically be translated onto the field, no matter how hard I try.

I am not really talking about jinxes just the anxiety that that word brings about being a Sox fan. I am absolutely thrilled about this season, boarding on obsessive, but when Dickerson mentioned the World Series it churned my stomach.

I will be a complete nervous wrecked during the playoffs as I'm sure most of you will too. :(: Sleepless nights, nervous days, and living and dying by every pitch. It just scared the be-jeebus outta me when he had the gall to say that we were going to the World Series.... God I'd love it, but just don't talk about it. Lets focus on the here and now and enjoy it while it lasts because the post season is too much of anarchy and too high of stakes to start predicting who will be in the World Series, let alone giving most of us the first WS experience of our lifetimes during such an amazing season.

Lip Man 1
08-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Randy:

Good question....as for me that word was being discussed in 1960, 1964, 1967, 1972, 1977, 1983, 1990, 1993, 1994 and 2000. :smile:

Lip

woodenleg
08-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Randy:

Good question....as for me that word was being discussed in 1960, 1964, 1967, 1972, 1977, 1983, 1990, 1993, 1994 and 2000. :smile:

Lip

I remember sitting next to my brother at a game in 2000 and asking him if he thought they were going to go all the way. He said "yeah, why not?" and I laughed. Of course, that was in June, but come ON. Apparently, his memories of 1983 had been totally wiped out.

Still, I think it's stupid to think about it now. Not because of superstition, but there's just no point in thinking about that now. If you're thinking about it too much, you need to get some extra hobbies.

LVSoxFan
08-02-2005, 03:48 PM
If we manage to win the division--and while it looks good, there's still a long way go--I'm not even thinking about the World Series until we get there. Assuming we win, there's only one thing I'm thinking about: beating Oakland in the playoffs.

If we break that jinx and manage to overcome them, I think the big Mo would be pretty unstoppable. Not quite like when Boston pulled it out with the Yankees, but similar.

That's the team who I see in our rear view mirror this year, waiting to do a Seattle/2000 on us.

Mark
08-02-2005, 03:48 PM
The high-stakes pressure of the postseason scares me, just like it always has.
I'll be no less anxious this year than I was in '83, '93 or 2000. But there's something about this team that gives me some positive vibes.

As for the ultimate straw of potential irrelevance that I'm lightly grasping right now? I became a Rams fan in '67 and saw them come out of nowhere 33 years later (and after numerous playoff disappointments) to win the Super Bowl.

I became a Sox fan in '73, and after seeing several playoff disappointments, hope to see them win a World Championship in 2005, 33 years later.

Stranger things have happened, I suppose...

A.T. Money
08-02-2005, 05:53 PM
I'll feel more confident as soon as we win a home playoff game. And win the first round.

BNLSox
08-02-2005, 06:05 PM

Best post I've read in a long time. Very Clever!

DickAllen72
08-02-2005, 07:05 PM

Carl was leading the rehearsal for the video in the dugout Saturday. :smile:

Optipessimism
08-02-2005, 07:41 PM
I'll feel more confident as soon as we win a home playoff game. And win the first round.

The first round particularly scares me because I don't think we have a team that is made to sweep anybody, but rather a team that will beat you with depth in a longer series. If we play the A's then I'm more worried, because they have some pitching that, although largely young and unproven, can dominate on any given day. Also, in a short series you may not get to see Buerhle and Garland twice each. In a longer series, I think we have the edge because I don't think anybody is going to be able to go 3-1 or 4-0 against our top two, especially since they go so deep into the game and could take us right to our closer.

FoulTerritory
08-02-2005, 10:45 PM
The first round particularly scares me because I don't think we have a team that is made to sweep anybody, but rather a team that will beat you with depth in a longer series. If we play the A's then I'm more worried, because they have some pitching that, although largely young and unproven, can dominate on any given day. Also, in a short series you may not get to see Buerhle and Garland twice each. In a longer series, I think we have the edge because I don't think anybody is going to be able to go 3-1 or 4-0 against our top two, especially since they go so deep into the game and could take us right to our closer.

Obviously there is a long way to go, but I think the A's will end up winning the West, and I don't think the Wild Card will come out of the Central. I think our likely 1st round matchup will be with either the Red Sox, Yankees, or Angels, depending on which one gets the wild card. I think we match up fairly well with these teams.

But yeah, if we play the A's in the first round . . . . We Gawn! Or at least thats my doom and gloom opinion.